Power Line EMI Meter - Alpha Labs (Demo Program)

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Interested in the Shunyata outcome...

I may or may not have a vested interest in that. B)

Ha! Oh yeah, a Shunyata upstairs too in the spare room! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    I have a Furman and a Shunyata down there!

That sounds obscene.

Lot's of power conditioner debauchery in Verb's house! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Interested in the Shunyata outcome...

I may or may not have a vested interest in that. B)

Ha! Oh yeah, a Shunyata upstairs too in the spare room! :smile:

Clarifying Hydra8

;)
  • verb
    Very good - you have a great memory! :smile: Along with the user's manual you gave me! :smile:
  • verb
    So this is interesting. Super clean power upstairs in the spare room. Nothing running except the rig and ceiling light.
    mtt27loau17o.png
    Now checking the Shunyata Hydra 8, with the rig still running. No change. Interesting for sure.
    fikyigus0a4u.png
    Can't clean already clean power? Interesting. As mentioned previously, EMI, although a biggie, is not the only factor when it come to power conditioning.

It would certainly be interesting to bring the Hydra8 down into the office, and swap it out with the WW Spaceport.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    That is odd... Must be the lead lining
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    So maybe the computer and florescent lights is causing the issue in the other room?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    erniejade wrote: »
    So maybe the computer and florescent lights is causing the issue in the other room?

Not sure, but will track down the circuit, and see what else is connected to the office on the main floor. After that, isolate the components one by one.
    So far, this tool IMO is very helpful to get an idea of what the power signature looks like in the house.
  • erniejade
    Maybe turn the florescent light off unplug the computer and see if it changes. From what you described between the two rooms, they seem to be the biggest difference.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I've had ps noise harvesters and quiet lines add emi in some situations where the reading is already low. I also have a Furutech flux 50 that does the same thing. But if the line is really dirty the Furutech does an amazing job of cleaning it up and dropping the numbers as much and in some cases more than a good pc.

The lowest reading I've seen thus far is a steady 11 on my Furman pc on TG morning. When it's low like that the noise harvestors all stop blinking and the quiet lines will almost double that low number.
    I'm wondering if anyone tested any aftermarket power cords yet?
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited December 2019
    Let me rephrase for my friend Drew

I’m looking forward to his update as he has the new AQ 1200 Niagara in his system.

Whenever he has time.
  • verb
    So this is interesting. Super clean power upstairs in the spare room. Nothing running except the rig and ceiling light.
    mtt27loau17o.png
    Now checking the Shunyata Hydra 8, with the rig still running. No change. Interesting for sure.
    fikyigus0a4u.png
    Can't clean already clean power? Interesting. As mentioned previously, EMI, although a biggie, is not the only factor when it come to power conditioning.

It would certainly be interesting to bring the Hydra8 down into the office, and swap it out with the WW Spaceport.

So @Clipdat advised me that perhaps the Shunyata is cleaning the circuit both ways, as he experienced with his power conditioner recently. So I'm gonna try it. Unplug the Shunyata from the wall, and do before and after measurements.
    Fun did I say? For sure! I love test data! :smile:
  • erniejade
    I believe what Drew told you. One of the MIT filters i have actually is supposed to do that. As long as its plugged into the same set of outlets, its supposed to filter noise. I imagine other filters could work the same way.

https://mitcables.com/product/predator-3-ac-plug-in-noise-trap/

• motorstereo
    FWIW this adapter is all that's needed to test those aftermarket cords. I've had a few surprises and I'd be interested to see if anyone else does to
    xljtp9hrn0w2.png
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    so.... what are the numbers on the display of this gizmo and what is the proportionality constant (or are they linear?) with respect to reality?

I see stuff like this and I remember an old, old episode of All in the Family, when Archie was taken by some schmoe using a light meter to indicate how badly insulated his windows were.

Just thinkin' out loud here (OK -- technically, just thinkin' with my fingers, as usual)... but ever curious, ever skeptical*, and always wantin' to learn new stuffs.

The 21st Century is a funny time. We buy stuff that generates tonnes of dirty, broad-band RFI hash (switch-mode power supplies, switching amplifiers, LEDs running off AC, and high-speed microprocessor based gizmos) then we buy more stuff to suppress the trash they generate. Capital capitalism -- reminds me of (self-appointed) Dr. T. S. Geisel's story The Sneetches. :)

33k031fx2or5.png

Interesting excerpt from the owner's manual. Gives some guidelines as to what a good value is or not.
    1bnwzcsj5ccl.png

@mhardy6647
  • verb
    So I'm still getting my learning on about EMI, but here was a good introduction for me:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    My time spent with the AlphaLab EMI meter was incredibly insightful! I love things like this that display a measurement in real-time, and also represent that measurement audibly.

I took measurements several times a day over the course of the two weeks I had the meter. I quickly realized that determining reliable patterns of what the noise level was going to be at a given time of day was nearly impossible.

For example, sometimes in the middle of the day on a weekend I'd see levels below 100. Other times around that same time of day, they would be between 200-400. Furthering this pattern of unpredictability, I took a few a measurements in the evening after 11:30pm and it resulted in a reading of ~430. That was definitely not what I expected to see at that hour. Then the next evening at midnight I took a measurement from the same outlet and it was at 42.

These results demonstrated the unpredictable nature of noise on a shared power grid, especially in an apartment environment. One thing that did seem somewhat constant was that if my downstairs neighbor was home, the numbers would typically be higher, but not always.

Going back to the meter's speaker for a moment, it was very interesting how you could hear different types of electrical noise on the line. At times I could actually hear what I perceived as some device starting and then stopping a few seconds later. Sometimes the sound would phase and modulate slightly, similar to the effect of trying to tune in an AM radio station. Other times it would seem to have a slight pattern to the static, or a static blip when dropping to 117v and then going back up to 118v. Dave's photos show 120v and 121v, but in my experience it was almost always 118v or 119v. I don't think I ever saw it actually display 120v.

Let's take a look at some of the different circuits that I measured at roughly 2pm on a weekday:

Dining room: 45
    Kitchen: 39
    Bathroom: 205
    Living room: 255
    Living room media center power strip (TV powered off, cable box, receiver powered off, etc): 980
    Living room computer power strip (Desktop PC turned on, cable modem, powered speakers idling, etc): 1200
    This number would change when doing any activity on the PC, for example if I dragged around a window, it would fluctuate up to 1500 or so. If I launched a full screen game that utilized the graphics card, the number went to 2000+, it was actually beyond the scope of what it could measure and it just said something like "2+"

Taking a look at the bedroom circuit where my stereo system is:

Outlet that the stereo is plugged in to, top empty plug: 41
    With PS Audio Dectet turned on: 24

One of the unused outlets in the room, Dectet turned on: 27

The outlets on the PS Audio Dectet itself, gear turned off:
    High Current: 45
    Bank 1: 55
    Bank 2: 56

So, interestingly, the Dectet's own outlets were reading higher than the unused outlet on the same wall palate, as well as the other outlets in the room on the same circuit.

It was interesting to turn on a Class D integrated and watch the number rise by 15-20. This confirms what I've seen in Shunyata's videos/literature about noise being put back into the line from attached gear, and how they strive to address that in their products.

Another interesting observation was that when powering on the Class D integrated, and having the meter plugged into the "Bank 2" outlets that are supposed to be "isolated", the reading still increased. So that made me question the efficacy of separating analog gear from digital gear on the different banks, if it's all connected anyway.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Clipdat wrote: »
    In a way, I'd say this shows that like measurements for our components, the EMI measurements may not always tell the whole story about how your system will sound.

Yes! Great statement. Couldn’t agree more.

And Thank You for the in depth review
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Pardon my ignorance, but does this just plug into an outlet like a normal piece of gear, or does it have probes?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited December 2019

So, interestingly, the Dectet's own outlets were reading higher than the unused outlet on the same wall palate, as well as the other outlets in the room on the same circuit.
    After the first week with the meter, I swapped out the PS Audio Dectet for the Audioquest Niagara 1200 and took more measurements. I noticed similar behavior with the Audioquest. The numbers from the unused plug on the wall outlet would be about 115 with it off, and then when switching it on, they'd drop to about 90. Measurements from the AQ's outlets were about the same, typically hovering in the 90s.

This is interesting..........It doesn't seem like either of the power centers are filtering out any of the RFI interference!

Are they just expensive power strips?

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    In Drew’s case, when you’re on a really really shared service (an apartment-like setting where most likely one large incoming service line feeds an entire building) the need for a regenerator can help tremendously . . . Just my $0.02
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    delkal wrote: »

After the first week with the meter, I swapped out the PS Audio Dectet for the Audioquest Niagara 1200 and took more measurements. I noticed similar behavior with the Audioquest. The numbers from the unused plug on the wall outlet would be about 115 with it off, and then when switching it on, they'd drop to about 90. Measurements from the AQ's outlets were about the same, typically hovering in the 90s.

This is interesting..........It doesn't seem like either of the power centers are filtering out any of the RFI interference!

I think you'd need to know more about the nature of the noise to answer your question(s). I.e., don't throw your power conditioners under the bus a priori just because a little black box shows you a number (IMO, of course).

This is the skeptical worldview of a guy who has made a living for nigh-on four decades as an analytical scientist.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2019
    Pardon my ignorance, but does this just plug into an outlet like a normal piece of gear, or does it have probes?

It simply plugs into an outlet and uses a detachable cable that looks like this:

61O1XpUWm3L._SX425_.jpg
  • verb
    Thanks for sharing your results Drew! Very interesting for sure. One take away for me is that there are many contributors to noise in the system, different flavors of power conditioners, and the obvious benefit of having a dedicated line for your rig.

But also, IMO, EMI is a contributor to noise. This device allows you to measure it and identify areas of improvement. That’s what I like about it. Without it, you’re resigned to trial and error.

Is it the final answer? Of course not. As always, let your ears be the judge.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

It simply plugs into an outlet and uses a detachable cable that looks like this:

61O1XpUWm3L._SX425_.jpg

Wow..... for some reason I thought you need probes or something stupid like that....

Any chance I could get in on the demo then? I'm curious how my loft setup (using outlets on a shared circuit) compares to my family room (3 dedicated circuits, on the other side of the breaker box than the loft).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2019

I don't think so. Compare the numbers of 80-100 on the AQ, vs 980 on my $10 media center power strip. Albeit with different gear connected, but the AVR and TV on the media center power strip weren't even powered on and it was still reading nearly 1000.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited December 2019

I don't think so. Compare the numbers of 80-100 on the AQ, vs 980 on my $10 media center power strip. Albeit with different gear connected, but the AVR and TV on the media center power strip weren't even powered on and it was still reading nearly 1000.

I would not be concerned with numbers around 50. Close enough. But if I read correctly you said you were getting numbers around 470 directly from the Dectet at times. That would have to make me wonder.......

Just for fun can you try plugging in your power conditioners to the noisy computer strip? If these conditioners do anything the number coming from the power out should be well under 1000.
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^^^^^Now that's a pretty big difference between those 2 units. Were they getting power from the same outlet for the comparison?