Power Line EMI Meter - Alpha Labs (Demo Program)

verb
verb Posts: 10,176
So I have to admit. @motorstereo got me thinking about this whole noisy electrical line thing, and others, here on CP, touting the benefits of having separate dedicated lines for your precious audio gear.

Yep I have power conditioners. Furmans, Wireworld Spaceport, and Shunyatas. All purchased without really knowing how much noise was in the lines before the conditioners were installed. Improvements? Of course. Dramatic? In some cases, yes! :smile:

Well how noisy is noisy? Alpha Labs has this nifty little device. It measures EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) and provides a numeric reading! No more guessing, swapping devices, listening for differences, etc. Here you can simply measure what noise, if any, your electrical lines are producing!

Pretty cool, IMO. :smile:

And, now you can experiment with other devices that are connected to the same line as your audio gear!

Is your computer on the same line as the rig? What about the overhead lights? Keurig? :smile: And so on. This way you'll be able to measure directly how each one of them contribute to the noise.

The goal of course is to remove as much EMI noise as possible entering your rig!

yw5fyq05oc2b.png

wt5jy7flf48i.png

https://www.alphalabinc.com/product/plm/

Starting today, I am sponsoring a demo program for this device. You can use it for 2 weeks, and all I ask is you post your findings on this thread, and ship it to the next person!

Let me know by posting a comment on this thread if you're interested, and I'll keep track!

Oh yeah, you must be a member in good standing, and have at least 100 posts. :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.

Comments

• verb
    Oh yeah, our first user of this device is our very own Drew! @Clipdat has been busy running around his home measuring everything! Plugging and unplugging, swapping components, like a wild man!

Looking forward to your impressions Drew! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    I'm interested. Installed a dedicated 20 amp line and planning to add a couple more.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    In!!! This is really cool.
  • verb
    @monepolk and @Conradicles are in!
  • verb
    Interesting excerpt from the owner's manual. Gives some guidelines as to what a good value is or not.
    1bnwzcsj5ccl.png
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    This is a damn fine gesture on your part Verb and I'm sure it'll be helping out a lot of Polkies get a bit more out of their systems.

Reading over the owner's manual I see I've gone from "severe concern" to "no concern" on my dedicated lines. Swapping lines at the breaker box took maybe a half hour of switching over to the 120 line that isn't loaded with noise. The difference is noticeable and with a good pc cleaning it up a bit more it's even more dramatic. Another fun thing to do is to get an adapter and test those aftermarket power cords. I've had some surprises there as the manufacturer isn't always honest with their claims I've found. I've also had some surprises in testing the different outlets on the backs of pc's as they vary in noise to. The most filtered outlet isn't always the quietest and in some cases I've found pc's that actually added noise. Have fun guys and I look forward to seeing some results posted.

Again kudos to Verb for being so generous!!
  • verb
    This is a damn fine gesture on your part Verb and I'm sure it'll be helping out a lot of Polkies get a bit more out of their systems.

Reading over the owner's manual I see I've gone from "severe concern" to "no concern" on my dedicated lines. Swapping lines at the breaker box took maybe a half hour of switching over to the 120 line that isn't loaded with noise. The difference is noticeable and with a good pc cleaning it up a bit more it's even more dramatic. Another fun thing to do is to get an adapter and test those aftermarket power cords. I've had some surprises there as the manufacturer isn't always honest with their claims I've found. I've also had some surprises in testing the different outlets on the backs of pc's as they vary in noise to. The most filtered outlet isn't always the quietest and in some cases I've found pc's that actually added noise. Have fun guys and I look forward to seeing some results posted.

Again kudos to Verb for being so generous!!

Thanks Motor! Appreciate you sharing your learnings with us! I for one, am on the same path you took not so long ago! Thanks for the inspiration! :smile:
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Thanks for doing this, and please count me in B)
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    A similar, yet different device found in my tool box (from the same company) is the EMF tester

https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

Looking forward to the reported results.… I may have to borrow this bad boy when it circles back to Verbs house

AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    @verb this is an awesome offer. Thank you for doing it and please count me in.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • motorstereo
    GlennDog wrote: »
    A similar, yet different device found in my tool box (from the same company) is the EMF tester

https://www.trifield.com/product/trifield-emf-meter/

Looking forward to the reported results.… I may have to borrow this bad boy when it circles back to Verbs house

There's an EMF detector app for a smartphone if someone wants to try it first.
  • verb
    Here's the list so far! I took the liberty of going next! :smile:
    cv6xknfgm3wy.png
  • motorstereo
    Nice and the owner should go next imo; Now hopefully ClipDat will post something about his findings
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    Can’t wait to see some results with this.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Will post up some results later this week.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    @verb, very nice of you to offer this. I'd like to participate. I'm in the Northwest if you're setting up by region. TIA.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    In as well. I also have a device from MIT that is supposed to help take noise out of the lines. This device can help tell me if it actually does anything :) Very nice offer.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Please count me in for this. This will be very interesting since I really don't have a dedicated line for the components. I'm also using conditioners and noise harvesters so I can't wait to see the results. Excellent Demo Verb.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »

Anxiously awaiting your report Drew! :smile:
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Cool deal.....I'm in!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    edited November 2019
    Must have discovered his computer was adding to much noise and can no longer post
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    The meter arrived safely the other day - thanks Drew! :smile:
  • verb
    Updated list!
    8boeqh9skmmu.png
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Clipdat wrote: »

??
  • verb
    This is gonna be fun!
    So I plugged this baby into a wall outlet adjacent to the WW Spaceport in the office. Computer is on, lights on, office rig running, everything as I would normally do.
    Readings were off the chart! :smile: And, it gives a nice audible tone, kinda white noise-ish sounding.
    4w9bynm1iat8.png
    Now plugged it into the Spaceport - wow! :smile: Huge difference!
    2ym50y6ksi0o.png
    I have a cheapo Monoprice power strip that I use to plug my laptop in when doing work, which is also plugged into the Spaceport. Not much difference, which is good. Nothing plugged into the power strip, will do some measurements as I have to do some work tonight.
    hwxaa0xdwazz.png
    More to come! :smile:
  • motorstereo
    Now that is some seriously dirty power.... and it looks like the spaceport is doing a good job cleaning it up
  • verb
    Now that is some seriously dirty power.... and it looks like the spaceport is doing a good job cleaning it up

Yup. Next is the basement. Overhead fluorescent lights, old school, but I have a Furman and a Shunyata down there!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    I have a Furman and a Shunyata down there!

That sounds obscene.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Interested in the Shunyata outcome...

I may or may not have a vested interest in that. B)