Tesla Model S Police Car's Battery Ran Dry During High Speed Chase

Options

Comments

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It’s not going to be a niche market for much longer. The world’s largest manufacturer in 2018 (VAG) has already announced that they will discontinue ICE’s in 2026.

“The year 2026 will be the last product start on a combustion engine platform”.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ... Let's do some math. A Honda accord, nicely equipped, is about 40K. The remaining 40K difference buys a lot of gas. Let's say 40 bucks a tank, give or take, that's 1000 tanks of gas. Let's say you fill up 3 times a month, that's 333 months. Roughly 27 years worth. An accord is no slouch in the gas mileage department, and isn't a smog hog either. Your lawn mower probably throws out more Co2...

Might as well compare a Honda Accord to a MBZ S-Class. The Model 3 would be a better comparison. It’s tedious to keep up with all the price changes in 2019, but the Model 3 definitely starts at under 40K, and is very well equipped for that price category. Premium configurations are still under 50K.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Might as well compare a Honda Accord to a MBZ S-Class.

Agree. Not fair to the Benz.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    edited September 2019
    Options
    An S-Class is not my thing, but they are fantastic cars to drive. However, the point is that one cannot realistically compare a Honda Accord mid-sized family sedan to a large luxury sedan like the Model S and say that the Model S is too expensive in comparison.
    Alea jacta est!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’m reminded of the debate not too long ago about the venerable incandescent light bulb. Government intrusion at its finest. Forcing us to abandon the ole tried and true, and super cheap, technology. And buy those CFLs. Ugh. And way more expensive.

Oh yeah, then the CFL disposal industry emerged, ‘cause those little guys had mercury in em! An industry that didn’t exist prior, only then came to existence because of government intrusion. Unforeseen consequences of forcing something upon the people.

But then, as private industry always does, developed a competing LED technology for the mass market. Where are CFLs now? All but supplanted by LEDs! Free market at work.

My point is that will the ICE go away? Probably. But not for a long time. Yeah VAG and others (heck my own company made a similar proclamation), but the transition will take decades, IMO.

Will the plug in electric be the prevailing technology to supplant ICE in the future? Again, probably not IMO.

My bet is on fuel cells. Still electric, but you fill em up with hydrogen, takes 10 minutes, and off you go! Freedom! :smile:

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    I think this whole debate is a moot point. It 30-40 years, 90% of all people will never leave home and just order everything on Amazon.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Government intrusion at its finest. Forcing us to abandon the ole tried and true, and super cheap, technology. And buy those CFLs. Ugh. And way more expensive.

Oh yeah, then the CFL disposal industry emerged, cause those little guys had mercury in em! An industry that didn’t exist prior, only then came to existence because of government intrusion. Unforeseen consequences of forcing something upon the people.

Did they EVER last 7 yrs or xxxx number of hours like advertised? NEVER did at my house. I did find them to run much cooler than the LED's

Most LED's I've bought never last more than say a year or two before they go to strobe. I've bought many different brands, I've not have any lasted the amount of time advertised yet. I guess if I left them on all the time and never shut them off maybe, but who the heck needs lights on in the daytime ? Would that not still be a waste of energy ?

• Kex
    Options
    I would actually have liked to see Hydrogen Fuel Cell take off, and the industry largely supported them as their preferred option, but the infrastructure problems must be too difficult to solve. Compare to how quickly VAG and Tesla expanded their charger networks.

We still see Fuel Cell vehicles on the road here regularly, and we have a fueling station close near our local store, so we could even use one, but if VAG have abandoned Fuel Cell in favor of EV, I’m not sure they’ll ever go back.
    Alea jacta est!
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I still love my incandescent bulbs! Still use em, cause they’re cheap. If you can find em nowadays. Ugh. Yeah some of the early LEDs were junk, as most first gen technology, but the reliability is certainly much improved.

And prices are way down. Free market competition!

Heck, finding the sales receipt from seven years ago, in order to return it, forget about it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Options
    There are too many acronyms in this thread for anything to make sense. :o
  • verb
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I think this whole debate is a moot point. It 30-40 years, 90% of all people will never leave home and just order everything on Amazon.

That Jimmy, is true for a lot of folks today! :smile:
  • Viking64
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Viking64 wrote: »

That Jimmy, is true for a lot of folks today! :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdSqLfuRN18
  • verb
    Options
    I would actually have liked to see Hydrogen Fuel Cell take off, and the industry largely supported them as their preferred option, but the infrastructure problems must be too difficult to solve. Compare to how quickly VAG and Tesla expanded their charger networks.

We still see Fuel Cell vehicles on the road here regularly, and we have a fueling station close near our local store, so we could even use one, but if VAG have abandoned Fuel Cell in favor of EV, I’m not sure they’ll ever go back.

Yep. Much like the gas station infrastructure way back in the day, all new, and expensive.

Quick charging stations already have the grid to connect to.

Hard to predict what our world will be like in 30 years! :smile:
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    Cobalt and lithium supplies are going to fall far short
    Of the demand this will create.
    Battery prices will skyrocket.
    This will be the challenge in this going forward.
    Cobalt mining is already a pretty shady business.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    The truth of the matter is electric cars are anything but green.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    edited September 2019
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Cobalt and lithium supplies are going to fall far short
    Of the demand this will create.
    Battery prices will skyrocket.
    This will be the challenge in this going forward.
    Cobalt mining is already a pretty shady business.

Agree ! No matter whether oil, coal or the raw materials for these "clean green" products there is always a devil in the details to deal with. Still need 95% fossil fuels whether it's coal or natural gas to get the electricity. That still produces CO2 and other byproducts. I wonder if in 25yrs we'll find a Times Beach, Love Canal or any number of other Superfund sites out there from the production of the batteries or other items from EV's?
  • charley95
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The truth of the matter is electric cars are anything but green.

I must agree!
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    cmy330go wrote: »

That's providing one is even available. You have to set up an appointment. Again, time is the value here. Driveway mechanics need not apply.

Tesla's still have to have maintenance, tires, front end, axles, suspension, engines alone are not the only things on a car that need maintenance.

How about you get in an accident ? Shop has to be Tesla approved and parts may not be so quick to come. Then there's insurance, which is going to be a tad more than a regular car.

Pluses and minuses to everything, but just like SACD, it's a niche market. If it works for you, roll with it, but as something that can be applied to the masses, still not the answer.
    I guess it's human nature, but many have this amazing ability to concoct a million hypothetical situations in which an EV is not the ideal choice, and therefore conclude that EVs are stupid. Yet the few that stop to think about what the majority of their driving really is, and look at it with a less prejudice, and open mind, often come to find out that they would be happier with it.

Now I'll openly admit that my situation was totally different. Over 4 years ago I bought a Model S basically because it's silly quick, and I thought it would be interesting to own. I also at any given time have more cars than I need (it's an addiction) so I had the luxury of not caring if it wasn't that useful. I had no idea it would end up being my goto car 95% of the time. Hence the reason we just added a second one to the garage.

I now clearly see that for the vast majority of 1st world dwellers, EVs will become the preferred mode of transportation.

Sure, there are those where it doesn't fit. But the number of people going off half-cocked about how EVs are a joke, are just making fools of themselves.

Since I was apparently too subtle yesterday.

Which I chose to ignore, because you obviously missed the part where I said if it works for you, roll with it. Your veiled insults hide your ability to have a civil conversation.

Things I brought up are not hypothetical, it's reality. Most take for granted the things a gas car offers, until it's not there anymore. The questions I asked, still not answered, nor things addressed I brought up like accidents, insurance, parts, time. I don't consider accidents a "hypothetical situation". I don't consider power outages hypothetical either. Ask anyone who lives along a coast how long their power can be out after a hefty storm.

I get you like your Tesla, cool...like I said if it works for you, roll with it, but it isn't the answer for everyone.

...and btw, I never said they where a joke or stupid. Because I questioned certain things you assumed that. Sorry you got bu-tt hurt by me asking questions or pointing out areas where it may not work for others. They where never pointed at you directly, more so the industry as a whole.

Don't act like you were bringing up honest questions that you wanted answered. Might I remind you that most of these supposed questions came up after you had already made this idiotic narrow-minded statement: "Driving a Tesla isn't about saving money on gas or the environment. It's a statement car, like a Benz or Ferarri. A car so rich people can ease their conscience." Nearly every last one of your so-called questions were rhetorical. You already are somehow convinced in your mind that you know nearly all of the ins and outs of EVs and ownership and are posing these "questions" in such a way as to cast a shadow over EVs. Why? I have no clue. Personally I couldn't care less what your opinion is, or whether you'll ever even own one or not. What I have an issue with is the use of these "questions" in such a way that obviously just pushes your personal twisted agenda/preference, and puts flawed thinking into the minds of those that actually might have honest questions.

Now for those that may actually like answers to a few of your "questions":

Insurance Cost: Depends on the company, and what you would have bought instead. I personally would have likely bought a similarly priced luxury sedan. In which case, my insurance actually got cheaper due to EVs generally having better safety tech, and being less prone to theft. Now those that are looking at going from some other kind of car, say a Honda Civic perhaps, to a base Model 3, are no doubt going to shell out more for coverage. So obviously it would pay to calculate whether fuel, and maintenance savings are going to be enough to counteract that.

Accidents/Body Work: It's an aluminum body, just like a growing number of new cars. Therefore the shop needs to be qualified to deal with it. If Des Moines, IA has an authorized shop, chances are there's some in your area too.

But what if you're driving to the moon, and the chargers are 20 minutes in the other direction, and then when you get there it's out of...blah blah blah...?: In most regions there is no shortage of chargers. Check out supercharge.info, and plugshare.com. The number of chargers already in existence is quite shocking to most, and there are more going in constantly. Also, an increasing number of hotels, and vacation rentals are installing "destination" chargers, or outlets that can be used. All it takes is a little bit of for-thought to plan a road-trip.

I'm not by any means saying EVs are perfect for everyone. Never have. Never will. To be perfectly honest, they aren't perfect for me roughly 10% of the time. Just this week I had to tow a heavy trailer about 400 miles. So the EVs stayed in the garage, and the Tundra got put to work. But the other 90% of the time they are awesome!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Somebody is seriously butthurt.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• charley95
    Options
    This could get ugly maybe. Isn't this similar to the guy who had a Nissan Leaf on here?!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Might as well consider the environment political

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    All I know is there will be a day when countries then individuals will be slaughtering one another for fossil fuels if we all don't comvert to EV's. Fossil Fuels WILL run out eventually.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Nightfall
    Options
    audioluvr wrote: »
    All I know is there will be a day when countries then individuals will be slaughtering one another for fossil fuels

Already happens and there's plenty.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Might I remind you that most of these supposed questions came up after you had already made this idiotic narrow-minded statement: "Driving a Tesla isn't about saving money on gas or the environment. It's a statement car, like a Benz or Ferarri. A car so rich people can ease their conscience."
    \

I think both of you are wrong and right. The first gas cars, electric cars, solar panels, etc. were items for the wealthy. There is no debate there! Even back in the late 1800's-early 1900's when electric cars outnumbered gas cars, they were unobtainable for the average person... until the Model T came along. So, the "cars for the rich" statement held some weight at one time for gas as well as electric. Electric has gotten better today but there is still some truth to the statement.

Think about the solar industry....an industry that I work in. Not too long ago solar panels were inefficient and expensive. Only the more affluent were buying solar systems years ago. Fast forward....just like solar, EV vehicles have gotten better and cheaper and can be a viable means of transportation for some middle class.

Nevertheless, when the negatives are factored into something like a Tesla Model S there's a certain reality that can't be ignored. When the Winter temperatures plummet, the practicality of driving a Model S on a long trip across several states lessens when one also has a Lexus SUV in the driveway. In some ways it does become an expensive toy...just like the Porsche or Ferrari. Heck, the all-wheel drive Porsche might be a better alternative.

Again the current and upcoming $35K-$50K cars that travel 200-300 miles make more practical sense...even for those in a higher income bracket. I'm OK with government incentives to get the EV industry going, or solar, etc. However, again looking at the Model S as an example, the facts are clear. Its generally a car for the wealthy that probably have other expensive cars in the driveway. Read here:

[quote'Morning Consult]These PEV government incentives largely benefit the well-to-do. The average annual income of a Tesla owner is $146,000. The median age is 54. Because PEVs require a driveway or garage for an electric hookup, 88 percent of Tesla owners also own their own home, the median value of which is $348,000.

PEV subsidies and tax benefits transfer money from the broad population of middle-class and working-class people to a small group of wealthy and successful homeowners at the peak of their earnings power. Even if we debate the necessity of subsidies, most would agree that net value should flow in the opposite direction.[/Quote]

So, right now EV's have gotten better and are more obtainable....but we are far from 'there' yet. Its going to be interesting to see what VW, Volvo, etc. do in the future and if they can keep to their claim of ending production of ICE vehicles. For now, I sure do have a thing for the VW Arteon. If I could buy a new car today this hatchback sedan would be it:
    2397c40f-fc64-4749-9120-570df257a41d-arteon_hills.JPG?crop=3178,1860,x581,y408&width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

I looked one at the dealer for $50K...too rich for my blood. Then, I missed out on a clean 2016 Toyota Avalon with low miles at a a $16,500 asking price. So, I ended up with a Chrysler 300S with 20K miles for about half what these cars go for new. The 300's are going away next year along with other big sedans like the Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus, etc. So, its bitter sweet as I'm a big sedan guy over an SUV...but I like to have an SUV in the family.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Kex
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Still need 95% fossil fuels whether it's coal or natural gas to get the electricity...
    The U.S. E.I.A. states that as of 2018, 64% of U.S. energy is from fossil fuels. This includes 35% of energy generation from natural gas, which emits approximately half as much CO² as coal-fired power stations. Coal accounts for 27% of energy generation. So the U.S. already generates as much energy from renewable sources as the primary non-renewable source today, and that figure continues to grow.

This started off as a story about a police chase in an EV. They ran out of juice during the chase at the end of their shift. It turns out, the car was not charged the night before. Maybe an ICE chase car that wasn’t fueled the night before would have run out of gas too. The car was able to continue to a charging station without assistance.

In any case, Tesla’s give multiple, increasingly obvious warnings before they run out of juice. If the warnings are ignored, then even when they get to 0 miles of reported range, they reportedly might still manage to drive for another 20 miles. The warnings include increasingly visible warnings in the instrument display, limiting speed to around 60 mph and slower acceleration. There is an auxiliary battery that continues to power the displays, brakes, power steering etc.

Maybe as an actual owner, @cmy330go has more information to share on this from personal experience.

If you don’t like EV’s, don’t buy one.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    This started off as a story about a police chase in an EV. They ran out of juice during the chase at the end of their shift. It turns out, the car was not charged the night before. Maybe an ICE chase car that wasn’t fueled the night before would have run out of gas too.

100 % agree
    But if the LEO finds his ICE vehicle low on fuel he stops at gas station and 2-3 minutes later he is back on patrol. Why the EV driver failed to charge after he noticed is anyone's guess. Time maybe ? I don't know personally.

Yea I'll never be able to afford one and do not care at all if you buy one, have one and love it. That is the way the world goes round not all of us should like everything the same it would be a very boring world and in this country we are free to explore many many different things.

The fatiguing aspect comes from those who preach that they are so much greener. Like I stated earlier there's always a devil in the details somewhere, nothing in life is free and clear. 25yrs from now we may find out one way or another. I remember electric's in the 70's then as now it's going to change the world only time will tell actually.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Gasoline powered cars are far better for the long term health of the planet than battery power will ever be. Just one volcanic eruption emits more CO2 during its cycle than mankind has done in 150 years of the Industrial Age.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • charley95
    Options
    Gasoline powered cars are far better for the long term health of the planet than battery power will ever be. Just one volcanic eruption emits more CO2 during its cycle than mankind has done in 150 years of the Industrial Age.
    HOW DARE these volcanos emit harmful gases into our atmosphere! :D