Tesla Model S Police Car's Battery Ran Dry During High Speed Chase

I bet you didn't know there is a Tesla Model S police car.

The City of Fremont, California has one (the Tesla factory is located in Fremont) and during a car chase, the Tesla police car's battery ran dry.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Police-Tesla-in-High-Speed-Pursuit-Runs-Low-on-Battery-Power-Fremont-561297591.html

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    According to a Fremont police spokesperson, Geneva Bosques, the Tesla hadn’t been recharged after the shift preceding Hartman’s.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    I know it's easy to hate on electric cars, I love gas vehicles myself, but some of the Tesla models are pretty damn fast. In a world where I made really good money I would absolutely buy a P100D. Along side a gas car though, not exclusively.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,548
    edited September 2019
    Electric vehicles have myriad advantages over I/C engine vehicles -- torque and mechanical simplicity being the primary ones. In the early age of cars, the fastest and most powerful models used either electric power or steam (external combustion).

That said, range anxiety, for me, trumps the advantages (at least in terms of using an electric as a primary vehicle). Teslas (and even other, lesser electrics, e.g., Leafs and Bolts) are amazingly common & popular around here. There is a lot of 'tech savvy' money around here, due mostly to the proximity of an Ivy League University (I presume). There is a Tesla fast charging station (what do they call 'em?) that's fairly conveniently located on the 'strip' of shopping centers just off of I-89 (less than 15 minutes from here)... but the terrain and the cold winters would make me nervous about depending on one, especially in the winter.

That said -- it's not like a police car couldn't run out of gas during a chase, either, you know?

Luddite that I am, I (still) think a plug-in hybrid, like the erstwhile Chevy Volt, is the best contemporary solution. One may recharge a plug-in at home, off of one's
    photovoltaic system. Not fast, but the way I look at it, every kW-hr that doesn't come from a fossil-fueled power plant is a little less CO2 for the system to worry about. :|

And, for this thread -- I'll just overlook the begged question of the safety and the net environmental and even geopolitical impact(s) of lithium ion batteries :#
  • Did the perp stop and wait while laughing ?
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    Guess the po' coulda gunned it at the last second, crashed into the perp and taken 'em all out in a final, kerosene-fueled blast of lithium battery glory...
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,977
    I wouldn't be too worried about cold issues. I see at least 2-3 Model S every day up here and they drive them in the winter.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    Isn't a Tesla model S around 80K ? That's a huge chunk of change. I think more drive a car like that to make a statement, much like an Italian sports car, rather than for practical purposes.

Let's do some math. A Honda accord, nicely equipped, is about 40K. The remaining 40K difference buys a lot of gas. Let's say 40 bucks a tank, give or take, that's 1000 tanks of gas. Let's say you fill up 3 times a month, that's 333 months. Roughly 27 years worth. An accord is no slouch in the gas mileage department, and isn't a smog hog either. Your lawn mower probably throws out more Co2 .

Driving a Tesla isn't about saving money on gas or the environment. It's a statement car, like a Benz or Ferarri. A car so rich people can ease their conscience.

Police don't need fast cars anymore. Can't out run the radio.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    Isn't a Tesla model S around 80K ? That's a huge chunk of change. I think more drive a car like that to make a statement, much like an Italian sports car, rather than for practical purposes.

ur62uaxmq1p5.png

I think it was probably Tesla makin' the statement to Fremont, in this particular case.
    At any rate, based on my years of involvement with municipal finances (in two different states now! :) ), the po get their ve-hickels at a pretty substantial discount. Not that they're cheap, but they're cheap for what they are.
    Police don't need fast cars anymore. Can't out run the radio.
    That's like sayin' police don't need donuts. ;)

So... ummm... around here, they are all driving pretty evil looking Dodge Chargers (or whatever those things are called nowadays). I haven't seen many in Nissan Versas, you know?

bqc6bf0okl07.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,239
    Our local police stopped using cars many years ago. They are now all larger Ford or Chevy SUV's with a COP interceptor motor 300+ HP. Yet NONE of them haul folks they arrest or pick up they call a van for that and stick them in the cage.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Our local police stopped using cars many years ago. They are now all larger Ford or Chevy SUV's with a COP interceptor motor 300+ HP. Yet NONE of them haul folks they arrest or pick up they call a van for that and stick them in the cage.

You know, it's funny, now that you mention it. Harvard had moved to SUVs years back; still see lots of cars in service even with local police up here in (northern) NH. The local police have a mixture (50/50, I think), a couple of (marked, black & white) Ford Edges and a couple of (unmarked, black on black) Chargers. The paradox hadn't dawned on me 'til I saw @pitdogg2's post! :*

In the US, choice of police vehicles - IMO - is all about intimidation.
  • tonyb
    Lot more open roads down by you Ivan. City dwellers....what's the point, you can't go fast anywhere for any length of time.

Even my suburb has chargers as police cars, waste of money IMHO.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Willow wrote: »

Ha, it's their money to waste I guess. Notice the number to call on the car, turn it upside down.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited September 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

You know, it's funny, now that you mention it. Harvard had moved to SUVs years back; still see lots of cars in service even with local police up here in (northern) NH. The local police have a mixture (50/50, I think), a couple of (marked, black & white) Ford Edges and a couple of (unmarked, black on black) Chargers. The paradox hadn't dawned on me 'til I saw @pitdogg2's post! :*

In the US, choice of police vehicles - IMO - is all about intimidation.

Of course it's about intimidation, would you listen to or respect them if it wasn't ? Much like parents intimidate their children to a point, a little fear of god is a good thing....up to a point that is, then it becomes abuse.

Even the way they dress is about being intimidating. You wouldn't listen to them if they dressed like the Village People would ya ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • To outperfom the Tesla S P100D you would need to drop 1.5M on a Ferrari LaFerrari or 875 thousand on a Porsche 918 Spyder.

The P100D with full Ludacris mode I think is the area of $135,000.00.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • Nightfall
    Of course it's about intimidation, would you listen to or respect them if it wasn't ?

Yes and yes.

• mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    [

Even the way they dress is about being intimidating. You wouldn't listen to them if they dressed like the Village People would ya ?

but, but, but... umm...

159wdd22vv3n.jpg
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/f19d3d49-be22-4ca6-9903-64d86984fbf2

B)

• tonyb
    To outperfom the Tesla S P100D you would need to drop 1.5M on a Ferrari LaFerrari or 875 thousand on a Porsche 918 Spyder.

The P100D with full Ludacris mode I think is the area of $135,000.00.

It's not about performance, cops don't need that kind of performance. Especially these days , when they are adjusting their own rules for high speed chases and the surveillance state has taken leaps and bounds.

They also buy up military style vehicles, for what purpose ? Intimidation ? Fend off shoulder rocket launches, 50 cal. bullets ?

The intimidation aspect is to defend government from the likes of you, the average Joe citizen and the not so average crap starters. The angrier society gets, the more they beef up.

On the flipside, the 2nd amendment is there to protect you from the likes of them. A balancing act in reality. Don't upset the balance and everyone is good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    They are not made for that kind of duty. After a few runs at the track, the battery gets too hot and power is greatly reduced.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,097
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    I bet you didn't know there is a Tesla Model S police car...
    Fun story!

L.A. is testing one, Denver has one, and Luxembourg has more than one.

In the case of Fremont, they reportedly paid about $61K before modifications, compared to $40K for the usual Ford Explorer, so it’s probably not a high performance version.

The car was reportedly at the end of its shift, and the previous user had neglected to charge it after their shift, so it was not fully charged to begin with. Secondly, it was in a high speed chase at speeds up to 120 mph. That drains power much faster than normal. A tow home was not required. A charging station was.

I’m intrigued to drive an electric vehicle for the first time, mostly because of the huge torque, but also regenerative braking (one pedal driving).
    Alea jacta est!
  • The Tesla supercharger system is a farce. It takes 75 minutes to charge to 100%. No one wants to take more than 10 minutes to accomplish this mundane task.

It should have been a robotic battery swap station that is like a fast lube place to take care of swapping in a fully charged battery in 5 minutes. If that had been done across the country as the need was rolled out, Teslas would be in every garage that can afford one. Especially with the Model 3 being such a good performance/value. They are made to go 500k miles over their planned life on the chassis as they are. This seems like a simple engineering problem that could have been handled with ease, and may be the answer to keep the dealership business model in tact for years to come. Whoever does this better will win the electric car wars.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 5,097
    The Tesla supercharger system is a farce. It takes 75 minutes to charge to 100%. No one wants to take more than 10 minutes to accomplish this mundane task.
    In my style of driving, for 350 days of the year, an electric vehicle would be charged at home, or at the final destination, overnight.

For the other 15 days of driving, I never drive more than 2-3 hours without a 30-60 minute pit stop for the driver and occupants. I would never need to limit an on the road stop to less than 30 minutes. The question for me would be whether or not those pit stops maintain sufficient charge to drive on longer excursions. My current main driver has a range of 500+ miles when driving on cruise control up to 90 mph, but in reality, it’s always at least half full before the next pit stop so I always go two stops between fills.
    Alea jacta est!
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,599
    Cop cars are about 90% chargers around here. Rest are Ford suv.
    They do high speed pursuits here. And lots of shootouts.
    The bad guys are well armed.
    Welcome to Memphis. Be prepared to duck for cover.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    Here in the NW Indiana area, many cities have gone to Ford SUV's. The counties and state still have a lot of cars. The thing I hate about the State is they have unmarked white pickup trucks. Tonyb is right, they don't need fast cars if they have these. Most speed right by them and don't realize it until they hit them with the lights....Game over!

As far as Tesla's....I didn't think I would see many around here but I started seeing them all the time years ago. I guess living an hour away from Chi was the reason but...there is a guy on my street that has one. At work we have a couple of charge station and the Director drives a Tesla SUV....only fitting for company that has a solar division. Also, Meijer Supermarkets have Tesla Supercharger stations. I see cars there all the time coming off the highway. I live about two miles south.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkweMG1ecBs
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Our local municipality uses these. Chevrolet Caprice!
    00wtlrm435zx.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Nightfall
    How about the Ford Galaxy? That was a pretty sweet cop car.

17rppn9w5on3vjpg.jpg

• cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    The Tesla supercharger system is a farce. It takes 75 minutes to charge to 100%. No one wants to take more than 10 minutes to accomplish this mundane task.

It should have been a robotic battery swap station that is like a fast lube place to take care of swapping in a fully charged battery in 5 minutes. If that had been done across the country as the need was rolled out, Teslas would be in every garage that can afford one. Especially with the Model 3 being such a good performance/value. They are made to go 500k miles over their planned life on the chassis as they are. This seems like a simple engineering problem that could have been handled with ease, and may be the answer to keep the dealership business model in tact for years to come. Whoever does this better will win the electric car wars.

False. The supercharging network is highly effective. There is seldom a need to charge to 100%. Like all lithium batteries they can be charged to roughly 80% way faster. Therefore it's not often that you need to stop more than 20-30min to make your destination or next charger. For example. Last week we took the wife's Model X from Des Moines to Chicago with just one 30min stop in Davenport.

Fast battery swaps were tested in a couple places, but were discontinued due to a lack of interest. Unless you are for some reason required to put on a ton of miles everyday, there is little advantage to it. Having a car that is topped off every morning from home-charging is more than adequate for the vast majority of drivers.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,315
    Stopping for 30 minutes to charge would be a major issue for me. I can be in and out of a gas station in about 5 minutes.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk