The Polk Legend Series is coming

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Is the SDA cable that is included similar to an A1 or will you loose out on the warranty if you choose to set them up to accept the AV1000?

No Dreadnought required, they work with non-common ground amps.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Get an amp :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL. Yikes. That’s a lot to digest.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Humm new SDA eh? Interesting. Looks like they have limited the dimensional difference signal to the mid band and above. Which IIRC they did with most 2nd gen and later models. Wonder what the actual crossover point is between the midrange and woofers? I assume in the 200-350Hz range. No pressure but we expect Jesse to get the x over schematics and have them posted by next week. :)

The re-introduction of the dimensional tweeter is also interesting. I understand the use of the tweets in 1st gen SDA's caused some undesirable artifacts. The 800's crossover is busy. A 3 way with steep slopes and an extra mid and tweet puts the parts count up fast. Obviously they had to use rather pedestrian parts to keep costs reasonable. Would like to hear them and the little 2 ways.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited September 2019
    Carton 1151 lbs

Better than 1/2 a ton apiece... wow :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    200 watts, of course.

You'll need it

Likely so.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Did everyone enjoy the build up and then the presentation?

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Absolutely. My favorite part was hearing Stu talk about the design elements like the opposing drivers and the turbine woofers.
  • So they are only doing sda with the top of the line model? I wonder if they will eventually introduce lower models with sda. Assuming these are successful.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Freaking awesome, I really wish I had the time to go to RMAF, I knew it would be special, yes Jesse I loved the build up, now I have to get my ears on a set.

I see no talk about surrounds, and the pics will show just the center, and added Atmos if desired, are they thinking no need for surrounds??
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Only thing i have is the 12' SDA cable may hamper some placements. It does appear that they did put a lot of thought into it's connection design. 12' seems short atm in my mind maybe not. I really want to hear a set for sure.
  • F1nut wrote: »

I did, Stu's interview was very interesting and informing. The release of the new SDA's is the best thing to come out of Polk Audio for quite some time, IMHO.

Nebraska Furniture Mart is my closest Dealer, that will have an unveiling and Demo in November, I will most certainly be there.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Only thing i have is the 12' SDA cable may hamper some placements. It does appear that they did put a lot of thought into it's connection design. 12' seems short atm in my mind maybe not. I really want to hear a set for sure.

This is the Polk forum, you have the means to fix the issue.. LOL!!
  • F1nut wrote: »

No, it drove me batty lol.... but the presentation.... yup loved every minute of that. They should do more stuff like that. Let us hear about the design from the designers, explain the goals, backgrounds, etc....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited September 2019
    Yesterday was a lot of fun for me. The build up, teasers, early release of the Stu video, then livestream. And the 4 threads on this forum going crazy for hours before, during, and after! Lots of fun and excitement!

Stud's video was really cool. You could see the passion in Stu, and his team, as they were describing what they do and how it applied to the design of the Legend's. Stu's description was very down to earth, you didn't have to be an engineer to understand it, IMO.

One of the very best explanations of SDA, IMO. :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Yes, the build up and the presentation(s) were great! Loved the insight and backstory from Stu. Great stuff!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited September 2019
    I am not sure I understand the kerfuffle about the Gestaltof the MR/tweeter array. It's been done, quite successfully, before, you know?

agx908c0vjsr.png

I suspect the only DSP involved in the design of these was probably THC.

:)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone said this yet. But DAMN with the grills on WOW those look gorgeous.
    Right! The picture of the L600 from the Hong Kong show didn't tell the whole story.
    09a3r3rtfch1.jpg

What a beautiful speaker. It has a retro yet modern look. Would for sure like to see and listen in person.

Polk_Legend_L600_Brown_High_3:4.png

Polk_Legend_L600_Brown_Back_Panel_3:4.png
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    Absolutely shocked when I got that email yesterday... Wasn't what I was expecting from a new line announcement. But holy crap am I ever freaking excited about the modern SDA release! Hard to believe it's even better! As someone who has never heard anything from the LSi/LSiM series, I'm very intrigued in these.

• verb
    Exquisite detail and craftsmanship. Even the outriggers, are they metal? :)
    zs2dqcw7i4iv.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Factory spiked with rubber covers.
  • verb
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Factory spiked with rubber covers.

Thanks Arty! So metal spikes, and the silver lateral pieces - are they also metal?
  • Drenis wrote: »
    Absolutely shocked when I got that email yesterday... Wasn't what I was expecting from a new line announcement. But holy crap am I ever freaking excited about the modern SDA release! Hard to believe it's even better! As someone who has never heard anything from the LSi/LSiM series, I'm very intrigued in these.

Wow! Drenis lives! How go things up north in Canada man?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    verb wrote: »
    Exquisite detail and craftsmanship. Even the outriggers, are they metal? :)
    Given the weight of the towers, that has to be metal.

And look at the great looking center channel.

Polk_Legend_L400_Brown_High_3_4.png

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Digging the walnut, cherry was getting tired
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Drenis
    Drenis Posts: 2,871
    Drenis wrote: »

Wow! Drenis lives! How go things up north in Canada man?

Hello Dan. Hope things are well with you and the fam. Your little one must be in kindergarten by now?

It's been an interesting past few years for me but I'm doing well. Thought I was done with this rabbit hole... LOL.
  • Drenis wrote: »
    Hello Dan. Hope things are well with you and the fam. Your little one must be in kindergarten by now?

It's been an interesting past few years for me but I'm doing well. Thought I was done with this rabbit hole... LOL.

Close. 1st grade this year for my oldest Skye. Scarlett is 3 (my second and last).

I’d love to catch up and hear more about the interesting past few years. PM me with details if you want.

Anyway glad to see you pop in and best wishes as always!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    Welcome back Drenis...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson