The Polk Legend Series is coming

Options

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Any info on whether the SDA speakers will be compatible with non common ground amps?

The way it is implemented is different than the original SDA's, so yes.

Sounds interesting. So there is hope for my pair of McIntosh MC300's run as bridged monoblocks? :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    something funny about needing a physical center channel speaker with SDA L and R channels, isn't there?

;)

(yeah, yeah, I know -- home theater and all that stuff... but it just seems... ironic)

It wasn't on.

I just meant the fact that the series includes a center channel loudspeaker. Seems odd to me -- but I ain't into HT, as some might say.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    I just meant the fact that the series includes a center channel loudspeaker. Seems odd to me -- but I ain't into HT, as some might say.
    The video from AVS posted by @verb does a good job IMO of explaining the SDA, but also, how they can improve HT as well. It’s hard to market a speaker in today’s world, even an audiophile speaker, and ignore HT.

Some receivers will allow for the setup of different listening profiles, so one profile could be HT with 5.2 or 7.2, and another profile could be specifically 2.0 or 2.2. No complicated wiring or bypassing required. (I have experience with NAD in this regard).
    Alea jacta est!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Turns out it looks like the L900 Atmos module is an add on feature rather than a separate speaker, and it's a midwoofer and a tweeter (not a port) that appears to be bolted into the cabinet of the L600 or L800. I'm assuming that since it's an option someone can get the speakers without the modules, but I'm wondering if they add any value in two channel systems too.

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/l900

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    LIMITED WARRANTY, BUILT TO LAST

The Legend speaker series is built to last. Featuring a best-in-class 5-year limited warranty, with a free 5-year extension when you register your product (non-transferable).
    Alea jacta est!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Turns out it looks like the L900 Atmos module is an add on feature rather than a separate speaker, and it's a midwoofer and a tweeter (not a port) that appears to be bolted into the cabinet of the L600 or L800. I'm assuming that since it's an option someone can get the speakers without the modules, but I'm wondering if they add any value in two channel systems too.

The L600 and L800 come with a covered opening on the top. Unscrew the plate, make the wire connection, screw in the optional Atmos module ($600.00 a pair) and that's it.

iyu8czjwkyml.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options

The L600 and L800 come with a covered opening on the top. Unscrew the plate, make the wire connection, screw in the optional Atmos module ($600.00 a pair) and that's it.

iyu8czjwkyml.jpg

That's clever and elegant.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    WTF is Atmos?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited September 2019
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    WTF is Atmos?

Speakers in the ceiling. Some go for speakers that attempt to sound like they're coming from the ceiling via reflections though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Options
    WTF is Atmos?

It's some kind of Dolby thing to add height to the soundfield.

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/brands/dolby-atmos.html
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Is that HT overkill?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Is that HT overkill?

Is Pass X600.5 amps overkill?
  • BlueFox
    Options
    No.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Cool, glad we settled that.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I didn't watch the unveiling -- cut the grass instead.
    Do "we" know if any or all of the new Legend series loudspeakers are US made, or assembled in the US?

Just curious.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,558
    Options
    At that price they should be made in the US! But I doubt it. I hope im wrong.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Do "we" know if any or all of the new Legend series loudspeakers are US made, or assembled in the US?

Just curious.

Designed in the USA, built in China.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Options

Just curious.

Designed in the USA, built in China.

Sounds right. Lot's of that going on these days.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Nice photos!

Are those ferrite core inductors in the XO?
    (not the ones wound on black bobbins :p )

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    PA Polkies! Lucky Dogs! :)
    apxtrugsgt5v.png

Woot!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Some specs.

ybbfc9it2zu9.jpg

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Options
    Dang Jesse - Are you the ultimate Polk Audio insider? :)
  • F1nut
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Rick88 wrote: »
    With the dizzying amount of posts in several threads on these perhaps I missed it, but for those with children and/or pets who may have concerns, do any of the models come with grills?

I'm a grill off guy myself, but I hope they come with them for people that would want them.

And oh, included with no extra charge. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that KEF does not include them and makes people buy them separately at extra cost on the latest Q Series. Never heard of such a thing...

Yes, they all come with grills at no extra charge. The L800 has a grill that also covers the top and I'm pretty sure the L600 does too.

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Grills?? Waiting for specs. Weight and all that good stuff.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Clipdat
    Options
  • verb
    Options
    OMG! I've literally spent that past 3 hours for the most part at my desk! Rocking the office rig, learning as much as I can about the new Polk Legends. Having fun for sure!

But, the Mrs has been walking past the doorway a few times, oops, dang, I get it!

Time to take her out for dinner! :)