What Is Your Other Main Hobby Besides Audio?

Milito
Milito Posts: 1,908
I am curious what other members have for a main hobby besides Audio.

My other main hobby which some of you know is iRacing which is an internet based racing simulation which is very realistic, so much so that numerous Pro drivers used it to practice on if they have never driven a track that they are getting ready to race on or just need to practice a track.

The tracks are very accurate as they are laser scanned down to one mm. If a track has a bump on it you feel it. They also race on it during their season and off season. I have raced against former and current F1 drivers on the service.

There is a NASCAR side, dirt and road side to it. NBC sports recently broadcast an iRacing NASCAR race on TV. Dale Earnhardt and Tony Stewart are examples of some of the NASCAR drivers you might see on the service. I do the road side and have been racing on there since the fall of 2010. iRacing and their sponsors are giving away $300,000.00 in prize money this year. They also have a Pro race each year which only allows real Pro drivers to race. They run Daytona, 24 hr Lemans, 12 hr Sebring and other major races at or about the same time as the real ones.

The service allows you to race people online from all over the world and you can text them or talk to them during a race. It also keeps track of every race you have ever run with all kinds of stats.

I have posted pics of my rig I designed and built myself. The PC is a 8600K over clocked to 4.8 with 16 GB of RAM with a nVidia 1080ti and a SoundBlaster sound card. Both the CPU and video card are water cooled.

My steering wheel is a direct drive unit which has virtually no lag and has much more power (force feedback) than all of the toy wheels out there. My pedals are made by a vendor who also make aftermarket Porsche parts and has a hydraulic brake, with throttle and clutch.
I use an Adcom GFA 2535 4 channel amp to power my 4 Aura 50 watt shakers which run thru software called SimVibe to give realistic forces such as bumps, texture, engine vibration etc.

I also run software to run on my 4th monitor, a USB mini monitor and another small Fire 7 tablet. They tell me my position and others in a race, best lap, best split, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, RPM, fuel consumption, and fuel remaining. I also have button boxes which allow me to do certain actions during a race.
Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited August 2019
    Video games. Modern games as well as retro games. I have a decent collection of cartridges (some boxed and complete, some loose) of everything from NES, SNES, Genesis, to original Gameboy and GBA. Even a handful of Atari 2600.

Does Forza Motorsport or Project Cars count as "real" racing? ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    edited August 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Video games. Modern games as well as retro games. I have a decent collection of cartridges (some boxed and complete, some loose) of everything from NES, SNES, Genesis, to original Gameboy and GBA. Even a handful of Atari 2600.

Does Forza Motorsport or Project Cars count as "real" racing? ;)

They really aren't a sim, but if you're having fun that's all that matters.

I use to do track days in the modded MINI Cooper S I use to own so I wanted something more realistic. I also had a twin engine racing go kart when I was 9 years old.

Like I said, some of the pro drivers use it as they are now limited a lot more how much they can practice on a track. Also some of the retired drivers use it to get their racing fix. Most of the top flight racing teams have access to a simulator for their drivers to practice on. NASCAR and F1 teams do along with others.

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/user/iRacingTV and watch some of the videos and tell me what you think.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I haven't been playing as much lately due to life getting in the way a little, but golf is my main other hobby. I'm not great, but it only takes one really good shot every round or two to keep me coming back.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I haven't been playing as much lately due to life getting in the way a little, but golf is my main other hobby. I'm not great, but it only takes one really good shot every round or two to keep me coming back.

I'm somewhat of a hack myself. Can crunch the ball off the tee, but then after that I'm a mess. We should get a Polk golf outing going with those in and around our areas.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited August 2019
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I play electric and acoustic guitar. I guess that can involve audio, but I think it's far enough away to post here maybe? I'm trying to get a couple of friends to be in something along the lines of a band, but it's hard when only a couple of us have drivers' licenses.
    Anyway, I'm still learning but I'm getting better. :)
    I'll post some pics of my instruments later.

music is to audio as writing is to reading :)
    Sure, it counts! In fact, it's admirable -- and a great hobby. Even an avocation.
    Heck, maybe someday you'll be able to get Money for Nothing ;)

https://youtu.be/E0cmJOgIx68

note that this classic Dire Straits song is meant to be ironic. B) Mark Knopfler did not (does not) get his money for nothing.
    and -- out of deference to this forum -- this video features sanitized lyrics. :|
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited August 2019
    never mind - poor choice of words
  • tonyp063 wrote: »
    I chase after fish.

i59qwwkb7z78.png

Trout I assume in that spot?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    This thread is sounding like a dating site. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    Astronomy for me. I recently picked up 12" Dobsonian, and am loving it on clear nights.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »

Hmm...
    I tried swipin' but it didn't work (neither left nor right)...

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    And now you can share your conquests by clicking the little blue F! :s
    Alea jacta est!
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126

I'm somewhat of a hack myself. Can crunch the ball off the tee, but then after that I'm a mess. We should get a Polk golf outing going with those in and around our areas.

I would be very up for a golf outing, gives me a reason to commit to getting out there!
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Forum rules prohibit me from discussing or posting photos of my other hobby :-)

Yup...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    I'm obsessed with DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports) and Fantasy Football. I probably spend 8 hours a day on them :^ /
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    I paddle with a local dragon boat team 3 times per week and race at local and regional events 2-4 times per year. Just got home from helping another team fill their boat at the Victoria, B. C. Dragon Boat Festival. Beautiful city!

I’m planning to take up fishing after a long hiatus. ^Nice trout!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    I'm obsessed with DFS (Daily Fantasy Sports) and Fantasy Football. I probably spend 8 hours a day on them :^ /

Me too. Didn't even think about that as hobby. Certainly takes up a lot of my time this time of year. Drafting in 4 money leagues and commissioner of 6.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited August 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ditto @daddyjt
    Is it "homemade" movies?
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Forum rules prohibit me from discussing or posting photos of my other hobby :-)

As well.... Nothing like the smell of cordite ;)B)
  • joecoulson
    ...in the morning
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,306
    jdjohn wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ditto @daddyjt
    Is it "homemade" movies?

Ha - trust me, that is something no one (especially me) would want to see...!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• joecoulson
    Jody is just jealous JT...