Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

Landmonster
Landmonster Posts: 79
edited July 2019 in Speakers
Hi all.

Sorry if this question has been beaten to death, but I am facing a very real scenario here: Do I buy the Polk 705 or 707s?

The Polk LSiM 707 towers just went on sale, for $1,720 for the pair ($860 each). https://www.adorama.com/pklsim707b.html?EmailPrice=T

Also, the slightly smaller Polk LSiM 705 towers just went on sale too, for $1,220! ($610 each) https://www.adorama.com/pklsim705b.html?EmailPrice=T

Ironically, I have a separate savings fund which I have been setting aside to save for these speakers, and it has accrued exactly $1,220. This would pay for the 705s. But I could also get the 707s, it wouldn't be a huge stretch...

My Current setup:
  • Polk 703 on stands (These would be moved to the rear surrounds)
  • Polk LSiM 706c as center channel (This would stay where it is, of course)
  • Denon X4500h receiver (This would be forced to power all 5 speakers, until I can save up for an amp. See specs: https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx4500h)
  • Xbox One X as media streamer, and disc player (Ultra Bluray, and Bluray).

So the real question for you experts, is:
  1. Do I want the 705s, or 707s? and why?

So far, like I said, I am running 3 speakers off the Denon X4500h (703 x2, and 706c x1). It doesn't appear to be struggling, but then again, I haven't hooked tower speakers to it. My only fear is that I have read many comments that AVRs struggle the power these LSiM speakers, and/or that the LSiMs truly come alive with extra amplification.

Bonus Amplification-Related questions:
  1. Has anyone tried to power 5 LSiM speakers (including at least 2 towers) on a AVR like my Denon with ~125 watts per channel?
  2. Will I be running into some kind of damaging or detrimental issues without a power amp?
  3. If so, are the 707s dramatically more difficult to push than the 705s? (I'm trying to figure out if I can make due with the Denon for either 705s or the 707s for a while, or if either or both of them would cause problems?)

Comments

• Landmonster
    edited July 2019
    By the way, my room is 15 feet wide, 16 feet deep, with 10 foot ceilings and wood floors.

I sit about 10 feet back from the front speakers.

I don't have subs yet, but I plan to add subs, plus extra speaker amplification (2ch or 5ch amp) next.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Get the 705's and put your next bank on a sub
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Get the 705's and put your next bank on a sub

Can you explain why?
  • txcoastal1
    With a sub you could probably get away w/o needing an amp because a sub would take the weight off the receiver

HT needs a sub. When crossed over with the sub you take away needinG the speakers lower end. This presents not needing the 707’s lower end
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Landmonster
    edited July 2019
    Anyone else have any thoughts?

A few other random musings...
    1. Are the LSiM line being discontinued anytime soon by Polk? Do have a definite date? (If I can't get the 707s now, I just want to make sure they will be available in a few months from now)
    2. If I can't use either a sub or amp now, will either (or both) of the 705s or 707s overwhelm a Denon X4500 receiver?
    3. How much different/better is the 707 than the 705, assuming the end goal is to power them with a decent amplifier?
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116

@txcoastal1 makes an excellent point. Myself however have always gone for the top billing of any series I've owned.

I'm actually battling over whether or not to spring for the 707's or just stay with my A9's. They are currently edging my 703's out for 2ch, the 707's top portion is the same make up of the 703.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

@txcoastal1 makes an excellent point. Myself however have always gone for the top billing of any series I've owned.

I'm actually battling over whether or not to spring for the 707's or just stay with my A9's. They are currently edging my 703's out for 2ch, the 707's top portion is the same make up of the 703.

U like the a9s better than the 703s for 2 channel?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • It does seem, simpler in a way, to just purchase the "top of line" from whatever you're considering. The 707s would simpifly my main speakers.

Unless, for whatever reason, the 705s are actually proven to be technically superior in some way that I am not realizing.

I have only listened to the 703s. I haven't ever seen the 705s or 707s in person. However, I know myself, and I would probably mentally be more satisfied with the 707s, just knowing that Polk doesn't make anything better.

If I found myself unhappy with the 705s, I would wonder "Well, maybe the 707s would be slightly better?", rather than worry about room placement, source, amplification, wiring, etc etc.

The main point of this thread, I suppose.... was to ask if anyone has any direct A/B experience between the 705s and 707s? Also, is there a compelling reason in my given situation (room and equipment) to choose the 705 or 707?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Do you have a local stereo shop where you can go audition some speakers?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You just went through this with your receiver. You want the 707s so get the 707s. You should be careful with the volume until you get a 5-7 channel amp which should be your next purchase after the speakers.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Isn't the only difference between the 705s and the 707s the low frequency response? If he's using a sub, which he should be, then it's a non-issue. Get the 705s.
  • rooftop59
    @DarqueKnight begs to differ with you @Clipdat: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

I guess if the OP INSISTS on towers, then get the 707s. I personally would probably get an amp and a big boy sub to go with the 703s and then decide, as you’ll want those pieces no matter what, but it’s his money...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • txcoastal1
    Well let's ask the OP...What size room will you be setting up these speakers?

The reason I ask, as a past I am a past Polk dealer and have heard the 707's set up in a room to small for the speakers and they did sound boomy.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    @landmonster, where are you located?
    these will best the polks and you may not need a sub.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187239/usher-cp-6381-pick-up-in-ohio-only#latest
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Geoff4rfc
    It does seem, simpler in a way, to just purchase the "top of line" from whatever you're considering. The 707s would simpifly my main speakers.

If I found myself unhappy with the 705s, I would wonder "Well, maybe the 707s would be slightly better?", rather than worry about room placement, source, amplification, wiring, etc etc.

That's what I'd do. And, I never wanted that "I wonder how the bigger speaker would have been" syndrome. I just get the big dog and call it.

rooftop59 wrote: »

U like the a9s better than the 703s for 2 channel?

Yeah, crazy as it may sound (get it, sound :D ), my A9's are not as "edgy" or bright as they were when I first got them. I've groomed them pretty well with amp set up, cable set up and placement.

Ask @ken brydson, he's been over for a listen and I think he might have even been inspired :smile:

Don't get me wrong, I do love my 703's, but the A9's charge a bit harder. And to be honest, for 2ch, I reckon it really depends on the music.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    You just went through this with your receiver. You want the 707s so get the 707s. You should be careful with the volume until you get a 5-7 channel amp which should be your next purchase after the speakers.

I do want the 707s. B) But I am not basing that on much, except they are the "best" of the LSiM line.

Would the 705s be any easier to drive without an amp?

Can you elaborate on "careful" with the Denon volume knob? As it is now, I never really turn it past -15 on the dial, usually not more than -20. I don't know what wattage or DB level that equates to.
  • marvda1 wrote: »
    @landmonster, where are you located?
    these will best the polks and you may not need a sub.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/187239/usher-cp-6381-pick-up-in-ohio-only#latest

DFW, TX. So those are not really an option for me.
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Well let's ask the OP...What size room will you be setting up these speakers?

The reason I ask, as a past I am a past Polk dealer and have heard the 707's set up in a room to small for the speakers and they did sound boomy.

I thought I mentioned this above.

Nevertheless, it's a 15' wide, 16' deep, with 10' ceilings, and 2 open hallways. I sit about 10 feet back from the main speaker.

We just removed carpet throughout the entire home (including this room) and installed wood-flooring, so the whole house is a bit more "echoey" now.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Isn't the only difference between the 705s and the 707s the low frequency response? If he's using a sub, which he should be, then it's a non-issue. Get the 705s.

This is what I would like to know. Are there any other internal engineering differences that went into the 707, since it's the Polk "flagship" model?

Obviously on paper, the 707 has a bigger woofer (6.5" instead of 5.25"), and the subs are 6x9" instead 5x7".

However, the cabinet itself of the 707 is taller, wider, and deeper... and about 23lbs heavier than the 705. The exact locations of the drivers are also slightly different on the 707. The tweeter sits a bit higher off the floor on the 707, for example.

I got stands for my 703s to try to replicate the tweeter height of the 707, anticipating getting them in the future. That way, my front and rears would be the same height. I don't know if this really matters, but it might.
  • Clipdat
    DSkip wrote: »
    Come visit me man. You can hear some things.

Agreed. Aim higher than LSiMs, trust me.
  • rooftop59
    @Landmonster did you not read the review from @DarqueKnight that I linked above???
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    1) Talk to Skip

OR

2)
    get an amp and a big boy sub to go with the 703s and then decide.

I don’t have much experience with the 705 or 707, but in my limited listening to both, I preferred the 705-

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Geoff4rfc
    @Landmonster did you not read the review from @DarqueKnight that I linked above???

@Landmonster if you read the link provided by @rooftop59 , you'll go for the 707's without a doubt.

In that link is your side by side review of both speakers.

• Yea. I will just go for 707s if I stay with LSiM.

I'm sure there are superior speakers out there... but for a comparable price range as these are on sale?
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Come visit me man. You can hear some things.

Where are you located? PM me.
  • rooftop59 wrote: »

I did. That reviewer clearly prefers the 707. If he can be trusted to be accurate, then that is a super helpful review.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "Accurate"? Sheesh!
  • rooftop59

I did. That reviewer clearly prefers the 707. If he can be trusted to be accurate, then that is a super helpful review.

I mean, audio is ultimately subjective. But do a little searching around the forum. He is an engineering prof with a darn good ear. I will put his reviews up against anyone’s.

Having said that, I still vote for amp and sub first, but if your heart is set on towers then u may as well go all out...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Hi all.

Do I want the 705s, or 707s? and why?

So far, like I said, I am running 3 speakers off the Denon X4500h (703 x2, and 706c x1). It doesn't appear to be struggling, but then again, I haven't hooked tower speakers to it. My only fear is that I have read many comments that AVRs struggle the power these LSiM speakers, and/or that the LSiMs truly come alive with extra amplification.

1. Has anyone tried to power 5 LSiM speakers (including at least 2 towers) on a AVR like my Denon with ~125 watts per channel?
    2. Will I be running into some kind of damaging or detrimental issues without a power amp?
    3. If so, are the 707s dramatically more difficult to push than the 705s? (I'm trying to figure out if I can make due with the Denon for either 705s or the 707s for a while, or if either or both of them would cause problems?)

Your Denon X4500h is rated for 125 watts per channel in two channel mode into 8 ohms. Note that the AVR can also only deliver 235 watts continuous in one channel mode. The AVR's transformer can reasonably be expected to deliver, at most, a total of around 250 watts continuous. That same 250 watts will be divided among 5 speakers in 5 channel mode. If the 250 watts is evenly divided among the 5 speakers, you will only get 50 watts per channel. It's more likely that, in 5 channel mode, the AVR gives power preference to the front and center speakers, with more than 50 wpc each going to the F/C/R speakers and less than 50 wpc going to the surround speakers.

With appropriate amplification, the 707s paired with the 706c will present a bigger and bolder front stage compared to the 705/706c combination.

Yes, you could run into some trouble running the 707/706c or the 705/706c combination with your AVR. At the worst, clipping and speaker damage if you get careless with the volume control. At the least, an unsatisfying and increasingly irritating and frustrating home theater presentation because you can't listen at the levels you like. Whether you get the 705s or the 707s, you won't hear them at their best until you run them with an amp that can bring out the best in them.

I will repeat the advice of others: If you really want the 707s, get the 707s, then get an amp (and subwoofer) suitable for the 707/706c/703 combination.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • rooftop59
    Hi all.

Do I want the 705s, or 707s? and why?

Your Denon X4500h is rated for 125 watts per channel in two channel mode into 8 ohms. Note that the AVR can also only deliver 235 watts continuous in one channel mode. The AVR's transformer can reasonably be expected to deliver, at most, a total of around 250 watts continuous. That same 250 watts will be divided among 5 speakers in 5 channel mode. If the 250 watts is evenly divided among the 5 speakers, you will only get 50 watts per channel. It's more likely that, in 5 channel mode, the AVR gives power preference to the front and center speakers, with more than 50 wpc each going to the F/C/R speakers and less than 50 wpc going to the surround speakers.

With appropriate amplification, the 707s paired with the 706c will present a bigger and bolder front stage compared to the 705/706c combination.

Yes, you could run into some trouble running the 707/706c or the 705/706c combination with your AVR. At the worst, clipping and speaker damage if you get careless with the volume control. At the least, an unsatisfying and increasingly irritating and frustrating home theater presentation because you can't listen at the levels you like. Whether you get the 705s or the 707s, you won't hear them at their best until you run them with an amp that can bring out the best in them.

I will repeat the advice of others: If you really want the 707s, get the 707s, then get an amp (and subwoofer) suitable for the 707/706c/703 combination.

A few generations ago s&v measurements rated it 5 channels driven at 95 wpc, and exceeding its 2 channel rating fwiw...https://www.soundandvision.com/content/denon-avr-x4200w-av-receiver-review-test-bench

I still agree that that AVR cannot do those 707s justice at all.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1