Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

Options

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    When I got my Emo I spent weeks reading reviews going through many forums. In the end I didn't hear as much bad about Emo as I did the egg cooking Monoprice amps. I have had nothing but great pleasure with my Emotiva XPA3-Gen3 amp.

Emo and Monolith are in the same price range. The smaller Outlaw amps are a tad less but the bigger ones are in the MCA $2500 range.

In the end it's what one can afford. The used market can be good but hit and miss at best. One of our managers got a B&K for $500 a month later two channels went out.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,147
    Options
    [*] Get the 707s, wait several months to get an amp.

You can always get the 707's, set them to "small", then you're good to go until you get an amp and then set them to "large"

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Landmonster
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and get the 707s. The only decisions now is should I get them now, or wait for Adorama to lower the price even more? And which amp to get.

These seem to go on sale frequently now, I'm wondering what Adorama and Polk have in mind for the long-term plans for these speakers

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I'm sure that the LSiM's are on their last run, so there's the snooze you lose factor.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I'm sure that the LSiM's are on their last run, so there's the snooze you lose factor.

^This. Get em now, the Adorama price is as good as its gonna get, and MUCH better than the were originally.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Get them now or lose out when they are gone.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and get the 707s. The only decisions now is should I get them now, or wait for Adorama to lower the price even more? And which amp to get.

These seem to go on sale frequently now, I'm wondering what Adorama and Polk have in mind for the long-term plans for these speakers

As the others have already advised, you are risking not getting them if you play the waiting game.
    The 707's are $829 today.
    Heck, the 706c is a steal at $449.

Not sure about the 707's but the 706 was $499 at their boxing day sale so it looks like clear out time.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Snooze and lose time, if you're looking to save $40.00 it may end up costing you hundreds more.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited July 2019
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Derm wrote: »
    Heck, the 706c is a steal at $449.
    Yes, I'm thinking about picking one up myself at the price. I really liked this speaker and I only had it a short while. Also, I had some decent gear at the time but I think there is more potential on the table with better stuff.

mrloren wrote: »
    In the end I didn't hear as much bad about Emo as I did the egg cooking Monoprice amps. I have had nothing but great pleasure with my Emotiva XPA3-Gen3 amp.
    Emo and Monolith are in the same price range. The smaller Outlaw amps are a tad less but the bigger ones are in the MCA $2500 range.
    In the end it's what one can afford. The used market can be good but hit and miss at best. One of our managers got a B&K for $500 a month later two channels went out.

Yes, heat is a concern with these powerful 5-7 channel class AB amps in cabinets. I recently ran across a used Wyred 4 Sound ICE Cube MC amp that I wish I could pick up. Its a $4995 retail, $1650 used 5 ch that does 250W into 8 Ohms/500W into 4 Ohms ICEpower. Man, I would like to listen to first hand what an Anthem or Marantz Pre/Pro or receiver mated with this amp powering a 707/706/702 setup would do in my room. My guess would be headroom for days (and no heat!) and most anything I need or want it to do. Not sure when I'll be able to put energy into the HT...but it would be fun I'm sure.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/power-amps/mc
    https://www.soundandvision.com/content/wyred-4-sound-ice-cube-mc-multichannel-power-amplifier-comparisons-conclusion
    https://columbus.craigslist.org/ele/d/columbus-wyred-4-sound-5-channel-amp/6922957793.html
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • diverdog
    diverdog Posts: 27
    Options
    I was on the fence about these but at $855 and free shipping they are a tremendous value. I just bought 3 707s and 6 703's for an 9.2.4 Atmos home theater I'm building. Center channel will be a 707 behind the 115" diag screen. These will be my first Polk's ever. I won't have the room ready for 6 months so I'll replace the Infiniti towers I have in my living room with the 707's to break them in and give a critical long term listen.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Dayum. Jump in feet first!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk Diver! What does the rest of your system look like?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • diverdog
    Options
    Cfrizz, still on the fence on a processor looking at Marantz AV8805 or Emotiva RMC1. Amps will most likely be Emotiva. Player Oppo. Subs 2 X Hsu ULS-15. Projector BenQ or Epson. Screen Seymour. I have around six months to do more due diligence on the audio gear. I'm concentrating on room construction, wall treatments, bass traps etc. right now but the Polk deal was too good to pass up so I jumped on it
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I’ll be tuning in 6 months from now for sure.
    How about a build thread as you go?
    Always enjoy those.
  • diverdog
    Options
    Sure I can start a build thread. I owned a pro audio design build company for many years and I'll be doing the acoustical design and construction myself. When the room is right even modestly priced gear will sound great. I'm kind of pragmatic about equipment and I'm shooting for the biggest bang for the buck, the sweet spot of cost VS performance.
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Excited to follow bro! Good luck and I’m sure it will fun. I thoroughly enjoyed building a custom HT at my old house.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited July 2019
    Options
    diverdog wrote: »
    I was on the fence about these but at $855 and free shipping they are a tremendous value. I just bought 3 707s and 6 703's for an 9.2.4 Atmos home theater I'm building. Center channel will be a 707 behind the 115" diag screen. These will be my first Polk's ever. I won't have the room ready for 6 months so I'll replace the Infiniti towers I have in my living room with the 707's to break them in and give a critical long term listen.
    That should be a fun project. I had the chance to listen to this Emotiva / LSiM setup some years ago at a show. 707/706 upfront, 703 in back. It was a big sound in a large space.
    7553095571e2f0ab91cb.jpg
    diverdog wrote: »
    Cfrizz, still on the fence on a processor looking at Marantz AV8805 or Emotiva RMC1. Amps will most likely be Emotiva. Player Oppo. Subs 2 X Hsu ULS-15. Projector BenQ or Epson. Screen Seymour. I have around six months to do more due diligence on the audio gear. I'm concentrating on room construction, wall treatments, bass traps etc. right now but the Polk deal was too good to pass up so I jumped on it
    I love the dual sealed 15 ULS idea. Great for a dual theater / music system...and space concerns. However ported systems with port tuning options offer the same capabilities yet you get the dB boost of ported. Make sure you put the ARCAM and NAD pre/Pro units with built in Dirac Live room correction on your list of units to check out.

https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,FMJ,AV-Processor,av860.htm

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m17v2-surround-sound-preamp-processor/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Lot's of debate on sealed vs ported subs. I like my VTF-3MK5. I normally keep it in EQ2 with the 4" port open and "Q" set to 7. i do listen to a lot of music in this mode. Sounds great.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Well.... the 707s are back to full price, so I won't be buying those at $2000/each. :'(

However, the 705s are now at basically an all-time low of $449/each. :neutral:

From the past few weeks of research, and talking to experienced people like DarqueKnight, it seems that the 707s are indeed superior speakers. So that was my original question. But now there's a larger cost differential than before... they increased in price, while the 705s fell even further in price!

I suppose the main question is... with the larger price differential, is the 707 "worth" the extra cost? At $449 each (vs the 707 @ $829 ea), the 705 are now $760 less expensive for the pair! That goes along way towards an amplifier, or other gear.

Secondly, how likely is it the 707s go on sale again, and how much? (There is a chance in my mind that they will go on a final blow-out sale of like ~$600/each, or something like that)

Also, is anyone using 4 705 towers in a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater setup? or a 2 707s + 2 705s? Is there any real reason to prefer the 703s as surround speakers?

If the 707s do eventually go on some crazy final blow out sale... I could conceivably end having 2x 703, 2x 705, and 2x 707. :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    What are you going to do after the 705's go back to full price tomorrow?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Well....

the 707s are back to full price, so I won't be buying those at $2000/each.

However, the 705s are now at basically an all-time low of $449. :neutral:

I looked and couldn't find the deal you're referring too.....705's for 450 each??

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    Analysis paralysis
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • Landmonster
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Well....

I looked and couldn't find the deal you're referring too.....705's for 450 each??

https://www.adorama.com/g/polk-audio-LSiM-series-sale?sdtid=12992437&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Well....

https://www.adorama.com/g/polk-audio-LSiM-series-sale?sdtid=12992437&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

*Gulp* wow, unbelievable! Thanks for the link

• Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yea....

People think I'm being OCD or over analyzing this stuff, but the price seems to change daily.

The 707s have recently went from $1,000, to $869, to $829, back to $2,000
    The 705s have gone from $1,500 to 749, to $569?, then to $449 today.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the 707s, but Adorama took them off sale randomly.

I'm totally fine being patient and waiting for things, except for the lingering fear the 707s will get totally sold-out and unavailable (Not sure how realistic that is, but some people think so).

2 707s would be my preference. Bu now people can almost get 4 705s now for the same price as the previous crazy 707 sale price.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Options

I'm totally fine being patient and waiting for things, except for the lingering fear the 707s will get totally sold-out and unavailable (Not sure how realistic that is, but some people think so)..

Yes, being patient does pay off. Polk eBay is another avenue for great deals. I just recently scored a pair of LSiM702 surround speakers for 5 and change. Listed as refurbs but showed up in brand-new condition and work perfectly.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited July 2019
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Snooze and lose time, if you're looking to save $40.00 it may end up costing you hundreds more.

And I rest my case...

Before you know it you'll be buying used and paying for shipping HOPING they show up in good shape. Yep before you know it they will be gone.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    You keep dragging your feet and you won't have any LSiM's to purchase because they are being discontinued. Fact!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,764
    Options
    Shopping is more fun than buying. Nevertheless, I took advantage of Adorama's most recent sale to pick up a pair of 703s.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!