Polk LSiM 705 & 707 towers just went on sale (7/16/19)! Which to get, and why?

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Thanks. The only way to know for sure is to ask Denon, but their reluctance to publish a 5 channel power spec makes me think getting such information from them would be difficult.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Not to detail the thread.

Any amp advice for this proposed set-up?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,896
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 8,105
    Not to detail the thread.

I think this would make them sing nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1205A-5-Channel-140-watts-Amplifier/183877919639?epid=66783576&hash=item2acffa6397:g:MLEAAOSwxM1dJtiV
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Harmon Kardon HK3490; Bluesounds Node N130; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,919
    Bryston also a good option for the LSiMs.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Skip..tusk tusk

Always peddling the T+A

km2utqt71c2f.png
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,729
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Skip..tusk tusk

Always peddling the T+A

km2utqt71c2f.png

Keiko worthy...
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    edited July 2019
    I have the 705s & 706 on the way with a cheap Yamaha receiver and was also wondering which amp would be ideal (any options for lower price range?)
    mfn9d78s5en1.png
  • joecoulson
    Maybe a used ADCOM from CL
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Been a while since I paid much attention to HT, but I would get separate pre-amp and amplifier. Figure around $5K for a start. You get what you pay for.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,460
    For new, Emotiva is the starting point and it all goes up from there.

A nice Marantz 8802 pre with a good Parasound amp is ideal
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • marvda1
    @landmonster, did you get achance to go listen to the sonus fabers ?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Interconnects: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2, Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Digital cables: Crystal Clear Magnum Opus 2 bnc, Tellurium Q aes, Silnote Audio Poseidon Signature 2 bnc
    Puritan PSM156
  • juice2544
    juice2544 Posts: 22
    mrloren wrote: »
    For new, Emotiva is the starting point and it all goes up from there.

A nice Marantz 8802 pre with a good Parasound amp is ideal
    Can I keep my current tsr 5830 and add either Parasound 2125v2 150w, Marantz MM7025 140w, or Emotiva XPA 2 or 3 Gen3? (will the LSIM 706 need to be on an amp? Sorry, trying to grasp the basics of what I need to get it running with hopefully minimal cost)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk Juice. Unfortunately, your Yamaha doesn't have preouts to add a separate amplifier. You will have to save more money, and replace it with a much better receiver. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer are favorites around here. Here are a few to take a look at that would fit the bill.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3400h/denon-avr-x3400h-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5012/marantz-sr5012-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html

https://www.amazon.com/Marantz-SR5013-7-2-Compatibility-Streaming-Automation/dp/B07FMPVMRL/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=marantz+receiver&qid=1563718184&s=gateway&sr=8-3

These will do until you are able to get a separate amp to add to it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,261
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk Juice. Unfortunately, your Yamaha doesn't have preouts to add a separate amplifier. You will have to save more money, and replace it with a much better receiver. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer are favorites around here..

Crazy how Amazon is growing with availability!!! Here's another choice from AC4L @juice2544 https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marmm7055/marantz-mm7055-5-ch-x-140-watts-power-amplifier/1.html

Sorry for derailing your thread @Landmonster

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • joecoulson
    I have the SR5013 and it’s a great inexpensive HT option.
  • No worries, and thanks for the input so far. It seems clear that the 707s now will sound better than the 705s, given appropriate amplification. So, that would be my preferred long-term goal.

The problem is, however, is that I can't afford "proper amplification" (ie. an expensive amp) and also 707s at the same time without going into debt. :'( I could swing it sooner with a pair of 705s, since they are about $520 cheaper.... and I could get a decent 2 channel used amp.

As an update, Adorama just dropped the price the on these speakers again. Lol.... see link here:

https://www.adorama.com/g/polk-audio-LSiM-series-sale?sdtid=12992437&emailprice=t&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

I'm still trying to make sense of my options, given my budget constraints.

Options:
    1. Get the 707s, wait several months to get an amp.
    2. Get the 705s, get an amp much sooner.
    3. Get an amp now to power my 703/706c combo, and wait to get towers later.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone know when these LSiM speakers will truly no longer be available for sale new? I keep hearing rumors that these will be discontinued at some point.
    2. Would either the 705s or 707s be passable with the Denon? Or would both sound equally frustrating/under-powered/flat, etc?
    3. Would the 703/706c combo benefit from a power amp? Or does the main benefit of the power amp pertain to the 705 or 707 towers?

• Landmonster
    Landmonster Posts: 79
    edited July 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Not to detail the thread.

I think this would make them sing nicely: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parasound-HCA-1205A-5-Channel-140-watts-Amplifier/183877919639?epid=66783576&hash=item2acffa6397:g:MLEAAOSwxM1dJtiV

I'm sure that is a nice amp, and the price seems good. However, other comments have led me to think the 707s sound best with 250+ real watts per channel.

Edit: However... I'm sure that would be a pretty nice amp for the 703s? One option I haven't fully explored would be to buy more 703s for all around, use an amplifier like that one.... then add a sub sooner.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing has ever lit up LSiM speakers like the T+A amps. You might be able to find an older amp for a decent price.

What is a T+A amp? I'm not familiar with the terminology there.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,211
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing has ever lit up LSiM speakers like the T+A amps. You might be able to find an older amp for a decent price.

It's not a term, but a manufacturer of high-end audio.

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/?doing_wp_cron=1563739678.2817680835723876953125
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1 wrote: »

https://www.ta-hifi.de/en/?doing_wp_cron=1563739678.2817680835723876953125

Ah ok. The 3000 HV amp comes in at a cool $19,000.

If I had that kind of cash for an amp, I'd probably be looking at speakers better than LSiMs, and a have a dedicated media room with all sorts of treatments.
  • This is one amp I was considering. Not sure if it is well regarded here, or not.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,277
    Geesh dude, just buy something.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,211
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    This is one amp I was considering. Not sure if it is well regarded here, or not.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15593

Monoprice just got into the amplifier market, and as far as I know no one on here owns one. We all have to start somewhere.

It's got good power and 5 channels, which is the most important thing. If you can afford it as well as whichever of the LSIM towers you decide on go for it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,460
    I'd get the 707 at that price and save for a good amp. Emotiva are not bad (I use one and like it). I almost got the Monoprice but a couple of reviews saying they get burning hot stopped me.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    edited July 2019
    Monoprice amps are made by ATI.

There's nothing wrong with a class A/B amp getting hot. Generally, that means it's biased to class A, which is good thing. A bad reason for one to run hot is insufficient heatsinks. Looking inside the ATI/Monoprice it's almost all heatsinks, so it must be biased to class A since it runs hot.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I forgot to mention another reason for an amp like that to run hot. People shove them inside cabinets without allowing for proper airflow. An amp needs a minimum of 6 inches above with the cabinet open front and back.

President of Club Polk

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I recommend Outlaw for about the same money as Emotiva or monoprice.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/7000x.html
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant