Will my system work?

Options
12345679»

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    AVR to amp will be audio RCA, coax RCA are for between source and processor (AVR in your case).
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Romo11 wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »
    What RCA cables are you using? Try a different outlet if you can.

They aren’t the best for sure. I got them off of amazon. I’m going to wait until this weekend, when there aren’t as many distractions around to start going through the elimination game.
    Thanks for the suggestion,I’ll try that first.

If you're handy with a soldering tool, I got my RCA materials from @helipilotdoug also known as Douglasconnection.com. And he not only treats Polk members right, he's that way with everyone. Well, he's a Texan, what more can I say :D

I made some great RCA's that are hard pressed to beat quality-wise unless you spend hundreds....

And he offers a discount for forum members as well.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »

They aren’t the best for sure. I got them off of amazon. I’m going to wait until this weekend, when there aren’t as many distractions around to start going through the elimination game.

If you're handy with a soldering tool, I got my RCA materials from @helipilotdoug also known as Douglasconnection.com. And he not only treats Polk members right, he's that way with everyone. Well, he's a Texan, what more can I say :D

I made some great RCA's that are hard pressed to beat quality-wise unless you spend hundreds....

AND you're already using his speaker cables ;)
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. That’s what I was looking for. I thought that maybe I had purchased the wrong ones. Was kinda hoping that I had.
    Anyhow I appreciate it very much.
  • Romo11
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Dang,
    I forgot that I even bought those cables! It’s been a crazy summer so far. They will be connected very soon. Keeping my grandson today and tomorrow but I promise they will be hooked up.
    I’m so embarrassed but I truly have had a lot on my plate. This gives me something positive to think about. Thanks for bringing it up.

Rob

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Lame, your Yamaha only has XLR outs for the front L & R. Lame cost cutting move on Yamaha's part.
    Sarcasm, right?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    edited July 2019
    Options
    No, that was actually a serious comment. It just seemed strange to me to only have XLRs out for the front L and R, and not the rest of the channels. This is a $2,000 AVR, and there's room for XLR outs for all channels. Doesn't make sense to me why Yamaha wouldn't include them, unless it was a cost cutting measure.

His Outlaw amplifier has XLR inputs, so I was going to suggest he run XLRs to mitigate that noise he was mentioning, as I believe that would certainly do the trick.
  • Romo11
    Options
    You guys please keep thinking. Y’all have helped me so much.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options

Yes he does! My bad for not mentioning that!!

I will mention that when it comes to DIY RCA cables and speaker cables, I don't look anywhere else then Dougs.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,150
    Options
    No, that was actually a serious comment. It just seemed strange to me to only have XLRs out for the front L and R, and not the rest of the channels. This is a $2,000 AVR, and there's room for XLR outs for all channels. Doesn't make sense to me

Integra did that with their DTR 70.6 AVR. I don't know if its really lame or cutting cost since it's an AVR and not a Pre. I think it's more like a bonus...but that's just me.

j96t3ovy0hqk.png

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited July 2019
    Options
    No, that was actually a serious comment. It just seemed strange to me to only have XLRs out for the front L and R, and not the rest of the channels. This is a $2,000 AVR, and there's room for XLR outs for all channels. Doesn't make sense to me why Yamaha wouldn't include them, unless it was a cost cutting measure.

His Outlaw amplifier has XLR inputs, so I was going to suggest he run XLRs to mitigate that noise he was mentioning, as I believe that would certainly do the trick.
    Without doing a ton of research, it doesn't seem like any of the consumer brand AVRs have a full complement of XLR outputs, even at the top of their lines. Not Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Sony... One or two have what his Yamaha does, basically a pair for front left/right.

The only place I'm routinely seeing a full complement of XLR pre-outs (7-13 channels) is in the more specialized preamplifier processors (pre-pros). Just doesn't seem typical for any AVR brand to have them, so I'm not sure cost-cutting is the appropriate term. RCA outputs are far more common and familiar to most consumers.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Romo, did I miss you solving the hum problem?

Also Outlaw 976 pre/pro has 7.2* XLRs & RCAs. Be grateful you have a full complement of RCAs. Entry level AVRs, the ones that need more power the most, force upgrades.
    * same signal merely allows a second sub
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    The only place I'm routinely seeing a full complement of XLR pre-outs (7-13 channels) is in the more specialized preamplifier processors (pre-pros). Just doesn't seem typical for any AVR brand to have them, so I'm not sure cost-cutting is the appropriate term. RCA outputs are far more common** and familiar to most consumers.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Romo11
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    Romo, did I miss you solving the hum problem?

Also Outlaw 976 pre/pro has 7.2* XLRs & RCAs. Be grateful you have a full complement of RCAs. Entry level AVRs, the ones that need more power the most, force upgrades.
    * same signal merely allows a second sub
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    The only place I'm routinely seeing a full complement of XLR pre-outs (7-13 channels) is in the more specialized preamplifier processors (pre-pros). Just doesn't seem typical for any AVR brand to have them, so I'm not sure cost-cutting is the appropriate term. RCA outputs are far more common** and familiar to most consumers.

Tony

Tony,
    You must have missed my post that I was going to try and solve it this weekend. I don’t remember if I thanked you for that great post on the steps to solve but, if not, I do thank you.
    I’ve been babysitting the past few days and it’s impossible for me to do more than one thing at a time.

Rob

• Romo11
    Options

Yes he does! My bad for not mentioning that!!

I will mention that when it comes to DIY RCA cables and speaker cables, I don't look anywhere else then Dougs.

After I determine exactly what is causing it I will proceed to fix it. I it’s in the cables, I’m heading Doug’s way.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    Tony,
    You must have missed my post that I was going to try and solve it this weekend.
    I did.
    I don’t remember if I thanked you for that great post on the steps to solve but, if not, I do thank you.
    my pleasure
    I’ve been babysitting the past few days and it’s impossible for me to do more than one thing at a time.
    been there, done that more than a few times.
    🤗

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Romo11
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

Well this evening I went and found the cables that you sold me. I couldn’t wait to hear them then, I laid them along the floor and the one was too short.
    After I bought the amp, I realized that what I was using to hold my AVR, wasn’t strong enough to support my 100 lb. amp, so I had to buy a new rack. My entertainment center is big and heavy and it would not adjust wide enough to contain the rack and the television. I had to put the rack on the side of the entertainment center and the one cable was about 4 feet too short.
    Crapped out again. No worries as at some time I’ll set up a separate music center and those will work for me.

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    ^ so it sounds like, in the beginning of the post, that there was a difference in cable length. After reading through though, it appears to be an offset in position of the amp that is the issue, yes?
  • Romo11
    edited July 2019
    Options

FestYboy wrote: »
    ^ so it sounds like, in the beginning of the post, that there was a difference in cable length. After reading through though, it appears to be an offset in position of the amp that is the issue, yes?

Definitely.
    No problem though as hopefully if things work out, I’ll set up a stereo system and they can be used there, sometime in the future.
    Thanks for making it more clear.

• Romo11
    Options
    Well, my granddaughter plays in softball tournaments and the heat index is over 100 degrees. That’s too hot for this old guy so my seven year old grandson and I left after the first game and we are chilling this afternoon.
    Maybe tomorrow I can play with my “hum” noise. If not, I’ll get to it sometime.
    I would rather have two grandchildren that I can love and spoil as to having a system in every room in my house.