Will my system work?

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2019
    Yes, they all require a pre, however, you mentioned you had purchased the Yamaha which will serve as a preamp/surround sound processor. There will be "Pre Outputs" on the back of the Yamaha and that is where you will plug the RCA interconnect into on one end and the Outlaw, or whatever amp you choose to go with, on the other end. That bypasses the internal amps on the Yamaha and makes it a dedicated pre/pro (Preamp-Processor).
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I still suggest just purchasing a quality subwoofer for now, and try running the speakers off the AVR first. If it's lacking in some major way, then get a 3 channel amp for the front speakers.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited May 2019
    Your AVR is your pre-amp.

If you're dead set on SVS the SB4000 is more than enough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    edited May 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I still suggest just purchasing a quality subwoofer for now, and try running the speakers off the AVR first. If it's lacking in some major way, then get a 3 channel amp for the front speakers.

I agree with this. You will probably hear a considerable improvement by adding a high quality sub. Look at Rythmik, SVS and HSU as they are all good quality subs at reasonable prices. Do this first and then tell us what it sounds like to you.

If you still want an amp at that point, well, there are a bunch of them available on the pre owned market. You'll have your pick.

You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited May 2019
    Either the SVS SB4000 or SB16u will work. these are not small subs. I helped setup a 16U once, almost didn't pass the wife acceptance factor. The bass that came out was fantastic.

The Outlaw amps are nice amps. I'd stay away from the Monolith stuff, get Emotiva way before Monolith.

Get the sub before and amp or just go for broke and get em both. With a sub in the mix set the Cross Over on the AVR to 80HZ and let the sub do the low end. This will save a lot of power on the AVR.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Either one of those Outlaw amps will allow your speakers to operate to their full potential, as will either of those subs it just depends on how much money you want to spend.

Your Yamaha will serve as your pre-amp.

You will have one slamming system that you can enjoy for years when you are done.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    edited May 2019
    Ok, it looks like I’ll go with the sub first with the majority opinion going this way. Since this is my last system, I’m sure, do I get either the SVS SB4000 or the SVS SB 16 Ultra? Or do I go for two SVS SB 4000’s? It’s cheaper to get one of the SVS SB 16 Ultras but depending on your advice I will make my selection.
    You guys sure are a great help. Thanks!
    I forgot to mention that my room is 20X 24 going into the foyer and front door and steps up and down on one side. My house is a tri level and the only room (home theater) is on the second level. The foyer is small, only 6 X 5 on one 20 feet wall.

Rob
    Post edited by Romo11 on
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    How open is your room to other areas of the house?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Romo11 wrote: »
    Ok, it looks like I’ll go with the sub first with the majority opinion going this way. Since this is my last system, I’m sure, do I get either the SVS SB4000 or the SVS SB 16 Ultra? Or do I go for two SVS SB 4000’s? It’s cheaper to get one of the SVS SB 16 Ultras but depending on your advice I will make my selection.
    You guys sure are a great help. Thanks!

Rob

Call SVS and tell them what you're looking for. They won't try to oversell you I guarantee. 45 day return policy with free shipping both ways if you don't like it.
  • kharp1
    edited May 2019
    This is where we ask you about room dimensions. What are the approximate measurements and shape of the room? Closed or open? Any open areas like vaulted ceilings or stairways? Funky shapes such as alcoves?
    Sometimes they (SVS) offer a small discount if purchasing two subs. Also, check their outlet, you can save some there if you don't mind a minor blemish or two. All outlet items come with same warranty and trial/return policy.

Call SVS and tell them what what you're thinking and they can offer some assistance. They are great to deal with.
  • Romo11
    DaveHo wrote: »
    How open is your room to other areas of the house?

I just added the size to my corrected post above. I just realized I hadn’t posted the size in a good while after you asked. Thanks.

Rob

• kharp1
    I would say with that size room, and some open area to steps, that two 4000's would do well. I realize that's more monies than 1 16-ultra, but, would give you better coverage, and, once dialed in, would be easier to have more even coverage across a wider area.

I'd give SVS a call. We're all here to help you spend some money :)
  • mrloren
    edited May 2019
    WOW Dual SB4000 will rock.

Some pictures of the layout would be helpful. What part of the country are you in? If you're in the San Diego area you're welcome to come over for a demo of my system.

Just my two cents here. Being the HSU fan boy I am, I'd go with dual VTF3-MK5 and a Emotiva XPA-3 and call it done for close to the same money as the dual SB4000. The SB4000 is the better sub but I'm cheap. My single VTF3 makes dishes rattle 15' away. Then again if I did have the extra funding I'd have the SB4000.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited May 2019
    This is a beautiful sealed sub...……

https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/S3010

A dual opposed 15" driver sub. with lots of punch power.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mrloren wrote: »

Some pictures of the layout would be helpful. What part of the country are you in? If you're in the San Diego area you're welcome to come over for a demo of my system.

Just my two cents here. Being the HSU fan boy I am, I'd go with dual VTF3-MK5 and a Emotiva XPA-3 and call it done for close to the same money as the dual SB4000. The SB4000 is the better sub but I'm cheap. My single VTF3 makes dishes rattle 15' away. Then again if I did have the extra funding I'd have the SB4000.

This would be my strategy....call HSU and tell them that you are tempted by the svs but would like to give the HSUs a try. See if they offer you a deal or an in home trial.

I personally cannot imagine needing more than two HSU VTF-3.5s, but that’s just me!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Romo11

Thanks for the offer. You are too kind!
    Actually, I’m in North Carolina, about a mile from Charlotte Motor Speedway. You will know quite well where that is if you are a nascar racing fan. If not, about 30 miles northeast of Charlotte. If you ever get this way, just swing by. Maybe I’ll be setup by then.

Rob

• Romo11
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I would say with that size room, and some open area to steps, that two 4000's would do well. I realize that's more monies than 1 16-ultra, but, would give you better coverage, and, once dialed in, would be easier to have more even coverage across a wider area.

I'd give SVS a call. We're all here to help you spend some money :)

Thanks for the response. I think I’ll take the advice and give them a call. It won’t cost me anything and I need all the knowledge that I can absorb.

Rob
  • kharp1
    I'd reach out to HSU and Rythmik as well, see what sense you get from each of them.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

Actually, I’m in North Carolina, about a mile from Charlotte Motor Speedway. You will know quite well where that is if you are a nascar racing fan. If not, about 30 miles northeast of Charlotte. If you ever get this way, just swing by. Maybe I’ll be setup by then.

Rob

Well sheet fire! I'm in Mooresville. VR3 is in South Concord. I sense an NC get together coming up soon....
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ....as soon as I finish working in Indiana.
  • Romo11
    lightman1 wrote: »

Rob

Well sheet fire! I'm in Mooresville. VR3 is in South Concord. I sense an NC get together coming up soon....

That is unbelievable! I debated whether to put out my specific location but I’m sure glad I did.
    We may need to have a get together sometime!

Rob
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ....as soon as I finish working in Indiana.

Wow, I would love to see some pros setups!

• mrloren
    Yes call the 3 dealers.

When I called HSU for my VTF3 they tried to talk me out of it because my VTF2 is still a darn good sub. I did sell it to a friend and got my VTF3 anyway.

HSU is a good dealer but the customer pays shipping. SVS pays for both ways shipping. The HSU subs even with sipping are hard to beat. PB2000 and the VTF3 cost about the same, my opinion is the VTF3 is better than the SB2000. Yes I've heard both.

Emotiva has good customer service. I called to order my amp, they said straight up that ordering through them takes a week till I get it. The CS rep asked if I had prime (yes I do) she said Amazon has some ready built for Amazon. Two day's later I was rocking.

• Geoff4rfc

That is unbelievable! I debated whether to put out my specific location but I’m sure glad I did.

Good folks on here. Ken Brydson lives in my area and has come by for a listen. He was too kind...….not that he complemented my set up, but he brought over some tasty cold ones :D

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • kharp1
    @Romo11 you will find we are very much like a family here, sure, we'll be opinionated at times, get in little squabbles, but, at the end of the day you'll find a bunch of great people that are ready to step up and help. I've heard great stories of amazing things done by one polkie for another. Often for no recognition and no compensation...just because they're great people.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Good folks on here. Ken Brydson lives in my area and has come by for a listen. He was too kind...….not that he complemented my set up, but he brought over some tasty cold ones :D

Fun times. We need to get together again soon!
  • Geoff4rfc
    Fun times. We need to get together again soon!

Yes sir indeed! I'm free on the weekends. Every other actually. This one coming up is good :)

• Romo11
    Ok everyone, I have the speakers, Polk Audio( LSiM 707’s- 2, LSiM 6 center-1, LSiM 703’s-2 rears, and LSiM’s 702-2 surround rears, and on the way, 2 SVS SB 4000’s)
    Now, I’m trying to decide between the Outlaw 7700 ( been around for a good while, ( 200watts per 7 channels), or Outlaw 7220 ( 220 watts per 7 channels) new product. The write up says that the 7220 has a built in breaker of 20 amps and reccommends a 20 amp breaker in house. It appears it’s not required but, who knows? I don’t see what the amperage requirement for 7700 is but I don’t know and need advice. I like everything about the 7220 but it is new and some have said it has a low hum in certain owners homes. It appears that the 7700 is tried and true but I’m concerned. Will 20 watts make that much difference. I don’t want to screw up over $300.00. It’s not a lot in the whole realm of things.

Rob
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Is there some reason why you are opposed to hooking them up to the Yamaha AVR first, before purchasing a 7 channel amplifier?
  • mrloren
    Outlaw's are nice amps either will do you good. I'd go for the 7700 and save the $300 for some good RCA cables and speaker wire.

Two SB4000, dude you are getting serious bass there.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Is there some reason why you are opposed to hooking them up to the Yamaha AVR first, before purchasing a 7 channel amplifier?

I'd say get a good 3 channel amp. the AVR can handle the other 4 speakers