Will my system work?

Options

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,456
    Options
    Gee @Romo11 you not only went in the rabbit hole, you dove in at warp 7.

you have set up a very nice system there. enjoy it to the fullest. Post some pictures if you can. In the clubhouse section there is a showcase your setup thread.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Romo11...again welcome to Club Polk and the rabbit hole :)

Glad everything is working out and playing well. Most of all enjoy your system.

Thank you so much!
    By the way, how deep is this hole?

• Romo11
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Great to get an update from you...especially since it's a positive one. You've put together a great system and I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it.

Lurking is all well and good, but I hope you post from time to time. The forum needs more people like you as active members IMO.

Thank you so much. It's so great that a group gives out so much without wanting anything in return.

• Romo11
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    Gee @Romo11 you not only went in the rabbit hole, you dove in at warp 7.

you have set up a very nice system there. enjoy it to the fullest. Post some pictures if you can. In the clubhouse section there is a showcase your setup thread.

You know, you are so right about the rabbit hole! I had no idea what I got myself into. You have been so much help to me and I truly appreciate it, along with everyone else who has participated.
  • mrloren
    Options
    Romo11 wrote: »

Thank you so much!

it can go very deep, all depends on how much you want to spend.

for example, Now you have a 7 channel amp no need for the AVR get a true pre-amp like a Marantz 8802. Speaker wires, RCA interconnects and HDMI cables can all add up.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Romo11
    Options
    One question that I'm sure you all can help me with. When I watch tv,the volume is at one level. When I watch a movie, the sound level is different. Same with the net music programs.in other words, nothing is the same volume. I need your guidance please. It's a Yamaha 3080.
    I've found something in the manual but, it's not really soaking in. Can someone break it down for me?
  • Romo11
    Options

Thank you so much!

it can go very deep, all depends on how much you want to spend.

for example, Now you have a 7 channel amp no need for the AVR get a true pre-amp like a Marantz 8802. Speaker wires, RCA interconnects and HDMI cables can all add up.

I understand about the cables, they definitely add up.
    Can you explain about the pre-amp and what does it do that my AVR can't do?
    Not questioning you, I just don't know. Will it give me something extra? I'm sure it does but I need to know the whys and what's.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    You're looking to source match. Usually there's a way to adjust the gain on the input for analog sources.
  • Romo11
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    You're looking to source match. Usually there's a way to adjust the gain on the input for analog sources.

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t really finish with my question but let me try again. When I’m watching a movie, I like the volume about -10. When I’m listening to music on net radio, my volume is about -25 for the same volume. If I do the adjustment, will I possibly blow out my speakers or is it just a case of getting the volumes the same with no damage involved?
    I don’t think I will hurt the speakers but just need some assurances.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Just use the remote and adjust the volume to your preferred level.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you so much!

I've been in this hobby now for over 11 years and I see absolutely no bottom. Depth is irrelevant, the hole goes on forever!!!

As @mrloren suggested, I just acquired the 8802A myself, very happy with this pre. Loving it a lot after coming from first an Onkyo AVR, an Integra AVR and integra pre, this Marantz is awesome.

And as @Bluefox recommended, just adjust the volume with your remote. I have the same experience with TV, Bluray and CD, all are just off some on volume level.

Congrats!!!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I didn’t really finish with my question but let me try again. When I’m watching a movie, I like the volume about -10. When I’m listening to music on net radio, my volume is about -25 for the same volume. If I do the adjustment, will I possibly blow out my speakers or is it just a case of getting the volumes the same with no damage involved?

Unfortunately, that's fairly normal. Different sources, different recording/mastering levels, different paths to your amp. That's why the volume is adjustable. ;)

Btw, that Net Radio source... You'd probably be hard pressed to find a lower quality source.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Gain matching will not affect your speakers, it's done at the preamp level. So to get things even, add 7 dB to your movies, and subtract 7dB from your music. That splits the difference and they should sound fairly even at -18 on your dial.
  • Romo11
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Just use the remote and adjust the volume to your preferred level.
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »

Thank you so much!

I've been in this hobby now for over 11 years and I see absolutely no bottom. Depth is irrelevant, the hole goes on forever!!!

As @mrloren suggested, I just acquired the 8802A myself, very happy with this pre. Loving it a lot after coming from first an Onkyo AVR, an Integra AVR and integra pre, this Marantz is awesome.

And as @Bluefox recommended, just adjust the volume with your remote. I have the same experience with TV, Bluray and CD, all are just off some on volume level.

Congrats!!!
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Unfortunately, that's fairly normal. Different sources, different recording/mastering levels, different paths to your amp. That's why the volume is adjustable. ;)

Btw, that Net Radio source... You'd probably be hard pressed to find a lower quality source.
    Gain matching will not affect your speakers, it's done at the preamp level. So to get things even, add 7 dB to your movies, and subtract 7dB from your music. That splits the difference and they should sound fairly even at -18 on your dial.

Thanks Guys. I guess I just needed some consoling and reassuring that I wasn’t going to blow something up. I can do what everyone has suggested, I just needed a”that’s OK, everything is going to be alright”. Take care.

• Romo11
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    dju6jwgjx072.jpg

That is exactly the way I feel about that Romo too.
    I’m beginning to think that is the gospel truth about the “coin toss”.
    This never stops until you walk away or die.
    It sure is fun though!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    Well, I wrote a long post and I posted it. I saw an error and so I fixed it and tried to post again and it is gone, so I'll try again.
    The last post I had made, I had gotten my Sub to work. It was a disconnected wire. I was very happy but the longer I listened, the more I wasn't liking it as much as I had hoped. The sound just wasn't right. So, on bended knees, I got my wife to consent to an Outlaw 7700 Amp. This thing is a monster at a little over 100 pounds.( The Amp, not the wife).
    I waited and it finally arrived. I was so excited and knew that I couldn't move it so, I had to wait on help. Don't you just hate it when you can't do something that you could do just ten years ago. If you aren't there yet, just wait, you'll get there.
    Anyhow, I got it hooked up and pressed the power button to start the system and I heard something that wasn't there before. An awful loud hum and I knew I didn't want my wife to hear it after her consent to spend this kind of money for this sound. It wasn't there before the Amp. Dang!
    The only thing I could think of was my friends on the Polk Audio forum. After searching and reading for over an hour, I decided to try the suggestions, starting with the cheapest one first. I bought a two pack of 3 into 2 outlet connects. Plugging up the Amp with the connector, listen for it, you hear it, silence. So for less than $2.00, problem is gone. I wish I could give credit to the ones with my answer to my problem, but I don't remember who they were. If you know it was you, I say thanks!
    For the last few weeks I've been in music heaven. As for the future, I have some albums from the sixties, seventies, and eighties. Also, have my old BIC turntable from the seventies that I'm going to try and get it working again. Also hoping that my albums have survived. It's definitely a large rabbit hole and I sure have jumped in. I'm sure that I will continue jumping in the hole and know I'll still need your advice. You are the best and I owe this forum so much.
    I promise that I'm not leaving, as I've been on here every day since my last post. I just like listening more than talking but promised to help when I see someone who may benefit from my help.

Lifting the ground may have solved your hum issue, but it is not a good idea to lift the ground. A better idea is to figure out why you had the ground loop to begin with and address that issue.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Romo11
    Options
    I know you are right and was waiting on someone to point that out to me. Thanks for responding F1nut.
    Since it didn’t start until the amp was added, what is your best guess, the interconnects or something else? If you have more than one suggestion, in which order should I start with?
    Thanks.
  • mrloren
    Options
    I had a slight hum with my Emotiva. I called Emotiva, they said to plug it into the wall socket. I had it plugged into the Panamax. Sure enough the hum went away. RCA cables might also be a cause. What RCA interconnects are you using.

You have a nice AVR right now. If you have an amp driving your speakers a pre-amp is the way to go. Sound quality does go up. I'm saving for one next year's upgrade,

Level matching.... oh my the volume knob gets a workout on my system. Just Saturday we watched John Wick @ -22db it was house shaking. Then we watched US. I had to take it to -12db for the good level we like.

Internet radio kind of sucks for quality. I only use it when I'm doing work around the house and want some background tunes.

• mrloren
    Options
  • Romo11
    Options
    I had a slight hum with my Emotiva. I called Emotiva, they said to plug it into the wall socket. I had it plugged into the Panamax. Sure enough the hum went away. RCA cables might also be a cause. What RCA interconnects are you using.

You have a nice AVR right now. If you have an amp driving your speakers a pre-amp is the way to go. Sound quality does go up. I'm saving for one next year's upgrade,

Level matching.... oh my the volume knob gets a workout on my system. Just Saturday we watched John Wick @ -22db it was house shaking. Then we watched US. I had to take it to -12db for the good level we like.

Internet radio kind of sucks for quality. I only use it when I'm doing work around the house and want some background tunes.

I’ll try and check on outlets tomorrow.
    Yeah, I know that internet is crappy. I was just trying to show differences in volume and giving some examples.
    I also appreciate the reference to the other thread.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Lifting the ground may have solved your hum issue, but it is not a good idea to lift the ground. A better idea is to figure out why you had the ground loop to begin with and address that issue.
    I agree. The engineer designed it w/a grounded plug for a reason. If powering it directly from another corrects the hum, pour yourself tall frosty one and call it a day.

BTW: are you a DirecTV* subscriber? I am and I’ve reduced hum to near-silent** by routing the feed* through my power conditioner. I had my power panel, house ground, & my dedicated 20A feeds inspected by an electrician. It all checked out. After I retire, and get the big honey-do projects out of the way, I plan to locate the real cause. I suspect it’s something w/the DirecTV grounding to the house ground.
    ** I can hear at night w/ear pressed against speaker’s mid range

W/your system OFF, disconnect all HDMIs and RCAs noting anything loose or that comes apart real easy - you may have a bad RCA signal ground or cable, or - something was about to fall off its socket. Reconnect everything taking care to separate signal cables from power cords (PC) as they’re* prone to pick up noise from the PC. Give the RCAs a slight twist as you reconnect.
    Then power up your system. If that didn’t help...

...begin w/ the V-knob just high enough to barely hear the hum. Very carefully move around HDMIs* and other cables carrying signal. Same applies to power cords. Listen as you go. If you hear the hum level go up and down, either you’re on the right path or you have a bad connector* or connection. If that doesn’t produce fruit, see next paragraph

Read this paragraph carefully to the end before starting. Unless you want to risk blowing speakers or you new Outlaw, Do NOT mess w/your power amp connections during this process. As above begin w/ the V-knob just high enough to hear the hum. One at a time, disconnect source HDMIs and, if it applies, RCAs until the hum goes away. . Now, one at a time, reconnect those HDMIs, saving the “hummer” for last. If the hum returns before reconnecting the hummer, disconnect. You have two or more hummers. Continue to reconnect your HDMIs and RCAs. Consider ground-lifting your hummer(s) if they’re 3 prong.

From here, fixed or not, mix up a pitcher of something intoxicating - you earned it!

I have to leave you here. Perhaps others can help w/whatever the next step is.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Romo11
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    I agree. The engineer designed it w/a grounded plug for a reason. If powering it directly from another corrects the hum, pour yourself tall frosty one and call it a day.

BTW: are you a DirecTV* subscriber? I am and I’ve reduced hum to near-silent** by routing the feed* through my power conditioner. I had my power panel, house ground, & my dedicated 20A feeds inspected by an electrician. It all checked out. After I retire, and get the big honey-do projects out of the way, I plan to locate the real cause. I suspect it’s something w/the DirecTV grounding to the house ground.
    ** I can hear at night w/ear pressed against speaker’s mid range

W/your system OFF, disconnect all HDMIs and RCAs noting anything loose or that comes apart real easy - you may have a bad RCA signal ground or cable, or - something was about to fall off its socket. Reconnect everything taking care to separate signal cables from power cords (PC) as they’re* prone to pick up noise from the PC. Give the RCAs a slight twist as you reconnect.
    Then power up your system. If that didn’t help...

...begin w/ the V-knob just high enough to barely hear the hum. Very carefully move around HDMIs* and other cables carrying signal. Same applies to power cords. Listen as you go. If you hear the hum level go up and down, either you’re on the right path or you have a bad connector* or connection. If that doesn’t produce fruit, see next paragraph

Read this paragraph carefully to the end before starting. Unless you want to risk blowing speakers or you new Outlaw, Do NOT mess w/your power amp connections during this process. As above begin w/ the V-knob just high enough to hear the hum. One at a time, disconnect source HDMIs and, if it applies, RCAs until the hum goes away. . Now, one at a time, reconnect those HDMIs, saving the “hummer” for last. If the hum returns before reconnecting the hummer, disconnect. You have two or more hummers. Continue to reconnect your HDMIs and RCAs. Consider ground-lifting your hummer(s) if they’re 3 prong.

From here, fixed or not, mix up a pitcher of something intoxicating - you earned it!

I have to leave you here. Perhaps others can help w/whatever the next step is.

Tony

Wow!
    That is what I was looking for.

Thanks

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I know you are right and was waiting on someone to point that out to me. Thanks for responding F1nut.
    Since it didn’t start until the amp was added, what is your best guess, the interconnects or something else? If you have more than one suggestion, in which order should I start with?
    Thanks.

What did you plug the amp into? If straight into a wall receptacle is it on the same circuit as your AVR and the rest of your audio/video gear?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Romo11
    Options
    I plugged it into it’s own receptacle but they are on the same circuit.
  • mrloren
    edited July 2019
    Options
    What RCA cables are you using? Try a different outlet if you can.
  • Romo11
    Options

They aren’t the best for sure. I got them off of amazon. I’m going to wait until this weekend, when there aren’t as many distractions around to start going through the elimination game.
    Thanks for the suggestion,I’ll try that first.

• Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,165
    Options

They aren’t the best for sure. I got them off of amazon. I’m going to wait until this weekend, when there aren’t as many distractions around to start going through the elimination game.
    Thanks for the suggestion,I’ll try that first.

If you're handy with a soldering tool, I got my RCA materials from @helipilotdoug also known as Douglasconnection.com. And he not only treats Polk members right, he's that way with everyone. Well, he's a Texan, what more can I say :D

I made some great RCA's that are hard pressed to beat quality-wise unless you spend hundreds....

fn1v9tlrlek4.jpg

t3dpq3aprsga.jpg
    zsqalu2w1ua3.jpg
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Romo11
    Options
    Those cables look great. I have been suspecting that my cheap interconnects may be the problem. Well, I started looking at Dougs and other places and I'm finding two different kinds of interconnects. Coax digital rca and stereo audio rca cables.
    Are these the only ones or are there others and which kind do I need to connect my AVR to my Amp?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,619
    Options
    Lame, your Yamaha only has XLR outs for the front L & R. Lame cost cutting move on Yamaha's part.

yamaha-rx-a3080-aventage-av-receiver-musiccast-in-yamaha-3080.png