Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    daboyz wrote: »
    Father's Day present. Highly recommended.

so5m5nbdupr8.jpg

They made a batch a couple of years ago finished in rum barrels and it was outstanding.
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    In all honesty, the choice you made was about as good as it gets. I've been a bourbon drinker for many years, although generally not a sipper. LOL. my standard drinking bourbon is Woodford reserve. They're distiller's select is fantastic. One of my very favorites. there are a lot of good Bourbons out there now. So many small batch companies have come on the market. And, of course, some of the old standards are still the standard. Pappy Van Winkle is a great whiskey. as mentioned in this thread earlier, Basil Haydn's is really smooth Bourbon.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    kharp1 wrote: »
    daboyz wrote: »
    Father's Day present. Highly recommended.

so5m5nbdupr8.jpg

They made a batch a couple of years ago finished in rum barrels and it was outstanding.

They still make it and yes, it’s outstanding!

I make sure to always have a bottle on hand.

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    Envy is my next purchase...never tried it. Just picked up my favorite scotch(Highland Park 12) and a Jameson Black Barrel. Both are tasty...I know they are not bourbon but they are still worthy whiskeys.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Upstatemax
    Grabbed this for Dad for Fathers Day:

https://www.garrisonbros.com/our-babies/balmorhea

It’s awesome!

Also grabbed a Bottle of Stagg Jr for myself. Happy Fathers Day to me!
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Grabbed this for Dad for Fathers Day:

https://www.garrisonbros.com/our-babies/balmorhea

It’s awesome!

Also grabbed a Bottle of Stagg Jr for myself. Happy Fathers Day to me!

Stagg Jr is awesome for the price. I have heard the Garrison is good but I have not purchased any yet.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tratliff
    Added this one to the stable tonight. Another buffalo trace product. Smooth, nice flavor and long finish. Highly recommended.

3bj8igbka7dc.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Upstatemax
    tratliff wrote: »
    Added this one to the stable tonight. Another buffalo trace product. Smooth, nice flavor and long finish. Highly recommended.

3bj8igbka7dc.jpeg

https://media.giphy.com/media/YKLBb9U2Q03Ty/200.gif61y1c23unfji.gif
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    The thing about Woodford Reserve is it’s triple distilled, last I heard it’s the only Bourbon that is. Irish whiskey is triple distilled. Most all bourbons are distilled once. Triple distilling makes it great for sippin’. Each time they distill it they remove more impurities. Like Trav0810 said above, that guy steered you right by recommending the Woodford Reserve. It’s really smooth. I went to their distillery in Kentucky one time and let’s just say I had more than one complimentary glass. Lol. it’s been my go-to bourbon since.
  • muncybob
    I just picked up a small bottle of Wild Turkey 101 to see if I like it...and I do :) It has a good mouth feel and a long finish w/o being too "hot".
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    I think I tried that as a teen....and NOT as a "sippin' drink. Good times were not had.

Haven't touched it since. Tasted horrible going down. Felt like **** the day after....maybe the day after that and never looked back. Reminds me of Evan Williams.

*Yuck*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    Sure it was the 101? I also don;t care for the standard Turkey.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2019
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I think I tried that as a teen....and NOT as a "sippin' drink. Good times were not had.

Haven't touched it since. Tasted horrible going down. Felt like **** the day after....maybe the day after that and never looked back. Reminds me of Evan Williams.

*Yuck*

Tom

but your a Vodka Fan remember :p

I think WT 101 stands the test of time and is maybe the best Value in Whiskey..especially if you but the bulk version at 1.750 ml...cheaper then two 750's and is as good as most when you sip it and are not shooting shoot's!

Found me some Bookers 19-02 o:) it is special.

I have to try Angel's Envy as I found I like Bourbon re-cast in Wine Barrels.

I have some Jim Beam's Distillers Masterpiece which was age 14 years then put into Sherry Cast...I took ti over Skips House in October and shared it with any who wante to try it. I know Paul & Dennis and Marvin and several others tried it, think maybe Ryan tried it also? I love the stuff which normally cost $249 & comes in a unique leather case with doors o:)

But I got a bottle for $200 then my sister say another for $160 at close out cost as they couldn't sell it at the $249 price.

I personal like bourbons that are around 100 proof or high, love most cast strength Bourbons like Stagg Jr. & Bookers and Wild Turkey Rare breed etc..

p.s. Forgive me Tom but you know I had to twist it again!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • kharp1
    Have you tried Oak & Eden?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    muncybob wrote: »
    Sure it was the 101? I also don;t care for the standard Turkey.

Not sure, that was many years ago. I have a memory that it was just a half a step above Mad Dog 20-20.

Haven't tried Oak and Eden yet.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff

This one followed me home last night.

zxe2nlj67dqe.jpg
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,647
    How is it
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tratliff
    engtaz wrote: »
    How is it

I have only had one drink of it but from the first notes it seems pretty well balanced. Reminded me of Angels Envy.

Wild Turkey has another Master's Keep coming out soon. Its a rye. I would like to have them all in my collection at some point.
  • JK27
    JK27 Posts: 3
    I cannot find anything that beats Booker’s for the money. I wouldn’t say it is the best bourbon on the shelf, but you get huge flavor with a very long finish. And it is far from the most expensive bourbon on the shelf.

If you aren’t into cask strength bourbon it might not be your thing though. The stuff weighs in between 124 - 132 proof
  • tratliff
    JK27 wrote: »
    I cannot find anything that beats Booker’s for the money. I wouldn’t say it is the best bourbon on the shelf, but you get huge flavor with a very long finish. And it is far from the most expensive bourbon on the shelf.

If you aren’t into cask strength bourbon it might not be your thing though. The stuff weighs in between 124 - 132 proof

You should try Stagg Jr. I would not say it is better but is about the same price and has a highly regarded rep. The E.H. Taylor Barrel Proof is also another that would fit in the category.
  • kharp1
    I've had a couple of Scotch that were finished in various Sherry casks and were both very good.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Picked up a bottle of this when I was at the New Holland Brewery in New Holland Michigan.

It's superb!

American single malt Whiskey finished in Sherry casks.

Zeppelin Bend Reserve is our historic single malt whiskey, aged four years in new American oak, before being finished for nine months in sherry casks from Bodega Alvear.

http://newhollandbrew.com/spirits/zeppelin-bend-reserve/

spirits-bottle-03-679x1024.png

Love their Dragon's Milk stout, and for a short while they had a cigar line that was infused with the barrel essence. Great cigars! Gotta love made in Michigan! There's a local store that carries some of the Zeppelin line, gonna check em out! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • voltz
    Have you tried Oak & Eden?

no not yet, but thanks for the Tip!
    This one followed me home last night.

zxe2nlj67dqe.jpg

I have a bottle of this also and really like it :) I like Jim Beam distillers Masterpiece bottle in Sherry Cask after 14 years in oak a little better but it retails for about $100 more...
    I never found the WT one called Decadence i think?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    edited June 2019
    Has anyone here made a "INFINITY BOTTLE" yet?

That is where you take the last bit of all of your almost finished bottles of Bourbon and pour into into a decanter. after you have many different bourbons in it you have a bottle that is unique and nobody else has one that taste like yours ;)

So Barrel bourbon started doing this with their barels..taking whats left and putting them together in special one-of-a-kind bottles. pick up my 1st today! mine is the January 15th 2019 batch. you can look up the batches here ...

https://www.barrellbourbon.com/infinite

• muncybob
    I'm in the process of our infinity bottle. Have 5 ingredients thus far. My goal is to have enough for a unique New Year toast for the 4 of us. Presently working on the next 4 bottles to contribute.....Turkey 101, Jameson Black Barrel, Highland Park 12 and a local bourbon we picked up in North Carolina visiting my daughter.
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,018
    Drank the whole bottle and things went downhill from there. Not sure why.

"Wasn't That A Party"
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • Upstatemax

3bj8igbka7dc.jpeg

Enjoyed some of this tonight with Dad along with a cigar.

It was a good night!
  • muncybob
    :'(