Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    Had a couple Blanton's last night. Finished off a STFB and a regular.

d21g3mwwpn2s.jpg

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    engtaz wrote: »
    What your opinion of Bookers?

The best of the Best!

When years ago Booker Koe ( the head master distiller from Jim Beam) created "Bookers" he said: lets give them the bourbon at foof proof and let them cut it to what ever they wanted!

and he started the foof proof legacy...I really like the CH Taylor I have tried.. but they have always been the Bond in bond..at 100 proof and I like them but never felt they were special... but I think the bookers were always better.

I collect the Bookers and have everyone since 16-06 and now they are up to 19-03 and each is different from the others!

I love the hell out of Todd .but have to disagree about some of the bourbons mention!

So if you find the Bookers a waste.. that is so cool as it saves more for me and it your lost not mines :p

7xsalro43dvd.jpg

For fool proof bourbon's I recommend!

1. Bookers..from Booker Noe!
    2. Stagg Jr.
    3. 1792 Fool Proof
    4. Ejiah Craig Fool Proof
    5. Wild Turkey Rare Breed Fool proof!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    for me anything over $80 is hard to handle when I know I can buy Bookers for $79 :)

bust he best price on a full proof bourbon is Wild Turkey's Rare breed for like $40

the best bourbon at my local store for under $30 is Elijah Craig for $23 and that my friends is the best deal ever offer in The World of Bourbon

(in my opinion only)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• tratliff
    voltz wrote: »
    What your opinion of Bookers?

The best of the Best!

When years ago Booker Koe ( the head master distiller from Jim Beam) created "Bookers" he said: lets give them the bourbon at foof proof and let them cut it to what ever they wanted!

and he started the foof proof legacy...I really like the CH Taylor I have tried.. but they have always been the Bond in bond..at 100 proof and I like them but never felt they were special... but I think the bookers were always better.

I collect the Bookers and have everyone since 16-06 and now they are up to 19-03 and each is different from the others!

I love the hell out of Todd .but have to disagree about some of the bourbons mention!

So if you find the Bookers a waste.. that is so cool as it saves more for me and it your lost not mines :p

7xsalro43dvd.jpg

For fool proof bourbon's I recommend!

1. Bookers..from Booker Noe!
    2. Stagg Jr.
    3. 1792 Fool Proof
    4. Ejiah Craig Fool Proof
    5. Wild Turkey Rare Breed Fool proof!

I knew you really like the bookers. That’s a nice collection of them. Don’t get me wrong I would really like to add all of those to my collection but when I have my choice it’s not the tops.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • voltz
    I understand Todd :)

But I have never found a bottle of Taylor's fool proof in my area! or I buy it instantly :)

I do love there RYE! my Favorite Rye for some reason is Willet's Special Reserve's Rye which is better then all the RYE's I have tried in my taste buds opinion LOL.. it my go to ;)

I have now over maybe 55+ Bourbons in my collection..still have no taste for Scotch..I like it but prefer the old Bourbons better!

• tratliff
    Yep. Same for me bourbon is my drink. The Willet rye is really good. I have 2 sealed and one about half gone.

My coworker picked up 2 willet purple foils today. I think he paid about $700 for both of them. I am hoping to get a sample.

Enjoy whatever you have tonight.

If we meet up at skips I’ll bring us something good.
  • voltz
    Have you ever tried "Jim Beam's Distillers PX in sherry cast" before?

I brought it to skips last year and will ring it back if you haven't tried it :)]

it pretty dang good ;)
    https://drinkdispatch.com/jim-beam-distillers-masterpiece-px-sherry-cask-finished-bourbon-whiskey-100-proof/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp3914&sc_intid=3914&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo7eYyK3P5AIVAY7ICh00Twc_EAQYAiABEgKtavD_BwE

• engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,647
    I like smooth bourbon with very little bite. Volt how does you list meet that criteria.
    Thanks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I like smooth bourbon with very little bite. Volt how does you list meet that criteria.
    Thanks

Then Bookers probably won't be to your liking.
  • tratliff
    Thanks

If this is true then I doubt any we have been discussing would be to your liking. The full proof/cask strength varieties with high proof tend to be more hot.

More of the standard varieties might be what you are looking for. Eagle Rare, buffalo trace, EH Taylor and Blantons...

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    Thanks

Get some Angels Envy, does it for me.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    Thanks

I had some Four Roses a couple of weeks ago and it meets your criteria. I’d never had it before, but I really enjoyed it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • engtaz
    edited September 2019
    tratliff wrote: »
    Thanks

If this is true then I doubt any we have been discussing would be to your liking. The full proof/cask strength varieties with high proof tend to be more hot.

More of the standard varieties might be what you are looking for. Eagle Rare, buffalo trace, EH Taylor and Blantons...

Had Buffalo Trace and loved it. Hard to find.
    engtaz

• voltz
    edited September 2019
    Thanks

I think Kerri and Todd both nail this perfectly..try something at a lower Proof..
    At first I thought Blantons was the best then realized it was too smooth for me and like most bourbons a t90 proof or below

but Higher proof bourbons can be watered down a bit by adding like 5-7 drops or water to them....then it opens up and has a new smell and taste...

Booker Noe who came up with the Bookers line told his son Fred Noe..who now runs the Jim Beam and is there head Distiller...Don't let them ruin my Bookers line.. and booker said: "Give them the Bourbon full strength and let them cut it (by adding Water) to the level they want ;)

so start with 80-90 proof like "Basil Hayden" or Buffalo Trace" or Ejiah Craig" or Jim Beams Devil cut o:)

after each year in a barrel - what evaporates is called "Angel's Share" (it evaporates and goes up to heaven) All bourbon except full proof is cut with water)

What soaks into the Barrel is called the Devils cut" so they found if you put water into the empty Barrel's and shake it around you can draw out some of the whiskey that had soaked into the Barrel-- so Jim Beam's Devil cut is watered down not with normal water but the Devils cut they stole back from the barrel :smile:

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I think I will stick with beer. This bourbon stuff can get you inebriated. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • voltz
    The Best price on a Full proof is Wild Turkey's Rare Breed...it is only 115 proof...and like $39 bucks :) so thry it full proof and then and some water and stir and let it sit for 10 minutes and know you have a wild turkey 101 :) or atleast a new bourbon to taste with buying just one bottle...

Jim Russell from Wild turkey said he doesn't like to make bourbon at those higher proofs like stagg Jr (132 to 135 proof) or Jim Beams Bookers (125 to 128 proof)

So their Rare Breed is only 115 proof! and he doesn't like to age bourbons over 8 years as he think this is the sweet spot in aging..(but I have many over 14-18 years ages and love how mellow the older stuff is)

• CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,018
    Buffalo Trace is the smoothest I've tried.
    Elijah Craig Cask Strength and Widow Jane 12 Year are the best I've tried.
    Old Tahoe Straight Rye is smooth, inexpensive, and subtle.
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • engtaz
    thanks you all helping me sift through the 100's of brands out there. might be 1k's lol
    engtaz

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited September 2019
    Try the Basil Hayden, its has a much lighter character. I would keep a bottle on hand for a hot summer day drink.

E.H. Taylor has a few labels, the original I don't care for, the uncut/unfiltered is among the best I've ever had. Just because they're barrel proof doesn't mean their perfect, some still benefit from a couple of ice cubes thinning it out as they warm up. The great thing about the barrel proofs is you get all the flavor components at full strength and you can decide the perfect cut for your taate.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Thanks

TX bourbon is very smooth vanilla goodness, I really liked it as an entry into decent bourbon. Now I find it a bit boring, very one dimensional with no complexity or bite. But man is it smooth...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • voltz
    I agree with what Kerri said, as we added some Water to Stagg Jr. which was like 133 proof and it opened up and the smell was better (as the higher alchol sort of masked what it can be) and it Tasted as good or better then most bourbons I tried.

So that is the fun of high proof, taste it at full strength then water it down an try it again...like have 2 different bourbons B)

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I’ve found with high proof/cask strength whiskey, it’s best to let it sit and breathe for 5-10 minutes before enjoying it.

Then add a bit of water if you want, then add more if you want...

I love high proof stuff because it can be so versatile and tailored to fit your individual tastes.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    TX bourbon is very smooth vanilla goodness, I really liked it as an entry into decent bourbon. Now I find it a bit boring, very one dimensional with no complexity or bite. But man is it smooth...

Love me some TX, but dang it’s gotten expensive...relative to what it used to cost.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • engtaz
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Try the Basil Hayden, its has a much lighter character. I would keep a bottle on hand for a hot summer day drink.

E.H. Taylor has a few labels, the original I don't care for, the uncut/unfiltered is among the best I've ever had. Just because they're barrel proof doesn't mean their perfect, some still benefit from a couple of ice cubes thinning it out as they warm up. The great thing about the barrel proofs is you get all the flavor components at full strength and you can decide the perfect cut for your taate.

I have Basil Hayden and yes it is very light. compared to others
    engtaz

• tratliff
    Bump
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    bump for some good booze
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • engtaz
    retried Basil Hayden. I like it but pairing the right food with bourbon it very important.
    engtaz

• engtaz
    Picked up some Buffalo Trace but was price gouged, but it is very hard to find around here.
    engtaz

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I'll be spending the better part of today painting the barn. Plan to reward myself sippin' some Makers 46 at the campfire tonight. Painting party anyone?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tratliff
    muncybob wrote: »
    I'll be spending the better part of today painting the barn. Plan to reward myself sippin' some Makers 46 at the campfire tonight. Painting party anyone?

Sounds like a great plan. MM46 is a great everyday drinker.

I have spent the week in Grand Cayman and purchased a bottle of Eagle Rare locally. Paid a bit to much for it but I really enjoy it.