Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    tratliff wrote: »
    I’ve been collecting for years and in the last two my wife might say I’ve created a problem. Although I really enjoy them the search is half of the fun.

I would agree with others, Buffalo Trace products are generally my favorites but I have many many more from other distilleries.

The best you can do is set a budget and start comparing those in the same range.

My favorites are:
    George T Stagg
    Thomas Handy
    Blantons SFTB
    Parker’s
    E H Taylor

The Barrel products are really great, rye’s, bourbons and whiskey’s. These are sourced but they do a great job.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

ak0e28s7gfad.jpeg
    ty88q4ben9ty.jpeg

That is an excellent collection, good thing I quit drinking or your place would be on regular rotation. Would love to know what you had to pay for the Stagg. If you're not comfortable posting live I understand.

Parkers is another great, rare bourbon.
  • kharp1
    I agree with the sentiments concerning Buffalo Trace. Elmer T. Lee left quite a legacy there.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I’ve been collecting for years and in the last two my wife might say I’ve created a problem. Although I really enjoy them the search is half of the fun.

I would agree with others, Buffalo Trace products are generally my favorites but I have many many more from other distilleries.

The best you can do is set a budget and start comparing those in the same range.

My favorites are:
    George T Stagg
    Thomas Handy
    Blantons SFTB
    Parker’s
    E H Taylor

The Barrel products are really great, rye’s, bourbons and whiskey’s. These are sourced but they do a great job.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

ak0e28s7gfad.jpeg
    ty88q4ben9ty.jpeg

That is an excellent collection, good thing I quit drinking or your place would be on regular rotation. Would love to know what you had to pay for the Stagg. If you're not comfortable posting live I understand.

Parkers is another great, rare bourbon.

I paid $300 for that bottle of Stagg but I have bought others this year for $250 each.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • kharp1
    Those are good prices. Last one I bought was about $100. You can't find them anymore, at least not around here. Secondary market for a few of the brands are at $1k a bottle. I spent so much time running around looking for the hard to get bottles. Last year of drinking I said F it. I'd buy Blanton's, Bakers and a few others by the case and pray they would last until I could find more.
  • tratliff
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Those are good prices. Last one I bought was about $100. You can't find them anymore, at least not around here. Secondary market for a few of the brands are at $1k a bottle. I spent so much time running around looking for the hard to get bottles. Last year of drinking I said F it. I'd buy Blanton's, Bakers and a few others by the case and pray they would last until I could find more.

I understand. I think I know where every liquor stores is in a 100 miles radius from my place. Plus the internet is a dangerous place to source bottles.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    Another great drinking thread. Love all the pictures.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,972
    ak0e28s7gfad.jpeg
    Nice, and I see some El Mayor tequila on the top B) I like those glassware choices as well. Glencairn glasses are good for sipping all kinds of spirits.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    I personally think that Sazerac Rye in your pic is one of the better values out there, if you like rye whiskey that is. It's $27 for 750ml at my local twin liquors...and can hold its own against more expensive ryes.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited May 2019
    I’ will first say there is no right or wrong way to drink bourbon! Second is , how do you like your bourbon, neat, rocks or mixed or all ways?
    I’m more of a neat bourbon/ rye drinker and if going to mix something I use rye as I find bourbon to sweet when mixed with coke or ginger ale. I’m about 90% neat most of the time.

Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey 101 are great value add good sipping bourbon to try along with Evan Williams White label (bonded). Jim Beam white label or Evan Williams black label if you are 16 and going to the school dance! :)

Knob Creek from Jim Beam is a next step up along with Buffalo Trace, Woodfords, Elijah Craig, Basil Haden’s, Wild Turkey 101 and a few others.

Next is the single barrels and the aged over 10 and 12 year stuff. In my opinion this is where you can really start to taste the different flavour profiles and differences that the distilleries want you to know.

Above this grade it is very expensive as some have said on here and a very niche hard to get market. I’m not saying there are not great finds out there but with the re-popularity of bourbon in America and especially the growth in Japan they are getting tougher to find.

I am happy with bottom shelf and middle shelf Bourbon and Canadian rye.

My go to is Jim Beam black, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams single barrel and Four Roses single barrel and Canadian rye Canadian Club Chairmen’s select 100% rye.
    My favourite is Knob Creek single barrel and Knob Creek single barrel rye.

It’s all subjective and how much you want to dish out for a bottle.

Good luck on your bourbon trail... it’s a fun road to travel!

My go to’s! :)

6oyo42egi4ck.jpeg

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I'm fairly new to the bourbon experiences and got into it after watching some you Tubes of The Whiskey Tribe.

A newbie may not like the "bite" of some whiskeys and may prefer the rather smooth and cheap price of Four Roses Yellow label. Lately Makers 46 has been on sale here and I find that agrees with me just fine. As for scotch...I never did like it in the past but Highland Park 12 has changed that.

I like to sip my booze...way past the "let's do some shots stage".
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    edited May 2019
    Picked up a bottle of this when I was at the New Holland Brewery in New Holland Michigan.

It's superb!

American single malt Whiskey finished in Sherry casks.

Zeppelin Bend Reserve is our historic single malt whiskey, aged four years in new American oak, before being finished for nine months in sherry casks from Bodega Alvear.

http://newhollandbrew.com/spirits/zeppelin-bend-reserve/

spirits-bottle-03-679x1024.png
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice Collection Todd, Those Antique collection (Stagg & Thomas Hardy) are almost impossible to get these days as Liquor store owners normal keep them for themselves or resale online.

Agree Greg that everyone has their own way of drinking it...but I see that most recommend RYE for mixing also!

Knob Creek Single Barrel at 120 proof is my main favorite except for my Bookers collection.
    y6quw4tpwt5u.jpg

I have almost 50 different Bourbons and 12 different Bookers. the enjoyment of sipping bourbon that sooner or later you think you have to try them all.

I not a Scotch fan and don't ever buy any...I'll take Kentucky bourbon over most!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    Todd i just bought some Barrel Bourbon for the 1st time this weekend and it was excellent, tasted like it was around 15 years old but was only 10. has that old leather -wood cigar box smell and deep smooth caramel taste!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    I don't even know what most of my favorites are. My cousin owns a restaurant/bar and if he's there when I come in he almost always comes to the table with a couple of glasses for me to sample...and he always brings the good stuff :D:D
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • voltz
    I like to meet your cousin then :) Write it down next time ;)

Next time have him bring 2 out at the same time...smelled both 1st and write down what you smell? then taste 1 then rinse with water and taste the 2nd ...and see which you prefer. Chad and Sara do this all the time then give out the winners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eat6FEksYM

• voltz
    Thanks Brock, do you prefer Scotch?

• tratliff
    edited May 2019
    voltz wrote: »
    Todd i just bought some Barrel Bourbon for the 1st time this weekend and it was excellent, tasted like it was around 15 years old but was only 10. has that old leather -wood cigar box smell and deep smooth caramel taste!

The barrel products are great. I think I have 5 now. The 14 year is good but I prefer the Dovetail.

Slightly different but very good. I picked up a Canadian Club 41 year whiskey. Had to have it since it was aged almost as long as I have been alive.

A great hobby. Enjoy.
    Post edited by tratliff on
  • voltz
    Hey Greg

Booker Noe who was the old Master Distiller at Jim beam created the Bookers Bourbon along with Knob Creek & Bakers (Named after Baker Beam)

He Called his Grandson Little Book! So the Grandson created his line of Jim Beam Bourbon called "Little Book" which is made of 2 parts Canadian Whiskey's and 1 part Kentucky Whiskey) and it is really good!
    hdl7tdjk20kk.jpg

• gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    edited May 2019
    Hey Greg

Booker Noe who was the old Master Distiller at Jim beam created the Bookers Bourbon along with Knob Creek & Bakers (Named after Baker Beam)

He Called his Grandson Little Book! So the Grandson created his line of Jim Beam Bourbon called "Little Book" which is made of 2 parts Canadian Whiskey's and 1 part Kentucky Whiskey) and it is really good!

Thanks for passing that along. Will have to have a look for it when I am back in the States again. Looks interesting... I really enjoy the entire Jim Beam line from their entry to the Knob Creek. I have not had any higher in their line up except Basil Hayden but I don't consider it better than Knob.

The last two years I have gone down to Kentucky for a week at a time and visited almost all of the distilleries in the Louisville/Lexington area. Great times and love doing the tours/tastings. Highly recommend it to anyone if near the area.

Last year I visited Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Willett's and Heaven Hill.
    The year before I did Jim Beam, Four Roses bottling plant, Evan Williams, Angels Envy.

I had been to Jim Beam the year before and did the tour along with the assembly line Knob Creek Single Barrel fill/purchase your bottle. Cool experience as now I have a Knob Creek 120 proof bottle with my own finger print in the wax that I cleaned, filled, watched go down the single barrel line and took home! I have since re-filled it twice! :)

Funny story when I went to Wild Turkey Master distiller Jimmy Russell was sitting in his chair at the store... I went up to him and introduced myself as a rye/bourbon drinker from Canada. He asked me what brands that I liked and I told him the ones i prefer. He stands up, giggles and slaps me on the shoulder, grinning he says, You ain't no rye drinker, come here son I'll show you some of mine. He grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 rye, signs the bottle and all was done! (if you look at my pic I posted you can see his sig near the top of the label on the 101 (bottle is bottom right in pic).)

Was awesome to meet and talk to him for about 5 mins, as he explained to me the differences in American/Canadian rye and the process.

Every Bourbon drinker has a story eh! :) Not sure when I will be getting back down to Kentucky to do some more tours, maybe again in 2020.

Has anybody else done any of the Kentucky Bourbon trail tours in Kentucky.. any stories to share????? :)
  • kharp1
    The Basil is a lighter bourbon, less caramel and toffee flavors than the others in that line. I'm partial to the Bakers. 107 proof with a good flavor profile. That's what I was drinking the last night I drank. Drank the whole bottle and things went downhill from there. Not sure why.
  • voltz
    I like watching Jimmy Russell interviews and talks with him and Fred Noe on You Tube vids. Awesome you got to meet him I got a sign bottle. Wild Turkey 101 stands the test of time!

The Kentucky Bourbon trail tour is on my bucket list! I want my own bottle of Knob Creek :) I've seen videos of people doing the thumb print.

Todd tell me about Legent? I know Fred Noe teamed up with a Japanese Whiskey dude to make it! so what did you think of it?

• tratliff
    I like watching Jimmy Russell interviews and talks with him and Fred Noe on You Tube vids. Awesome you got to meet him I got a sign bottle. Wild Turkey 101 stands the test of time!

The Kentucky Bourbon trail tour is on my bucket list! I want my own bottle of Knob Creek :) I've seen videos of people doing the thumb print.

Todd tell me about Legent? I know Fred Noe teamed up with a Japanese Whiskey dude to make it! so what did you think of it?

The Legent was not to my liking. I had one glass and moved on.

Now that you ask about it I will have another and report back.
  • tratliff
    This is one I recently picked.

Pretty good.

zhgsdfhpl0et.jpeg
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    8w10x2p18ueo.jpg
    If you know of him....you will know distilling.
  • tratliff
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    I don't know that guy from Adam, Russ.

So, I finally tried the Woodford Reserve, Distiller's Select I bought the other day. Not bad, if I do say so myself. Thanks for all of the replies, gentlemen. This has been an inspiring thread for me. I appreciate all of y'all's insight. Thanks for letting me pick your brain. Now to do some shoppin'...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • voltz
    Bookers 19-02 is out...I haven't found a bottle yet when I do I will buy 2

1 to drink and 1 as a back up...I have 12 different Bookers now and 23 total in my stash! (counting my back ups)

check out this review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKh9XnpukHc

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Father's Day present. Highly recommended.

so5m5nbdupr8.jpg