Sippin' Bourbon

treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,188
edited May 2019 in The Clubhouse
Hey all. This thread was inspired by the highly educational thread "Sippin' Tequila" made by Dragon1952. My three "go to" adult drinks (besides beer) are Tito's Vodka/OJ, Altos Tequila shots and Bacardi Rum Smooth with Coke/Pepsi.

Just last week, I stopped by the local liquor store and inquired about a good sippin' Bourbon. I must admit, I am a virgin to Bourbon (still am). What the gentlemen recommended to me to start out with was Woodford Reserve, Distiller's Select. Okay, so I got me a cute little bottle (200ml) to try out.

While I have yet to try it, since the tequila thread was/is such an informative thread, I was hoping that perhaps we have some folks here that are as educated/experienced with my newest venture.....Bourbon.

I am looking for a straight sippin' Bourbon for "On the rocks" drinking. One that is simply for sippin' for taste, not for the buzz.

What say you? Hit me up with your knowledge/suggestions please......and GO.....

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • rooftop59
    Since it’s right down the road from where I work, I frequent this place often: https://balconesdistilling.com/

Their standard baby blue is very nice, the single malt is one of the best whiskeys out there period.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    edited May 2019
    93lnvfknbx0y.jpg

4zecplrtiubl.jpg

I like knob creek for reasonably priced. Comes flavored as well but the flavors can be overwhelming. I love bookers nice and smokey. But spendy as it is a single barrel style bottled at whatever proof it is.

There are also affordable flavored whiskys that are fun to sip or can be used as marinades. Be sure and post your good finds.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    As a life long bourbon drinker (since the age of 16) that was born and raised in Kentucky I can tell you this is an open ended question. I'd start by asking you if you eat your fish sandwich with white or rye bread. I never liked rye bread and that has limited the bourbons I truly love.
  • rooftop59
    edited May 2019
    I do love a good rye bourbon. Balcones is solid...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    Makers Mark is very good neat and not horribly expensive. My mom worked at Sav-On for years and at X-Mas they would get these bourbon sampler gift packs with 5 or 6 barrel-proof bourbons. I.W. Harper, Bookers and I can't remember the others. The I.W. Harper was a 15 yr old bourbon and that was my favorite. I liked my bourbon over a little ice. These days I stick to beer mostly with an occasional tequila or vodka binge. Never shots, always vodka martinis or bloody Mary's, sippin' tequila and sometimes margaritas.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    cp1jdd1v75ss.png
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    kharp1 wrote: »
    As a life long bourbon drinker (since the age of 16) that was born and raised in Kentucky I can tell you this is an open ended question. I'd start by asking you if you eat your fish sandwich with white or rye bread. I never liked rye bread and that has limited the bourbons I truly love.

Crap.

An open ended question is not something I EVER like to post, as the end result is usually useless.

To answer your question about a fish sandwich, I will have to throw you for a loop though. I don't eat fish in a sandwich at all. Usually all by itself or fried using a myriad of different cooking techniques/spices/breadings, etc...

With that said, I never used to like Rye Bread. In fact, I never used to like bread at all, until the last decade or so. Now I yearn to have specialty breads and I know it may sound weird but I love some breads done right as much as I do steaks or any other guilty pleasure. (Go figure).

I guess that is a sign of either getting old...or getting with the program. Which one? I don't know. Olive Oil Rosemary crust bread has to be my current fav...

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • kharp1
    Guess I should have just asked point blank if you like the taste of rye bread. If you don't that helps me a lot. I dont like the taste of rye bread and my favorite bourbons are ones that have little to none. W. L. Weller Antique is a wheated bourbon with no rye. Much smoother with a hint of sweetness. Don't mistake that for wimpy. It's very much in demand and harder to get, but, a great example of what a bourbon with no rye can offer.

Best bourbon, in my opinion, is George T. Stagg. Again, very hard to get, but, a game changer if you get to try it.

I typically prefer higher proof bourbons, especially the uncut and unfiltered types.
  • treitz3
    Do you have examples of these Kevin?

Tom
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaWfZ9zdiH_io26xWbsprg

Darryl (@voltz) turned me on to this youtube channel. Informative and entertaining.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Just trying this one for the first time. Very good.

Bourbon, mint, simple syrup, diet 7up. Crushed ice.

y68l2z0wbvf3.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    treitz3 wrote: »

Tom

Tom

Kevin?
  • treitz3
    Ah, crap. Did I do it again?

....I thought kharp was Kevin. Like I said, I am bad with names.....really bad.....

Don't hate.

Shut up Russ.

Tom
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 857
    I would have to say my favorite under $40 a bottle bourbon by far would have to be Eagle Rare 10 year . For me it competes with others twice its price...as always your mileage may vary
    np4pw2tie5zq.png
  • kharp1
    Booker's, Stagg, Elijah Craig to name just s few. Many distillers have uncut or barrel proof bourbon. Barrel Proof is another brand.
  • nooshinjohn

....I thought kharp was Kevin. Like I said, I am bad with names.....really bad.....

Don't hate.

Shut up Russ.

Tom

Time to stop swiggin' off the bottle and measure a proper shot Tom...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    ???

Measure???

Proper shot???

Did you read the thread?

This is a Sippin' thread, for Bourbon. The best of......

Tom

• shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Buffalo trace is my favorite reasonably priced bourbon and I get a bottle of Blanton’s every year that lasts me the year......if you can find it
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775

Don't hate.

Shut up Russ.

Tom

It's Kerry you bonehead....
  • nooshinjohn
    I think he told you to shut up Russell...

• treitz3
    Kerry it is.....

Jeez-0-Flip!

Carry on broski's......(Like a little spat between Pelosi and Shumer which equates to not a damned thing)

Tom
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    get you read on for bourbon!

Ever heard of MGP? seriously.... it make most of the bourbons in the country including Blade & Bow..and Jefferson LOL yes Jefferson buys ther bourbon from MGP in Indiana! and bottles it are sells it for $$$

most bourbons are a lie...like Bulleit bourbon..brags about this & that and made in Kentucky???..made in so and so Kentucky?? its a lie as the place is not there...they bought there barrels for years from MGP..here lately they buy them from Heaven hills who makes Ejiah Craig & even Williams and my favorite Rye Pike Vile! and are in Kentucky!

some of my favorite no names are Rowen Creek and Noah Mills...both made by Willet in Kentucky...they bottle them but Willet make the bourbon for them...it is called sourcing! I have no problem with this if the own up to it? read the labels it may say bottled in Kentucky but made in Indiana hence its made by MGP...MGP make excellent Bourbon! so Does the Kentucky group like ..Heaven Hills..Jim Beam & Wild turkey & Willet! and others!!

2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    My Favorite bourbon's distillers are: Buffalo Trace who makes so many bourbons like: Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare! Stag Jr, Wellers, Pappy van winkle and Thomas hardy and Sazerac etc..

Jim beam who makes so special ones like Basil Hayden & Knob Creek and Bakers and Bookers!

Wild turkey who forever only made Wild Turkey 101 who is still as good as most out there.. jimmy Russle and his sons have start making special stuff.. like Russels reserve's and Rare breed etc..

Heaven Hills who make Ejiah Craig & Even Williams and many others..

and Willet who makes their own and several other like Rowan Creek & Noah's Mills! which are better then Willets own tuff LOL except Willet's Rye which is as good as gold!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• voltz
    edited May 2019
    If you want to enjoy Sipping Bourbon I recommend only drinking it straight without water or ice or pop....pouring only about 1/4 to 1/2 a teaspoon on you tongue and letting roll off your tongue onto the bottom of your mouth,, then chewing on it for a moment before your swallow it..then and only then can you taste the bourbon.

but 1st I hope you stop to smell it for awhile, before you sip it...go watch a few episodes of "It's Bourbon Night" by Chad & Sara" and see how the smell it before tasting it.. and maybe you will become a bourbon fan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwnAw1Qd9qI

• kharp1
    edited May 2019
    Sourcing has been going on for years. They make them to a specified recipe. Many if the brands use to be in existence and then went defunct and are being revived...some to original recipes. Saves lots of money that way. Stills are costly, warehouses are expensive, finding a good water source is critical. You don't just find staff for all those things by putting an add in a rural newspaper.

Master Distiller takes time to achieve, in the true, old sense of the word.
  • kharp1
    I've tried many of the new breed of bourbons, some made in far away places, but, they're not Kentucky Bourbons. Some of them are good in their own way, but, its not the real stuff. Some of these mashes have been married for over 100 years.
  • kharp1
    shawn474 wrote: »
    Buffalo trace is my favorite reasonably priced bourbon and I get a bottle of Blanton’s every year that lasts me the year......if you can find it

Blanton's is probably my most consistent favorite single barrel. Its reasonably priced (usually about $50) and I usually had good access to it. To best it the prices got unreasonable.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    edited May 2019
    I’ve been collecting for years and in the last two my wife might say I’ve created a problem. Although I really enjoy them the search is half of the fun.

I would agree with others, Buffalo Trace products are generally my favorites but I have many many more from other distilleries.

The best you can do is set a budget and start comparing those in the same range.

My favorites are:
    George T Stagg
    Thomas Handy
    Blantons SFTB
    Parker’s
    E H Taylor

The Barrel products are really great, rye’s, bourbons and whiskey’s. These are sourced but they do a great job.

Here are a couple of pictures of mine.

ak0e28s7gfad.jpeg
    ty88q4ben9ty.jpeg
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    shawn474 wrote: »

I’ve heard many whiskey professionals says this is THE go-to mid shelf bourbon.