Will my system work?

Options

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Add this to the Buy Once, Cry Once list -
    https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/sb-4000-black-ash-outlet-1160

Or you may want to consider the SB2000 x 2, works out to almost the same price.
    Not saying other subs aren't good, but at least I own 2 older SVS subs, and can certainly attest to their performance... they are amazingly robust subs.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    Another opinion for the pile. You will have better sound with an AVR and smaller speakers. If you want the big speakers to sound good get a power amp.

Running those all those large power hungry speakers on just a tiny AVR is like taking a Corvette and putting a lawnmower engine in it. It needs the big power to do anything close to what it's capable of. But if you put the lawnmower engine in a go-cart, now you can have fun.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    ......I'm running an SVS SB2000 but will probably be putting that one up for sale moving up to the SB16 Ultra.

You won’t regret that upgrade. The 16 is an absolute beast!
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    For that budget get this and be done with it: http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Romo11
    Romo11 Posts: 101
    Options
    Sorry everyone. I didn’t realize that we had gone to page two so, I’ve got more reading to do and I’m trying to decide my next purchase. Hopefully the answer is here for me. I’ll write later, either tonight or tomorrow and hoping to make a decision soon. Thanks and keep em coming.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    I will say that for subs, still bang for your buck new on a budget it pretty much comes down to SVS or HSU. And ever since SVS was purchased by the same company that owns monster, they don't quite offer the crazy value they used to (although the value for your $ is still very high). If you want to get the most for the $ and size is not an issue, HSU is the one to beat...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    And ever since SVS was purchased by the same company that owns monster

Got a source/citation for this?
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I will say that for subs, still bang for your buck new on a budget it pretty much comes down to SVS or HSU. And ever since SVS was purchased by the same company that owns monster, they don't quite offer the crazy value they used to (although the value for your $ is still very high). If you want to get the most for the $ and size is not an issue, HSU is the one to beat...

Please tell me you mean the company that makes energy drinks... :(
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Clipdat
    edited May 2019
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Please tell me you mean the company that makes energy drinks... :(

Gary Yacoubian, the president of SVS, previously worked at Monster or maybe still does. However, I'm unable to find anything online about SVS being "purchased by the same company that owns Monster".

This is the closest thing I've read about any change in ownership: "Today as president, CEO and managing partner of Specialty Technologies, LLC, the entity that purchased SVS in 2011, his company provides world-class audio experiences targeted to all demographics."

From this article: https://www.cta.tech/News/i3/Articles/2017/March-April/Sound-Revolution-SVS-s-Gary-Yacoubian.aspx

Further details: "Yacoubian Takes Over SVSound

Industry veteran Gary Yacoubian, formerly of MyerEmco, is now president, CEO and managing partner of Specialty Technologies, LLC, a new entity that has purchased the assets of SVSound.

Yacoubian, a 25-year industry veteran, was the longtime president of MyerEmco and spent the last two years as vice president of strategic development at Monster Cable. Yacoubian will remain a senior strategic advisor to Head Monster Noel Lee.

Ron Stimpson, who founded the company in 1998, will continue to play a key role."

I don't really think it's accurate to say that SVS was "purchased by the same company that owns Monster" simply because of Yacoubian's previous/current work with Monster.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Good lord y’all need to get a life 😬

I stand corrected😜
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Wow. Great info Drew. @rooftop59 please no more diarrhea of the mouth.
  • rooftop59
    Options
    Sure thing @joecoulson 🤮

The basic point remains: SVS makes great subs and is still a great value, but when they were bought by the new company, they began to be sold in Best Buy Magnolia, and the prices went up. That just means that you can get a little more value for your $$$ with HSU, but I have owned both and always recommend both over basically any other brand for the budget conscious.

Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • ivanlee13
    ivanlee13 Posts: 34
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert in this hobby, but I have very similar equipment as you so thought I'd jump in! I have a Yamaha RX-A3060 (2 years earlier version of your 3080), LSiM 707 (2), LSiM (706) (center), LSiM 703 (4) + 4 Atmos upfiring speakers (A pair of Klipsch and a pair of Pioneers) and a SVS PB-100 subwoofer. When I first upgraded my speakers I had the Yamaha powering the 9 channels and doing the heavy lifting while a cheaper power-amp power my rear atmos. It played movies fine and was sufficient. But decided to add a good 3-channel Athem Power-amp to power the fronts and center. It made music MUCH clearer and overall performance sounded better. I would recommend getting a power-amp for the front 3 channels and some good speaker cables as well for the front 3 channels as well.
    Television: LG 65E6P
    Player: Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / Chromecast Ultra
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060
    Power Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325

Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 707
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiM 706c
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Surround Back Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Dolby Atmos Front: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
    Dolby Atmos Rear: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR
    Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I've owned 3 different HSU subs all great, I've set a few up for friends they all love them. One guy runs his VTF-2 in 2 port open and listens to Metallica all day, actually sounds good.

I've set up a few SVS subs, once again all sound good to great.

I always recommend if spending less than $1000 get an HSU, a VTF2-MK5 for $539 is hard to beat and going dual with them is just over a grand. Now SVS 3000 series and up are awesome subs but do cost the $$$$$.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • joecoulson
    Options
    SB16 Ultra leaves nothing on the table. For $2k it’s the best <$4k sub IMO
  • mrloren
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »

Yeah I agree with that, if you got the $2k. The VTF2 @ $539 is a lot more affordable. I set a few up and everyone has been impressed. My day of playing with the SB16 was a lot of fun. Only reason they asked me to help is I could lift it. That thing is a beast.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    I'm thinking about checking out one of the Rythmik 15" servo subs. Only thing I don't like about SVS is they don't have high level inputs. Rythmiks seem to have a pretty wide range of subs and have heard some good things.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    ivanlee13 wrote: »
    I'm definitely not an expert in this hobby, but I have very similar equipment as you so thought I'd jump in! I have a Yamaha RX-A3060 (2 years earlier version of your 3080), LSiM 707 (2), LSiM (706) (center), LSiM 703 (4) + 4 Atmos upfiring speakers (A pair of Klipsch and a pair of Pioneers) and a SVS PB-100 subwoofer. When I first upgraded my speakers I had the Yamaha powering the 9 channels and doing the heavy lifting while a cheaper power-amp power my rear atmos. It played movies fine and was sufficient. But decided to add a good 3-channel Athem Power-amp to power the fronts and center. It made music MUCH clearer and overall performance sounded better. I would recommend getting a power-amp for the front 3 channels and some good speaker cables as well for the front 3 channels as well.

This is a great point of reference for the OP. Real world experience with very similar gear.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Romo11
    Options

It is great that we have basically the same setup. Quick idiot question from me. With your Anthem 325, it has 225 watts for three channels. With your AVR, do any of the Watts go to the front three speakers from the AVR or, do the front three just get the 225 watts and none from the AVR? Please forgive me for the question but I just want to know and I don’t trust Best Buy for answers. Since our speakers use from 200 to 300 watts, are you getting enough power for the front 3 speakers or it really doesn’t matter, with 225 being enough?

• Romo11
    Options

Are the SVS SB 16 Ultra and/or the SVS PB 16 Ultra good to excellent for Home Theater and Music?

• Clipdat
    Options
    Romo11 wrote: »
    With your AVR, do any of the Watts go to the front three speakers from the AVR or, do the front three just get the 225 watts and none from the AVR? Please forgive me for the question but I just want to know and I don’t trust Best Buy for answers. Since our speakers use from 200 to 300 watts, are you getting enough power for the front 3 speakers or it really doesn’t matter, with 225 being enough?

When you connect a dedicated external amplifier to the pre-outs on the AVR, you then hook up your speakers to that amplifier. So, the amplifier inside the AVR no longer outputs any power toward those channels.

Regarding wattage and power, try not to get too hung up on number of watts per channel. There's much more to amplifier design than that, with wattage arguably being one of the least important elements. For example, even if you hooked up a well built three channel amplifier that put out 60-100 watts per channel, to power your front three speakers, there would be a dramatic improvement in sound quality and dynamics. Even though the amplifier inside the AVR is rated at "150 wpc".

In the case of the Anthem amplifier in question that puts out 225wpc, yes this would be more than enough. The speakers don't "use 200 to 300 watts". Even during huge dynamics you're not going to be approaching that.
  • kharp1
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^
    What he said. The biggest improvements will come from adding a powered sub, and, with using your HT receiver as a processor and using outboard amps. If you decide to go with an outboard amp, please go with at least a 3 channel and start with your front 3...Left, Right and Center so that the bulk of your info has the same "sound." Its easier to blend the remaining channels with the receivers amps than the other way around.
  • mrloren
    Options

Are the SVS SB 16 Ultra and/or the SVS PB 16 Ultra good to excellent for Home Theater and Music?

YES! The PB16Ultra is a monster sub https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bK2N-UnS_A If it was me and spending $2k on sub I'd go with 2 SB3000 or SB4000. I'm about 50/50 music/movies
  • ivanlee13
    ivanlee13 Posts: 34
    Options

It is great that we have basically the same setup. Quick idiot question from me. With your Anthem 325, it has 225 watts for three channels. With your AVR, do any of the Watts go to the front three speakers from the AVR or, do the front three just get the 225 watts and none from the AVR? Please forgive me for the question but I just want to know and I don’t trust Best Buy for answers. Since our speakers use from 200 to 300 watts, are you getting enough power for the front 3 speakers or it really doesn’t matter, with 225 being enough?

As what the others have said, the power amp is definitely enough for the speakers as it's 225 watts per channel for all 3 speakers. Our Yamaha's are only 160 watts per 2 channel driven, so often times if you're playing a movie and have 9 speakers connected to it, you may be getting even less than 50 watts per channel. The power amp powers the L,R,C 100% through the pre-outs so my Yamaha Receiver is powering the remaining 8 speakers in my set up. Also, I must emphasize again the importance of a good speaker cable. I was the type that didn't think it would make a big difference so used a cheap roll of speaker cables from in any store. My local audio store was willing to lend me a couple of entry-level audiophile speaker cables + RCA cables and the difference is night and day especially for music. I almost feel it made an even bigger difference than adding the power amp lol. I'm currently using the Kimber Kables Classic 4PR, which aren't the priciest or highest end of speaker cables but they definitely sounded good to my ears.
    Television: LG 65E6P
    Player: Oppo UDP-203 / PS4 Pro / Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / Chromecast Ultra
    Receiver: Yamaha RX-A3060
    Power Amplifier: Anthem MCA 325

Front Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 707
    Center Speaker: Polk Audio LSiM 706c
    Surround Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Surround Back Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 703
    Dolby Atmos Front: Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-140SA
    Dolby Atmos Rear: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR
    Subwoofer: SVS PB-1000
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I use the 16 for 50/50 music and movies - if I was more about music I would have gone with 2 smaller subs, but I am not missing anything for my listening
  • kharp1
    Options
    Just something to think about while you're thinking, but, here's a 5 channel and 7 channel Outlaw amp for sake in the Terre Haute, IN area:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/183765-outlaw-audio-amps/
  • mrloren
    Options
    Those outlaws are nice amps and at a good price. Emotiva is another amp to look at that won't break the bank https://emotiva.com/collections/amps I do like my Emotiva XPA3 powers my front 3 nicely.

For speaker cables I liked Doug's Furez cable https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-12-awg-2-conductor-speaker-cable-raw/ I had this before I scored my type4 on CL. Mount some good bananas on them https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011AAU5UI/ref=sspa_dk_hqp_detail_aax_0?psc=1&smid=A3PKSUAVGUP5IE For surrounds Monoprice 14awg in minimum I'd use.

Subwoofer cables. Audioquest Black Lab is a good entry cable but I do like the Irish Red better. SVS soundpath is not a bad sub cable either.

Interconnects; Audioquest Chicago or Red River.

In this hobby it's not cheap but in the end when enjoying a bowl of Ramen with some great tunes playing you will know it was money well spent.

I have a few friends for what ever reason went cheap on their setups. When they come over they say "I should have listened"
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    In this hobby it's not cheap but in the end when enjoying a bowl of Ramen with some great tunes playing you will know it was money well spent."

Now that's signature material right there! :D:D:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Romo11
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I’ve been reading up on amps and think I have narrowed it down to the Outlaw 7700 200 watts per channel, Outlaw 7220 220 watts per channel, and not too sure about the Monolith 200 watts per channel.
    Do any of these Amps require a pre-Amp?
    Also leaning strong towards the SVS SB 4000 Sub or the SVS SB16 Ultra Sub.
    Comments and suggestions please.
    You have no idea how much I appreciate your help!

Rob