Impressions of Tidal

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Explain please @rooftop59

I just think that the writing on the wall after the Music Modernization Act is that streaming will either a) no longer be a profitable business model or b) get a lot more expensive for the consumer. Its pretty well known that almost none of the streaming companies actually turn a profit (other than spotify) and now it will be much more difficult to avoid paying royalties (which I think that they should be paying anyways).

Bottom line is that we have been in the wild west of music streaming that started back with napster, and I think we are about to see another big shift in the model. My guess is that the new model will offer different tiers much like cell phone companies, and you will pay to stream a certain amount of music per month, with unlimited being significantly more expensive than it is now. How long before that happens, I have no idea...
    Streaming services will probably push closer to $15/$20 a month. Or we'll see more models like hulu. Lowest paid model still has ads. Then it tiers up for no adds, and then additional content. I would be shocked if the big labels become an upcharge at some point. Something like "add the Sony Records library for $2/month" - similar to adding HBO and Disney on cable.

Don't forget net neutrality too. At some point that will factor in as well.
    Then if your ISP doesn't have a deal with your streaming service (or their hosting server company), they might charge you an extra $3-5 per month for un-throttled bandwidth access.

I think this all a few years down the road, but as they continue to sort things out, I would be shocked if hifi streaming got to $30+/month within 10 years. And that's assuming we don't have any additional internet taxes laced in over time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Explain please @rooftop59

I just think that the writing on the wall after the Music Modernization Act is that streaming will either a) no longer be a profitable business model or b) get a lot more expensive for the consumer. Its pretty well known that almost none of the streaming companies actually turn a profit (other than spotify) and now it will be much more difficult to avoid paying royalties (which I think that they should be paying anyways).

Bottom line is that we have been in the wild west of music streaming that started back with napster, and I think we are about to see another big shift in the model. My guess is that the new model will offer different tiers much like cell phone companies, and you will pay to stream a certain amount of music per month, with unlimited being significantly more expensive than it is now. How long before that happens, I have no idea...
    I think this all a few years down the road, but as they continue to sort things out, I would be shocked if hifi streaming got to $30+/month within 10 years. And that's assuming we don't have any additional internet taxes laced in over time.

but tidal hifi is already $20 a month??? And Qobuz is more. I'll be shocked if Tidal isn't either out of business or charging at least $30 per month for unlimited hifi within 5 years...but I hope I'm wrong lol.

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • displayname
    Hard to say. They might have the margins built in where if they continue to grow users, they might not need to increase prices. I think Tidal has been smart with some of their exclusive content.

But I think it's more likely that Tidal gets purchased before they really need to spike prices or go under. Maybe mergers with other services too. I mean Hulu and Spotify just partnered offering Hulu for free with a Spotify premium subscription. So in effect, Spotify just cut their costs in half, or offer double the content with no price increase. Which ever way you want to look at it.

I think new tax laws and ISP access charges are a much larger and much more immediate concern than the cost of the streaming services. I do think we'll see some hikes from streaming companies, but likely a dollar at a time every few years. Nothing massively shocking.

Here's one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen yet: steaming services acting as a label. Tidal is the closest, and Apple music has done exclusives in the past as well. If all the video streaming services are finding new customer bases with original exclusive content, how much longer before we seeing that from Spotify and others.
    Discogs
  • rooftop59
    Here's one thing I'm surprised we haven't seen yet: steaming services acting as a label. Tidal is the closest, and Apple music has done exclusives in the past as well. If all the video streaming services are finding new customer bases with original exclusive content, how much longer before we seeing that from Spotify and others.

i think that would be a REALLY risky proposition for a musician. With TV, all the money the show makes is from the channel that purchases it. But with music, most of the money is made on the road, from tickets and merch, and to a lesser extent from being featured in TV and movies. If you are only on one streaming service, that could really piss off your fanbase I would think...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    verb wrote: »
    Following this thread, as I am now subscribing to Tidal! :smile:

Sweet verb! Love tidal while it lasts, cause this model won’t last forever.

Do they offer a military discount?

Yes they do offer a military discount. I just need to confirm whether it applies to retired military. My plan is to upgrade to the premium service once my 30 day trial runs out! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited May 2019

i think that would be a REALLY risky proposition for a musician. With TV, all the money the show makes is from the channel that purchases it. But with music, most of the money is made on the road, from tickets and merch, and to a lesser extent from being featured in TV and movies. If you are only on one streaming service, that could really piss off your fanbase I would think...

Interesting, and I am tending to agree. A band I like, Blackmill, only releases their stuff digitally! WTF! Yeah I know, I wish they would release physical media.

But, I did, eventually, get the Cambridge streamer, and get Tidal. I do feel a little coerced for sure. In the end, all good, cause I'm very happy with the Cambridge! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • displayname

Yes they do offer a military discount. I just need to confirm whether it applies to retired military. My plan is to upgrade to the premium service once my 30 day trial runs out! :smile:
    Discogs
  • verb

Sweet! Thank you for verifying! :smile:
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Tidal also offers a student discount. My wife is getting her masters and I plugged her name into the spot where it asks for student name. Boom 1/2 off the hifi service. 9.99 a month now.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • verb
    Nice Brian! :smile:
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Kinda disappointing that they don't verify service. Hell any schmuck can say they are a vet.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    edited May 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Kinda disappointing that they don't verify service. Hell any schmuck can say they are a vet.

I had to add supporting documentation to get the veteran's rate. I received an email about an hour later saying my status had been verified so I could get the discount. So hopefully, they are doing this for everyone.
  • erniejade
    With the student discount, i got the same thing. Not sure how they verified she is a student but i had to wait for verification. Folks, use your kids names on that @DSkip
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rooftop59
    erniejade wrote: »
    With the student discount, i got the same thing. Not sure how they verified she is a student but i had to wait for verification. Folks, use your kids names on that @DSkip

You just need an active .edu account, which they will send a link to. I have been tempted to use it but don’t really think it’s fair. But since your wife is actually in school rock on brother!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • erniejade
    edited May 2019
    Nvrmd.
  • verb
    Another reason why Tidal is great. :smile:

So this Saturday, I'm going to an electronic music festival, and in looking at the lineup, I've never heard of any of these guys! Not a one! So using Tidal, I was able to search, and voila! Most of em are there! Gave me a chance to sample em, and develop my schedule for the day!

cmqtvghqx2cb.png
    8h1xjrzvj6j6.png
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Disclosure, Wink and Orbital - some of my favs!!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Orbital a must see.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Orbital a must see.

I gotta convince the Mrs! We're spending the night at the MGM Grand, and have dinner reservations at Wolfgang Puck for 9:30! :smile:
  • Clipdat
    I gotta convince the Mrs! We're spending the night at the MGM Grand, and have dinner reservations at Wolfgang Puck for 9:30! :smile:

Stick with the reservation then. Check out Orbital's back catalog on Tidal later this weekend instead.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    My vote for the best on that ticket is Disclosure.
  • verb
    So over the past few weeks, doing a lot of projects around the house, and streaming Tidal in the different areas of the house. Either on the Cambridge (main floor or basement), or if upstairs or the garage on the phone via BT.

Interesting, based on my playlists that I created, Tidal created some for me! Called a Track Radio. Hmm, interesting. So I decided to check em out, some were, meh, others, not too bad.

Been playing one of the Tidal created playlists most of the day! :smile:
    kmy3wbmymgb4.png

Just a snippet, but this playlist has literally hours of music on it.

• Clipdat
    Solar Fields makes good stuff.
  • rooftop59
    Tidal has definitely gotten considerably better with radio and customized playlists. Still not nearly as good as Spotify, but it’s plenty good for me since I care more about sound quality and mostly listen to my own playlists or albums I’ve saved.
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Solar Fields makes good stuff.

Yep. Marketing scheme? For sure! I've since bought a few BluTech CD's, and looking for others on this playlist! All good, cause it's music that ordinarily I wouldn't have been exposed too.
  • displayname
    Tidal has definitely gotten considerably better with radio and customized playlists. Still not nearly as good as Spotify, but it’s plenty good for me since I care more about sound quality and mostly listen to my own playlists or albums I’ve saved.
    I do love the curated music on Spotify. It's one of the biggest things that keeps me on that platform. I also use the collaborative playlist fairly often with friends. Spotify and YouTube are probably my top music discovery sources.
    Discogs
  • verb
    So I've been digging the suggestions lately that Tidal has been making for me. Yep a bit lazy, but nice to select a playlist and have Tidal stream for hours on end.

Still loving Solar Fields! :smile:
    0vhuq694n7n5.png
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    What about a senior discount?
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • verb
    Milito wrote: »
    What about a senior discount?

Great idea! I do know they offer student and military discounts. Our son has the account and gets 1/2 off. Of course I have pay for it! :smile:
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2019
    Tidal has saved me mucho dinero. The money saved from no longer buying CDs all the time and finding room to store them. I listen to stuff that I would of ended up buying, if it wasn't accessible through Tidal. The funny thing is my physical collection is large and I will take forever to make my mind up on what to listen to, I'm now experiencing the same problem scrolling through Tidal deciding what to listen to. The information on the artists that your listening to on Tidal is just as enjoyable as reading the liner notes on your physical media be it album or CD.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)