Will my system work?

Romo11
Romo11 Posts: 101
Hi everyone. My first post, but have been reading for a few weeks. I’m looking at getting the Polk Audio LSiM 707 (2), LSiM 706 (center) and LSiM 703 (2), and LSiM 702 Surround (2). I just ordered a Yamaha 3080 and wonder, will this system work without strain, or do I need something else? Thanks for all of your help.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Bear in mind that an AVR such as the Yamaha you listed will be sharing a single power supply between all amp channels as well as the pre/pro section of the device as well.

Most of the time, the power ratings of AVRs are taken using 1 or 2 channels driven. But the more channels you drive, the lower the output of the amplifiers...you are splitting the power between more and more of a load.

Looking at Yamaha's ratings on the 3080, you are looking at 165w (at 2 channels driven at 8 ohms at 1khz...they use the 1khz point because it is easier to make a larger power number at that lighter load).
    By the time you connect all of those speakers to that one AVR, you are looking at around 50-60 wpc...if that.

Here is a link to the Sound & Vision power ratings on the RX-A3060 which is 2 generations older than the 3080 but still a pretty close comparison.
    https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a3060-av-receiver-review-test-bench

TLDR: AVRs rarely, if ever reach their rated power ratings on 2 channels driven, let alone on all 7.

You also don't mention a subwoofer. Subs do the "heavy listing" in a surround system. They are designed to go deeper and typically are powered by robust class D amplifiers or the like that are slightly higher in the distortion.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Technically it will work.

However, I would order a lesser receiver that has pre-outs, and put the money saved on it toward a dedicated 3 or 5 channel amplifier.
  • Romo11
    edited May 2019
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you so much for all of your help up to now. I guess I wasn’t exact enough in my first post. I already have the Yamaha 3080 in my house. I don’t have a Sub but would appreciate some suggestions on one. With all the money I have already spent, what amp do you suggest, as I’m pretty much on my first rodeo ride. This is probably a one shot deal for me so, I want it to not be underpowered in any way. I’m retired so this will be my first and probably my last system. I don’t have bags of money but I want it right. I bought the speakers last night and got about 60% off so it isn’t like I’ve spent $10,000.00 plus on speakers. What your best suggestion for me on sub and amp and/or anything else I need?
  • Clipdat
    You can certainly try running the speakers directly off the 3080 at first, and then add a dedicated amplifier later on if you desire.

For a subwoofer I would recommend SVS or Rythmik.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2019
    Try the amp as us and add a sub and see what you think. Keep your eye out for an amp, or two, to add as funds are available.

SVS subs are very hard to beat for the price of admission. Great support and warrant, etc. Check their outlet for some savings. Still comes with full warranty and return policy. I'm running an SVS SB2000 but will probably be putting that one up for sale moving up to the SB16 Ultra.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited May 2019
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Try the amp as us and add a sub and see what you think. Keep your eye out for an amp, or two, to add as funds are available.

SVS subs are very hard to beat for the price of admission. Great support and warrant, etc. Check their outlet for some savings. Still comes with full warranty and return policy. I'm running an SVS SB2000 but will probably be putting that one up for sale moving up to the SB16 Ultra.

I like your style Kerry! I've been coveting the same thing! :smile:

BTW - Welcome @Romo11 :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    I run a 3070 in my HT. I think if you are crossing over at 60 or 80hz, strictly for MOVIES or GAMES you will be ok. If you run the mains full range, you may sense it struggling.

For dedicated listening to music in 2 channel, the 3070 leaves a lot to be desired in every direction compared to solid separates (pre/dac/amp/etc)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kharp1
    I had a TOTL Yamaha back in early 2000's and I liked it better for movies than the Denon 3802. 2 channel was the other way around, not even close. But it did have something special in the surround dept.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Romo11 wrote: »
    Gentlemen,
    Thank you so much for all of your help up to now. I guess I wasn’t exact enough in my first post. I already have the Yamaha 3080 in my house. I don’t have a Sub but would appreciate some suggestions on one. With all the money I have already spent, what amp do you suggest, as I’m pretty much on my first rodeo ride. This is probably a one shot deal for me so, I want it to not be underpowered in any way. I’m retired so this will be my first and probably my last system. I don’t have bags of money but I want it right. I bought the speakers last night and got about 60% off so it isn’t like I’ve spent $10,000.00 plus on speakers. What your best suggestion for me on sub and amp and/or anything else I need?

For what appears to be a rig aimed at HT you absolutely need a subwoofer. But, I have a question, do you plan on using your rig for 2 channel music at all?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Romo11
    Thanks for the responses folks. I’m open to any and all suggestions, as the more ideas I receive, the better chance I’ll have. What a great group we have here. You don’t know anything about me but you jump right in and help! Keep throwing your recommendations at me. Thanks.
  • F1nut
    You didn't answer my question.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    HSU VTF2 or 3 http://www.hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html or SVS https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers

Add and amp either a used Parasound or a new Emotiva XPA, XPA 3 for the front 3 https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-3-gen3

Speaker cables Audioquest Type 4 for the front 3 and X2 for the surrounds.

HDMI and interconnects Audioquest is good for this area too
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Thanks for the responses folks. I’m open to any and all suggestions, as the more ideas I receive, the better chance I’ll have. What a great group we have here. You don’t know anything about me but you jump right in and help! Keep throwing your recommendations at me. Thanks.

I know plenty about you, you are a lousy quaterback and a Cowboy at that! but I won't hold that against you.

As F-1 asked, will you be using this for music? This is important in assessing your needs.
  • Romo11
    edited May 2019
    My apologies F1nut. I don’t know how I missed your question, but somehow I did. Please accept my apologies.
    Yes, I do like to listen to 2 channel music but I haven’t had a good stereo in years. Even when I had a stereo, it wasn’t great. You are correct, when I ordered my equipment, it was for HT. After ordering everything , I realized that I want to listen to 2 channel. No I don’t have a sub yet but when I can get some more funds in, I want to add at least one and maybe two. Also, it looks like I maybe need an amp. What do you suggest for an amp? My room is 20 X 24 with an eight foot ceiling Please let me know your advice and thank you.
    Rob
  • Romo11
    afterburnt wrote: »

I know plenty about you, you are a lousy quaterback and a Cowboy at that! but I won't hold that against you.

As F-1 asked, will you be using this for music? This is important in assessing your needs.

You are too funny! I agree, he was an over rated QB and I’ve never pulled for the Cowboys. My name is a combo of the first two letters of my first name and the first two letters of my last and #11 was my number in high school back in late sixties and early seventies. 1968-1971, a long time ago. Yes I wasn’t thinking about anything but a home theater when I made my purchases but yes, I just assumed that there would not be a problem with music. I’ve spent a lot of money (for me) but I can’t walk away at this point. I’m too commited now. I don’t want to cheap out at this point but I don’t want to be on a diet of beans and bread in my golden years. Thanks everyone, Great Forum! Please keep the suggestions coming. I really appreciate all of the help.

Rob

• F1nut
    My apologies F1nut. I don’t know how I missed your question, but somehow I did. Please accept my apologies.
    Yes, I do like to listen to 2 channel music but I haven’t had a good stereo in years. Even when I had a stereo, it wasn’t great. You are correct, when I ordered my equipment, it was for HT. After ordering everything , I realized that I want to listen to 2 channel. No I don’t have a sub yet but when I can get some more funds in, I want to add at least one and maybe two. Also, it looks like I maybe need an amp. What do you suggest for an amp? My room is 20 X 24 with an eight foot ceiling Please let me know your advice and thank you.
    Rob

No worries, just giving you a hard time.

So, you'll want a sealed sub, which works best for 2 channel, but also one that will work for HT. For that I'd suggest looking at the Rythmik F12SE or the SVS SB4000.

Get a sub first, then listen to your rig a bit for music and HT. After you get a feel for how it sounds you can think about whether you want/need a 2 channel amp or a multi-channel amp. Keep in mind that music is far more demanding than HT.

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    You can also look at the HSU VTF3-MK5. Takes about 30 seconds to go from a ported (movies) to a sealed sub (music). It comes with port plugs, when I'm going to sit and listen to a CD most of the time I plug it. I've watched movies in sealed mode and played music with 1 port open. both are great. A HSU VTF3 is about $800, not as costly if you feel the need for a 2nd sub. Other HSU option is go dual ULS15MK2 and call it a day.

F1nut is correct 98% of the time, great guy here on the forum as with many others.

Please don't skimp on speaker wire, HDMI cables or interconnects (RCA Cables) These can make or break a system.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    Please don't skimp on speaker wire, HDMI cables or interconnects (RCA Cables) These can make or break a system.

EXCELLENT point!

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    I agree with Jesse's take...get a sub and decent cabling and reassess. An amp may not be necessary. A sub is a necessity if HT is going to be a big part of your usage.
  • Romo11
    Great help . I love to read up as much as possible and take the the reccomdations from pros, like everyone here. The more info that I receive, the better off I am. Keep em comming. And I do appreciate each and every suggestion.
  • Clipdat
    We're happy to have you here. Keep us updated as your system comes together, and share some photos as well! :)
  • Romo11
    Clipdat wrote: »
    We're happy to have you here. Keep us updated as your system comes together, and share some photos as well! :)

Thank you so much, and thanks to all for helping me. It seems to be a great group.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    mrloren wrote: »

Don’t forget about power cords. For me, they have given the best results.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    edited May 2019

F1nut wrote: »

EXCELLENT point!
    BlueFox wrote: »
    mrloren wrote: »

Don’t forget about power cords. For me, they have given the best results.

Subs, subs, subs, amps, amps.....

We here at CP are really good with helping others spend their money! But we do it with care by making sure you're happiest with the end results. All the advice in this thread alone is great! Adhere to it and you can't go wrong.

Welcome to CP @Romo11
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • afterburnt
    Pretty good sale on Parasound NewClassics at Audio Advisor
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I like everything I've read in this thread so far, so the only thing I will add is this -
    Don't pay too much attention to anyone who tells you that something doesn't matter, be it speaker cable, interconnects, power cords, etc. Most of us will not steer you off a financial cliff when it comes to spending money, we are typically a big bang-for-your-buck crowd!

Welcome aboard, too.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Romo11
    edited May 2019
    Hey, I just saw the Electro-Voice EKX-18SP 18" Powered Subwoofer at Adorama for I think $899.00. Is this something that would do service for my set up or would I be throwing my money away?

I just saw where this looks to be used for live concerts. I assume it’s not for home systems. Sorry for bothering you.
  • afterburnt
    Hey, I just saw the Electro-Voice EKX-18SP 18" Powered Subwoofer at Adorama for I think $899.00. Is this something that would do service for my set up or would I be throwing my money away?

I just saw where this looks to be used for live concerts. I assume it’s not for home systems. Sorry for bothering you.

Don't sweat it, I bother these folks all of the time and they don't mind. Sometimes I think that they actually like it. Damn weirdos.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    It looks like that sub is meant more for DJs or bands? The recessed carry handles and casters doesn't look like anything I've ever seen in a HT sub. The SPL rating is pretty high at 135db, but it doesn't dig very low (33Hz) compared to typical home-use subs.

Take that for what it's worth - I have no actual experience with them, and no idea if it would sound good in your house, but I think there are better options for you.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/