Axpona 2019 Schaumburg IL

Comments

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,701
    tvz85ih2gial.jpeg

My guess was 6ft tall
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,882
    edited April 17
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,279
    edited April 17
    The gentleman I spoke with said one of the reasons the highs sounded so good on their speakers, was because their high frequency drivers had no "breakup modes".
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,281
    I’m not sure I could ever own them based on design alone. I don’t find them offensive but I don’t like looking at them.
    Tony M wrote: »
    I researched the website and I was puzzled about those tubes. I was expecting some ports in the back or bottoms. I didn't see any. Carbon fiber tubes...NICE!

I remember when Kicker made those GREAT tube speakers 35 years ago and I think they still do along with Dewalt and others.

I guess there are ports AROUND each woofers' rims. Their picture looking down at them looks like they point into the tube. I don't see any vents or ports in the close-up pic I just found. See below.

I didn't read the websites' literature fully yet. Maybe in a minute I'll go back and see if there are vents/ports around the woofers.

I love radical designed tweeters and midranges. I've owned the ESS's Heils for 30 years now. :)

I thought the speakers were HUGE...but I see their size in this picture.
    1wiimtopsfcl.png

The pair at the show were MUCH MUCH larger than those.
    Agreed Skip. My first reaction, though the performance didn’t match this, was not pleasing at all. Almost gimmicky
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,568
    DSkip wrote: »
    I’m not sure I could ever own them based on design alone. I don’t find them offensive but I don’t like looking at them.

I don't like the look so much either, but if form and function make them superior to others at their price-point, I would not dismiss them either.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    The Klipsch I was referring to:

7vps0rzqbuyj.jpeg

I love the design and the fact that they are made out of carbon fiber.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    They look like earrings to me.
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 479
    joecoulson wrote: »
    The Klipsch I was referring to:

7vps0rzqbuyj.jpeg
    Forte III seem to get a lot of praise. I haven't had a chance to hear them anywhere yet though.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    They look like earrings to me.

Ironic, considering they probably have the least WAF out of any speaker at the show.

Another thing that was somewhat disappointing is that they were playing a very short/strict set of songs, probably 12 or 15 total, and were not taking requests.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,104
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Brian and I agreed that the best bang for the buck there were the Kilpsch we heard on floor 14 fantastic sound for the coin. $4k a pair I believe right Brian?

I was very suprised on how well they did in those rooms. They sounded nothing like i remember. Warm, clean, powerful with a great soundstage. I Googled them and they do have some great reviews. I have only heard version 1 of them. New 4k is correct. I found some open box models for $1300 each on my search.

Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

Brian, I really wanted to like the KLH speakers, but I just didnt care for the tweeter.

Maybe they would sound different in my own room. They did do some things very well, namely coherence. I will follow up with the gentleman who was running the room, as he suggested sending me a pair to review.
    Agreed Drew. They did mid and low end good for a 1300 set of speakers but the top end got a bit harsh especially when pushed a bit.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

edited April 17
    erniejade wrote: »
    Agreed Drew. They did mid and low end good for a 1300 set of speakers but the top end got a bit harsh especially when pushed a bit.

Well they were only getting 2 amps of current with those el34 tubes at all of what 20 watts... I asked that is what i was doing standing in the corner with the guy in the red shirt if you remember Brian. I had him cornerd and grillin him :smile:
    Good point Ivan. Also the digital source was a Dragonfly DAC. Not exactly the best.

It's certainly possible they would be a completely different listen with some other gear behind them.
    They were built like a brick out house and I've heard a lot worse at that price point and above. Would I buy them not likely but yes i was impressed a bit.
    What did Cambridge run in their room?
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    Who is the one resorting to calling people names... Pot, meet kettle.

Perhaps you should try cultivating a sense of humor.

You are a pric k. I have no problem calling you out as one. When you run your mouth like you do I'm going to call you out for what you are. If that makes me one as well than I'm cool with that. I've never had anyone on here calling me out like this. You earned it, own it.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
    What did Cambridge run in their room?

Heavy focus on their new TT. All Edge series electronics.

Not their own Aeromax towers, but instead, these: https://www.qacoustics.com/floorstanding-speakers/concept-500-floorstanding-speaker-pair.html

I was not impressed with what I heard, but perhaps it was just a lame record.

Anyone else get ears on the Cambridge room?

• Tony MTony M Posts: 8,366
    kharp1 wrote: »
    And they utilize GRANITE bases. ;)B)

So much wasted potential there... should have used something like balsa wood to cut down on resonance...

You can't help but be a p r ick can you.

John was being funny, believe me, I know. :p

Did you miss John's new amp thread? granite was mentioned. It's all good now though. :);)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,410
    kharp1 wrote: »
    And they utilize GRANITE bases. ;)B)

So much wasted potential there... should have used something like balsa wood to cut down on resonance...

You can't help but be a p r ick can you.

John was being funny, believe me, I know. :p

Did you miss John's new amp thread? granite was mentioned. It's all good now though. :);)

Yes, that's where I originally posted that comment.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,366
    edited April 18
    I hope you're being funny too. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • DerfDerf Posts: 209
    How can TWO separate threads based on AXPONA deteriorate into drama??? Can’t we just read the impressions of those who attended, enjoy some audio p o r n, and leave all the other junk out?
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
    I was not impressed with The sound I heard in CA’s room. Which is disappointing because I love the CXN.
    The speakers sounded flat and the high end was missing. I was not impressed with what I heard over the headphones with the new TT either.
    By that was my experience
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 479
    I wonder if the biggest hold back for CA was that turn table. From the specs perspective it certainly seems like they took a jack of all trades approach. But based on the gear mentioned it sounds like that was easily the weakest link.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > JBL Studio 580 or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
    I was hopping the CA room would have the Cambridge towers so I could get my ears on them but, I agree with Drew and Joe. due to their choice, it was not impressive.

• marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,695
    stereophile report. how could i have missed so many rooms, how could they have missed so many rooms!
    https://www.stereophile.com/category/axpona-2019
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
    Even on a 3 day, I did not hit it all. It got to the point of walking past rooms on brands or things I did not recognize.