Impressions of Tidal

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Also, there are several other cool productson the Volumio USA website for putting together a high performing budget music player, DAC, Digital amp w/bluetooth, etc

https://www.volumiousa.com/products/?limit=100

WHAT IS VOLUMIO
    Volumio is a Free and Open Source Linux Distribution, designed and fine-tuned exclusively for music playback.
    It runs on a variety of devices, typically small and cheap computers like Raspberry PI, but also on low power PCs, Notebooks or Multimedia PCs.

By flashing (installing) Volumio on any of this platforms, it will then become a headless Audiophile Music Player. Headless means that the only way to control it will be with another device, such as a Smartphone, Tablet, PC or anything that has a browser.

This is made possible by Volumio’s UI: a web applications that runs on any device with a browser, and that allows an easy and intuitive control of your playback sessions. All communications between the Web App and Volumio will happen through your home network.

•Runs on Raspberry PI, UDOO, Cubox-i, Odroid, PC, Mac and a variety of other small
    devices
    •Minimal operating system, tailored for Bit-Perfect Audio Playback
    •The system is loaded entirely on RAM and optimized for lightweight operations
    •Various Audio related tweaking for best audio performances
    •Works with any USB 2.0 DAC
    •Raspberry PI and Odroid I2S DACs supported natively
    •Supports all filetypes: FLAC, Alac, Aac, Vorbis, Mp3, DSD etc
    • Playback
    •Airplay Playback
    • Over PCM support, for non Direct-DSD compatible hardware
    •Integrated WebRadio directories
    •If a compatible wireless hardware is found, Volumio will create a hotspot network for
    first configuration
    •Mount CIFS and NFS Network Attached Storage, with an auto-discovery function
    •Custom playlist editing and creation
    •Plugin support with new functions available like Spotify and Digital Room Correction
    •Seamless update system: no need to reinstall when a new version is available
    • with a growing number of translations available
    •Image background support, even your favourite one
    •Alarm and sleep function

HOW DOES IT WORK
    Once you’ve installed (or flashed) Volumio to your device, and connected it to your network and Audio equipment you will be ready to play. Volumio will discover automatically the music on a USB drive, or allow you to connect your network storage and your streaming services account.

From now on you will control your playback from anything that has a browser: a tablet, a mobile phone, a computer or even your Smart TV.

Volumio can adapt itself to a variety of configurations.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675

Yes ..

Bk

audioluvr wrote: »
    Has anyone A/B'd the difference between Tidals HiFi and Premium service? Just wondering if it's worth the extra ten bucks a month.

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    gyosa wrote: »
    Yes ..

Bk

audioluvr wrote: »
    Has anyone A/B'd the difference between Tidals HiFi and Premium service? Just wondering if it's worth the extra ten bucks a month.

Sweet! Thanks!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I ended up canceling Tidal, primarily because I wasn't using it very much. I'm still searching for a more radio-like experience, like Pandora, but higher quality.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • audioluvr
    edited April 2019
    Steve, does your Bluesound Node stream radio? That's what I use probably more than anything. I use Tidal when I want to explore new stuff or stuff that I haven't heard in ages.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • steveinaz
    Yes it does have a number of music sources...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I ended up canceling Tidal, primarily because I wasn't using it very much. I'm still searching for a more radio-like experience, like Pandora, but higher quality.
    Steve, have you tried Spotify lately??? I find the quality of the premium service to be quite good, and it has radio/station features related to certain artists, genres, 'moods', etc. This is much like Pandora where you create a station for an artist. You can also create and save your own playlists.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • audioluvr
    Tidal does that too. At least for me. Maybe it's in the settings. If I start a playlist and it finishes it will automatically start playing music that it thinks I want to hear.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• steveinaz
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Steve, have you tried Spotify lately??? I find the quality of the premium service to be quite good, and it has radio/station features related to certain artists, genres, 'moods', etc. This is much like Pandora where you create a station for an artist. You can also create and save your own playlists.

Yes, I just noticed that he other day when I re-visited Spotify. Still investigating...

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Steve,

IHEART radio is close to the Pandora experience. However, finding a radio station that plays in higher quality is going to be tough.

Most all the streaming services have radio stations, local and around the globe. You can add stations too just by adding their URL. So I don't see how switching services will get you a better radio experience.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I will say that while I love the music selection and overall quality of Tidal, it’s algorithms for radio stations are no where near Pandora. In fact, no other music service comes close to the perfectly random yet weirdly similar music choices (great music choices btw) you get from creating a station in that service. Others have random, but not brilliant.
  • WLDock
    I started discovering 320Kbps radio stations using the incorporated vTuner app in my Onkyo receiver. Its a list of about 2600 worldwide stations that you can query through and sort by speed.
    http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp/BrowseStations/startpage.asp

Here are some other high res stations:
    https://www.hiresaudio.online/cd-quality-internet-radio/

http://radiobit.50webs.com/

http://www.radiosurvivor.com/2015/03/04/digital-watch-in-search-of-high-fidelity-internet-radio/

I would think most modern streamers allows one to load in URL's.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I think what Steve means by 'radio station' in this case is not a literal FM/AM radio station that streams over the net, but a 'sounds like' or 'similar to' list. With services like Spotify and Pandora, you can create a 'station' for a particular artist, and it will play that artist along with others from the same genre. And in Spotify, they have preset playlists for certain moods or genres such as 'study/focus', 'chill', 'dinner music', etc., as well as 'acoustic rock', 'new indie', '90s', 'classical', etc. And lastly, they have 'this is:' stations that will ONLY play songs from a specific artist, like 'this is Led Zeppelin'.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I finally threw in the towel today and cancelled my pandora subscription after having it several years. I signed up with Tidal and first thing I notice is it has better sound quality. 2nd thing is I'm hearing songs I've never heard on pandora. I'm hoping Tidal is going to put a lot of the fun back into listening for me. Lately I couldn't go a day without getting pissed at pandora for their lousy playlists and repetitions. It's pretty bad when you have to give the thumbs down to good songs because they get overplayed just like fm radio.
  • joecoulson
    Lol! I haven’t used Pandora in years but it goes to show that I’m completely out of touch.
    I’ll stick withTidal.
  • steveinaz
    Pandora seems to be very good at choosing songs I really like. My "Kansas Radio" station I created just nails the music I love. I've heard Pandora has been bought by Sirius/XM...
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I use ROON to connect all my streaming devices to one interface. In Tidal on ROON you can listen to an album and when it is done playing you can configure it to play ROON RADIO which has gotten better release to release. ROON RADIO plays like songs from artists that it considers "similar in Genre". Now sometimes after listening to a Steely Dan album, it will play maybe some Doobies or some Boz Scaggs but sometimes you'll get Neil Young or Bob Dylan with that too. But you can skip like you can on Pandora and tell them you dint like that song...

ROON is awesome. There is also a place in ROON called Internet Radio where you can paste your favorite streaming radio stations. The best i have found is JB Radio which is hi quality FLAC content.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • WLDock
    edited April 2019
    jdjohn wrote: »
    I think what Steve means by 'radio station' in this case is not a literal FM/AM radio station that streams over the net, but a 'sounds like' or 'similar to' list. With services like Spotify and Pandora, you can create a 'station' for a particular artist, and it will play that artist along with others from the same genre. And in Spotify, they have preset playlists for certain moods or genres such as 'study/focus', 'chill', 'dinner music', etc., as well as 'acoustic rock', 'new indie', '90s', 'classical', etc. And lastly, they have 'this is:' stations that will ONLY play songs from a specific artist, like 'this is Led Zeppelin'.
    Yeah, I use Pandora, Spotify, and Slacker just for those purposes also. However, I still get exposed to so much music, mainly jazz, listening to regular radio stations. My jazz education started when I was a kid with the legendary Detroit WDET public radio Ed Love program and the defunct WJZZ station. There are still some good regular radio stations arond the globe.

• steveinaz
    The Node 2i has a number of internet radio apps, what is a good one?
  • audioluvr
    KYCH 97.1 is good for a mix of everything. It also has very few commercials. What genre's you like?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I'm on my 2nd day with Tidal and already I'm wondering why I tortured myself all those years with Pandora??
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Tidal is NOT perfect, but man it’s awesome for what you get...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • steveinaz
    No doubt Tidal sounds great, it's a format issue I have with it. I have been playing with Spotify's radio function and seems pretty close to Pandora as far as choosing songs I like. The Node 2 and 2i do NOT have Pandora...apparently there's a bit of a childish back and forth between Bluesound and Pandora (Sirius/XM); each blaming the other for why it hasn't been integrated yet in the Bluesound products.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    So I've been dancing around the streaming thing, the extent of which for me has been ITunes via BT, and Pandora, which I like alot! Yep. Don't know what I don't know. Now after spending some time at Axpona, seeing all the streamers, talking to folks here, et., al., well you know the drill! :smile:

And, it looks like Tidal offers a military discount! Both active duty and retired! Anyone here that can verify that?

Oh God, help me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    No one can help you now!! Muwahahahaaa
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Following this thread, as I am now subscribing to Tidal! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • rooftop59
    verb wrote: »
    Following this thread, as I am now subscribing to Tidal! :smile:

Sweet verb! Love tidal while it lasts, cause this model won’t last forever.

Do they offer a military discount?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Explain please @rooftop59

I just think that the writing on the wall after the Music Modernization Act is that streaming will either a) no longer be a profitable business model or b) get a lot more expensive for the consumer. Its pretty well known that almost none of the streaming companies actually turn a profit (other than spotify) and now it will be much more difficult to avoid paying royalties (which I think that they should be paying anyways).

Bottom line is that we have been in the wild west of music streaming that started back with napster, and I think we are about to see another big shift in the model. My guess is that the new model will offer different tiers much like cell phone companies, and you will pay to stream a certain amount of music per month, with unlimited being significantly more expensive than it is now. How long before that happens, I have no idea...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1