This Should Be Interesting - Help Me Spend Money - New (Used) Tower Speakers...

MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
The mission is simple, I enjoy all my Polks, but as with my amps and preamps, where I have grown to try new and higher end stuff, I want to now try some towers that might eventually eclipse my Lsim705's. At least one or two of my SDA's will never leave, because, as the saying goes, "nothing beats SDA".

OK - so here's the parameters, looking for suggestions for USED tower only (have to narrow it somewhere) speakers that after thorough and diligent and very patient searching, I could acquire for say... under $1500 a pair, hard stop, no $2K pairs please. I know that's not a ton, but it is a fairly wide range - and here are some thoughts below to get everyone started as well as associated gear, room, and listening info.

Please feel free to also ignore this long and involved post, but I tried to anticipate questions in advance.

GoldenEar Triton - (which models?)
Salk - (reaching - again – what to look for?)
B&W - (most confusing speaker lines ever)
Usher - (which ones?)
Focal - Aria, Profile or Chorus
Legacy Audio - Classic
Dynaudio - (which ones?)
Sonus Faber - Venere
Revel - Concerta
Dali - Ikon or Zensor?
what brands/models have I missed?

Associated gear and room –

Mantown – 8’ ceilings, drywall on all walls and carpet on floor. Large soft furniture for dampening, including one large stuffed ersine in the middle of the room, right behind listening position. I’d call it a fairly neutral room. Speaker position between 7’ and 9’ apart, and between 6” and 12” off the rear wall. 3’ to 4’ to the side walls and about 10’-12’ to the listeners ear.

Needs to work fairly equally well with:
Amps – McCormack DNA-1 OR Pass Labs x150.2
Preamps – EE Minimax “Tutay” modded OR Audible Illusions Modulus 1
Phono – Parks Audio Budgie OR Vincent Pho-800
Turntables – Music Hall mmf 5.1 OR Yamaha YP-D6 DD
CDP – Marantz 8400 SACD OR Sony S-9000es SACD

Listening style – almost 100% 2 channel audio, via a fairly even mix of CD, SACD, and Vinyl with the occasional BT Streaming through and Audioengine B1. Listening preferences vary all over the board, mostly all forms of classic rock, but jazz, classical, blues, reggae, female vocals, even some rap & country can be part of the mix.

I have really always liked the Polk sound, as you will obviously see below from my speaker selections, but generally I tend to favor what I would call a fairly accurate speaker, airy highs with detail, punchy mid-bass, and a present, but not overwhelming bottom.
I have already auditioned several models of vintage Infinity, Wharfedale Emeralds, Polk SDA 2a, 2bTL (modded), 1c (modded), CRS+4.1TL (modded), 5b’s, Lsim 705, several models of vintage AR, Klipsch KG-2, and Bose 901 Series IV.

Let the games begin - I appreciate any thoughts and suggestions!
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    You place an emphasis on imaging and soundstage?
  • MrBuhl
    Definitely - damn I was trying to be so thorough! Thanks!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Them Ushers still in the FM?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    Skip has a pair of usher 6381's but don't know how he would get them to you, wait i have the boxes in my attic.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    Salk Songtower.....
    $ 2K brand new

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ I dont even see many used Salks in my range^^, and I think that would be the "each price" on new ones?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    edited March 2019
    marvda1 wrote: »
    Skip has a pair of usher 6381's but don't know how he would get them to you, wait i have the boxes in my attic.

I've been noodling these, I do like to avoid a rear firing port if I can because of placement issues tho... hmmm makes that new Usher Skip mentioned intriguing...

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    You mentioned you’ve heard vintage Infinity - does that include a set of Kappa 9? The midrange of the Kappa 9 is superb, and you McCormack would have no trouble with the well known low impedance challenges of the speaker. $1,500 is right in the ballpark for a nice pair in good condition.

Also, add the Focus 20/20 to your potential Legacy Audio query. If I had to sell all of my speakers off, my Focus 20/20 pair would be the last to go. They are the best all around speaker I have ever owned, and can be had for $1,500 if you are patient. They do have twin rear facing ports though...

Anyway, just a couple thoughts. Good luck with your search!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Magnepan 1.7's
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    I went from Polk LSiM 705's to GoldenEar Triton 2's. It's the first time in a long time I have not felt the need to upgrade.

Clear, airy, detail.... this describes the Tritons. What I also love is the powered sub in the speaker. You can adjust the gain as needed, which provides a ton of flexibility.

I even used some of the equipment you listed. At one point I had them hooked up to a Parks Audio Budgie, Dared sl200a and McCormack DNA .5. Even compared to my current Rogue, I preferred that combo. I remember having a non-audiophile buddy come by and he was just gobsmacked. He didn't want to stop listening and I just kept pulling albums. It was fun.

I have not heard any of the other models you mention, but that is my experience anyways.

Have fun!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • MrBuhl
    Super helpful suggestions guys! Thank you! Anyone familiar with Focal Electra 926's?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Magnepan 1.7's

Maggies? Really - I hadn't thought of those!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• nooshinjohn
    You may need a sub, but at your price point the Maggie will image like crazy and present an addictive soundstage that simply cannot be beat at that price.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    If you can go a touch higher you can find the 3.6r at around 2k.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @hochpt21 don't "feel" the need to upgrade? Someone check him for a pulse.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Location?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    What he said. I got my 3.6s for a little more than $2000 five years ago.
  • MrBuhl
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Location?

Washington DC region now

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    daddyjt wrote: »
    You mentioned you’ve heard vintage Infinity - does that include a set of Kappa 9?

Also, add the Focus 20/20 to your potential Legacy Audio query. If I had to sell all of my speakers off, my Focus 20/20 pair ...They do have twin rear facing ports though...

Anyway, just a couple thoughts. Good luck with your search!

Nothing as big as the Kappa 9, no, and I didn't think the 20/20 could be had at that price point! This is good, suggestions expanding the horizon!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    You may need a sub, but at your price point the Maggie will image like crazy and present an addictive soundstage that simply cannot be beat at that price.

I want to avoid a sub, but I am not a die hard for low end so that may be OK.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Love me some Legacy's!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    MrBuhl wrote: »

I want to avoid a sub, but I am not a die hard for low end so that may be OK.

I listened to them the other week at a local dealer. Hooked up to modest gear (Parasound P5 and A21), in a similar sized room to yours and they sounded great with I think plenty of bass. I'm also not a bass head, so I don't demand a lot of bass from my speakers.

Right before I listened to the flagship 30.7 and I was not impressed. I walked out of that room with a poor impression of Magnepan. Went to another room that had the 1.7's and they were far better in that set up.

I'm sure the 30.7's can sound much better than they did in that listening session, but the Magnepan rep wanted to show off how good they can be even in a less than ideal set up. I think it backfired, big time.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    edited March 2019
    For what it's worth... There are some formidable monitors that show up in that price point

Wilson audio cub, with the target stands
    Jm lab mini utopia

Just to name a few, the price range is around 1800 to 2500.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4. I’ll admit that I am biased, those are the speakers that I own.
  • MrBuhl
    Tony M wrote: »
    How about these beauties?! 1500.00

Just a little road trip... ;)

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/d/bynum-infinity-rs-iia-speakers/6838176716.html

Already down to $1450! That's not a bad trip, I would travel that distance for the right speakers, its a day out and back basically... I don't know much about these, I'll have to get some read on.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    edited March 2019
    adb3da wrote: »
    Dynaudio Contour S3.4. I’ll admit that I am biased, those are the speakers that I own.

Personal experience is welcomed! Nothing wrong with that and in fact what I'm hoping for!

What do you dig about them?

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    VR3 wrote: »
    For what it's worth... There are some formidable monitors that show up in that price point

Wilson audio cub, with the target stands
    Jm lab mini utopia

Just to name a few, the price range is around 1800 to 2500.

I appreciate that, I just feel like I'm comparing to the Lsim705 towers, so I want to stay tower, probably goofy I know - but I'm also afraid I'll never get there if I open up to monitor sized LOL!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    I understand, Im a tower guy myself... but these are hard to call monitors... they weigh around 80 to 90 pounds and use world class drivers, just saying! :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MrBuhl
    ^^ Yikes!! ^^ Don't make me do it!! :wink:

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre