Any owner updates on Carver Crimson 275 stereo tube power amplifier for 2019?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    @audioluvr... don’t sweat this thread man. There is a whole story here you don’t have the details on.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I've got a headache from reading this discussion. It's like you all summoned up the anti-Christ some how and we got a glimpse of him and now he's gone. Not sure why you would all do that... Is it some kind of test to prove your witchcraft skills or something? Not sure I want to play anymore. Sorry.

heh, you're on to us.

https://youtu.be/zrzMhU_4m-g
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Ok folks I was the guy who started the whole Carver Crimson 275 thread.

Up front and most importantly, I would like to personally apologize to all the forum members at Polk Audio as I never meant to mislead, or create a “cloak and dagger” syndrome over what happened.

I ordered the amplifier on November 1st 2018.

Over the next 7.1 weeks I had numerous conversations with the manufacturer and the vendor. I had been conversing with 4 different individuals.

This was a difficult time as conversations fluctuated.

On December 20th 2018 when I received the amplifier, I decided to “cut my losses” and just return the amplifier. I also contacted Ken the now retired moderator here at Polk Audio and requested he remove the original thread.

I then contacted the vendor and the manufacturer letting them know I was returning the amplifier, I DID discuss the specific details for my decision, provide the necessary documentation and shipped the amplifier back.

I also told the manufacturer I would NOT go on the Polk Audio forum page and make negative comments about the amplifier, the manufacturer or the vendor.

I also told the manufacturer I did not want any contact from them or the vendor and they have complied with my request.

Being a man of my word, I have not nor will not discuss the “specifics” of my decision.

I will tell you I never installed the tubes or powered on the amplifier. With everything up to this point I did not want to take a chance at damaging anything.

Factually, I did NOT return the amplifier for any performance issues.

FWIW, I love to go into the specifics but as stated earlier I made a promise to the manufacturer and I will keep my word.

Probably should not mention this personal part of the story as it might be viewed somehow wrong, but what the heck.

In the beginning I was like a kid again on Christmas Eve. I was so excited I literally could not sleep the night I placed the order.

I even wrote up a hypothetical review on my expectations, the break in procedure I was going to use, what speakers first, what cd’s first which actual songs with specific sections of sounds in any given audio tract.

My wife ordered me some new white cotton gloves to wear while handling the amplifier. I ordered a new custom acrylic cover for when the amplifier was not in use and a new piece of furniture for it to sit on.

I’d bet I measured where the amp was going to reside 20+ times, sat in my chair and just imagined.

I also planned that once I did receive the amp and got everything setup, I would spend the next 4 weeks going to what I hoped to be that “magical’ place in the world of tube amplification.

Finally after the 4 weeks of use, I was going to attempt to write some sort of actual review to let everyone here know what my ears are actually now hearing versus the hypothetical expectations I had in the beginning.

I closing and to “beat a dead horse”, I said it in the beginning and will say it again. I NEVER wanted to mislead the fine folks at Club Polk who I with GREAT pride consider my comrades in the wonderful of AUDIO!!

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Sorry if I dragged you into this, @oldrocker!

My interest was and remains in the amplifier (I seriously considered buying one, too) and how they're actually doing in the wild... there's still very little information on that, irrespective of the collateral damage we've been drawn into discussing (again). Personally, I am far less interested in the drama than in the amplifier and how they're really working in the real world.

... and I do apologize for fanning the flames. :(

(and I'd still love to see a photo of one of these amps with the bottom cover removed!)

• oldrocker
    Its all good Doc.

I was more worried about upsetting the forum as to anything else.

Trust me, I'll be reading the reviews if and when they surface.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    After what they put you through, they should have let you keep the amp anyway and refunded your money.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • oldrocker
    After what they put you through, they should have let you keep the amp anyway and refunded your money.

It's all good.

Wanna these days, I'm gonna make a drive to Texas, spend some time with a guy that rumor has is it, is one of them there tube guys.....

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    oldrocker wrote: »
    On December 20th 2018 when I received the amplifier, I decided to “cut my losses” and just return the amplifier. I also contacted Ken the now retired moderator here at Polk Audio and requested he remove the original thread.
    Just curious - why have the thread removed?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dunno John, I would think most Audio companies have a story behind them that reads like a day time soap opera filled with drama. Why Carver seems to be the "general Hospital" of audio soap opera still baffles me.

I think, and just my opinion here, that if Bob himself got out in front of more people, it might go a long way in normalizing the drama.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Just curious - why have the thread removed?

It was a big exciting thing for me back then, some members showed excitement/curiosity also.

It then became a very negative emotional thing and I didn't want to mislead anyone who might have been considering purchasing one themselves.

I just wanted to shut it down and move on...

My biggest regret is if I mislead any members here over the whole thing.

• oldrocker
    In a perfect world, here’s what I’d like to see happen.

With the Carver Corporation and Skip at audio thesis agreeing on this of course.
    Carver Corporation sends Skip a Carver Crimson 275 amplifier.

Skip keeps it for a week, uses the product, writes a review and then ships it to another Polk Audio forum member. The participating members are at Skip’s discretion.

They next 8 people do the same thing, listen, review and send to the next person with the last person sending the amplifier back to Carver.

All completed reviews posted here.

Mandates being the people reviewing the amplifier be as unbiased as humanly possible regardless how the current and past threads on the amplifier have went.

Also, and not wanting to step on Hardy’s toes but NO taking apart the amplifier to see how things work. :D

I get it Doc, you’re a “how does it work” science guy which I do appreciate to the highest level but we’d be only reviewing how it sounds.

Folks, I understand I partially created this can of worms, which was never my intention.

I'd just like to see this ordeal have a positive outcome.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    tonyb wrote: »
    I dunno John, I would think most Audio companies have a story behind them that reads like a day time soap opera filled with drama. Why Carver seems to be the "general Hospital" of audio soap opera still baffles me.

Not the magnitude of this cluster. WTF.
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think, and just my opinion here, that if Bob himself got out in front of more people, it might go a long way in normalizing the drama.

The train has left the station and appears to be heading off the tracks rather quickly...no reigning it in now.

Oldrocker you did nothing wrong. It's the arrogance and dismissiveness of "Frank" that is the entire heart of the issue. I don't believe a word of his BS.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647

For the record: I am quite interested in how it sounds, too! I just wasn't $2500 interested, I decided :)
  • mhardy6647

My biggest regret is if I mislead any members here over the whole thing.

I don't think you have any culpability on that front at all, FWIW.
  • oldrocker
    Hello Monoprice, time to dip my toes.

FULL DISCLOSURE: That was ONLY an ill fated attempt at a joke... :#
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Gotcha, thanks @oldrocker .
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mhardy6647

careful what you wish for...

8o3t7xzf8ium.png

That thing's sittin' not 20 feet from me as I type this... and I've got boxes and scissors and tape and I know how to use 'em.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    For the record: I am quite interested in how it sounds, too! I just wasn't $2500 interested, I decided :)

And even less interested at 2750.00 :p
  • tonyb

careful what you wish for...

8o3t7xzf8ium.png

That thing's sittin' not 20 feet from me as I type this... and I've got boxes and scissors and tape and I know how to use 'em.

Is that the recommended safe distance stated in the manual ? Love the fire orange glow....kinda appropriate dontcha think ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    I have time to run to the nearest exit...
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I have time to run to the nearest exit...

Get a good set of ove gloves and throw it out the window instead. It's not worth risking the house and all that cool vintage gear you've managed to hoard stockpile gather over the years

7109gngC%2BDL._SL1019_.jpg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    ... but we digress.

B)
  • FMalitz wrote: »
    Magnaryder wrote: »
    For the record: I am still looking for a third party 'review' -- a formal review with measurements would be nice, but a long-term assessment by a purchaser (ideally not one of that first 50 'fanatics') would be fine.

Pictures of the innards would be nice to see, too.

There is just so little chatter about these, two months after the sale, to be found on the internet... it's curious.

As one of the (fanatics) I can’t decide if I should be offended, or not. Is my evaluation of less value because Im one of the privileged few who built the 275 under the tutelage of the Master?

ray

Ray, I'm a Gibson guitar fanatic. I'm a Fender guitar fanatic. I'm Fender amplifier fanatic. I've played Chicago blues for 50 years and I'm a fanatic about that. Coming from my heart, with my traditional Outlook, referring to Bob's fan base is fanatics is a deep complement. You sir, have my respect and my appreciation.
    Frank
    FMalitz wrote: »
    Magnaryder wrote: »
    For the record: I am still looking for a third party 'review' -- a formal review with measurements would be nice, but a long-term assessment by a purchaser (ideally not one of that first 50 'fanatics') would be fine.

Pictures of the innards would be nice to see, too.

There is just so little chatter about these, two months after the sale, to be found on the internet... it's curious.

As one of the (fanatics) I can’t decide if I should be offended, or not. Is my evaluation of less value because Im one of the privileged few who built the 275 under the tutelage of the Master?

ray

Ray, I'm a Gibson guitar fanatic. I'm a Fender guitar fanatic. I'm Fender amplifier fanatic. I've played Chicago blues for 50 years and I'm a fanatic about that. Coming from my heart, with my traditional Outlook, referring to Bob's fan base is fanatics is a deep complement. You sir, have my respect and my appreciation.
    Frank

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Carver Research Lightstar.....words fail me
  • Frank, we actually met last year at Axpona. Sherry and I stopped by your room on several occasions hoping to listen to the amp before building it at CarverFest. It was SRO each time we came by. I hope to see you again this year, Jim mentioned you’ll be there with Jordan. Folks interested in listening to the amp will be able to do so there.

ray
    Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Carver Research Lightstar.....words fail me
  • tonyb
    Good info, I'll make sure I stop by to get an ear on it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    FMalitz wrote: »
    I sure get beat up a lot on this forum.

Not referencing this particular thread or the current debate, but sadly, it goes with the territory here.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    @oldrocker re: “FWIW, I love to go into the specifics but as stated earlier I made a promise to the manufacturer and I will keep my word.”

At this point, it might be very educational for us if you and the manufacturer would be willing to nullify that NDA. I think I, for one (hopefully there are more), could learn a lot from hearing that story. I totally understand if u don’t want to go there. Just thinking out loud here.

Also, as I read @FMalitz’s bit about Geoff Poor, I was sitting on a bus en route to work, at a stop light about 150 feet from Glen Poor’s Audio Video. It was right across a small parking lot.

I’m in the process of acquiring a pair of Odyssey monoblocks, so I’m not really in the market for another amp. But I might pop into GP’s over spring break and ask about an in home audition. I live, literally, less than 1/2 mile from them.

Honestly the only thing that’s stopping me is worry that they’ll dis my listening room set up or my LSiM-705’s. Maybe I should let go of that feeling?

s59zjrm6u27p.png
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    stretchl wrote: »

Honestly the only thing that’s stopping me is worry that they’ll dis my listening room set up or my LSiM-705’s. Maybe I should let go of that feeling?

The LSiM 703's are a Stereophile recommended bookshelf speaker. The 705 is a "step up" from that so I don't see why they'd thumb their noses at you. From what I heard, they don't seem to be that type of place. IF they are, that's their problem, not yours.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I think there is a general ignorance of the LSIM series in hifi shops, that product seems to be web based in success and not really anything a boutique dealer would carry. Just my Op.
    That was the general consensus I got when looking for amps for the 705's my last time around.