Any owner updates on Carver Crimson 275 stereo tube power amplifier for 2019?

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    We have an admin/moderator here?

Huh....go figure....
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Thank you Frank.

I see this amp is still a rare bird and will take time till somebody posts a review or opinions for the rest of us to read.

Looking forward to learning more on your and Bob's forward progress on the success of this Carver Crimson 275 tube amp.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Can you ask him to repeat that please. I got lost at about 4:09.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • While we were building the 275 Bob let me put the prototype in my rig. The first thing I noticed was how much the presentation differed from many of the other amplifiers I’ve owned. The soundstage was huge and you could almost walk between the musicians there was so much space.

I own a pair of the Carver 275s Bob was gracious enough to allow us to build in September at CarverFest and I have perhaps 350 hours (probably more) on the pair. I’ve been playing mostly HiRez files from my PC thru Schiit Yggdrasil/Welborne UltraPassPB/ Carver 275/modded Spatial M3s. My current tube configuration is Telefunken 6GM8S in the UltraPass, a Telefunken 12AX7 and IBM badged RCA 6211s in the front end of the 275 and vintage RCA 6550s power tubes.

My reference rig is an EAR Yoshino V20, Fosgate Signature phono pre, into the M3s. The V20 is a destination piece that I find to be VERY revealing. My new Carver 275s are exceptional amplifiers in that vein and like the V20 the textures(you’ll hear textures often) of the various instruments are brought out in bold relief. Attack and decay of drums and horns are truly amazing for an amplifier in this price range.

I have a copy of the Moody Blues ‘Live’ with the World Festival Orchestra that is a very nice recording. During ‘Haunted’ there are bells ringing, thru the 275 they ring behind my seating position. This from a 2 channel rig is really quite a feat. On my 24/192 copy of The Doobie Brothers ‘Southbound’ the Carver digs deep and resolves bass notes like you’d expect a great SS amp to do but with definition they don’t quite have. Voices of the likes of Alan Parson, Toby Keith, and Jennifer Warrens are clear, resolved, and have ‘air’ around them. The sound stages are wide and deep and the imaging is precise.

I won’t lie, I prefer tubes for most of the music I listen to and the Carver is no slouch. Man, you can almost taste the texture of notes.

This is a very capable amplifier, that can do everything I expect and does it at a bargain price. Jim Clark Stereo offers a money back guarantee if you feel like you might need it, you won’t.

On a side note, one of the 275 owners I know also owns the MAC 275, currently he prefers the Carver.

ray

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Carver Research Lightstar.....words fail me
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Thanks for your observations Ray, and welcome to Club Polk. I would love to see you hang around here with us.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    Thanks for your observations Ray, and welcome to Club Polk. I would love to see you hang around here with us.

Ray’s been here since 2008. Just not the most outspoken.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Like a post every 2-3 years. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Ray’s been here since 2008. Just not the most outspoken.

You sir, have mastered the fine art of the understatement.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Get an ear on the Carver 275, it’s worth the effort.

ray
    Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    For the record: I am still looking for a third party 'review' -- a formal review with measurements would be nice, but a long-term assessment by a purchaser (ideally not one of that first 50 'fanatics') would be fine.

Pictures of the innards would be nice to see, too.

There is just so little chatter about these, two months after the sale, to be found on the internet... it's curious.

As one of the (fanatics) I can’t decide if I should be offended, or not. Is my evaluation of less value because Im one of the privileged few who built the 275 under the tutelage of the Master?

ray

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
  • nooshinjohn
    Magnaryder wrote: »
    As one of the (fanatics) I can’t decide if I should be offended, or not. Is my evaluation of less value because Im one of the privileged few who built the 275 under the tutelage of the Master?

ray

Don't be offended.... you are one of the lucky ones, as I was, to be able to build an amp or two with Bob. Your opinions and insight into the build quality and the performance of these amps is both unique and important.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Ray's here? I'm offended.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited March 2019
    Get an ear on the Carver 275, it’s worth the effort.

ray

Thank you for that input. I noticed your running the Spatial M3's, which is the bigger brother to the M4's. Can you elaborate a bit on the Spatials as that is something that has caught my attention lately.

I'm particularly interested in how well they handle classic Rock.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Mr. Malitz says that a moderator contacted him? Curious, as the only moderator we had retired the day before Mr.Malitz posted his reply in the thread.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    halo wrote: »
    Mr. Malitz says that a moderator contacted him? Curious, as the only moderator we had retired the day before Mr.Malitz posted his reply in the thread.

There's always a moderator on forums like this, whether they are known to us or identified or not, they are here. Try posting something blatantly inappropriate and see how fast a mod shows up.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • F1nut
    mark090852 wrote: »

There's always a moderator on forums like this, whether they are known to us or identified or not, they are here. Try posting something blatantly inappropriate and see how fast a mod shows up.

Wrong

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2019
    mark090852 wrote: »

OK...

SOMETHING BLATENTLY INAPPROPRIATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tap...tap...tap...

:p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    Anyone have a picture of Russ and that goat?

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

I don't need to see that. Won't be checking this thread anymore. ;)
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited March 2019
    wrong thread
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874

shhh!

Think of the kids.

B)
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Bo0bs!

https://youtu.be/hKF8YxWWhI4
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Since you ran Frank off I thought I’d stop by to see what I can do about you Jesse.🤣id like to buy a vowel please. How are you doing, it’s been a while? Eddie says hey

ray

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
  • tonyb wrote: »

ray

Thank you for that input. I noticed your running the Spatial M3's, which is the bigger brother to the M4's. Can you elaborate a bit on the Spatials as that is something that has caught my attention lately.

They do a great job on the stuff I usually play. Anything from 60s Beatles, Stones and the like to ELP, Floyd, Hendrix, VH, Eagles all sound pretty damn good. They do justice to The Chairman, Miles, all the GRP CDs too. Even my classical Telarc discs. My room is a little closed in so I’ve modded the crossovers with Mundorf SGOs to add a bit of depth. I’m really happy with them. Look on Clayton’s Facebook page, you’ll find a pic of Bob Carver digging them on my EAR at TheFest a couple of years ago. Bob says they play WAAY above their price point.

ray

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
  • nooshinjohn
    edited March 2019
    Wow Ray... doubled your post count in just a day. You will be able to sell stuff in the flea market in no time! :p

• F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »
    Since you ran Frank off I thought I’d stop by to see what I can do about you Jesse.🤣id like to buy a vowel please. How are you doing, it’s been a while? Eddie says hey

ray

No problem, plenty of vowels to go 'round.

Hi Eddie B)

President of Club Polk

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    Some of the logic on this thread is simply bull hockey. I guess my opinion wouldn't matter either on this amp just because I know Bob and I am biased?

Whatever man.

I am a fan of Bob's but I have trashed/criticized his gear in front of him, online, with friends and in reviews. I have also given praise where deserved. I could say more about this but I am not going to waste my time. It's not worth the effort.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    tonyb wrote: »

ray

They do a great job on the stuff I usually play. Anything from 60s Beatles, Stones and the like to ELP, Floyd, Hendrix, VH, Eagles all sound pretty damn good. They do justice to The Chairman, Miles, all the GRP CDs too. Even my classical Telarc discs. My room is a little closed in so I’ve modded the crossovers with Mundorf SGOs to add a bit of depth. I’m really happy with them. Look on Clayton’s Facebook page, you’ll find a pic of Bob Carver digging them on my EAR at TheFest a couple of years ago. Bob says they play WAAY above their price point.

ray

Thanks Ray, something to consider down the road. Seems you like that pairing of the Spatials and the Carver, both nice pieces in their own right. I may have to get my rear end over to Rockford for a listen since they aren't too far for me, for the Carver anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable