Any owner updates on Carver Crimson 275 stereo tube power amplifier for 2019?

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    stretchl wrote: »
    @oldrocker re: “FWIW, I love to go into the specifics but as stated earlier I made a promise to the manufacturer and I will keep my word.”

At this point, it might be very educational for us if you and the manufacturer would be willing to nullify that NDA. I think I, for one (hopefully there are more), could learn a lot from hearing that story. I totally understand if u don’t want to go there. Just thinking out loud here.

Also, as I read @FMalitz’s bit about Geoff Poor, I was sitting on a bus en route to work, at a stop light about 150 feet from Glen Poor’s Audio Video. It was right across a small parking lot.

I’m in the process of acquiring a pair of Odyssey monoblocks, so I’m not really in the market for another amp. But I might pop into GP’s over spring break and ask about an in home audition. I live, literally, less than 1/2 mile from them.

Honestly the only thing that’s stopping me is worry that they’ll dis my listening room set up or my LSiM-705’s. Maybe I should let go of that feeling?

s59zjrm6u27p.png

I'd assume Jeff does in home auditions as when I used to call there, sometimes he would be out doing installs and whatnots. He always called me back.

They do have a nice separate listening area you can use, be sure to take some cd's with you. He was very open minded to switch in out various speakers.

When I was there, he put on some music, handed me the remote, left the room closing the door and said "enjoy".

I never had an issue with Jeff, he's a nice guy.

I have no doubt in my mind Jeff will NOT dis your listening area if he does do in home auditions.

• stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Thanks, guys. :)
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Also, as I read @FMalitz’s bit about Geoff Poor, I was sitting on a bus en route to work, at a stop light about 150 feet from Glen Poor’s Audio Video. It was right across a small parking lot.

I really need to thank you for doing your part to help in the fight against global warming by taking the bus. If everyone did that, or perhaps used one of those new scooters, we might be able to make a difference.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874

I really need to thank you for doing your part to help in the fight against global warming by taking the bus. If everyone did that, or perhaps used one of those new scooters, we might be able to make a difference.

You forgot electric vehicles.
    You're welcome.

B)
  • mhardy6647
    On a slightly more serious note -- I did my part by retiring. Much less carbon emission from me.
  • nooshinjohn
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You're welcome.

B)

I didn't forget them... They are not as green as we have been led to believe, and that is why I left them out. Ideally, we should all have jobs within walking or bicycle distance from home anyway.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
  • stretchl
    edited March 2019
    Well, thank you for that, but the fact is that it costs me a dollar an hour to park at school, the bus is free with a university ID, I can keep up with you crazy cats by reading the forum while I ride and my office is only 2 miles from my house, so it's not 100% due to the goal of minimizing my carbon footprint. :)

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You're welcome.

B)

I didn't forget them... They are not as green as we have been led to believe, and that is why I left them out. Ideally, we should all have jobs within walking or bicycle distance from home anyway.
    I for one like to drive, I mean I really like to drive. I like big engines that burn non-renewable at an alarming rate. Huge carburetors that while filling you can watch the gas gauge drop like a stone. Yeah, that’s a car. Smoke fat tires for a couple of blocks.

And I like the small town I live in, I don’t like the place I work.

ray

Sorry that’s not got anything to do with audio except a hot car needs an earth shaking stereo too!

Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Carver Research Lightstar.....words fail me
  • Bob would recommend finding a CD player with a tubed output stage, but likely not something in the ultra high-end because as an engineer and physicist, he would not see a need for something that simply reads one's and zero's

That’s not quite the case. Bob has spent many hours listening to my rig. I don’t take a CD player to TheFest, I take a computer and play HiRez files thru my Schiit Yggdrasil. He knows and appreciates the sonic differences that competent gear brings to the table.

ray
    Ray Campbell
    Bucyrus, Ohio
    Carver Research Lightstar.....words fail me
  • nooshinjohn
    Have you seen Bobs cdp? :p

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    No one has.

It is non existent.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,189
    Ray did have a rather nice LP player there that year....TBT

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Magnaryder wrote: »
    You're welcome.

B)

I for one like to drive, I mean I really like to drive. I like big engines that burn non-renewable at an alarming rate. Huge carburetors that while filling you can watch the gas gauge drop like a stone. Yeah, that’s a car. Smoke fat tires for a couple of blocks.

ray

Sorry that’s not got anything to do with audio except a hot car needs an earth shaking stereo too!

Cool man, an old world dual Holly double pumpers sittin' up on a high rise manifold kinda guy......I dig it.

Though that gas gauge moves like a bottle of Coke with a fat kid and a straw at the end. :) The hay day of American muscle cars, some of the best memories one can have.

Back on topic.....

Here's my only concern with the 275. Seems Bob has put some proprietary design into it, should something go south, who would you send it to to get worked on ? You couldn't take it to a local shop, or am I wrong on that ?

I'm aware of one carver authorized place, but are they also authorized for repairs on the 275 ? Not asking to bust anyones chops, just want to know for myself because these things register in part for some peoples buying decisions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    Magnaryder wrote: »
    You're welcome.

B)

ray

Cool man, an old world dual Holly double pumpers sittin' up on a high rise manifold kinda guy......I dig it.

Though that gas gauge moves like a bottle of Coke with a fat kid and a straw at the end. :) The hay day of American muscle cars, some of the best memories one can have.

Back on topic.....

Here's my only concern with the 275. Seems Bob has put some proprietary design into it, should something go south, who would you send it to to get worked on ? You couldn't take it to a local shop, or am I wrong on that ?

I'm aware of one carver authorized place, but are they also authorized for repairs on the 275 ? Not asking to bust anyones chops, just want to know for myself because these things register in part for some peoples buying decisions.

The only likely proprietary design component that would be challenging in terms of service would be the output transformers. The OPTs are clearly proprietary, as no normal PP OPT could handle 75 watts continuous output from 20 to 20 kHz and be as small and light as the OPTs in this amplifier.

In the case of an OPT failure -- if one OPT bought the farm, the other one could be 'retro-engineered' (turns ratios, etc.) and a good custom winder (and, fortunately, there are still several) could probably make one. Making a good transformer is an art, but it's not magic.

In the case of custom wound replacement OPTs, the best practice would probably be to replace both, since a custom version wouldn't be identical to the OEM part. In other words, an OEM replacement OPT would be the path of (heh) least resistance. If both OPTs somehow were to die, the amp might be destined to be a doorstop if no OEM replacements could be sourced (and no documentation of the OPTs were available).

Any other parts in the amp should be pretty plain vanilla -- unless, of course, it happens to have any odd solid state components (ICs) involved in its circuitry. I think that unlikely, but not impossible. Likely the only ss parts employed in it are rectifiers and maybe regulators... but who knows?

Proprietary circuit design won't handicap a good troubleshooter unless key stuff is potted in epoxy or something like that. :/

All this being said...
    Of course, the amplifier is being touted as essentially failure-proof for decades, so it may be a moot point :#

• stretchl
    Re: “custom winders” - Where could one look to find these folks? Could be an interesting story - “A Dying Breed...” something like that.
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Speaking of output transformer tricks :)

I should mention that the trick of using small, light, cheap OPTs isn't a new one -- although it may be less common in PP amps.

In the late 1990s, Dan Schmalle ("Doc Bottlehead") famously unearthed the old (1930s!) "parallel feed" topology in some of their single-ended amplifiers as a way to get around the need for a single-ended OPT to be big (expensive!) enough to handle the DC plate voltage (and current) that flows through the primary in a normal SE OPT.

Parallel feed uses a capacitor and a choke to shunt the plate DC voltage around the OPT.
    Single-ended 2A3 is only good for about 3.5 watts at "hifi" distortion levels, so you can see that, if the plate DC doesn't have to go through it, a decent SE OPT for a 2A3 amp could be pretty small (i.e., cheap).

In their "Paramour" SE 2A3 monoblocks, Bottlhead cleverly used a cheap ($4 or so) PA "line level matching" transformer wired backwards as the OPT. The bandwidth, of course, is a little limited (especially low frequency extension) relative to a multi-hundred dollar "good" SE OPT, but the net result is delightfully musical with high-sensitivity loudspeakers. Trust me on this :)

35012452392_ae479f19ec_h.jpgDSC_8376 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

OPTs are in the front, PTs in the center, and "parafeed" chokes in the rear in the photo above.
  • tonyb
    Mark, I'd imagine having something custom wound would cost some good coin. Which is probably the reason you don't see many doing it. F1nut posted a while back about a Pakistan company that made their own custom transformers, and those pieces where in the tens of thousands.

Bob has some sort of proprietary design with the tubes, so I'm hearing, that they actually repair themselves so as to last longer. I'd imagine only someone familiar with that circuit would be able to repair it.

It's one thing to say anything can be reverse engineered, but the cost and finding someone willing to do it would negate actually doing it. In other words, tell me how if something goes south on these, that it won't become a very pretty door stop in the garage.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Mark, I'd imagine having something custom wound would cost some good coin. Which is probably the reason you don't see many doing it. F1nut posted a while back about a Pakistan company that made their own custom transformers, and those pieces where in the tens of thousands.

Bob has some sort of proprietary design with the tubes, so I'm hearing, that they actually repair themselves so as to last longer. I'd imagine only someone familiar with that circuit would be able to repair it.

It's one thing to say anything can be reverse engineered, but the cost and finding someone willing to do it would negate actually doing it. In other words, tell me how if something goes south on these, that it won't become a very pretty door stop in the garage.

Typically Heyboer or EP or Magnequest will do a custom transformer to spec for a few hundred dollars. Pricey ones involve esoteric materials and it's safe to assume that the OPTs in this inexpensive amp aren't particularly pricey at fairly low count numbers (dozens of individual OPTs).

Per the Carver marketing literature available to us now, they use some old TV technology (DC restoration circuit) in the amp. .. the 'self repair' may refer to something like the old CRT TV 'boosters' which could rejuvenate the filament. Not sure about repairing shorts.

There's no black magic inside, I can pretty much guarantee that -- do not underestimate the skills of a good troubleshooter. I think you read way more into the ad copy than what really lies beneath it.. the only way to know for sure is to get a look under her skirts and do some measurin'. E.g., determining the actual operating point of the output tubes should be very straightforward.

The less one knows about the guts, the easier it is to be bamboozled.

Now, just to be very clear -- I am talking only about the guts; the nuts and bolts.
    Obviously, I have no way to know how this amp sounds, and whether at that benchmark it represents great value or not.

We also can't have any idea how well they'll hold up "in the field", claims of calculated longevity notwithstanding. Only time and end-user experience will give us data on that.

Needless to say -- I would love to hear one, but I'd have a screwdriver with me if and when I did. B)

I came very close to pulling the trigger in December, but various comments on the amp (many direct from its manufacturer or dealers) set my spidey senses to tingling, so I didn't.
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Re: “custom winders” - Where could one look to find these folks? Could be an interesting story - “A Dying Breed...” something like that.

The ones I've had experience with:

https://www.heyboertransformers.com/
    Heyboer did the original transformers (in the 1950s!) for my EICO HF-81; I had them do a spare power transformer for me (a known weak spot in many of the old EICOs; they were a little too small for the demands placed on them and ran HOT) with a little more substance to 'em (i.e., to run cooler) as a spare. Cost about $100, albeit probably a decade ago.

Magnequest does excellent iron:
    https://www.facebook.com/MagneQuest-121507687917410/
    Bottlehead historically would have MQ do their higher-end iron, although I don't think that's routinely the case any more.

ElectraPrint is also very good. I've have EP SE OPTs for my 46 amp that I've still not built :p
    https://www.electra-print.com/

I reckon Dave Slagle could make pretty much anything anyone would dream up (although he tends towards less traditional uses of inductors and other ironic components :) )--- he's a notch higher-end, though (but he's also a great guy and very talented).
    http://www.intactaudio.com/

There are doubtless a whole host of Asian winders too, but I know nothing about them and I have zero actual experience with them.

Also, I don't know if vendors like One Electron and Edcor will do custom iron.

HTH.
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, speaking of Dave Slagle...

If you haven't seen his hifi blog, well... you might want to take a look some time.
    This is my kind of (aspirational) stuff.

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,552
    Good info, I'll make sure I stop by to get an ear on it.

I'll join you! That is if you'll allow me to. Didn't mean to be presumptuous...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • tonyb
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Good info, I'll make sure I stop by to get an ear on it.

I'll join you! That is if you'll allow me to. Didn't mean to be presumptuous...

Absolutely bro, though your going to have to keep an eye on Ivan. Keeping track of that dude makes my head spin. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • stretchl
    Thanks @mhardy6647
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,147
    In regards to transformer service - I had 2 transformers from a Fisher X-100 rewound by a guy in Hollister CA a few months ago. Charged $100 each. Turn around was less than 2 weeks. Repainted them as well. They looked great and the 50 plus year old Fisher is back singing again. FWIW
  • tonyb
    Faustin wrote: »
    In regards to transformer service - I had 2 transformers from a Fisher X-100 rewound by a guy in Hollister CA a few months ago. Charged $100 each. Turn around was less than 2 weeks. Repainted them as well. They looked great and the 50 plus year old Fisher is back singing again. FWIW

that's a deal. You might want to post up that mans info if he's ok with it. That's a service many vintage guys could want.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,147
    "that's a deal. You might want to post up that mans info if he's ok with it. That's a service many vintage guys could want."

I actually found him on Fleabay. His seller name is transcendar.

• trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    4pmtkmsttv0m.jpeg
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • mhardy6647
    ... and? :)

In all seriousness -- Looks good.
  • nooshinjohn
    That’s purdy.....