Impressions of Tidal

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    DSkip wrote: »
    The differences I notice are more dynamics and little more ease to the music. It’s very slight but enough to recognize. I simply don’t spin cds anymore though.

Maybe the bluesound is the limiter

But in my room, the emm transport beats out the bluesound through tidal both going into emm dac.

Enough of a difference that through an iPhone video it can be discerned which is which
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I have a really nice laptop with no cooling fans (an "Ultrabook" if you will) and SSDs

Trying to not sound like an idiot here but what is an SSD? AND WTF is the deal with all the quadruple posts of the exact same thing???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    audioluvr wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I have a really nice laptop with no cooling fans (an "Ultrabook" if you will) and SSDs

Trying to not sound like an idiot here but what is an SSD?

SSD = Solid State Drive

Solid state drives use flash memory chips instead of traditional magnetic spinning platters to store data.
    They have a life span of multiples greater than a traditional hard drive, they have no moving parts and they are getting closer to traditional hard drives in the $ per GB pricing category (although they are still more expensive comparatively).

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Less noise floor also.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Joey_V wrote: »

But in my room, the emm transport beats out the bluesound through tidal both going into emm dac.

Enough of a difference that through an iPhone video it can be discerned which is which

Just to be clear, I'm comparing HDD music to a CD player. I find tidal to be a bit soft around the edges (subtle, but noticeable), and I'd pick a CDP over Tidal, but not over flacs delivered via a hard drive.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Joey_V
    steveinaz wrote: »

Just to be clear, I'm comparing HDD music to a CD player. I find tidal to be a bit soft around the edges (subtle, but noticeable), and I'd pick a CDP over Tidal, but not over flacs delivered via a hard drive.

Definitely I can tell it is soft around the edges. Which is not to say it's a bad sound.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited February 2019
    That^ is exactly what I heard when auditioning the BS vs the CXN. We A/B tested directly with the node 2 and the Cambridge and the latter was more full and dynamic. I was lucky to have a dealer that carried both.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Important to note that BS is now on their 3rd version (2i) of the Node.

Now I am prolly going to upgrade from the Node 2 possibly to the Lumin u1 mini.

But here is some feedback from other users as well.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48820
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    There' s never going to be an appropriate time to add this, so I'm just going to do it now.
    Every time I see the title of this thread, I think of Visions of Johanna.

B)

https://youtu.be/nuTpTzYiR1w
  • Joey_V
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that for my use, I'm too cheap to buy an aurender so the used bluesound node 2 that i got for $200 off audioaficionado is good enough.

I'm sure there is better.

One of the members in our DFW Audiophile club has the Aurender w20, that's $17,000 for a streamer.... so I know it gets good.

I'm just at a point where the system is so good and enjoyable, I don't stress about the final %-ages of improvement.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    sotm-tx-usbexp-large_1024x1024.jpg?v=1527284813

@msg this up your alley
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Dayng! Nice.
    I think Rich @SCompRacer may be using this or an earlier version.

When I set up my first USB DAC for continuous use with the home office PC, I had all kinds of clearly audible noise and other weird USB device interaction, like weird mouse and keyboard behavior with audio playing. You don't have to listen or look hard for it either. It was obvious.

I noticed an immediate and huge improvement simply going with a dedicated USB 2.0 card to isolate the DAC from the rest of the USB devices. It really does work. I can only imagine what the SOtM tX-USBexp is like. Beautiful little piece of tech there.

Which Power Supply are you using with it @fastz28 ?

I'd love to build something completely dedicated with a card like this in it.

Incidentally, this little near field system I built in the home office with the computer connected DAC was the first time I began to experience more profoundly some audio refinements, like imaging and player location.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Do they have a family version like Spotify? I'll take a look.
  • Joey_V
    DSkip wrote: »
    You don't have to spend $17,000 to move up. I was actually turned off by Aurender because they use hard drive disks in their streamers. I know its not 'in the music chain' but it still bothered me enough to look elsewhere. I haven't had a chance to get my ears on them yet.

Understood.

But what I’m saying is if all I’m doing is streaming tidal rather than burned flac files of my music, then there’s a lot more limiting factors than the bluesound running coax into the emm labs dac2x.

If I were streaming my entire flac collection, then that’s a different story.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Oh, power from the same guys, nice. That makes sense.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I am using a bluesound node 2.

In my opinion you owe it to yourself and the rest of your system to upgrade to a better streamer. The measurements on the Bluesound are mediocre:

pc0l5fgh754j.png

"Bluesound specs the unit at 0.005% and measurements are actually better in both channels. Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. The SINAD lands in out lowest quarter as far as DACs/streamers tested"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

For the price I think it is adequate

Not my reference playback for digital anyway

What would you recommend for similar cost?
    The same fellow tested the MiniDSP SHD DAC audio processor / streamer. Its seemed to measure pretty well. $899 - $1199 price range. Its an interesting looking unit for sure with the added Dirac room correction.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-minidsp-shd-dac-dsp-and-streamer.4286/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-series#network-audio

shd-series-header-600.png
    minidspDiracVolumio_SHD.png

minidsp-shd-audio-processor-streamer-png.15063
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    WLDock wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I am using a bluesound node 2.

In my opinion you owe it to yourself and the rest of your system to upgrade to a better streamer. The measurements on the Bluesound are mediocre:

pc0l5fgh754j.png

"Bluesound specs the unit at 0.005% and measurements are actually better in both channels. Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot. The SINAD lands in out lowest quarter as far as DACs/streamers tested"

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-bluesound-node-2i-streamer.6631/

For the price I think it is adequate

Not my reference playback for digital anyway

What would you recommend for similar cost?
    The same fellow tested the MiniDSP SHD DAC audio processor / streamer. Its seemed to measure pretty well. $899 - $1199 price range. Its an interesting looking unit for sure with the added Dirac room correction.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-minidsp-shd-dac-dsp-and-streamer.4286/

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-series#network-audio

shd-series-header-600.png
    minidspDiracVolumio_SHD.png

minidsp-shd-audio-processor-streamer-png.15063

That streams Tidal?
  • K_M wrote: »
    Ive tried Spotify and Tidal and thought they both sounded better than the actual CD....at times.
    ....Other times, not sure, and also at times, maybe a very slight softening of the sound, but never did a truly in depth comparison.

I guess overall, easily good enough to not leave any bad impressions.

I've used and am using both currently, Spotify for about 3 years or so. It took me a while to try out Tidal and even more important have something that can show me the difference. To me at least there is a discernable difference in Tidal's favor BUT it could have just been what my system needed in terms of Soundstage expansion. That and the slight softening you mentioned were the most noticeable changes. I had same feelings with CDs, I chaulk it up to the version of the CD was a bad digital file or an already compressed file uncompressed in a bad way.

Could I live with Spotify... Yeah but man I like the other side. :D
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Willow wrote: »
    Do they have a family version like Spotify? I'll take a look.

Yep Tidal has family accounts.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • audioluvr
    Has anyone A/B'd the difference between Tidals HiFi and Premium service? Just wondering if it's worth the extra ten bucks a month.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Joey_V
    I’ll try it when my new preamp comes
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Has anyone A/B'd the difference between Tidals HiFi and Premium service? Just wondering if it's worth the extra ten bucks a month.

• audioluvr wrote: »

In my experience it isn’t THAT far off. Not as resolving but still good sounding, better than Spotify. I say this but have the Hifi option, I’ve been skating by on promotions after I cancelled. 3 months for $2!

• audioluvr
    I’ve been skating by on promotions after I cancelled. 3 months for $2!

OOO! Sweet deal there! Not a bad idea.
    I’ll try it when my new preamp comes

Thanks Joey. Can you do this on a crappy (to you) pre? Your stuff is WAY nicer than mine.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• steveinaz
    Well, $20 won't buy you 2 CD's a month, so....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Well, $20 won't buy you 2 CD's a month, so....

It will of you buy used or look for the amazon deals $10 or less, of which there are a ton. But even if you find three a month for $20, if will take you decades to build a library anywhere near the size of tidal...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited February 2019
    That streams Tidal?
    Yeah man, Its on topic and on point! Don't listen to me, check out the pages I linked. I'm have a paid Spotify subscription but I'm about to try Tidal myself.

https://www.minidsp.com/aboutus/newsletter/listid-1/mailid-69-minidsp-q4-2018-newsletter
    miniDSP wrote:
    SHD SERIES UPDATE
    We are very happy to report that the popular Qobuz and Tidal music streaming have been added to the SHD Series. These additions further solidify this series as a great fit for any modern audio system.

Existing customers can easily upgrade with the Over The Air (OTA) upgrade process from the Volumio web GUI. Go to the system settings page and click on "Check Updates". Done!

Both SHD and SHD Studio products are in stock. A great Christmas gift to fit under the tree! :-)

shd_series_streamer.png

SHD Series Manual: https://www.minidsp.com/images/documents/SHD Series User Manual.pdf

I JUST DISCOVERED THIS, CHECK THIS OUT!

VOLUMIO is the interface, platform that its build off of. As I understand it, they are a software company that offers computer add ons, etc. Now, they just released their first complete streaming unit, the Primo model from overseas is just $409.99 at their USA store!!!

https://volumio.org/
    https://www.volumiousa.com/volumio-primo/

https://volumio.org/volumio-primo-first-product-on-sale/

screenshot_2018-11-24_at_12.45.58_pm.png
    screenshot_2018-11-24_at_12.43.31_pm.png
    https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=174320

https://darko.audio/2018/11/volumio-goes-primo/

https://www.facebook.com/volumio/

https://youtu.be/5jn1SWfK1VI

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Mikey081057
    I have a new streamer on the way.... B)B)B)

• steveinaz
    That Volumio Primo looks very cool.