Mogami Bulk Speaker Cable?

Any of you guys ever tried any of the Mogami Speaker Cable?

I'm kicking around the idea of setting up the two side/rear channels for 5.1, and looking for some bulk cable. I've enjoyed the Furez cable that Doug offers, and am still interested in other types.

I'll say that Canare doesn't seem to gel very well with me. I found that cable to sound a bit thin to me, and a bit too bright, so cable with those sorts of characteristics I'd prefer to skip. (not the same as a Dskip)

I see mention of Mogami from time to time, so, thought I'd look into it some.
There's a bunch more info at these links with specs on capacitance, inductance, and a bunch of other stuff I don't know anything about.

CONVENTIONAL - http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/conventional_configuration/
jwpgqzkhwwmr.png

COAX OPTION - http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/pure_sound/
te23qtxd3pts.png

I disabled signatures.

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Mogami is highly regarded in pro audio and studio application
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Thanks Trey, interesting.
    I, possibly mistakenly, have grown to associate pro audio with "not necessarily good sound for home 2ch". I think that probably comes from what I've read around here about the pro class amps and such. Is the studio side regard something to assign some weight to, or is studio use more about accuracy and not necessarily what 2ch/hifi enthusiasts would consider "good sound"?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    edited December 2018
    Studio is more shielding and clean delivery, flat, unforgiving. May not be a bad thing depending on goals.

I used mogami in my computer system for about 5 years for signal wire... Good stuff.

I'm not sure I would buy them over dh labs, supra, audioquest in the home audio space unless it was a really good deal (less than 2 bucks a foot)

Check out supra for bulk wire, also belkin
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • msg
    Alright, good info, thanks!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Plenty of extremely high quality pro/studio/sound reinforcement (and even PA) stuff.
    Danley comes to mind, e.g.
    https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/
    Plus, Tom Danley is an active, enthusiastic, helpful and attitude free member of audioasylum who's happy to help folks with cogent and accurate information rather than pontification. Not that I can afford nor rationalize purchase of any of their products -- wish I could.

FWIW, I am on the cusp of fabricating some Mogami loudspeaker cables (just for fun -- one cannot beat empiricism, as far as I am concerned), and already bought some shielded Mogami cabling to make up some RCA terminated (unbalanced) cables. Moving at my usual glacial pace on that latter project :/

• msg
    Good info and a laugh, thanks Doc :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Mogami 3103 is 2 bucks/ft. (unterminated) on USAudioMart
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Just give it a try Scott. Paul yep2/pepster spoke highly of it...(mogami)
    Not that that really means anything in the grand scheme of life B)B)

Personally I can't see you needing shielded wire.
  • msg
    Oh yeah, that's right - I think I happened across a few of his cable builds. The ones I saw looked like pro build, iirc. Thanks Ivan.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    msg wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's right - I think I happened across a few of his cable builds. The ones I saw looked like pro build, iirc. Thanks Ivan.

For interconnects yes he used shielded cable.
  • msg
    edited January 2019
    @Dr_Wu :: thanks for the heads up on the Mogami w3103 on USAM.

I was in contact with the seller last week and ordered a length to whip up some cables. Cool dude, and this is leftover stock from his HT build.

He's also sending me some of the coax w3082 to try.

Should probably get some fun colored TechFlex from FurryLetters on Ebay to spruce it up!

I disabled signatures.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    FWIW....there is a ton of different Mogami numbers. They make a great product, but it you select a wrong product for the use you put in in, then it may not be satisfactory.

For instance...if you select a really neat small diameter, low capacitance, low noise cable and make interconnects out of it, then it may not last used as a mic cable. Inversely, balanced quad Mogami W2534 is great for balance line uses...but wouldn't be what you're after for TT connection.

I'm primarily running balanced for my main system, so I haven't look hard for what I'd pick from Mogami for unbalanced, but here is some I have used and liked for various applications. 2549 for balanced interconnect. In chassis mini cable use, 2697. Speaker, a 3103. A mini coax, a 2444.

Parts Express at last look was selling 2534 at 1.55 @ foot.

Markertek is decent for pricing and seeing quick info on different numbers.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    I use Mogami Cables in my Guitar rig
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    edited January 2019
    Hey Dan, yeah, first I ever heard of Mogami it was a soldering tutorial I was watching from TubeDepot where the guy was making a new guitar cable.

The cable arrived today, so I'm gonna make up some quick connections and see how it goes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    I'm using 2534 for all my ic's and 3103 for sc's. Pretty happy with it so far. :smile:
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I've used 2534 for many things including speaker cable for low wattage tube amps. Love the sound. I've also used the two conductor (has one step up in AWG but otherwise same) in some amps and in one case of interconnects. It makes great headphone cable as well.

I've used 3103 and 3082 for speaker cables - both good. Will be doing a cable battle when the new speakers arrive for the tube amp.

They are a good cable, well made and economical when compared to some of the competition.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    I use the 2 conductor 2549 w/Neutrik Rean connectors for my ICs. 14awg, 1m lengths. All I can say is they were a definite improvement over basic RCAs.

How are the 3103 speaker cables working out for you, @msg?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Hey, Scott, if you like them, share the wealth, ya know what I mean? :)
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    I just bought some Mogami 3103 for some DIY speaker cables. For the price I thought I would give it a try.
  • msg
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    How are the 3103 speaker cables working out for you, @msg?
    Looks like my earlier post/response got wiped. My fault, I did have a funny video link hidden in a spoiler.

I was saying I haven't quite gotten around to getting them set up yet. Looking forward to hearing them, though. I didn't realize the 3103 were so popular. Good bit of feedback here on Mogami.

I disabled signatures.
  • Faustin
    Hey there msg. Did you put together some cables yet with the 3103 wire? Also, you mentioned getting some TechFlex to spruce them up. Curious, does it make sense to remove the outside rubber shielding on the 3103 cable and just use TechFlex to cover the wires?? I can see where the heavy covering would make sense if it was used in an application where it is being moved around or pulled around alot, like a band touring, to keep the wires protected. But in a home stereo setup it really doesn't get touched. And it would make it much lighter and perhaps easier to move around, coil up etc. Getting ready to work on my cables and I am looking for some thoughts and ideas.
  • pitdogg2
    Faustin wrote: »
    Hey there msg. Did you put together some cables yet with the 3103 wire? Also, you mentioned getting some TechFlex to spruce them up. Curious, does it make sense to remove the outside rubber shielding on the 3103 cable and just use TechFlex to cover the wires?? I can see where the heavy covering would make sense if it was used in an application where it is being moved around or pulled around alot, like a band touring, to keep the wires protected. But in a home stereo setup it really doesn't get touched. And it would make it much lighter and perhaps easier to move around, coil up etc. Getting ready to work on my cables and I am looking for some thoughts and ideas.

Well there should be a twist with a separator cord going on inside of the jacket. That twist rejects some interference and keeps the cables apart. Removing the jacket if you can keep the twist fine, IF not it can pick up some 60hz hum from power cords or other interference.
  • msg
    edited January 2019
    Hey dude, I did finally get the 3103s together after some serious - and I mean serious - haranguing from @ALL212 Although, it may have been more along the lines of just plain hassle, or, in the California vernacular - "coaching" or "positive input".

I could really go for a corn dog right now, btw.

Right, back to the Mogami.
    Nice cable. I like it so far. Easy to work with. Neat geometry with its separate sub-bundles of wire inside the insulation of each conductor. Seems like the exposed conductors wouldn't twist well being made like this (think, trying to twist Monster), but it does twist nicely which makes it easy to terminate in dual screw-down connectors.

I terminated with some of Doug's Furez silver-plated copper bananas, which I like with the elastomer inserts, but was a quick (<< that was a lie. there was nothing quick about this) long and dirty build just to get them in place. Still took me the better part of a week+ to finally get around to dragging out the tools and... sigh. I got tired just writing all that. It really doesn't take that much, but I tend ot over-prepare an plan because I don't like to be interrupted once I start. That means you have to wear diapers, too, and they're a pain to get lined up so they don't bunch.

Right. Techflex. I've not yet installed it, but do plan to.
    Ivan nailed it above - there are two separator cords throughout the jacket that help take up the space between the conductors and help to maintain the cable twist. It's almost like four conductors the way it's oriented. And as Ivan says, yes, this is my understanding as well - with no shielding, the conductor twist is what helps reject the noise and interference.

So, that would be my concern, that if the jacket were removed, you may lose part of the geometry and end up drawing in noise, which is exactly what Ivan notes there.

They're really not too burly, and while they're not like a wet noodle, I wouldn't call them unrule-ily stiff. I didn't really get a chance to shoot any photos during this prelim build, but I think once you get them placed, they'll stay, and wouldn't be too bulky.

I suppose you could try to remove the jacket and separators and keep the twist with some Techflex on top. Might be interesting to try, but if it doesn't work out very well, you'll be selling like 30 sets of Mogami jumper wires, I guess? B)

What do you think? Do you have some specific concerns for bulk and flexibility, or more just trying to keep the cable appearance thin, low-pro, light, and inconspicuous?
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Huggies or Pampers, Scott?
  • Faustin
    Thanks for the input/suggestions. I will keep the outer jacket in place and just remove some at the ends to terminate. Waiting on some crimp connecrors for the ends so the set screw spades will attach nicely. Probably be here for a weekend project.
  • pitdogg2
    Thanks for the input/suggestions. I will keep the outer jacket in place and just remove some at the ends to terminate. Waiting on some crimp connecrors for the ends so the set screw spades will attach nicely. Probably be here for a weekend project.

Yep I like to use crimp tubes now as well. They can make a real solid connection inside a banana.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    Does Scott always turn a 5 minute project into a week long ordeal? FFS... it was like watching someone load windows office from floppy disks.

;)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    msg wrote: »
    Hey Dan, yeah, first I ever heard of Mogami it was a soldering tutorial I was watching from TubeDepot where the guy was making a new guitar cable.

The cable arrived today, so I'm gonna make up some quick connections and see how it goes.
    I've used several different brand Guitar cables, pedal cables etc and I think the Mogami is the quietest I've ever used. Noise is a huge issue with Guitar rigs and the less the better like anything else. They make excellent cables and I basically only use their stuff now. BUT in my Pedal board I did try out a full built it yourself Boss Pedal Board Kit which is also high quality and very quiet. I like them as well. I had Planet waves before that and their stuff was good but in certain cases hit of miss.
    Building the solder less cables you have to be a perfectionist like me to achieve the higher quality connection. If you rush just once you'll end up with a hum or a non working cable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • msg
    Speaking of building solderless cables - what are you guys perspectives on the wire twist at the end before going into the connector?

Do you twist it up tightly, or do you twist it just enough to fit, while trying to maintain the wire geometry?

With the Mogami 3103, I did sort of a happy medium. Didn't twist them too tightly, trying not to disturb the geometry, but also tried to twist just enough that the set screws would still squash the wire, as opposed to splitting/parting it.
    I disabled signatures.