Mogami Bulk Speaker Cable?

Any of you guys ever tried any of the Mogami Speaker Cable?

I'm kicking around the idea of setting up the two side/rear channels for 5.1, and looking for some bulk cable. I've enjoyed the Furez cable that Doug offers, and am still interested in other types.

I'll say that Canare doesn't seem to gel very well with me. I found that cable to sound a bit thin to me, and a bit too bright, so cable with those sorts of characteristics I'd prefer to skip. (not the same as a Dskip)

I see mention of Mogami from time to time, so, thought I'd look into it some.
There's a bunch more info at these links with specs on capacitance, inductance, and a bunch of other stuff I don't know anything about.

CONVENTIONAL - http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/conventional_configuration/
jwpgqzkhwwmr.png

COAX OPTION - http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/speaker_cable/pure_sound/
te23qtxd3pts.png

I disabled signatures.

Comments

• VR3VR3 Posts: 22,489
    Mogami is highly regarded in pro audio and studio application
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,377
    Thanks Trey, interesting.
    I, possibly mistakenly, have grown to associate pro audio with "not necessarily good sound for home 2ch". I think that probably comes from what I've read around here about the pro class amps and such. Is the studio side regard something to assign some weight to, or is studio use more about accuracy and not necessarily what 2ch/hifi enthusiasts would consider "good sound"?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 22,489
    edited December 2018
    Studio is more shielding and clean delivery, flat, unforgiving. May not be a bad thing depending on goals.

I used mogami in my computer system for about 5 years for signal wire... Good stuff.

I'm not sure I would buy them over dh labs, supra, audioquest in the home audio space unless it was a really good deal (less than 2 bucks a foot)

Check out supra for bulk wire, also belkin
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    Alright, good info, thanks!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,035
    Plenty of extremely high quality pro/studio/sound reinforcement (and even PA) stuff.
    Danley comes to mind, e.g.
    https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/
    Plus, Tom Danley is an active, enthusiastic, helpful and attitude free member of audioasylum who's happy to help folks with cogent and accurate information rather than pontification. Not that I can afford nor rationalize purchase of any of their products -- wish I could.

FWIW, I am on the cusp of fabricating some Mogami loudspeaker cables (just for fun -- one cannot beat empiricism, as far as I am concerned), and already bought some shielded Mogami cabling to make up some RCA terminated (unbalanced) cables. Moving at my usual glacial pace on that latter project :/

Good info and a laugh, thanks Doc :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dr_WuDr_Wu Posts: 91
    Mogami 3103 is 2 bucks/ft. (unterminated) on USAudioMart
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,116
    Just give it a try Scott. Paul yep2/pepster spoke highly of it...(mogami)
    Not that that really means anything in the grand scheme of life B) B)

Personally I can't see you needing shielded wire.
    Oh yeah, that's right - I think I happened across a few of his cable builds. The ones I saw looked like pro build, iirc. Thanks Ivan.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 12,116
    msg wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that's right - I think I happened across a few of his cable builds. The ones I saw looked like pro build, iirc. Thanks Ivan.

For interconnects yes he used shielded cable.
    edited January 7
    @Dr_Wu :: thanks for the heads up on the Mogami w3103 on USAM.

I was in contact with the seller last week and ordered a length to whip up some cables. Cool dude, and this is leftover stock from his HT build.

He's also sending me some of the coax w3082 to try.

Should probably get some fun colored TechFlex from FurryLetters on Ebay to spruce it up!

I disabled signatures.
  • CoolJazzCoolJazz Posts: 512
    FWIW....there is a ton of different Mogami numbers. They make a great product, but it you select a wrong product for the use you put in in, then it may not be satisfactory.

For instance...if you select a really neat small diameter, low capacitance, low noise cable and make interconnects out of it, then it may not last used as a mic cable. Inversely, balanced quad Mogami W2534 is great for balance line uses...but wouldn't be what you're after for TT connection.

I'm primarily running balanced for my main system, so I haven't look hard for what I'd pick from Mogami for unbalanced, but here is some I have used and liked for various applications. 2549 for balanced interconnect. In chassis mini cable use, 2697. Speaker, a 3103. A mini coax, a 2444.

Parts Express at last look was selling 2534 at 1.55 @ foot.

Markertek is decent for pricing and seeing quick info on different numbers.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,122
    I use Mogami Cables in my Guitar rig
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
    edited January 7
    Hey Dan, yeah, first I ever heard of Mogami it was a soldering tutorial I was watching from TubeDepot where the guy was making a new guitar cable.

The cable arrived today, so I'm gonna make up some quick connections and see how it goes.
    I disabled signatures.
  • daboyzdaboyz Posts: 4,737
    I'm using 2534 for all my ic's and 3103 for sc's. Pretty happy with it so far. :smile:
    Main - Infinity RSIIIb, Magnepan 1.4, Marsh A200s, Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC, Schiit Saga pre, Oppo BDP 93, Pioneer Elite BDP 62FD, Marantz SR7008, Usher S-525, Martin Logan Dynamo, NHT CS-10, Polk S15, Mogami 3103 speaker wire, Mogami 2534 IC

mini HT - Samsung 46" 3D TV + 3D Blu ray player, HK AVR 254, Infinity SL40, Audioengine B1
  • ALL212ALL212 Posts: 849
    I've used 2534 for many things including speaker cable for low wattage tube amps. Love the sound. I've also used the two conductor (has one step up in AWG but otherwise same) in some amps and in one case of interconnects. It makes great headphone cable as well.

I've used 3103 and 3082 for speaker cables - both good. Will be doing a cable battle when the new speakers arrive for the tube amp.

They are a good cable, well made and economical when compared to some of the competition.
    Aaron
  • Dr_WuDr_Wu Posts: 91
    I use the 2 conductor 2549 w/Neutrik Rean connectors for my ICs. 14awg, 1m lengths. All I can say is they were a definite improvement over basic RCAs.

How are the 3103 speaker cables working out for you, @msg?
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,886
    Hey, Scott, if you like them, share the wealth, ya know what I mean? :)
    Modest HT - Pio Elite SC-63, RT800i, CS400i center, FXi50 surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Samsung UBD-M7500.
    Even more modest Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS300 center, Furez 10/2, Roku Ultra+
  • FaustinFaustin Posts: 808
    I just bought some Mogami 3103 for some DIY speaker cables. For the price I thought I would give it a try.
    Dr_Wu wrote: »
    How are the 3103 speaker cables working out for you, @msg?
    Looks like my earlier post/response got wiped. My fault, I did have a funny video link hidden in a spoiler.

I was saying I haven't quite gotten around to getting them set up yet. Looking forward to hearing them, though. I didn't realize the 3103 were so popular. Good bit of feedback here on Mogami.

I disabled signatures.