What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited January 2019
    @Kharp1 Dilly! Dilly!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I verified beyond a doubt my Cary SLP 03 pre plays much lounder out of the right channel....my guess is there is something out of wack with the left channel. What is interesting is that I frequently bump the balance to the right one or two clicks on the remote to offset some rooms issues I have....
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I've been listening to my cd's in two channel all day long. It's a pain to get up every 50-80 minutes to put in a different disc, but it sounds great!

Until I listened to a review on YouTube about the S60's I never realized that the top driver helped with the vocals as well as the tweeter. :o That explains the so full sound throughout my livingroom/kitchen!

Hahaha!! Don't get vinyl
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Willow wrote: »
    I've been listening to my cd's in two channel all day long. It's a pain to get up every 50-80 minutes to put in a different disc, but it sounds great!

Until I listened to a review on YouTube about the S60's I never realized that the top driver helped with the vocals as well as the tweeter. :o That explains the so full sound throughout my livingroom/kitchen!

Hahaha!! Don't get vinyl

Never fear JF, I got out of vinyl probably 30+ years ago and I'm not going back!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

Never fear JF, I got out of vinyl probably 30+ years ago and I'm not going back!
    Jesse once thought as you do, yet he has given himself to the Dark Side.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

He gave it a shot but, as far as I know, he got back out again.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Nope.... he is all in.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Willow wrote: »

Hahaha!! Don't get vinyl

Trust me, there is a reason why we went Spotify.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    halo wrote: »

Yeah, didn't I see him selling off all the gear he bought for it???
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Well, thanks to JOE and his heads-up on a great deal, I have a PS Audio Stellar GCD preamp/DAC coming. 15yrs my system has been fronted by Benchmark DAC's in the preamp/dac role; it was time for something different.

yuir0387cbo2.jpg

Gruesome, entrails pic:
    ip93iq1svizo.jpg

Very nice Steve!
    Looks like you could pull the tranny and make a dreadnought with that sucker. WOW!
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969

Yeah, didn't I see him selling off all the gear he bought for it???[/quote]

As far I know, the vinyl gear he sold was after upgrading and a turntable he sold was his father’s.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    What did I do today? Listened to the P6 for 2 hours already and planning 2 more before bed. Fast tracking the cart break in!
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I thought about all of it sitting in storage with negative windchill...my poor babies... :(

Only two more months!!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I thought about all of it sitting in storage with negative windchill...my poor babies... :(

Only two more months!!!

When it'll still be negative windchill...

;)

On the other hand, you'll have a nice new house.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Looking good Micah! Love the stands! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    verb wrote: »
    Looking good Micah! Love the stands! :smile:

Thanks! The "stands" sound great too, but nowhere near as good as the speakers on them. ;)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Congrats man. Like that finish too.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    And I replaced ferrofluid in one of my tweeters (not the new elacs lol) today and was surprised by the difference it made.
  • mlistens03
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Congrats man. Like that finish too.

Thanks! I had a hard time deciding between white or black, but I think I made the right choice.
    joecoulson wrote: »
    And I replaced ferrofluid in one of my tweeters (not the new elacs lol) today and was surprised by the difference it made.

I gotta do that in a pair of my speakers too... In fact, in the "stands" from the above picture. (Mission Freedom 770s)
  • halo
    edited January 2019
    Well, Micah, looks like you and I are KEF brothers ;)

I swapped out the Signature S15’s
    px18rcp3uiuo.jpeg
    For the Q150’s
    1vp33513yxkp.jpeg
    Whoa! What a huge difference from my initial placement of the KEFs

Me likey!!!

The sub is not on and my 740 sq ft apartment is filling up quite nicely.

@mlistens03 I notice that these respond very well to placement changes. So take the time to get them where they sound best to you.
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    Well, Micah, looks like you and I are KEF brothers ;)

I swapped out the Signature S15’s
    px18rcp3uiuo.jpeg
    For the Q150’s
    1vp33513yxkp.jpeg
    Whoa! What a huge difference from my initial placement of the KEFs

Me likey!!!

With all the reviews and the sale price, I just couldn't pass them up as I had just sold a couple pairs of speakers. Boy am I glad I went for it, these things sound great! And I haven't even attempted to place them well yet, I just put them in roughly the same spot on opposite sides of to room, lol. The bass is amazingly powerful from such a small speaker, the mids and highs are very smooth. And I haven't even played them for 5 hours yet, I can't imagine what they'll sound like once broken in. :)
    Got them playing Greta Van Fleet right now.
  • mhardy6647
    That recent KEF sale did indeed look to be a good one :)
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    I sent some money to Jim McShane for some new & NoS firebottles.
    We shall see.
  • halo
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    With all the reviews and the sale price, I just couldn't pass them up as I had just sold a couple pairs of speakers. Boy am I glad I went for it, these things sound great! And I haven't even attempted to place them well yet, I just put them in roughly the same spot on opposite sides of to room, lol. The bass is amazingly powerful from such a small speaker, the mids and highs are very smooth. And I haven't even played them for 5 hours yet, I can't imagine what they'll sound like once broken in. :)
    Got them playing Greta Van Fleet right now.

Honestly, most speakers that I've owned (when purchased new) didn't sound a whole lot different to me later as they "broke in." However, the KEF Q150 is the exception. It didn't take very long, maybe 50 hours, but I do feel that the sound improved. You will be rewarded with proper placement and a little time on them. The woofer surrounds are ribbed like the Energy speakers that I owned previously (RC10, RC70, & RC-LCR, respectively); They seem to be very stiff out of the gate. I didn't notice much movement earlier when playing the "Sea Wall" track from the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack. Now, there is a decent amount of excursion, even at low volume levels.

Enjoy!

BTW, Micah - I was torn between the two colors and the white looks very sharp, it just didn't "go" with my room.
  • halo
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

The sale is still on until the end of January ;) Might be nice to compare the KEF to the ELAC Debut B6.2 bookies that you have?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

The sale is still on until the end of January ;) Might be nice to compare the KEF to the ELAC Debut B6.2 bookies that you have?

Did someone mention sale?! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009

Congrats John!! B)

I like what looks to be a real big diamond above the needle.

I think there's a review from Stereophile magazine somewhere.

And I thought you were going to quit the vinyl playing for a few years while your son grows up some more.

I hope that cartridge brings you what you hope it will. Or maybe you've heard one already and KNOW what your getting.

I'll bet it is VERY SPECIAL.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647

Then I will definitely have to invest in some stands. :)

Amusingly enough, I was just broaching that concept (the stands, that is) to Mrs. H.