VTL 2.5 PreAmp in the House!

12346»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited January 2019
    I can't believe I just saw someone else using Juno Reactor - Bible of Dreams as a test CD. My eyes went like this O.O and I did a double take. This has been one of my favorite albums and a go-to test CD for me for years. Huge Juno Reactor fan, I own almost all of his releases.

You gotta listen to some of his stuff on vinyl!

2avkeel9eh2z.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    That's cool Drew! I just recently got a taste, and really like em! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    How do you minimize the influence of the tube compliment? Tubes can make or break a rig. I'm pretty sure the 2 use different tubes in a different configuration.

I've always had a hard time comparing tube gear head to head, since tubes can flavor a piece one way or another.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • verb
    heiney9 wrote: »
    How do you minimize the influence of the tube compliment? Tubes can make or break a rig. I'm pretty sure the 2 use different tubes in a different configuration.

I've always had a hard time comparing tube gear head to head, since tubes can flavor a piece one way or another.

H9

Yep I’m seeming that. I’m using 12AU7 and 12AT7 pairs on the VTL.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    @verb How do you like the tube preamp sound? I am thinking of going with a tube pre and SS power soon. Trying to research some good preamps that can be had for under $600 used.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2019
    Cody, look for an Eastern Electric Mini-Max tube pre. Stellar unit within your budget.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    Cody, look for an Eastern Electric Mini-Max tube pre. Stellar unit within your budget.

Thanks! Was also thinking of stretching the budget a little. I found a nice Odyssey Candela for just a smudge more than my budget.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • verb
    @verb How do you like the tube preamp sound? I am thinking of going with a tube pre and SS power soon. Trying to research some good preamps that can be had for under $600 used.

I love it! Overall soundstage is drastically improved. Musically a lot smoother too. The Rotel 1580, while no slouch, was more analytical and a bit on the thin side. IMO of course. When the VTL had all the drama, and I swapped the Rotel back in, my impression was wow! :smile:
  • codycatalist
    verb wrote: »

I love it! Overall soundstage is drastically improved. Musically a lot smoother too. The Rotel 1580, while no slouch, was more analytical and a bit on the thin side. IMO of course. When the VTL had all the drama, and I swapped the Rotel back in, my impression was wow! :smile:

I'm looking to inject some musicality and emotion into my tunes. It's just a tad too clean if you know what I mean. I don't need no white glove service in this audio game.

• verb
    Yep. For me it was amazing. Even for this newbie!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    You might want to consider adding in some well recorded vocals to your test CDs. @msg made a good point about this that has stuck with me. In some cases, it's easy to make electronic music sound good. It's more difficult and therefore a better test to be able to reproduce the human voice, since there's arguably a lot more nuance and depth to it.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    You might want to consider adding in some well recorded vocals to your test CDs. @msg made a good point about this that has stuck with me. In some cases, it's easy to make electronic music sound good. It's more difficult and therefore a better test to be able to reproduce the human voice, since there's arguably a lot more nuance and depth to it.

Yep gotcha. Appreciate the feedback!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Ya know man, your slacking on your reviews....unless I missed them somewhere.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ya know man, your slacking on your reviews....unless I missed them somewhere.

Dude previous page! :smile:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, this was funny, I remember joking about this after I called it "listening to real music". We share an enjoyment for electronic music, but exactly as you say, it's easier to have it sound good.

One of my favorite test tracks is Ruth Moody's Cold Outside
    Lots of pleasant detail and I really nice bass lead-in, or whatever you call it. I tried looking that up but Google failed me.
    h73jqv9kh3di.png

Here's a link to the track to check out.
    Try not to cry, you little !@#$%es.
    (ha! it actually worked, hiding this in a spoiler so it doesn't fling out a giant YouTube preview all over the thread.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCKwvcf4Tk0

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got corndogs roasting.
    (I don't know why I do it to myself. Oh. Yes, I do. They're friggin' delishus)
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    edited January 2019
    I love Bass! :smile: Nice tune! I'm gonna add it!

Wow - Roasted corndogs? Mmmm.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084

First off. Nice review. Nice software

2nd. I'm almost certain your NSD DAC and Furman conditioner were here in my crib ... both very solid units (small world, eh?)

Thrice. Altho, some disagree. There are SQ improvements when rolling much better tubes into the 2 less important positions. Those modern EH tubes are meh, at best

Lastly. If you're into female vocals, I've got 2 up 'n comers for you:
    Laura Fygi and Linda Ronstandt. lol
    My preferences lean toward any of the 3 albums backed by LR & the Nelson Riddle Orchestra
    Laura Fygi's vocals are hypnotic
    Tubes can make or break a rig. I'm pretty sure the 2 use different tubes in a different configuration.
    H9

The Cary uses a quad of 6SN7s and I think the VTL 12at7 & 12au7

However today, when I put a full compliment of new tubes in (CBS 12AT7's from @heiney9 and the spare Mullards 12AU7's that came with it) it is now dead quiet.

If you're up for it . . . I've got the good Adcom GFP-750 waiting for audition
    Passive, baby . . . passive
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Thanks Dog! Yep a small world! I appreciate the comments. Learning here, need to add some vocals to the list of test tunes. Evanescence (Amy Lee) comes to mind!

I've always wondered why when reading a review on line, the reviewer has such (for me) an esoteric list of music that they play. Most of which I was unfamiliar. Now I know why. Testing the system!

I'm into the tube journey for sure. I'll certainly post my progress along the way!

The Adcom, seems to be the most coveted pre of their line! She's a beauty for sure!

I'm up for it!

Gotta get you over to the crib and compare notes. Teacher/Student thing, if ya know what I mean. And bring the remote for the Cary! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    edited January 2019

Gotta get you over to the crib and compare notes. Teacher/Student thing, if ya know what I mean. And bring the remote for the Cary! :smile:

I'd like to hear those BigBoys sing!
    The Cary remote only does vol and the Adcom, well. We won't go there just yet ...

If they'd only make a remote to my specs!!

edit: for the record I'm a perpetual student
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Yep. The VTL remote does the same. Plus mute.

The EAR does not have a remote! Oh no! :smile:
  • verb
    So today, @GlennDog heard my plight (no tube pre, the world is ending) :smile: and offered up his absolutely beautiful Cary SLP-98 tube pre, as a loaner, while the VTL is going under repairs!

All I can say is wow! Thanks very much Dog!

This is one of the reasons (among many) as to why CP is such an awesome place. It's about helping each other out, in times of need.

And, I get to put some ears on another tube pre! Pic of his baby:
    8az41lomuao3.jpg

Just wanted to get a shout out to @GlennDog for letting me borrow, ahem, test drive, ahem, drool over, his fabulous Cary! This is a thing of beauty, and it sounds fantastic!

I am a little sad in letting her go, as Dog did not accept my offer to buy her, but, it is close by! If you ever change your mind Glenn, I got dibs! :smile:

But mostly, @GlennDog is the essence of what Club Polk is all about. Helping others in times of need (my VTL drama) and sharing experiences with others.

Glenn is truly is a kind gentleman, and I for one am glad he is here. I am honored to regard him as my friend!

Thanks Dog!
  • GlennDog
    You're welcome! B)
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I’m looking to aquire one of these this weekend! Have it lined up as long as it doesn’t sell before the weekend
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • GlennDog
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I’m looking to aquire one of these this weekend! Have it lined up as long as it doesn’t sell before the weekend

Mustang,
    Looking forward to your Backert vs VTL comparison ...
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    Moved the VTL over to the secondary rig in the basement. Just popped in a pair of new Electro Harmonix 12AU7's from @joecoulson ! Swapped out the Russian Mullards.
    Warming up now. Tube rolling is kinda fun! :smile:
    h9q4zldx3vxh.jpg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It'll get old.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    edited May 2019
    F1nut wrote: »
    It'll get old.

Yep. Especially since the cover has about 12 screws used to attach! :smile:

Correction. 20 screws! 10 on top, 5 per side! :smile:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Yep, I had one....real PITA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bostown
    bostown Posts: 1
    You have to take the Ronco approach with the VTL, once you find a set of tubes that works for you . you "SET IT, and FORGET IT". but I'm that way even with tube units that have exposed tubes. :)
    Now Playing: Mryad MDP 500, Audire Otez, Essence HDACC, Precise Acoustics Labs Monitor 10