The new Marantz PM and SA KI Ruby

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,480
    Not 3300.00 dollars worth obviously :D:D:D
    I've owned some pricey stuff several years later off the used market. To be honest it was never that 4K stuff though B)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I wonder if she enjoys critical listening?

232729bd75q3uw78c5fuof.jpg

Man that set looks beautiful in that champagne finish. :o<3 wow!

What set? :wink:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    edited November 2018
    chumlie wrote: »
    Isn't love grand. :)

oops someone beat me to the punch.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

If only love just costs a grand, we men would be golden. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • verb

4 grand, to be exact! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Drew, did you get it? :)

Nope. If I did buy it, I would want it sealed.

I was completely sold on a SA-KI Ruby, and I would have already ordered one if I was single.

But I've thought about it for several consecutive days now, and decided that ordering one is simply not worth the insane psycho bitching, ranting, and complaining that's sure to ensue from my wife.

I could try a hundred different ways to explain why I want this particular player, or why it's worth the money to me, but I don't think she really understands this hobby or has any interest in doing so. To her it's just some expensive frivolous unnecessary purchase that wouldn't bring any additional joy or pleasure to her life. "Why do you need a four thousand dollar CD player, when you already have CD players?!"

So yeah, not worth the splitting headache that I'll get her from her ridiculous yelling and bitching.

Just saw this. That’s my world.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Interesting/bizarre exchange with Marantz customer service:

My question: "Hello - I was just wondering if you could tell me how many SA-KI Ruby players are being made total.

Thank you in advance."

Their answer: "That's not information we would have access to. I can tell you that SA-KI Ruby is not a limited edition model, so it should be around for the next few years.

Thanks,
    Marantz NA"
  • Clipdat
    This actually directly conflicts other marketing material I've read online including the following:

"The SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player and PM-KI Ruby amplifier will be made in a limited run of 1000 units apiece" - WhatHiFi

"Appointed with a classy ruby motif, fine-tuned by Ishiwata himself, and limited to only 1,000 units worldwide" - MusicDirect

"There are only 1000 KI Ruby sets available in Europe, 500 sets in black and 500 sets in gold" - TheAbsoluteSound

"the SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player and PM-KI Ruby amplifier, which will be made in a limited run of 1000 units apiece." Marantz Europe
  • SIHAB
    edited December 2018
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Drew, did you get it? :)

Nope. If I did buy it, I would want it sealed.

I was completely sold on a SA-KI Ruby, and I would have already ordered one if I was single.

But I've thought about it for several consecutive days now, and decided that ordering one is simply not worth the insane psycho bitching, ranting, and complaining that's sure to ensue from my wife.

I could try a hundred different ways to explain why I want this particular player, or why it's worth the money to me, but I don't think she really understands this hobby or has any interest in doing so. To her it's just some expensive frivolous unnecessary purchase that wouldn't bring any additional joy or pleasure to her life. "Why do you need a four thousand dollar CD player, when you already have CD players?!"

So yeah, not worth the splitting headache that I'll get her from her ridiculous yelling and bitching.

Ask her why she can't go buy makeup from Walgreens or Walmart instead of Sephora, Mac or Ulta.

In all seriousness my wife is supportive of this hobby but if I spent THAT much on a piece you best believe there better be a $4K gift waiting for her or else it's my head.

Like she says "What's mine is mine and what's your's is mine"
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb

My question: "Hello - I was just wondering if you could tell me how many SA-KI Ruby players are being made total.

Thank you in advance."

Their answer: "That's not information we would have access to. I can tell you that SA-KI Ruby is not a limited edition model, so it should be around for the next few years.

Thanks,
    Marantz NA"

Interesting. Could it be translation issues? :wink:
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

Why did you ask them that? Prior to asking, did you have reason to believe it wasn't 1,000?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    I could be wrong, but a piece like this, I could see them spacing 1000 units over a couple years
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Why did you ask them that? Prior to asking, did you have reason to believe it wasn't 1,000?

I asked them that because I was curious about how many SA-KI players were being made total. I figured asking them directly would be a good way to get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.

I had been trying to call their headquarters for the past several days during normal business hours, but every time I selected the option for sales & marketing it rang 4 times and then said something like "the person at extension #### is not available" and went to VM.

To answer your second question: yes and no. I had a gut feeling that it's not as limited as they are implying with their marketing. For example they could be making 1000 units in the first year or two and then making more later. From an investment/collector/resale value perspective, it's helpful to know exactly how exclusive or limited the player really is.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    edited December 2018
    The 30th anniversary KI Pearl edition was a limited production run, which sold out. I expect this 40th anniversary KI Ruby edition is the same.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    The Marantz European site indicates 1,000 sets, and that they'll be numbered.
    http://www.marantz.eu/ruby
  • Clipdat
    I was still curious about production numbers, so I decided to email Ken Ishiwata directly.

He gave me his permission to share our exchange.

My email:

"Hi Ken - I've already ordered a SA-KI Ruby, and I'm very excited and can't wait to receive it!

I was simply wondering if you could tell me how many examples total of the SA-KI Ruby will be manufactured.

Thank you in advance for your time,
    Drew"

Ken's reply:

"Hi Drew,

Nice to know you’ll have a SA-KI Ruby for your own use!!! It’s very musical player as disc player and USB DAC !!! Actually it’s my favorite player…..

As we are not able to decide other regions commercial policies, we only have taken European Commercial policy of making it as Limited Edition of 1000 units(500 Gold and 500 Black) together with some special packaging in Europe.

I don’t have any data of sales in US and ROA but my guess is around 300 units in total…..

Kind Regards,
    Ken Ishiwata"
  • SIHAB
    Well congrats! Can't wait to here your impressions!!
  • verb
    Wow! Congrats Drew!

And you say I'm outta control! :smile:
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Very Cool Purchase!
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @Clipdat

I guess you’ve got the one spinner to rule them all headed your way. Congrats man!

So, selling off all the others will generate a little income and a lot of shelf space. Double bonus!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mdaudioguy
    Cool! It'll be interesting to see if your number is below or above 1,000, because I'm not sure what he meant... 1,000 for Europe? 300 more for what - US, North and South America? Are they selling any in Asia??
  • Clipdat
    edited December 2018
    halo wrote: »
    @Clipdat

I guess you’ve got the one spinner to rule them all headed your way. Congrats man!

So, selling off all the others will generate a little income and a lot of shelf space. Double bonus!!

Who said anything about selling off my other players? :)
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Cool! It'll be interesting to see if your number is below or above 1,000, because I'm not sure what he meant... 1,000 for Europe? 300 more for what - US, North and South America? Are they selling any in Asia??

I'm not fully certain either, but I believe from his commentary that he is basically stating that the player was pretty much developed by Marantz Europe, and thus they decided to release it in limited quantity for the European market.

However, because Marantz is a global entity with a parent company that oversees it's operations in the other markets/territories that it serves, the European branch is unable to specifically set the sales policies for those markets and in turn explicitly limit the number of units sold in them.

It appears that the European release is accompanied by more fanfare, as they've mentioned a hand signed certificate to be included in the box, etc. It will definitely be interesting to see how mine arrives, I will document the unboxing with photos. ;)

I gave Ken the link to this thread, maybe he'll register and post a response when he has a chance. :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Drew, congrats on your purchase of the SA-KI Ruby! Without question, a Destination Piece!
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    And yes, it's true, I have ordered a SA-KI Ruby from an authorized dealer. (Skip at AudioThesis)

And yes, I did come to an "agreement" with my wife before I ordered it! ;)

I assume you were afraid to bring up the "make-up" scenario I mentioned. Congrats bud, i'm sure you will dig it.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Clipdat
    I assume you were afraid to bring up the "make-up" scenario I mentioned. Congrats bud, i'm sure you will dig it.

Haha, I actually ordered it before you posted about the make-up. :)
  • SIHAB
    awaiting Utube vid. :D