Laid off

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Best of luck!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Good luck my dude!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    That’s what counts!
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Just ask yourself before you go in... "What would Lightman do?"

Then do the exact opposite.

That meine Damen und Herren is signature worthy material right there. :)
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    btv3wos9a0dn.png

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018
    Good luck Drew! This is the time of your interview. May God be with you! ;)o:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Go get ‘em Drew!!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Hermitism wrote: »
    We expect a FULL review of your interview!

How was the overall presentation? Did the interviewer sound extremely smooth and pleasant? Did he/she have a "polite" sound or was his voice full of grit, grain and hash? How was the benefits package? Did you specifically "hear" the terms in the fine detail. Do you feel the company is performing at the highest level? Were you blown away by the spectacular clarity and dynamic punch of the beginning salary offered? Do you think that if you take the job that you will be fully engaged in the work or just "simply there"? How was the build quality/appearance of your surroundings? Were all the exits clearly marked and exiting at a straight "90 degree" angle from the surrounding walls or did you feel that some exit doors were slightly askew? How was the ambient lighting in the building? Crisper and a little brighter than what you are normally used to? Indoor climate? Were you pretty accustomed to it's operating temp? Will you be required to commit to any conditioning before starting? Or training, perhaps? Will you be working in an office or cubical? If a cubicle applies to you, what are the surrounding cubicle walls made of and will it increase the clarity that may manifest itself into more detail and breath around vocals? Or do voices carry across the room?

dead. :p

I hope there was no "hum" involved in the hiring process.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

How was the overall presentation? Did the interviewer sound extremely smooth and pleasant? Did he/she have a "polite" sound or was his voice full of grit, grain, and hash? How was the benefits package? Did you specifically "hear" the terms in the fine detail. Do you feel the company is performing at the highest level? Were you blown away by the spectacular clarity and dynamic punch of the beginning salary offered? Do you think that if you take the job that you will be fully engaged in the work or just "simply there"? How was the build quality/appearance of your surroundings? Were all the exits clearly marked and exiting at a straight "90 degree" angle from the surrounding walls or did you feel that some exit doors were slightly askew? How was the ambient lighting in the building? Crisper and a little brighter than what you are normally used to? Indoor climate? Were you pretty accustomed to it's operating temp? Will you be required to commit to any conditioning before starting? Or training, perhaps? Will you be working in an office or cubical? If a cubicle applies to you, what are the surrounding cubicle walls made of and will it increase the clarity that may manifest itself into more detail and breath around vocals? Or do voices carry across the room?

LOL. This might be one of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum... and that is saying a LOT.
  • Viking64
    LMVAO @ "polite" :p
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Viking64 wrote: »
    LMVAO @ "polite" :p
    Drew gets credit for that!
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I also noticed that overall the sound had a very polite and smoothed over attribute to it that wasn't there before. One way to describe it in other terms would be "heavenly and angelic". Basically when I heard the way the music was sounding I thought to myself "Mmm, that's nice." - It was pleasant and unoffensive.

In summary, there were definitely some palpable changes I noticed with this Dectet cable swap. The shifted presentation and additional midrange detail are positive, in my opinion. The smooth and polite sound signature and possible reduction in bass frequencies require further consideration and listening before I can also consider them positive changes.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Welll how did it go?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Hermitism
    His right eye twitched the entire time he was being interviewed due to my voodoo doll. The potential employer was under the impression that Drew had Tourette Syndrome. They had to hire him on the spot due to The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
  • nooshinjohn
    This picture was taken at the interview....

we0kcsxh36wr.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I’m thinking the no response is a good thing.
  • Hermitism
    The employer wrote on the rock whether he was hired or not. At least he was wearing cowboy boots.
  • nooshinjohn
    And that snazzy sport poncho looks good too.

• No response yet, perhaps he unwittingly became part of the #metoo movement.
  • Viking64
    Drew gets credit for that!

I recall. Thus my enthusiasm for your initial questions. :p
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Tony M wrote: »
    Good luck Drew! This is the time of your interview. May God be with you! ;)o:)

Tony was a little early on the prayers this morning, he started them at 2:30pm EST instead of PST!

All good though, because the interview went well! Met with four different people lasting a full 2 hours. Got along nicely with the IT Director and a would-be coworker. HR guy was super energetic. Would-be manager was a little scattered and seemed stressed. He did say as soon as he sat down that he "didn't like doing interviews" so maybe it's just not his strong point.

So yeah, I think it was good! Thanks again for everyone's positive vibes, I think it really made a difference!

Also I read @Hermitism's post beforehand and got a kick out of it. Answers to his questions coming soon!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited September 2018
    Sounds great. If you get along with an interviewer or 4, you're almost hired.
    I hope you hear something asap.

:)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Awesome news Drew!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Answers in bold.

How was the overall presentation?
    Stereophile Class B
    Did the interviewer sound extremely smooth and pleasant?
    Director was on the forward side of neutral, would-be coworker was on the warm and slightly laid back side of neutral, HR guy was on the bright side of neutral, would-be manager had slightly incoherent and jumbled sound
    Did he/she have a "polite" sound or was his voice full of grit, grain and hash?
    The aural attribute of a "polite" sound was not noticed with any of the interviewers. I was not able to detect any grit, grain or hash
    How was the benefits package? Did you specifically "hear" the terms in the fine detail.
    Good to very good. However I noticed some of the finer details were being glossed over.
    Do you feel the company is performing at the highest level?
    "The Company" itself appears to be Stereophile Class A material. The IT department specifically is not performing at what I could consider to be the "highest level". Additional tweaks needed.
    Were you blown away by the spectacular clarity and dynamic punch of the beginning salary offered?
    I was not underwhelmed, but I was not blown away.
    Do you think that if you take the job that you will be fully engaged in the work or just "simply there"?
    From what I gathered regarding the operations within the department, I would be fully engaged in the work.
    How was the build quality/appearance of your surroundings?
    Build quality seemed high to very high. Primarily modern design.
    Were all the exits clearly marked and exiting at a straight "90 degree" angle from the surrounding walls or did you feel that some exit doors were slightly askew?
    Didn't notice any exit signs.
    How was the ambient lighting in the building?
    On the moderate side. Unoffensive.
    Crisper and a little brighter than what you are normally used to?
    Definitely a little cooler/dimmer than what I'm used to.
    Indoor climate?
    The building temperature overall seemed comfortable, but the small closed door conference room quickly got hot and stuffy. Inadequate ventilation?
    Were you pretty accustomed to it's operating temp?
    See above. Not nearly enough airflow.
    Will you be required to commit to any conditioning before starting? Or training, perhaps?
    Should be primarily plug and play, but 40-80 hours of break in time should not be unexpected.
    Will you be working in an office or cubical?
    I believe cubical unfortunately
    If a cubicle applies to you, what are the surrounding cubicle walls made of and will it increase the clarity that may manifest itself into more detail and breath around vocals?
    I didn't get close enough to examine the texture and sturdiness of the cubicle walls, but they appeared to be the half height variety. As a result I would think this would manifest itself as a slight reverb.
    Or do voices carry across the room?
    While I was waiting in the conference room, I could easily hear every word of a phone conversation that someone nearby was having. This seems to point to an extremely low noise floor, a mostly black background with the exception of a very faint HVAC whirring white noise