The new Marantz PM and SA KI Ruby

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Some good insights to the Marantz gear.

https://www.marantz.jp/jp/10_12series/index.html
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Exquisite pieces! Wow!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    Interesting that the new CDP/SACD player weighs more than the new integrated!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • sponger
    sponger Posts: 325
    edited September 2018
    Probably might have something to do with Polk's parent company, Sound United, acquiring D+M holdings in early 2017. For example, the S35 center channel is featured on Marantz's website.

But even if that's not why, the Sigs have style. They are a unique and classy looking speaker. Polk's vid on youtube of the story on how the Sigs were designed is fascinating. They were trying to emulate the aesthetic character of acoustic guitars. The result is an impactful interpretation both visually and sonically IMO.

That said, a brand like Marantz I think we can all agree also differentiates itself from other products with its unique stylings. From its portholes to the gold colored UI, they're like the art deco of home theater. That's how I see it anyway. From the HDAM "warmth" to the reissue receivers some years back, part of the appeal of Marantz is its vintage character.

So in that sense the sigs and uber pricey hi fi Marantz hardware do complement each other on stage despite the contrasting target markets.

Not to mention I think my S15s sound terrific. That old 3312CI powering them IMO is a better source than most X series denons of today that don't have discrete amp channels, and which are using AKM multi-channel DACs that are found in $500 Onkyos. 6XXXX series and up probably ok especially being Japan made, but 4XXX and down were not impressive. I think people are paying for those DSPs and newer immersive sound codecs.

Also, some are saying that those S60s couldn't be transparent without extensive room treatment. But, can the same not be said about a lot of speakers that cost a lot more? Digital Trends, which usually reviews multi-thousand dollar speakers said the only failing of the Sigs is bitey highs. But my experiences are that Audyssey took care of that IMO.

So to me this vid made a lot of sense for a couple of reasons.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • F1nut
    The Marantz website doesn’t show the S35 or any Polk speaker.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sponger
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Marantz website doesn’t show the S35 or any Polk speaker.

yknqd9yj9gb4.jpg
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • F1nut
    What site are you looking at because I do not see that anywhere on the US site.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Found it in the news section at Marantz UK. I wouldn't exactly call that featured, but whatever.

President of Club Polk

• sponger
    edited September 2018
    https://www.us.marantz.com/us/Pages/Home.aspx

It makes a cameo appearance in the carousel.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • F1nut
    edited September 2018
    I stand corrected, it is on the US site if one scrolls through the stuff at the top of the home page on the standard site. I use the mobile site, which it is not on.

President of Club Polk

• sponger
    That would make sense as I'm on a lap top.

Also, D+M products make numerous appearances on Polk's FB feed. In one post Polk says something to the effect of these speakers go great with this Denon receiver.
    Denon X7200WA
    LSiM 705 703 704c
    Denon DP 400
    Yamaha CDC 775
  • F1nut
    I think DEI/Sound United would be wiser to leave the brands separate.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    It's the new cross marketing way Jesse.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited November 2018
    Anyone get their ears on a SA-KI Ruby yet?
  • Clipdat
    Anyone have any thoughts about how this player up-converts redbook/PCM to DSD? Pros or cons of this approach?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,493
    edited November 2018
    https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-player/Marantz-SA-KI-RUBY-SACDCD-Player-and-DAC-OPEN-BOX

use cmob10 to get an addtional 10% off this open box item! (today only)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    SIHAB wrote: »
    https://www.musicdirect.com/disc-player/Marantz-SA-KI-RUBY-SACDCD-Player-and-DAC-OPEN-BOX

use cmob10 to get an addtional 10% off this open box item! (today only)

I'd love to get my ears on one.
    One day
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2018
    I believe this is the production version:

91QcmXZbJdL._SL10000_.jpg
  • Clipdat
    This image has been around a while, so I believe this is the pre-production version. Interesting to see the slight differences.

img133047_39899.jpg
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2018
    And while we're at it, what I believe is the production version of the integrated:

91anKahXC-L._SL2500_.jpg

• Clipdat
    Close up of SA-KI Ruby DAC board, showing two Analog Devices ADSP-21489 chips:

SA-KI-RUBY_MMM-Stream_1.png
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2018
    More build quality details inside the SA-KI Ruby:

SA-KI-RUBY_MMM-Conversion_3.png
  • Clipdat
    I wonder if she enjoys critical listening?

232729bd75q3uw78c5fuof.jpg
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2018
    Ahem, back to business, close up of SA-KI Ruby analog output stage:

Capture2.JPG.75389c0bff273a4990dc37d7f2d3ad22.JPG

It seems chintzy to me that the RCA jack wires plug into those little white clips. But what do I know about electronics design?

Inner.jpg
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That open box SA-KI piece didn't last very long at all at 3,300.00!

Drew, did you get it? :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I wonder if she enjoys critical listening?

232729bd75q3uw78c5fuof.jpg

Man that set looks beautiful in that champagne finish. :o<3 wow!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Tony M wrote: »

Nope. If I did buy it, I would want it sealed.

I was completely sold on a SA-KI Ruby, and I would have already ordered one if I was single.

But I've thought about it for several consecutive days now, and decided that ordering one is simply not worth the insane psycho bitching, ranting, and complaining that's sure to ensue from my wife.

I could try a hundred different ways to explain why I want this particular player, or why it's worth the money to me, but I don't think she really understands this hobby or has any interest in doing so. To her it's just some expensive frivolous unnecessary purchase that wouldn't bring any additional joy or pleasure to her life. "Why do you need a four thousand dollar CD player, when you already have CD players?!"

So yeah, not worth the splitting headache that I'll get her from her ridiculous yelling and bitching.
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Isn't love grand. :)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Nope. If I did buy it, I would want it sealed.

I was completely sold on a SA-KI Ruby, and I would have already ordered one if I was single.

But I've thought about it for several consecutive days now, and decided that ordering one is simply not worth the insane psycho bitching, ranting, and complaining that's sure to ensue from my wife.

I could try a hundred different ways to explain why I want this particular player, or why it's worth the money to me, but I don't think she really understands this hobby or has any interest in doing so. To her it's just some expensive frivolous unnecessary purchase that wouldn't bring any additional joy or pleasure to her life. "Why do you need a four thousand dollar CD player, when you already have CD players?!"

So yeah, not worth the splitting headache that I'll get her from her ridiculous yelling and bitching.

I thought she gained an appreciation for the hobby at the audio show you both attended?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10