LSiM 705 have arrived

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited July 2018
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    When my 707’s opened up it was almost like a light switch especially in the bass department, the front end is so good its almost like having two subwoofers in my system with my SVS in the back of the room..

I am absolutely happy with the LSiM’s, I don’t miss the RTiA9’s, well I miss the look of them, I always thought they were one of the best looking speakers Polk has ever made...

These will be with me for many years if not forever as I don’t see any reason to swap them out, Polk would really have to out do themselves for me to even look at them..

Thanks for your insights. I was listening to 10,000 days when I got home today and I got chills on the back of my neck when the pot came on. Absolutely unreal how good these sound. Not quite at where the InnerSound ESL hybrids were or the Von Schweikert VR2's were but the 705's are within spitting distance.

I actually like the look of the LSiM line with the beautiful wood veneers and the lacquer front ends. The oval Cassini woofers look different than any other home audio speakers I've owned. I really like the curved cabinets as well. Pretty sharp!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Git you some, Victor!

Thanks Russ!!!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    The 705's would have been mine ages ago if I could physically move them, but they are too heavy for me so that was a pass. Fortunately the S60s came into being, and I'm a happy camper!

Enjoy Victor!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Victor, if you call Conrad-Johnson they will tell you that Steve McCormack is no longer there.........just saying ya know.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    F1nut wrote: »
    Victor, if you call Conrad-Johnson they will tell you that Steve McCormack is no longer there.........just saying ya know.

Yes, I caught that thread. ;)

Thankfully, SMC is up and running in California!

That Conrad Johnson amp @verb has looks like a beast
  • halo
    DSkip wrote: »
    Victor if you want to try a good tube amp on those let me know. I might be able to work something out for you. I've got a couple units on a reviewers tour right now.

That's a very kind offer Skip! Cathy will rake me over the coals if I'm running the 705's on some flea watt tube amps! lol!

It's actually funny that you mention the tube amps as the last amps I had on my VR2's were TAD-60's (from the late, great, Paul Grzybek of Tube Audio Design and Bizzy Bee Audio) bi-amping them (EL34's up top and KT88's on the bottom).
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,002
    Congrats Victor. While I have limited experience with the S60 or the 705, my brief experience tells me its no contest. The S60's are a great speaker, but they just don't match the LSiM in either looks or sound. I really, really enjoyed my 703's and it took a great deal on a pair of Usher MD2's to move them out of my room.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • halo
    edited July 2018
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Congrats Victor. While I have limited experience with the S60 or the 705, my brief experience tells me its no contest. The S60's are a great speaker, but they just don't match the LSiM in either looks or sound. I really, really enjoyed my 703's and it took a great deal on a pair of Usher MD2's to move them out of my room.

Thanks & thanks for the input! Those Ushers are no joke; An end game speaker for some. I've yet to get my ears on the brand but I've heard (no pun intended) nothing but praise.
  • halo
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The 705's would have been mine ages ago if I could physically move them, but they are too heavy for me so that was a pass. Fortunately the S60s came into being, and I'm a happy camper!

Enjoy Victor!

Cathy, You just need to get some sliders under the feet. You move them a few times until they're in the optimum position and you're golden. If we can do it, you can do it!
  • F1nut
    Not to mention hand trucks, furniture dollies and leverage.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Congrats Victor, enjoy!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halo
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Congrats Victor, enjoy!

Thanks Joey :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Your room cleans up nicely.

Took my 705’s about 75 hours to start opening up. Seemed to notice improvements until about 100-120 hour mark.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Lookin' good Victor... and I'm sure SOUNDIN' better! Congrats.

That McCormack is a sweet looking amp.
  • halo
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Your room cleans up nicely.

Took my 705’s about 75 hours to start opening up. Seemed to notice improvements until about 100-120 hour mark.

Thanks :blush: That seems to be the consensus on the time to break them in.
    scubalab wrote: »
    Lookin' good Victor... and I'm sure SOUNDIN' better! Congrats.

That McCormack is a sweet looking amp.

Thanks Al! Hasn't really been sounding "bad." lol.

It's a manly man's amp.

How are the Monitor / Model / RTA 11's ?
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Saweet! Just in time for the weekend. I should have gotten the cherry ones instead of the midnight mahogany.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • halo
    Saweet! Just in time for the weekend.

Good point!
    I should have gotten the cherry ones instead of the midnight mahogany.

IDK about that. Both finishes look great. There are cherry accents on the AV rack so now I finally have a set of speakers that match (somewhat). I’d think that the midnight mahogany finish goes with darn near anything in comparison to the cherry.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,582
    Nice looking set up. Mine are still on backorder? Do they come with spikes for carpet? Also did you do your tile floor yourself? I just ordered 275 6” x 12” tiles that look exactly like your flooring from Lowe’s . Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • halo
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Nice looking set up. Mine are still on backorder? Do they come with spikes for carpet?

Yes, the rubber feet are placed over the spikes from Polk Audio. You just pop off the rubber feet and the spikes are there.
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Also did you do your tile floor yourself? I just ordered 275 6” x 12” tiles that look exactly like your flooring from Lowe’s . Peace. D

The apartment building did the plastic composite flooring right before we moved in.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    halo wrote: »

IDK about that. Both finishes look great. There are cherry accents on the AV rack so now I finally have a set of speakers that match (somewhat). I’d think that the midnight mahogany finish goes with darn near anything in comparison to the cherry.

Well all of the trim, doors, cabinets, and some of the floors are finished in a cherry stain. I don’t remember my reasoning for not getting cherry, maybe they weren’t available idk.

Your 705s look good with the exposed brick wall too.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • halo

Well all of the trim, doors, cabinets, and some of the floors are finished in a cherry stain. I don’t remember my reasoning for not getting cherry, maybe they weren’t available idk.

Your 705s look good with the exposed brick wall too.

Maybe you had too much cherry and you wanted a contrast?

Thanks for the compliment! When I bought them, I didn’t have a choice. It was only the Mt. Vernon Cherry finish that was available. I do like the look of the Midnight Mahogany.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    tonyb wrote: »
    HUH ? Cathy....who has no problem throwing a 200 lb. man across a room is complaining the 705's are too heavy ?

I smell ….opportunity. :)

The fly said to the spider
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Looks great bro.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Unfortunately first I would have to tip the speaker to push the slider under it. Between my easily collapsing thumbs, and my worn out elbows, I'm not willing to risk hurting them.

You all would take the risk even knowing you probably shouldn't, I'm smarter than that! ;)

But I love my S60s, they look great and sound terrific.
    cfrizz wrote: »

Enjoy Victor!

Cathy, You just need to get some sliders under the feet. You move them a few times until they're in the optimum position and you're golden. If we can do it, you can do it!

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    Nothing but excuses.

President of Club Polk

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Very nice setup indeed. I would love to get a listen on some 705's someday. Best of luck and enjoy.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • halo
    Manticore wrote: »
    Very nice setup indeed. I would love to get a listen on some 705's someday. Best of luck and enjoy.

Thanks!

I’m sure someone in your area has a setup that you can audition.

Thanks again and will do!