LSiM 705 have arrived

1235»

Comments

• vavanvavan Posts: 16
    I only bought umik few days ago and really inexperienced in Rew at all so would have to figure out how to use rta
    Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Polk Audio LSiM 705 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202
  • shsshs Posts: 30
    I you have not already, there is lots of help in the REW page on the AVS Forum.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
    And if you just do a basic measurement using the fast sweep, one of the analysis tabs shows distortion as a function of frequency.
    SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP 203, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Velodyne DD15 Subwoofer.
    sure, I know that tab, the problem is how to interpret it
    Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Polk Audio LSiM 705 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202
    I guess it depends on what information you need. That tab will show the level of distortion and how much is 3rd harmonic, etc, but won't show the frequency spectrum of that distortion if that is what you are interested in. It looks like the RTA will give you the spectrum as bars and seems to be intended for use with pink noise. Hmmm.
    atm all I want is to ensure that my lsim are free of any defects
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,436
    vavan wrote: »
    atm all I want is to ensure that my lsim are free of any defects

Trust your ears as they are better at judging the sound than anything man ever invented.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

even if I trust my ears it will hardly convince anyone better than graphs demonstrating the problem
  • halohalo Posts: 4,954
    even if I trust my ears it will hardly convince anyone better than graphs demonstrating the problem

Do you need graphs to convince yourself? As far as anyone else is concerned, if they don’t believe you then that’s their problem not yours.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,874
    I think the point here is, depending on how deep you want to measure things and graph them, you can find fault with just about everything because no 2 things will measure exactly the same.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers

What problem?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Sometimes I think that on some tracks and/or frequencies these sound not quite right and I tend to believe calibrated mic more than my own ears
    Sometimes I think that on some tracks and/or frequencies these sound not quite right and I tend to believe calibrated mic more than my own ears

That could be the recordings and not the speakers.
    I you just want to know that there is no unusual distortion from the speakers, then the distortion tab in REW should tell you that.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,874
    shs wrote: »
    I you just want to know that there is no unusual distortion from the speakers, then the distortion tab in REW should tell you that.

The distortion may not be coming from the speakers. Could be the gear, or the source your using for music, or even cheap cabling if your using such.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers

If you can't trust your ears all hope is lost.

• jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 3,361
    No mics used in my setup. I actually went well out of my way to avoid such devices and software.

Your ears are all you need. We all hear frequencies at different levels, and our perception isn’t anywhere near flat. For that reason calibrating to a standard isn’t going to give the listener the most enjoyable experience; even if were technically ideal.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,243
    halo wrote: »

Do you need graphs to convince yourself? As far as anyone else is concerned, if they don’t believe you then that’s their problem not yours.

I have personally heard Victors system....
    No graphs as far as I know. It sounds stellar.....
    "Distortion Graph" rew help topic is rather cryptic for me I'm afraid, need to find something for dummies
    edited March 20
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I have personally heard Victors system....
    No graphs as far as I know. It sounds stellar.....

Thanks for the kind words Russ! Truth be told, Brian did send me a microphone but I haven’t gotten around to using it. The setup is all by ear at this point and I agree with you as to how it sounds :)
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,405
    edited March 20
    Not normal or most but normal stuff for geeks. Polk was founded by geeks and use, FE analysis, Klippel motor optimization tools, test tones, test software, Anechoic chambers human ears, etc to R&D and test speakers before boxing them up....just like most other speaker manufactures. So why not run some test tones through your speakers and measure them it you have the tools.

Also, use your ears! I can't remember if it was B&W, Sonus Faber, Focal, etc. factory video that showed a worker listening to a woofer for noise after building it.

Then, give them the ultimate test...... its all about the music!

TEST YOUR SPEAKERS LIKE A CAMBRIDGE AUDIO ENGINEER
    https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/test-your-speakers-cambridge-audio-engineer

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 22,940
    Man thanks for the link and playlist, good stuff
    - Not Tom

Vr3Mods.com ///// Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
1235»