Nostalgia: Things You Had Growing Up

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Kingrat wrote: »
    Oh yes, and the pleasure of getting hit in the face with one of those balls.

Do go on...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kingrat
    Kingrat Posts: 74
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Kingrat wrote: »
    Oh yes, and the pleasure of getting hit in the face with one of those balls.

Do go on...

I was lucky, before puberty kicked in, I was occasionally a victim of the "big kids" who could really throw the ball hard. These were the kids who hit puberty before anyone else. my best friend was one of these kids, and having him "cover" me helped a lot. Finally, at 12, I suddenly was able to throw one at least as hard as anyone else, and it was my turn to get revenge on one kid in particular who targeted me. One of my fondest moments from jr. high, and there weren't many, was when I nailed him one day with a direct hit in the face, then the next day, I did what I had a little talent for, being able to hit a baseball directly at the pitcher. If I could keep hitting foul balls, eventually I would hit one back at the pitcher, head high, and I nailed him in the forehead. Down he went crying, and he had a giant lump on his head the next couple of days. Later on that year, he would finally push me too far and we got into it, and he lost, big time. He never hassled me again.
    Cable atheist: They're just trying to get your money like a TV preacher!
    Vinyl system: I'm long done with the snap, crackle, and pop.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I faintly remember the pattern from that red dodge ball leaving it's image on a lot of legs and arms.

I just can't remember the image being left on anybody's face though.

We were mostly streetwise city kids from N. Virginia. The good ol' days for sure!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,165
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    edited July 2018
    I had one of the original Nerf blasters, looked like this:

ff_nerf1b_ss.jpg

You loaded up that front section with 5 or 6 of those foam balls, and then pulled back the orange handle/plunger and rapidly shoved it forward to get a ball to shoot. Air pressure, so the harder and faster you pushed it, the more forceful your shot!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    1960's flashback. I remember our set of these Child Guidance brand railroad pieces were kept in a vintage cardboard King Cole potato chip container. :p

h3n72r5mv7wm.jpg
    ttxcidw9rhyt.jpg
    gkrqg59cghov.jpg
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Viking64 wrote: »
    1960's flashback. I remember our set of these Child Guidance brand railroad pieces were kept in a vintage cardboard King Cole potato chip container. :p

h3n72r5mv7wm.jpg
    ttxcidw9rhyt.jpg
    gkrqg59cghov.jpg

Nat....? 😉
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Willow wrote: »
    Nat....? 😉

I don't know what you mean. :o:p

7l33jjyr6t01.jpg
  • StevieB
    StevieB Posts: 256
    Nightfall wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    when you get hit in the face and are given a bloody nose, your parents generally tell you to suck it up before they give you something to cry about.

Fixed that for you.

Modern day dodge ball prep.

nbo0awb64xgh.png
    McCormack DNA-1 Amp, Parasound Halo P5 Pre Amp, Denon DVD 2900 CD player, Adcom GDA 700 DAC, VPI Traveler TT with Denon 103R cartridge, Lounge Audio MKiii phono pre and Copla SUT, Polk SDA SRS 3.1 TL speakers, Tributaries series 8 IC's and speaker cable.
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Found this while searching for speaker info.

i0adknw6um1t.jpg
  • oldrocker
    Dig the side car kit...
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Cool! No suspension! I had a similar one from Sears back in the day!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    I can't imagine going hunting with that thing let alone having a dead deer as a passenger.. :D
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    s53wzq295od7.jpeg
    This was a Christmas gift one year. Omg this was it back in the day.
  • Tony M
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Dig the side car kit...

It would be great for carrying home stereos and speakers in for sure. But wrapped in a protective blanket, right? :D
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    One of the best Christmas presents I ever got as a child...

s824c6ammctk.jpg
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    fantastic game
    was better than football IMO
  • verb
    So I recently missed out on snagging an old toy of my youth. Estes Command Copter kit, powered by the venerable Cox .020 engine. This guy was a lot smarter than me, as I launched mine near a wooded area on it's maiden voyage, never to be found again!
    v719llvxui4j.png
    https://youtu.be/IQ7nl1qsyRA
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • oldrocker
    verb wrote: »
    So I recently missed out on snagging an old toy of my youth. Estes Command Copter kit, powered by the venerable Cox .020 engine. This guy was a lot smarter than me, as I launched mine near a wooded area on it's maiden voyage, never to be found again!
    v719llvxui4j.png
    https://youtu.be/IQ7nl1qsyRA

I remember those.

Had one of them Cox airplanes on a string, went round and round and round.

Couldn't do that now days, one full rotation, I'd be dizzy, sick, fall over and probably break a hip... :D

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I had the Cox "bird-cage" P-51 Mustang. It flew once and never made the full circle. It was a Christmas gift and my dad decided he should have the first flight. He crashed it I think, on purpose.... always looking to get out of father-son time he was. :s
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    I had the Cox "bird-cage" P-51 Mustang. It flew once and never made the full circle. It was a Christmas gift and my dad decided he should have the first flight. He crashed it I think, on purpose.... always looking to get out of father-son time he was. :s

Come on! Not want to spend time with little Johnny? :smile:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2018
    Lol... I remember him knocking a baseball I threw him across the street and into an abandoned field covered in deep weeds and underbrush. He sent me to go look for it and as I was looking, he got in the car and left. I did not see him until the next afternoon.

Chasing after his next wife was more important...

To say I have daddy issues is an gross understatement....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    I'm with you there.

I was a middle child though. In a good family kind-of though. I never went hungry.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    z7gvvcqu5zn7.jpg
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    edited December 2018
    Play a lot with this ones. Had a good army.
    4z8wa056mizq.jpg
    9gpczc76a8ha.jpg
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • nooshinjohn
    I prefer the Allied Forces, but nice collection. :pB)

• Tony M
    My dad was in the army. So I had Army everything if I had it. My paper route payed for 90% of what I built and played with.