Nostalgia: Things You Had Growing Up

Options

Comments

• mrbigbluelight
    Options
    No offense but I believe Stretch Monster and Stretch Armstrong are engaged in inappropriate conduct. :o
    Sal Palooza
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Options
    I prefer the Allied Forces, but nice collection. :pB)

I had both sides.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2018
    Options
    OleBoot wrote: »
    s-l1600.jpg

Nice 59 Impala Sport Sedan! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    Just a few I built growing up.
    I built a few of the classic Monster models too. Those were really fun. What happened to them only MOM knows. :'(
    bwuy7u5blqfx.png
    chvsbd8ax4zt.png
    uxtysq8x0oda.png
    I'm amazed now but as kids when we finished these wartime kits we'd immediately take em outside, stuff em m80's and blow the crap out of em!

Some of my airplanes went out of an upstairs window doused in Testors on fire. If I tried that now I would set the State on fire.

We would shoot them up with bb guns but they shattered so we started coating them with testors glue. This way the bbs would make holes and the fun would last longer.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,118
    Options
    s-l1600.jpg

Between the ages of maybe 8 and 12, my mum would buy me a Corgi toy in a little model shop in our local town. He used to send me a postcard when a new model arrived! Apart from a few of them my fiend and I had designated as "destruction derby" examples which we battered up with hammers, they were pristine and in the boxes. I must have had 40-50 of them, including the James Bond Aston Martin with working ejector seat. I sold the entire collection when I was about 12 for 2 pounds to help fund a new bicycle. I recently checked what some of them would be worth - wish I had left them in the cupboard at my parent's house and picked them up a few decades later!

https://ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CORGI-GOLD-JAMES-BONDS-ASTON-MARTIN-DB-5-261-IN-BOX-WITH-2-GUYS-/173231308214
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I had mononucleosis, twice.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    I had mononucleosis, twice.

or dinucleosis once, I suppose.
    or is that stereonucelosis?
    s-l1600.jpg

Between the ages of maybe 8 and 12, my mum would buy me a Corgi toy in a little model shop in our local town. He used to send me a postcard when a new model arrived! Apart from a few of them my fiend and I had designated as "destruction derby" examples which we battered up with hammers, they were pristine and in the boxes. I must have had 40-50 of them, including the James Bond Aston Martin with working ejector seat. I sold the entire collection when I was about 12 for 2 pounds to help fund a new bicycle. I recently checked what some of them would be worth - wish I had left them in the cupboard at my parent's house and picked them up a few decades later!

https://ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CORGI-GOLD-JAMES-BONDS-ASTON-MARTIN-DB-5-261-IN-BOX-WITH-2-GUYS-/173231308214

I still have more than a few Corgi 'toys', that were played with by our kids (i.e., gettin' a little beat up at this late date), and I hope to be played with soon by our granddaughter. :)

Matchboxes, too, and some of the other then-popular 1:43 scale die-cast cars & whatnot.

The Bond Aston Martin was beyond cool. My boyhood friend Jim had it, and some other seriously esoteric Corgi vehicles (e.g., Lady Penelope's car, and some other Thunderbirds things from Corgi). Jim was quite the Anglophile, even as a youth, and seriously influenced my musical tastes for -- well -- the rest of my life. My first hearing of Who's Next was at his house. One of those flashbulb memories. :)

w0tqdfywyp0u.png
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    heh -- good ol' google.
    this is exactly what my above-mentioned friend had BITD (as they say):
    heck, maybe he still does; I lost track with him ca. 30 years ago.

yosu7g9nqmnz.png
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,118
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    heh -- good ol' google.
    this is exactly what my above-mentioned friend had BITD (as they say):
    heck, maybe he still does; I lost track with him ca. 30 years ago.

yosu7g9nqmnz.png

Those came a bit after mine - I had the 1/64th models. They mostly cost between 3/6 and 5/- in old money with some of the larger vehicles costing more. Like this one:

Corgi_Toys_Commer_Model_Trucks_e70dd992-5ffb-4afe-923f-a1f260255585.JPG
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    ooh, I built that B-52! It was yuuuuge!

FTFY

I just remembered I built a Jaguar XKE that has sounds, a working stearing system and headlights that you could turn on and off from the dash I think it was. Now that was a HARD one for me. It was an awesome kit with GREAT directions. It was BIG like in this picture but it was molded in CLASSIC RED. This picture looks like it has lightbulbs where the headlights are too.
    5l4po0bdkgyc.png

Two of my best friends and I shared a 3 room duplex in college in the early 70's. My friend had a XKE Coupe like that one he had semi restored and painted a Porsche gold color which really looked good. It was a piece of junk, but that didn't matter as far as the women were concerned.

If I met a girl on campus who lived anywhere near there and she asked where I lived, I could tell her the street name and mention his car and she knew exactly where I lived. He had the girls he dated believing his family owned some oil wells in East Texas.

Women.......................
    Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Another fun game taken from the youth....Dodgeballs

mu89vt2afgkf.png

YES!! That was a ton-o-fun!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Another toy from my childhood found. I look forward to sharing this with my son.

xostbf2ic2al.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    Anyone heard from @Nightfall lately?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Anybody remember Chemistry sets? Little did we know that we had a Meth start-up business, right in our bedrooms! LOL

Or even an atom bomb. :p

xo11m19edyi3.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, this was listed as THE most dangerous toy ever produced. Why ? It actually had radioactive material in the set.

But....doesn't every toy these days from China glow in the dark anyway ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    edited June 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken, this was listed as THE most dangerous toy ever produced. Why ? It actually had radioactive material in the set.

But....doesn't every toy these days from China glow in the dark anyway ? :)

What's worse is I mistook the stuff in those bottles for candy. :o:p

uj4venyasdze.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_U-238_Atomic_Energy_Laboratory

These things are selling for HUGE BUCKS on Ebay...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb
    Options
    So I recently missed out on snagging an old toy of my youth. Estes Command Copter kit, powered by the venerable Cox .020 engine. This guy was a lot smarter than me, as I launched mine near a wooded area on it's maiden voyage, never to be found again!
    v719llvxui4j.png
    https://youtu.be/IQ7nl1qsyRA

So since a bunch of us are bumping old threads to life, I figured to give it a shot! One of my favorites early in my time at CP!

Update - I was able to recently find a NIB set of the exact same kit! Woohoo! And a MIP Cox .020 engine! :smile:

toiw9mnguicm.png
    q25yxrhad7ai.png
    yvskdlkqf5yn.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,683
    edited December 2019
    Options
    A MIP Cox .020 engine! :smile:

Cox.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

q8v9ubku2c83.png
  • verb
    Options
    Well I'll probably build the kit! Not sure about flying it though! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Major Matt Mason! Yeah! :smile:
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    pfvrzwd9g5a11.jpg
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Options
    5554051_orig.jpg

• verb
    Options
    5554051_orig.jpg

I remember those! Ah, the heating element. Lawyers would have a field day with that one! No offense to my Lawyer friends! :smile:
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Didn't they just use a light bulb as the heat source or am I remembering incorrectly?

• Nesmith98
    Options
    5554051_orig.jpg

I still remember the smell of the goop that was used in the Creepy Crawlers Kit, and that was over 40 years ago. I think it was kind of toxic.

I also remember the noxious smell of the Super Elastic Bubble Plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7-sihuHuG8
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Me too.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    I had German measles, mumps, chicken pox and mono, good times.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    Well I'll probably build the kit! Not sure about flying it though! :smile:

Come on Dave, fly it again. Just find a BIGGER field this time. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.