Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Yep2 wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Kentucky...let the jokes begin! :)

I lived in Henderson for years...
    Across the Ohio from Evansville.
    Coldest temps Ive ever experienced -23°, 9ft snow drifts...
    And I have been to most of the BIG Western states Elk hunting!
    Unreal cold in KY!

Pretty ugly himidity, too. Already had several hazardous air days this spring. Lovely Ohio Valley ozone. If you don't have sinus trouble when you move here you will in a couple of years.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Looks good! Got a special track/album in mind to play first through it?
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    How long is the break-in for those Jupiters, etc?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    edited June 2018
    It's been 30 minutes already Kerry, what goes man....how she sound brotha ? :)
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    I'll volunteer to put on 150 hours. Be a huge sacrifice, but what the heck, I like Kerry. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    send it and I will break it in for you. you can pick it up when you pick up the ushers :p
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • kharp1
    400 hours is what I was told to expect. BS I tell you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420

You'll be on to something else by that time.....
  • kharp1
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I've had this piece in the system for a while now, and, like it so much I decided to invest in it for the future. This one isn't going anywhere.
  • tonyb
    edited June 2018
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I've had this piece in the system for a while now, and, like it so much I decided to invest in it for the future. This one isn't going anywhere.

Atta boy Kerry, once you get a piece that tickles your fancy, hard to let go of 'em. You spent years looking, flipping gear in and out. Sometimes we realize too late we should have kept xyz piece. If your Joule is now playing anywhere near the LA-300 levels, I'd keep that baby too, give it a back rub, send it flowers on it's anniversary. ;)

In my personal observations, once you get to a certain level in audio, the amount of coin you have to spend increases greatly to achieve smaller jumps in sound quality.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    It looks great! What are your impressions so far?
  • kharp1
    Still tight. Hasn't opened up yet.
  • kharp1
    edited June 2018
    Ok, I'm noticing a few things early on. One concerns me and am in dialogue with Rich about it, and that's the gain is lower than before. Even changing the jumper didn't help much. I am turning it up to the 3 o'clock position where before about 12-1 was where it pushed the best. I've switched the 5751 for a 12ax7 and it's better, however, when I tried a 12ax7 previously I couldn't use it due to too much gain, to the point of distorting. This concerns me a bit.

The bass doesn't quite have the slam it did before, but, I expect that to change and I'm not concerned too much with that. What I do have is incredible bass detail!!! Far more palpable bass detail than before, and, I expect that will probably only get better with more break in.

Stage isn't as wide as before, but, I think that will change as it breaks in. It's already changed some. Has very good stage depth, but, it had pretty good depth before. Again, I think these will only improve over the next few weeks.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Interesting. I wonder what caused the gain structure to change.
  • kharp1
    I'll let you know. There were a couple resistors added that may be causing it, but, if I'm understanding correctly I doubt that's it. This from Rich:

The only thing I can think of is that I changed the output loading resistance..
    which is a pretty high value. I did lower its value, but as I said its still pretty
    high (this is there to provide some load on the output of the preamp during
    warm-up before the mute releases and provide a drain path for any DC charge
    that gathers on the output coupling cap). Maybe with your amp, the value is
    affecting the gain due to the loading combined with the input impedance of
    your amp. This is the only thing I can think off that may affect the gain.

The capacitors can’t change the gain, the only serve a coupling function. The 6350 and
    5751 tested fine. The line stag biased to spec well too (not that has any impact on the gain
    as that is fixed by other factors in the circuit).

If you look at the wiring inside the amp right on/at the RCA outputs, you will
    see a small resistor soldered there (one for each channel) across the output. If you feel up to it
    and can get to (reach) the lower one – you can cut them out (you only need to
    cut one lead on each) – this will leave the factory loading resistor on the circuit
    board in place (which is 500K ohm).
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Everything you mentioned w/exception of the gain structure will change, pretty dramatically after a long break in. This is the most frustrating time, waiting for the parts to open up. I know you know that, just giving reassurances.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    edited June 2018
    Give it time....I'd leave it playing 24/7. Worst case scenario, you snap those 2 resistors. Tell us how the sound progresses after a week.

Did ya ever get those JWM speakers fixed ? Or do ya want to trade for some Bose speakers and ERA D5's ? :p:p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Anything working in your favor now that you've got a few hours on it ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Yes and no. I'm having to use an 12ax7 do get the gain I like, but, that puts mids a bit forward and slightly hot. Not something I couldn't live with if forced to, but, it what I want. My left volume motor has developed an issue. It's going back for a volume motor upgrade and maybe some further adjustments, but, not yet. I'm going to put some more break in time on it before sending it back.

I can't say enough good about Rich Brkich at Signature Sound! He's been great at talking with me about thoughts and plans in trying to get this to where it needs to be.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    The volume pot motors in the Joule's tend to strip a gear. I replaced one for brgman in his.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    It gets to a certain point and stops moving and I see no physical binding. Thanks Jesse.
  • F1nut
    There's a worm gear on the motor shaft that drives the gear which in turn drives the knob shaft. One or both are damaged. These are inside a small metal box attached to the motor.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    This is your pre, see the metal box between the motor and face? Inside are the gears.

1wpjq8geb858.png

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    It gets to a certain point and stops moving and I see no physical binding. Thanks Jesse.

Can you turn it all the way by hand?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    In that case, I'm 99% sure you have a stripped/broken gear.

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    I switched the Valvo Hamburg 12ax7 back to the Raytheon 5751 yesterday, and, today when I fired up the tunes it was like flipping a switch with the gain. I'm hearing gain like I would expect. The sound is starting to open up and I'm really liking what I'm hearing.
  • tonyb
    I've read about many owners trying the 12ax7's, nobody really liked them all that much. Judd himself said that they have tried every compatible nos tube in his circuit, and the ones that came with the Joule's and that he recommends, are the best to his ears.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's