Joule pre overhaul...

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    GlennDog wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I can't afford cigars, I'm freakin BROKE!

This is good news For Me!
    Maybe I can get dibs on some of this FS merchandise!

lmao....we are frickin' vultures aren't we.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Well, six weeks has passed and he hasn't even looked at it yet. Before I sent it off I told him I was hoping to get it back before LSAF and have a week to burn it in before packing it off. He said that shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking it's going to be a problem.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Ouch. Sounds like expectations aren't being met. What's the next step from here?
    Well, six weeks has passed and he hasn't even looked at it yet. Before I sent it off I told him I was hoping to get it back before LSAF and have a week to burn it in before packing it off. He said that shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking it's going to be a problem.

• kharp1
    Wait. They didn't rush Leonardo whatshisname on the sixteenth chapel.
  • kharp1
    DSkip wrote: »
    Sorry bud.

I knew it! I knew you had something to do with the delay...probably a devious trick to get me to buy some more gear at LSAF. :)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    This is not good news! I hope he gets his act together and looks at it soon. Keep us posted.
  • tonyb
    Wait. They didn't rush Leonardo whatshisname on the sixteenth chapel.

hangs head in shame....lol.

whatshisname ?
    Sixteenth chapel ?

C'mon man.... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    btw, what are you using as a pre now that the Joule is at the audio spa ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    tonyb wrote: »
    btw, what are you using as a pre now that the Joule is at the audio spa ?

Would like to know this as well. I want a joule one day. I’m loving my tube pres.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• kharp1
    I'm using the Constellation. Put the Carver C19 back in only to find that the problem I thought had gone away hadn't. Right channel is out and it's not a tube. Doubt I'll send it cross country to Roland, and doubt I take it apart. There's another one for the scrap heap.

Wish I'd have jumped on Rons Modwright. The Constellation is fine, but, it's not in that league.

I tried the PS Audio DAC ran straight to the Butler, but, preferred the tube pre as a buffer.
  • tonyb
    Yeah I hear ya man, once you get acclimated to a certain sound, it's hard going backwards.

I forgot where I saw it, but I know I saw a Cary DJH for like 5-6 bones. A good pre to hold you over and you could resell and not lose anything once the Joule comes home.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    I'd like to find one to just hold on to in case anything happens. I hate going backwards, makes it hard to get in to the music, at least for me. Find a solid, simple contender that won't give up much, and rotate it in as needed to one of the systems.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @kharp1

PM @nooshinjohn about that C19, he might be willing to take it off your hands.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    I think it's Daddydj who refurbishes all sorts of carver gear. Maybe give him a shout and see if he can bring it back to life .
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    Any word from Rich at Signature Sound? He should by now have at least looked at it. If not, he should give you a schedule for doing so. Good luck.
  • kharp1
    edited April 2018
    He contacted me a couple of days ago. We're toying around with some different ideas. The Solen coupling cap is underneath the plexiglass circuit board and it can only be raised about 3/4 of an inch and still allow the top to be put back on. I threw the idea out of using standoffs and then building a "riser" to mount the top on, but, he didn't seem to warm up to that idea. Duelunds probably wont work as they're typically oversized. He's found some Jupiter caps that will work. ALso, trying to find the right configuration on the power caps. He's only finding 250v caps in the size needed so he was going to measure the voltage...he thought it was only 150v. So, it's an experiment. Not much real estate to work with.
  • tonyb
    I dunno Kerry, if it was me, I might be more inclined to have him make sure everything was up to spec electrically or performing within it's values. Dropping another 1-1.5 k into it and you can buy a really nice Vac pre. You won't recoop the investment in other words. Caps do sound different, and it's a roll of the dice if you'll like the new ones or not.

Different story obviously if they are in need of replacement.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    edited April 2018
    Solen isn't exactly my first choice in a coupling cap. They aren't horrid, but merely average. If you're going to do it, do it once and do it well.

Just my .02c

H9

P.s. Maybe I mis-read and you are wanting to replace the Solen already in place. Hopefully you can find something better that works. Again Solen isn't horrible, just not as musical as something like an Auricap or Clarity, etc.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kharp1
    Yes, the plan is to get rid of the Solen
  • kharp1
    Well, after a lot of back and forth discussion with Rich Brkich at Signature Sound we have a final parts list. Due to original design by Jud there was limited real estate which required lots of modeling to get a final layout, as well as parts that would work. That left a lot of the Duelunds out as their size just wouldn't work in most cases. I feel like we came up with a pretty good plan.

There are caps in the bottom, underneath the board, and that had to be elevated to allow the caps desired.Even then we had some debate about lowering one of the line stage coupling caps from 10uf to 8. At first I was dead set against this, but, Rich did quite a bit of research, as well as talking with some engineers that specialize in circuit design, and they all assured me that the original 10uf cap was way oversized to begin with and that 6.8uf would be sufficient. Rich convinced me that he wasn't going to do anything that would take away from the magic that makes a Joule sound.

The end result is going to be a Joule with a modified top as the final design will not allow the top to go back on with out hitting the tubes. I opted for raising the board as much as needed, and possible, and I would modify the top to allow tube exposure.

Here is a copy of the parts list...it's going to sting a bit, but, hopefully it will be worth it.ch58b54lil9i.pdf
  • kharp1
    edited May 2018
    I'm computer illiterate, so I just took a screen shot.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    May wanna black out your address Kerry
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kharp1
    Skip pointed that out, I wasn't even aware. How do I do that?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    PM Ken and have him remove the post
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    Any chance you can post a picture of the internals if you open her up?
    AND, let us know how she sounds of course...

Thanks
    Juan
  • kharp1
    Sure, but, the power supply is all that's been worked on so far...still at Signature Sound. Just ordered the remainder of the parts yesterday. I have a few pics of wome stuff he's done so far, but, been too busy to upload.
  • kharp1
    Thanks, Skip, for the help.
  • tonyb
    Jupiter, Mundorf, Duelund….going top notch Kerry. Going to have to let that pre burn in again when ya get her back. Practically rebuilding the whole thing there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    Thanks for posting the parts list. Did Rich estimate his labor cost? Looking forward to your impressions after its return.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Came across this modded one recently, but it doesn't specify it was done by SigSound.
    usaudiomart.com/details/649431831-joule-electra-la100-mkiii-upgraded/
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet