Joule pre overhaul...

1235»

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    tonyb wrote: »
    I've read about many owners trying the 12ax7's, nobody really liked them all that much. Judd himself said that they have tried every compatible nos tube in his circuit, and the ones that came with the Joule's and that he recommends, are the best to his ears.

Every NOS, that's a lot of tubes! Not at all doubting the 12AX7 doesn't seem to be a good fit, but that's a LOT of tubes if he means "every" NOS 12AX7/ECC83. Just the Euro variations are staggering. Must have been several years of development just to test every tube in the circuit. That's dedication, for sure.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    To be fair, he didn't say every variation of every tube. lol

You remind me of that movie where you can't make a noise or the monsters will hunt you. A mention of tubes, and your on the hunt. lmao
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited July 2018
    Just pulling your chain, Tony :D:p . Wasn't meant to be sarcastic, just bustin' you a little. You know, like you like to do on occasion. Things have been pretty dry and uneventful around here.....................

H9
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Just pulling your chain, Tony :D:p . Wasn't meant to be sarcastic, just bustin' you a little. You know, like you like to do on occasion. Things have been pretty dry and uneventful around here.....................

H9

Oh, that's just great...start a war with the mob! :)
  • heiney9
    Can't say bustin'
  • heiney9
    and nut in the same post apparently.
  • tonyb
    LMAO....I know Brock, I can take it as well as dish it out. :)

Want to hear more from the man about the Joule. C'mon Kerry, we don't care if you have to type in your underwear. Maybe Ryan does, rainbow colored stuff and all. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Any additional thoughts regarding the modification, Kerry?
  • kharp1
    I have an incredibly deep stage. The sound was good before so it's not a monumental improvement in most areas, but, the stage has increased everywhere slightly. The depth was a monumental improvement. Still fleshing out the rest of it. Noticing improvement in individual instrument and vocal separation.

The first thing I noticed was bass detail. It has become more detailed and articulate. That still impresses me.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Great! Thanks.
  • tonyb
    Kerry, would you say it's retained it's musicality after the upgrades ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Any updates ? How she breaking in ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    Haven't had much listening time lately due to work. I'm not sure I could say it's even broke in yet. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.