Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    Could alway find a way to mount one of these to pull air over it https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/cabinet-cooling

These are great if you can fit it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW0G46K?ref=emc_b_5_t
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Ctxx24 wrote: »
    D2Lo wrote: »
    @VoodooGTS asked me for a wall mounted shot of the S15 in a PM. I don't have one of those in our archive but I thought I'd share this wall mount shot of a Signature S10.

7mwvemzd1uaj.jpeg

I have my front stage polk audio s20's, polk audio s35, and klipsch r-10sw sub. I now have four of the polk audio s10 to place as rear surrounds and side surrounds.
    7d5xe7pja5uk.jpg

Can you tell me what mount was used?

I would like my wall surrounds to have this same clean look with virtually no wall gap.

You they have the built in hole.. I used it on my 10s but I wouldn't think about it with 15 or 20s.

Thank you for the information. I now have my brand new 5.1.4 media room set up with Polk S20 Fronts, Polk S35 Center, Polk S10 Surrounds, and Polk V60 in ceiling atmos (x4), and Klipsch RS10W subwoofer, all driven by an Onkyo TX-RX920. The signature series sounds amazing, combined with the V60s. The sound envelop is seamless.

All that's left to do is replace furniture, carpet, and paint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Congrats and Welcome to Club Polk!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    D2Lo wrote: »
    @VoodooGTS asked me for a wall mounted shot of the S15 in a PM. I don't have one of those in our archive but I thought I'd share this wall mount shot of a Signature S10.

7mwvemzd1uaj.jpeg

I have my front stage polk audio s20's, polk audio s35, and klipsch r-10sw sub. I now have four of the polk audio s10 to place as rear surrounds and side surrounds.
    7d5xe7pja5uk.jpg

Can you tell me what mount was used?

I would like my wall surrounds to have this same clean look with virtually no wall gap.

You they have the built in hole.. I used it on my 10s but I wouldn't think about it with 15 or 20s.

Thank you for the information. I now have my brand new 5.1.4 media room set up with Polk S20 Fronts, Polk S35 Center, Polk S10 Surrounds, and Polk V60 in ceiling atmos (x4), and Klipsch RS10W subwoofer, all driven by an Onkyo TX-RX920. The signature series sounds amazing, combined with the V60s. The sound envelop is seamless.

All that's left to do is replace furniture, carpet, and paint.

Awesome man
  • Thank you!

Added the final piece of hardware: Isoacoustics Iso-Pucks.

These really open up the s35 center channel for those that will not wall mount.hez5072azmjk.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    FWIW. Interesting perspective on the S20 loudspeakers compared to a couple of other recent/current small, low-ish cost darlings, as seen Someplace Else.
    http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/wharfedale-denton-80th-anniversary-noobie-review.710399/page-3#post-11584387
  • firsttimer
    firsttimer Posts: 87
    Congrats on the purchase I have been enjoying my signature S60 towers since I have purchased them. Wonderful speakers
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    Replaced my 2 Monitor 60's and a CS2 with a pair of S55's and a S30. Nice improvement in sound.

I'm glad I saw this thread as I was going to get a pair of RTiA7's and decided on the S55's.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Horder....when did ya pick up the Marantz ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Hey guys! I’ve joined the Signature Series club ;). Got these when there was a sale a couple of months ago. These are definitely a step up from the T series I previously had...I even went Atmos :smiley:. Unfortunately, due to budget, my subs are still the same.
    Looks like there is another sale on the Signatures again, and I was thinking of getting either the S50 or S55. Opinions? I’m not looking at the S60 because I’m in a condo on the third floor (in a 5 floor building) and not looking to spend more than 600. Will either of these floorstanders be good enough so that I won’t need my subs?
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• felipe
    j23cgn5o5ltj.jpeg

Here’s the front sound stage and the space that I got to work with...sorry for the poor lightning
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• Ctxx24
    felipe wrote: »
    j23cgn5o5ltj.jpeg

Here’s the front sound stage and the space that I got to work with...sorry for the poor lightning
    Are you saying you wana get rid of your subs? Imo for music the 55s work great without subs.. For home theater you always need a sub Imo
  • felipe
    Honestly, I’m just exploring options. I moved to this condo a few months ago (coming from a house), so I’m new to this kind of living and adjusting to having people above and below and on both sides of me lol. The subs dont go very low, and the frequency response of these floorstanders look to be similar...so at the same time trying to free up some floor space and simplify.

• Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    I have two S55's and a sub. IMO they need a sub for music and HT.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    From what I have read, if you want to go subless go with the 60s. You can always just turn down the volume...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^I concur, I own a pair of the S60's no sub required. This is what my ears hear, YMMV.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Ctxx24
    Milito wrote: »
    I have two S55's and a sub. IMO they need a sub for music and HT.

Leme rephrase.. With my turntable setup I don't need a sub..with my modern setup using Spotify a sub is most definitely needed..
  • felipe
    So far it looks like both the S50 and S55 do need a sub, whereas the S60 doesn’t....bummer. The S60s are outside of my budget anyways...guess I’ll stick with what I got for now. Its not that I want to go subless...I just saw the sale and was wondering about the performance of these...now I have an idea ;).

• Ctxx24
    So far it looks like both the S50 and S55 do need a sub, whereas the S60 doesn’t....bummer. The S60s are outside of my budget anyways...guess I’ll stick with what I got for now. Its not that I want to go subless...I just saw the sale and was wondering about the performance of these...now I have an idea ;).

The 60s need one the same as the 55s don't let anyone tell you different ..same size drivers.. One extra isn't going to give you much more bump.. Being where you live I would imagine you will be happy.. I just turned mine on full range.. Played some skrillex and couldn't believe it..
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2018
    You can get the 55s and keep your sub, or wait and save more money and get the 60s and still keep your sub.

There are not a lot of speakers that can give you all the details of the bass that is playing. Mid range drivers are just that mid range. The speakers will struggle to play the really low notes rendering all the bass kind of muddy. having a sub to take the pressure off of the speakers will give you greater clarity between the mid range and deep bass.

You would also be better off getting a better sub, a sealed box SVS would really take things up a notch both for music and movies.

Don't let the fact that you live in a condo scare you off from getting bigger speakers. It's not about the size of the speakers, it's about YOU being considerate of your neighbors. If you are playing your system during the weekdays turn it down some at 9pm, on weekends make turn it down at 10pm. I live in a condo and that's what I do.

Then again, if you are in one of the newer crappy all wood with no insulation between units condos that they are putting up these days, it won't matter how low the volume is, your neighbors will hear you.

So the same rules apply, just pray you have decent neighbors that won't mind.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    I agree the S60 don't need a sub for music.

We had a party for one of my kids when I first got my S60's. All the hip-hop they were playing was bass heavy so I turned off the sub putting the S60 in full range. They sounded darn good with no sub. a few weeks latter we were watching a movie, oops forgot to turn the sub on.

S60 sound good with no sub, add a sub in the mix and they are an oh yeah speaker.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Yeah, my system is strictly 2 channel music. Must be my space, as a sub with the S60's would be overkill.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I vote sell the condo and get 4 subs.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Save a little extra and go for the 60s. You can find good deals if you are patient and shop around. They are a terrific speaker and great for music and ht.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • felipe
    Many thanks to all of you for your insight :). I do live in an older condo ( built in the 70s lol) so I assume its well-insulated ( it survived hurricane Irma..so thats sayin’ something Imo ). I saw a really good price on the S55s ( a little over 200 each :) ) from a reputable online retailer that I’ve purchased items from the past...so I bit the bullet and ordered a pair...couldn’t pass on it. If worse comes to worse, I got 60 days to return if they are not to my liking.

• Ctxx24
    DSkip wrote: »

The 60s need one the same as the 55s don't let anyone tell you different ..same size drivers.. One extra isn't going to give you much more bump.. Being where you live I would imagine you will be happy.. I just turned mine on full range.. Played some skrillex and couldn't believe it..

I'm sorry but I've had both and the 55 digs ok but the 60 is a different beast. It isn't just the extra driver. The speaker itself is about twice the internal volume of the 55. The sheer size difference can be staggering if you haven't seen them side by side.

There is more to a speaker than just the drivers.

OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion
  • Ctxx24
    Many thanks to all of you for your insight :). I do live in an older condo ( built in the 70s lol) so I assume its well-insulated ( it survived hurricane Irma..so thats sayin’ something Imo ). I saw a really good price on the S55s ( a little over 200 each :) ) from a reputable online retailer that I’ve purchased items from the past...so I bit the bullet and ordered a pair...couldn’t pass on it. If worse comes to worse, I got 60 days to return if they are not to my liking.

Let us know..
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    DSkip wrote: »

I'm sorry but I've had both and the 55 digs ok but the 60 is a different beast. It isn't just the extra driver. The speaker itself is about twice the internal volume of the 55. The sheer size difference can be staggering if you haven't seen them side by side.

There is more to a speaker than just the drivers.

OK lol I have heard them both side by side and there was very little difference base wise there is no difference in my opinion

Just curious were they properly set up with good power or was it just in Best Buy? Cause that setup is terrible...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer