Equipment Racks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I want to know how stoned this guy was when he reviewed this rack and wrote this:

"Components placed on it will sound more upbeat and lively, which will be right up the alley of Naim-oriented people. By this I mean that if timing and a rhythmic quality is valued above everything else, this rack might be an excellent choice. However, it tends to harden and flatten the sound in a way that does not complement my system."
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I want to know how stoned this guy was when he reviewed this rack and wrote this:

"Components placed on it will sound more upbeat and lively, which will be right up the alley of Naim-oriented people. By this I mean that if timing and a rhythmic quality is valued above everything else, this rack might be an excellent choice. However, it tends to harden and flatten the sound in a way that does not complement my system."

Pretty sure it will not help his Hello Kitty Boombox! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Yeah, so that's my conundrum right now. Finding something affordable with the least amount of front to back and side to side wobble, that can support a 30lb turntable on the top shelf.

That was my worry as well, that because they have to make these things shippable, that the parts where they screw together would be the weak/flex point. As opposed to one solid length of column like the Adona racks.

517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg

They do look like they can be filled with lead shot, maybe if you insert each individual piece of shot one at a time. :lol:

So I'm sure you knew this was coming :smiley: Using the failsafe @Clipdat method of mass loading one individual lead shot sphere at a time, assuming 8 hours/day with no potty breaks, it will take you 33.6 days to fully complete your task!

Another point for consideration! Hope this helps! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    verb wrote: »
    Yeah, so that's my conundrum right now. Finding something affordable with the least amount of front to back and side to side wobble, that can support a 30lb turntable on the top shelf.

That was my worry as well, that because they have to make these things shippable, that the parts where they screw together would be the weak/flex point. As opposed to one solid length of column like the Adona racks.

517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg

They do look like they can be filled with lead shot, maybe if you insert each individual piece of shot one at a time. :lol:

So I'm sure you knew this was coming :smiley: Using the failsafe @Clipdat method of mass loading one individual lead shot sphere at a time, assuming 8 hours/day with no potty breaks, it will take you 33.6 days to fully complete your task!

Just make a funnel out of a 2 liter bottle and use sand. Then call it a day.

Lead is more dense but sand packs harder and is much easier to fill. And last time I priced shot for reloading it was almost $2 a pound. You can buy a 50 pound bag of sand for about $3.

Unless you just want to spend more money for bragging rights??
  • TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    delkal wrote: »

517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg

Lead is more dense but sand packs harder and is much easier to fill. And last time I priced shot for reloading it was almost $2 a pound. You can buy a 50 pound bag of sand for about $3.

Molten lead fill for the win. ;)
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2018
    delkal wrote: »

517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg

Sand has a high moisture content and should be dried (usually in the oven) before using. I paid around a buck a pound for coated.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Looks sweet. Wish I had room for a "double wide" rack like that.

In hindsight I wish I had bought a single width rack, with two maple plinths on each side for the amps. I think it would look better, and certainly provide better airflow for the amps. In fact, I have been wondering what piece of gear to upgrade next. Maybe a rack upgrade is in the cards. :)

all2zq1au08k.jpeg

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg
    Those holes are bigger than what I had to deal with.
    t0t492ud79mw.jpg
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    BlueFox wrote: »

all2zq1au08k.jpeg

Fox,

You've relegated PASS ... To-The-Floor??

Sacrilege!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • BlueFox
    That ‘floor’ is more solid than the rack. It is on a concrete slab, which sits on the ground. Actually, it works out perfect for the Pass pre power supply.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

In hindsight I wish I had bought a single width rack, with two maple plinths on each side for the amps. I think it would look better, and certainly provide better airflow for the amps. In fact, I have been wondering what piece of gear to upgrade next. Maybe a rack upgrade is in the cards. :)

all2zq1au08k.jpeg

Bud, It looks to me like you could have the existing shelving cut in half, re-drill new holes in the shelves and accomplish this.

Utilize the large, lower shelf for you Amp Stands.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    That ‘floor’ is more solid than the rack. It is on a concrete slab, which sits on the ground. Actually, it works out perfect for the Pass pre power supply.

Sorry!
    Not sure where you reside. I (mistakenly) assumed you lived in a home with a basement (like most folks in my vicinity)

Cannot beat the slab for SQ
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • BlueFox

all2zq1au08k.jpeg

Bud, It looks to me like you could have the existing shelving cut in half, re-drill new holes in the shelves and accomplish this.

Utilize the large, lower shelf for you Amp Stands.

That’s not a bad idea. Thanks.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    After a bit of schooling on mass loading, these 3"x3" extrusions from 80/20 would fit the bill. For the main posts.
    pbhrd62gwogm.png

So I was looking for an alternative to the big honking 3" x 3" posts for legs, and found these. Same overall size, ability to mass load, but would look more integrated when assembled.
    w2ms9s6ip1jd.png
  • verb
    Hermitism wrote: »
    517DUFsFnnL._SL1600_.jpg
    Those holes are bigger than what I had to deal with.
    t0t492ud79mw.jpg

For you DIYers out there, a common 2" ID pipe could use these for easy assembly. they also have nice endcaps for a finished look.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oajen-metal-threaded-star-type-insert-2-OD-round-tube-3-8-16-20-pcs/231688691332?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649
    nmf4d3s4t1oi.png

• kharp1
    After a bit of schooling on mass loading, these 3"x3" extrusions from 80/20 would fit the bill. For the main posts.
    pbhrd62gwogm.png

So I was looking for an alternative to the big honking 3" x 3" posts for legs, and found these. Same overall size, ability to mass load, but would look more integrated when assembled.
    w2ms9s6ip1jd.png

Have a link handy?
  • verb
    Yep. Looks like were a custom run and these are surplus.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331341606913
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Shipping just to me is over 50.00 each. So it's 120.00 a piece. Ouch.

I like it, but, it's not for me.

I'll have to stick with wood I guess.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    Tony M wrote: »
    Shipping just to me is over 50.00 each. So it's 120.00 a piece. Ouch.

I like it, but, it's not for me.

I'll have to stick with wood I guess.

I’m negotiating shipping for 2 pieces, which will be cut in half for the legs. Yeah he’s pretty steep on shipping. We’ll see what he comes up with.
  • kharp1
    Yeah, that shipping would price me out. If I was close by and could work a deal out I'd like to try and build a rack with this material.
  • Clipdat
    Can you build one for me while you're at it?
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Yeah, that shipping would price me out. If I was close by and could work a deal out I'd like to try and build a rack with this material.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2018
    I think it would look better......
    all2zq1au08k.jpeg
    That front end, the rack, the speakers, the cable / wire, and surroundings just look amazing. Even a non audiophile can see that something expensive and special is going on in that room!

Having sad that....

I agree about modifying your rack given its $3500+ price and the reduced resale value and possibility of having to ship to sell it. I bet a good woodworker could cut off one half of those maple shelves to make a singe width rack. Then make amp stands with the others using the left over hardware....with some cutting and modifications. They should be able to match the deep rosewood finish. Heck, Samson / Mapleshade might even tell you what products they use to finish them?

Someday, I would love to build a DIY rack like yours.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • kharp1
    DSkip wrote: »
    12 pages... wow.

Jealous?
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    LOL, we've officially come full circle, back to the racks that were discussed on Page 1!
    marvda1 wrote: »

My threads go the distance!
    DSkip wrote: »
    12 pages... wow.

• Clipdat
    I wonder what the functional/real world/rigidity/wobble/isolation/etc. difference is between these two:

S5-5-web.jpg

S3-5-web.jpg

• marvda1
    looks like the isolation will be better on the first one.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Too bad those platforms are small, I can't fit my preamp and monoblocks on the same shelf.
    looks like the isolation will be better on the first one.

• marvda1
    maybe go with the 3 or 4 level rack and 2 amp stands.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    A good suggestion but I don't have any room. I only have room for a rack of this shape/size.

I could put the amps on the same surface as the speakers. But not sure how they would like the vibrations.
    maybe go with the 3 or 4 level rack and 2 amp stands.