Topping D10 USB DAC

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Oh yeah to hell with the cat, don't be so p whipped!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Hahah. He has sensitive hearing! He dislikes classical music. He's ok with drum n bass though!

He's like our child, since my wife and I are never having kids! He's a member of the family :blush:
    afterburnt wrote: »

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Popcorn Pug is too exhausted to make an appearance in this thread.

he or she needs some refreshment.

ahem

:|
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    he or she needs some refreshment.

ahem

:|
    :p:p:p Just imagine what a VFD style screen must look like through those googly pug eyes!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hahah. He has sensitive hearing! He dislikes classical music. He's ok with drum n bass though!

He's like our child, since my wife and I are never having kids! He's a member of the family :blush:

I have two cats, they are like my children too. All they do is smoke weed and play video games.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

I have two cats, they are like my children too. All they do is smoke weed and play video games.

them thar are sophisticated cats
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited March 2018
    We have 2 cats as well. They mainly sleep, eat, play, and give/receive affection with a little shedding thrown in for good measure + the occasional hairball production. They also k!ll bugs & pests from time to time but that can be counted as a part of their "play."

FWIW, they could care less what kind of music I play. It doesn't seem to interest or bother them at all.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I had a cat in the 1970s ("The Bear", by name) that loved to listen to most of the music I listened to -- except she'd leave the room whenever I put on Boston's eponymous, first album.

Smart darned cat.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    The Meridian? Yes.
    verb wrote: »
    Did you return the other one?

I didn't want to name the name, and invoke yet another tidal wave of passion! :smiley:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Listening again currently. First impressions should come later tonight.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have four cats; one from the Humane Society and three ferals I caught in the backyard. They like classical, but when the rock volume goes up on Friday they migrate to the rear of the house. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halo
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have four cats; one from the Humane Society and three ferals I caught in the backyard.

We adopted the boy almost 3 years ago from the anti-cruelty society in Chicago. After I asked them to take him out of the cage, they plopped him in my lap & then he got on his hind legs, put each of his arms around my neck, and gave me a hug. Love that cat! :smile:

bzxx3y5b0059.jpg
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Looks like Pudge, the cat I got from the Humane Society. She was so small she looked like a big mouse. They called her Pudge as a joke name, like calling Bush, Einstein. LOL

Ya, I hear you. The boy was underweight when we got him; pretty skinny. The note from the A-C vet, in his chart, said he needed to put on weight. We used to joke that he was a liquid when we got him but now he's a solid. Poor kid was sick with an ear infection. He used to just flow into positions. Got him to the vet, got him meds, and then he showed his true colors. lol. He put on weight (healthy weight) and now he feels solid. Lots of muscle on that kid.

• Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Some of my first impressions in list form, compared to my motherboard's onboard DAC:

-Increased soundstage width, slightly increased depth, no increase in height. Bigger "sweet spot".
    -More three dimensional presentation, more liquid.
    -No increase in bass, perhaps a slight decrease. I don't want to say the bass was "anemic", but I bumped up the subwoofer gain knob ever so slightly.
    -Brighter sound signature. Not "strident", but just before it. Accented upper midrange and highs.

The overall sound reminds me of a few other ESS Sabre based DACs like the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 and Dragonfly Red. Although with what I'm perceiving to be accented highs. Synergy working at the moment though with the ring radiator based Blackstone TL3s.

I would describe the sound as exceedingly clear and coherent. Noise floor seems to be very low. Per @lightman1's suggestion, I closed my eyes during some of my listening tests and really focused on what I was hearing. There was a lot there to get lost in, again a three dimensional soundstage. A few of my favorite songs got me a little teary eyed, which at least shows that this DAC has the capability of conveying the emotion and feeling of a particularly powerful song.

I tried a lot of genres from industrial rock, solo jazz vocalists, house, drum n bass, downtempo, hip hop, and classical. It seemed to do just fine with everything, with rock sounding particularly good somewhat surprisingly as this can be a difficult genre to get "right". Musicality is high, with a strong desire to keep listening to more music. Rhythm and timing is good, but still not as good as the Dragonfly Red, especially in terms of high hats - the DFR had some of the best pace/timing I've heard from a DAC.

In summary, I'm happy with the purchase and I definitely feel that it performs above it's $90 price tag. Looking forward to logging some more hours on it and seeing if the highs tame out and/or the bass bolsters up a little. I can always pop the case off and roll the OP amp as well in the future!

Another thing I'll be trying with it in the future is an Audioquest Forest USB cable, to compare against the Oyaide cable I'm using currently.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    halo wrote: »
    I have four cats; one from the Humane Society and three ferals I caught in the backyard.

We adopted the boy almost 3 years ago from the anti-cruelty society in Chicago. After I asked them to take him out of the cage, they plopped him in my lap & then he got on his hind legs, put each of his arms around my neck, and gave me a hug. Love that cat! :smile:

bzxx3y5b0059.jpg

Looks like Pudge, the cat I got from the Humane Society. She was so small she looked like a big mouse. They called her Pudge as a joke name, like calling Bush, Einstein. LOL

vrzyef730ohl.jpeg

Now that’s a handsome cat!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Somewhere there's a witch missing a cat. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Some of my first impressions in list form, compared to my motherboard's onboard DAC:

-Increased soundstage width, slightly increased depth, no increase in height. Bigger "sweet spot".
    -More three dimensional presentation, more liquid.
    -No increase in bass, perhaps a slight decrease. I don't want to say the bass was "anemic", but I bumped up the subwoofer gain knob ever so slightly.
    -Brighter sound signature. Not "strident", but just before it. Accented upper midrange and highs.

The overall sound reminds me of a few other ESS Sabre based DACs like the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.0 and Dragonfly Red. Although with what I'm perceiving to be accented highs. Synergy working at the moment though with the ring radiator based Blackstone TL3s.

I would describe the sound as exceedingly clear and coherent. Noise floor seems to be very low. Per @lightman1's suggestion, I closed my eyes during some of my listening tests and really focused on what I was hearing. There was a lot there to get lost in, again a three dimensional soundstage. A few of my favorite songs got me a little teary eyed, which at least shows that this DAC has the capability of conveying the emotion and feeling of a particularly powerful song.

I tried a lot of genres from industrial rock, solo jazz vocalists, house, drum n bass, downtempo, hip hop, and classical. It seemed to do just fine with everything, with rock sounding particularly good somewhat surprisingly as this can be a difficult genre to get "right". Musicality is high, with a strong desire to keep listening to more music. Rhythm and timing is good, but still not as good as the Dragonfly Red, especially in terms of high hats - the DFR had some of the best pace/timing I've heard from a DAC.

In summary, I'm happy with the purchase and I definitely feel that it performs above it's $90 price tag. Looking forward to logging some more hours on it and seeing if the highs tame out and/or the bass bolsters up a little. I can always pop the case off and roll the OP amp as well in the future!

Another thing I'll be trying with it in the future is an Audioquest Forest USB cable, to compare against the Oyaide cable I'm using currently.

What source material where you using to make those evaluations ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Examples of the source material can be found on the first page of this thread in the photos and screenshots I posted.

Primarily 44.1. I haven't installed the Topping provided Windows driver and setup Foobar2000 for DSD playback yet.
    tonyb wrote: »
    What source material where you using to make those evaluations ?

• Clipdat
    Logging some more hours on it right now, listening to past DJ mixes that I've done.

I'm pleased to report that the top of the unit gets mildly warm during use, which I consider to be a benefit. Everyone knows electronics sound better when they're warm and up to temp! :)
  • verb
    So is this a keeper?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Absolutely!
    So is this a keeper?

• verb
    Cool. I need to upgrade my audio on the PC in the office. It’s an ITX MB so no room for an extra audio card. Sounds like a good solution.
  • Clipdat
    I should hurry up and try this AQ Forest USB cable but things are sounding good now, so I'm hesitant to switch out the current cable! Also, I'm lazy.

Did you figure out if your Logitech subwoofer's plate amplifier will power standard speakers? Does it have standard spring clip hookups?
    Cool. I need to upgrade my audio on the PC in the office. It’s an ITX MB so no room for an extra audio card. Sounds like a good solution.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Whenever I read "Topping D10 USB DAC", I think it sounds like code for a sundae order. D10 = Dairy 10 = 10 scoops of ice cream. USB = Unhealthy amounts of Strawberry and Butterscotch (or Banana?). DAC = Drastic Amounts of (whipped) Cream.
  • Clipdat
    You have an overactive imagination!
    Whenever I read "Topping D10 USB DAC", I think it sounds like code for a sundae order. D10 = Dairy 10 = 10 scoops of ice cream. USB = Unhealthy amounts of Strawberry and Butterscotch (or Banana?). DAC = Drastic Amounts of (whipped) Cream.

• verb
    I should hurry up and try this AQ Forest USB cable but things are sounding good now, so I'm hesitant to switch out the current cable! Also, I'm lazy.

Did you figure out if your Logitech subwoofer's plate amplifier will power standard speakers? Does it have standard spring clip hookups?

Not that I recall. You’re gonna make me crawl under the desk and check it out tomorrow.

No comments from Jimmy about being under the desk! :smile:
  • verb

Spring is here! Gosh that sounds good!
  • Clipdat
    No need to crawl, just tell me the model #!
    No comments from Jimmy about being under the desk! :smile: