Equipment Racks

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Clipdat wrote: »
    This is the wobble/oscillation I'm talking about. I'm lightly pushing on the column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owx0bDh9fWY

I think I figured out the problem here. Were you listening to MP3s when your rack wobbled, or were you listening to a better source? I bet the flaws in the MP3s were causing the problems by bringing to the forefront the shortcomings of your rack.

All in good fun! :grin:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    verb wrote: »
    All of you Adona lovers (of which I am one), but can't seem to pull the trigger on 2 large for a rack, check out this site:
    https://www.8020.net/
    Adona uses a lot of 80/20's components to build their racks!

Sorry but I'm quoting myself! So I did a parts list using 80/20 extruded rails, pre-cut. Overall dimensions of the project will be using 5 shelves that are 24" wide, 21" deep. Overall height of the rack is 36" (excluding feet).

If you buy bulk lengths of the rail it would be a bit cheaper. Would have to cut with a metal cutting saw of course.

Price including shipping (sans shelves):
    ack1haf07vir.png

Similar to the Eris model 5C ($2600). The shelves could be bolted directly onto the rails, or you could isolate them in a similar way that Adona does. Key here is flexibility, and this design makes future upgrades (bolt em down now, isolate later) add wings, etc. possible.

Considerable savings here, and the joy of another DIY project!

FWIW!

Or just keep checking my Salamander thread lol....

Lots of good deals on there if you are willing to drive a bit.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited March 2018
    All of you Adona lovers (of which I am one), but can't seem to pull the trigger on 2 large for a rack, check out this site:

Sorry but I'm quoting myself! So I did a parts list using 80/20 extruded rails, pre-cut. Overall dimensions of the project will be using 5 shelves that are 24" wide, 21" deep. Overall height of the rack is 36" (excluding feet).

If you buy bulk lengths of the rail it would be a bit cheaper. Would have to cut with a metal cutting saw of course.

ack1haf07vir.png

Similar to the Eris model 5C ($2600). The shelves could be bolted directly onto the rails, or you could isolate them in a similar way that Adona does. Key here is flexibility, and this design makes future upgrades (bolt em down now, isolate later) add wings, etc. possible.

FWIW!

You left out a number of things the Adona racks have including that their posts are not from 80/20, which cannot be mass loaded.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

ack1haf07vir.png

FWIW!

Or just keep checking my Salamander thread lol....

Lots of good deals on there if you are willing to drive a bit.

Agreed. I did a similar work up on the Salamander design, which I also like. DIY costs are considerably less as well.
    My parts list with 1" diameter brass rods, SS hardware, and 1.5" butcher block shelves. About twice as beefy as the production Salamander:
    75lbj1pzw7hf.png

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Hi @F1nut. If you're talking about shelf isolation then I agree. With this design you have flexibility to isolate the shelves if you want to. Even as a future upgrade. I do like the stanchions Adona uses for the intermediate shelves. Still not insurmountable for a DIYer, IMO.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I may be wrong in my thinking, but, I wouldn't have an aluminum rack that couldn't be mass loaded.
  • verb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I may be wrong in my thinking, but, I wouldn't have an aluminum rack that couldn't be mass loaded.

I love you guys! No spoon feeding here! The rails are pretty thick wall aluminum to start, but here may be a step toward the ability to mass load. 2 sides are closed. Fill em up with lead shot!

33zrwge32ftf.png
  • F1nut
    Had to dig that one up, didn’t ya.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I dug around on 80/20's site, I only see 1 inch by 1 inch and 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch posts. Now, I'm going off memory, but it seems to me that Adona's posts are 2 x 2, maybe bigger.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    80/20 has a 3x3 post as well!
  • verb
    After a bit of schooling on mass loading, these 3"x3" extrusions from 80/20 would fit the bill. For the main posts.
    pbhrd62gwogm.png
  • verb
    edited March 2018
    So a quick calculation of the volume inside the larger posts 36" high yields about 145 cubic inches. Fill em up with lead shot (assume 90% fill density), and you now have mass loaded posts of about 54lbs each! Solid!
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    If anyone in the DFW area needs a rack, I've got two I'm ready to get rid of... no cost. I might start a karma thread soon. One is a flexi-rack with enough room for some big components. Sucks2bme karma'd it to me and I'm ready for the next Polkie to have a run at it.

Very generous @DSkip ! Happy Karma!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited March 2018
    @verb halp!

So I got an email from AA yesterday that featured this product:

"Pangea Audio Vulcan TT Turntable Stand with Vinyl Record Storage"

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVTTX

pgvttx_blk_3qt-LARGE.jpg

The email also included this video which I thought was interesting in terms of the construction and assembly of the rack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cph-lFU_aFs

I like the looks of that x-brace/crossmember or whatever you want to call it. My non-engineering brain says that would really help increase structural rigidity.

Since all of their racks seem to be modular and use the same assembly methods, I was thinking about ordering just that larger frame section with the X brace:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVTTXRS

pgvttxrs_blk_3qt-LARGE.jpg

And using it in conjunction with the standard Pangea rack:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVULRK

pgvulrk_blk_2-LARGE.jpg

Using it as the bottom section would allow me to have the 5 shelves that I desire, as well as hopefully bolstering the rigidity and anti-wobble characteristics of the rack.

I would have to purchase some "sonic saucers isolation discs" since the standard rack doesn't come with it. Or re-use the ones I currently have, but these look a little nicer since they are black and not silver:

AA_SONIC_SAUCERS_BKO-LARGE.jpg

Anyway, just throwing some ideas around!

From the video of the assembly of the Pangea TT stand, it looks like there's little nylon discs/washers that go inbetween the columns and the shelves. However, the standard version doesn't appear to come with these clear nylon discs. I'm not sure what the purpose of the discs/washers are.

They also offer this "heavy duty" version of the top shelf which looks kinda cool. Appears to be only available in the CF vinyl finish though. I like CF. Real CF though. CF wraps aren't nearly as exciting. Can't decide if it looks cool or tacky.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGVUS21

pgvus21_car_3qt-LARGE.jpg

• verb
    Price is good for sure. I like the diagonal braces which would give it more structural rigidity in the fore/aft direction.

If the tubes are hollow you could mass load them to add weight.

Shelves are probably MDF. A bit thin, may deflect/sag over time.

Still it looks a bit lightweight IMO. Not much noise isolation between shelves either, since everything is lightweight and connected to each other. FWIW.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    If I use the 12.375" bottom section with the X-brace, I'd want the other shelves to have the shorter columns, not the longer ones. Just to keep the overall height down. Because I'm still worried that when I place the 30lb TT on top it will cause wobbling.

I wish each section had the x-braces, not just the bottom.

The tube columns do look hollow and could probably be filled.

Regarding isolation, I'm honestly less concerned with that at this point, versus overall structural rigidity and wobble resistance.
    Price is good for sure. I like the diagonal braces which would give it more structural rigidity in the fore/aft direction.

If the tubes are hollow you could mass load them to add weight.

Shelves are probably MDF. A bit thin, may deflect/sag over time.

Still it looks a bit lightweight IMO. Not much noise isolation between shelves either, since everything is lightweight and connected to each other. FWIW.

• Clipdat
    Damn, if you watch the video full screen in HD at 2:15 when he's resting his arm on it and gesticulating, you can see the thing wobbling/vibrating side to side.

What the hell.
  • verb
    Yep understand. That rack is very similar to the one I picked up (interim) until I can either build or buy the one I want.

Assembly should pretty easy. There probably is a single threaded rod through all the posts, which makes it very easily to align as well, before final tightening.
  • Clipdat
    There looks to be individual threaded rods that go through each section. Check the assembly video of the TT version to see what I mean.
    Yep understand. That rack is very similar to the one I picked up (interim) until I can either build or buy the one I want.

Assembly should pretty easy. There probably is a single threaded rod through all the posts, which makes it very easily to align as well, before final tightening.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    They should have gotten the power cable girl to make the video.
  • verb
    Yep. Looks like the top shelf has a hurricane nut in it, the other shelves have through holes. The posts have internal push nuts, with short threaded rods to connect everything together. I actually like that better than mine which has a single threaded long rod top to bottom.

So you can assemble and align every step of the way. Mass loading would be a bit cumbersome as the push nuts in the tubes block a lot (not all) of the openings at the tube ends.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    So I just ran some numbers/prices, and they turn out exactly the same.

However, going with option #1 means that I don't end up with the taller 8.75" bottom shelf section that comes with the standard 4 shelf rack, so it would keep the overall height lower which I consider an advantage. All the upper shelf sections would be the shorter 7.25" height.

Option #1
    Vulcan vinyl version rack, "5 shelf" (By adding two 7.25" shelf sections) - black - $200
    CF Version - $230
    With heavy top shelf in CF - $260

Option #2
    Vulcan standard rack "4 shelf", add on vinyl-edition shelf, black "sonic saucers" - $200
    CF version: $230
    With heavy top shelf CF: $260

• kharp1
    Whichever one you decide on, go with the other one...you know, with the way things have been going for you lately. :)
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    lol. Kerry, what do you think about the slight horizontal shown in this video at 2:15?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cph-lFU_aFs

I thought this thing was supposed to be rigid, but if you watch it full screen you can clearly see the records moving when he's leaning against it.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Whichever one you decide on, go with the other one...you know, with the way things have been going for you lately. :)

• kharp1
    Kind of hard to gauge for sure. Anything screwed together like that is susceptible to more movement than other designs. There's just not much substitution for mass when it comes to rigidity.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do you have this much trouble picking what socks to wear too?

cqm78e08r7io.png
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Actually, yes. The socks that you can purchase at most department stores these days are bs. It's getting more and more difficult to find socks that are 100% cotton.

I actually ended up finding some 100% cotton socks on Amazon that are working out nicely for me!
    F1nut wrote: »
    Do you have this much trouble picking what socks to wear too?