Topping D10 USB DAC

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
I just ordered the Topping D10 mini USB DAC, for my PC rig. It checks all the boxes of small formfactor, USB powered, and impressive specs. Listening impressions/review once it arrives!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B46KQVP

http://www.tpdz.net/en/products/d10/index.htm

361A4331_20180129094705.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=955&dpr=1

616-SLZx1UL._SL1000_.jpg

dVySclTTc2Q6n5jJXCRT_TB2_7D4k3vD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!0-rate.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=min&h=425&dpr=1

f0gT5tC5SJuVUemt7NMA_TB2iAH4k3vD8KJjy0FlXXagBFXa_!!0-rate.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=min&h=425&dpr=1

d10-en-12.jpg

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Nice... their products look well Engineered for the cost.
  • Clipdat
    I don't know anything about their stuff, but I agree the price was right.

Slightly questioning the "VFL-style" display because it just seems like something that would potentially add noise.
    Nice... their products look well Engineered for the cost.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474

Clipdat wrote: »
    Slightly questioning the "VFL-style" display because it just seems like something that would potentially add noise.

If you can hear that noise then you need to call NASA they need your ears to listen for extraterrestrial radio signals from deep space....
    ET could be phoning home

• Clipdat
    I'll let you know if I can detect any high pitched noise coming from the VFL screen!

But I primarily meant internal "noise" added by the display simply being on. Kinda like how Marantz has the ability on several of their high end CD players to turn off the display.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If you can hear that noise then you need to call NASA they need your ears to listen for extraterrestrial radio signals from deep space....
    ET could be phoning home

• Clipdat
    It has arrived!

8yyff1gj0uxa.jpg
    2aabn5icwgni.jpg
    51dl4l24cn30.jpg
    aok9pfe1u3rs.jpg
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Specs are pretty much meaningless. The sound is what counts. I am curious why you went with a hi-res component when you play 320kbps mp3's?

Good luck

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I fed a stray cat once. And that mother ******* just kept coming back.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    I have a variety of digital music files stored in my collection across various file formats, bit depths and sample rates.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I am curious why you went with a hi-res component when you play 320kbps mp3's?

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited March 2018
    Yet initially you did the review on the other dac with mp3's. Also don't expect a $90 dac to really knock your socks off. But I'm not the one who has to listen to said rig.

Have fun

H9
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    It will definitely be fun to review this DAC! I don't have any expectations or preconceived notions, I'm going into this with an open mind.

Interestingly enough, it uses the same ESS chip that's used in several high end DACs including the North Star Designs Excelsio ($2,300) and Supremo ($3,000).

Obviously this doesn't really mean anything, since the implementation of the chipset is very important. Would be exciting to test them head to head though!
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Also don't expect a $90 dac to really knock your socks off.

Have fun

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Obviously this doesn't really mean anything, since the implementation of the chipset is very important.

That's one thing you got right. :)

Let us know what your ears tell you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    For the money how could you not give this a shot.....

Let us know what you think of it for sure!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    JuanR wrote: »
    For the money how could you not give this a shot.....

Let us know what you think of it for sure!
    [emphasis added]

Sadly (and I'll admit this here) I've bought a fair amount of cr@p over the years by applying that logic. :(

Heck, I've done it within the past month :|

• Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Initial listening is happening now. First impressions to follow!

blqsx1l4f3e6.jpg

lzz4s9snhcli.png
  • Clipdat
    Front display works!

yg9dp2dousxk.jpg
    trhvnvsjgzjp.png
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Ok, so before I even get into listening impressions, let's talk about that VFD style screen.

It runs at a refresh rate that is visible to the eye when you affix your eyes on it and then rapidly move your head from side to side, or when you look at the screen and then blink your eyes a few times. Doing these things allows you to see the flicker/refresh of the screen.

It's a slight detail, but still would've been nice if they made the refresh faster so that you couldn't see the slight flicker under certain circumstances.

Not a deal killer by any means, but just means that when I find a final place for it, I might put it so that I can't see the screen. No humming or high frequency buzz from it at least!
  • Clipdat
    @DSkip - You have some gear that uses VFD style screens, right? Your North Star CDP and DAC have similar displays.

Ever notice that you can detect the flicker/refresh rate when doing what I described above?
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    :lol: no, not at all. But still, even sometimes when you just quickly glance down at it after looking at the monitor, you can catch a glimpse of the flicker.

Just trying to be thorough with my review! :D:smiley:
    tratliff wrote: »
    Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    :lol: no, not at all. But still, even sometimes when you just quickly glance down at it after looking at the monitor, you can catch a glimpse of the flicker.

Do you expect to be moving your head this way while using the DAC? Makes me dizzy just thinking about it.

Oi.....close yer eyes whilst hearing the sounds.
    Then perhaps the 60Hz cycling of the display won't distract you......
    To hear music, at times you have to separate from the components you at trying to hear it through.

Clippers.........stop listening to the gear....just listen to what it is trying to do to help you hear that music.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    If I close my eyes I can't listen and post on Club Polk at the same time! :)

It's only the first day of listening, and it's raining heavily here so my noise floor is already raised from the white noise background.

Plus my cat is inside sleeping near me, don't wanna play stuff too loud and bother him. :)
    lightman1 wrote: »
    To hear music, at times you have to separate from the components you at trying to hear it through.

Clippers.........stop listening to the gear....just listen to what it is trying to do to help you hear that music.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    lightman1 wrote: »

Yes 100%
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    It runs at a refresh rate that is visible to the eye when you affix your eyes on it and then rapidly move your head from side to side, or when you look at the screen and then blink your eyes a few times. Doing these things allows you to see the flicker/refresh of the screen.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous complaints I think I’ve ever heard! It’s 89$ dude!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Did you return the other one?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    edited March 2018
    Shrug. I'm sensitive to refresh rates. I use a 144hz refresh rate LCD on my computer FFS.

Edit: Is it really one of the most ridiculous complaints you've EVER heard? Personally I wouldn't call certain individuals being more sensitive than others to visual stimulus in their immediate vicinity "ridiculous".
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    This has to be one of the most ridiculous complaints I think I’ve ever heard! It’s 89$ dude!

• Clipdat
    The Meridian? Yes.
    verb wrote: »
    Did you return the other one?

• Clipdat
    I'm still gathering my thoughts and notes for listening impressions and details, but I'll likely be keeping this DAC.

I'm liking what I am hearing so far.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Popcorn Pug is too exhausted to make an appearance in this thread.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @Clipdat when I move my head like that I hear a rattling sound a milk shoots out of my nose, and I don't drink milk. Lactose intolerant and all that. I hate cows. Anyway it is quite distracting from the music so you should stop doing it even if milk doesn't shoot out of your nose.
  • Clipdat
    LOL, we gotta hang out sometime. We would get along.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    @Clipdat when I move my head like that I hear a rattling sound a milk shoots out of my nose, and I don't drink milk. Lactose intolerant and all that. I hate cows. Anyway it is quite distracting from the music so you should stop doing it even if milk doesn't shoot out of your nose.