Vintage Monitor and SDA Speaker Deals

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Found a pair of SRS 2.3's for $800 while talking to some guy about a preamp he has for sale. Said they don't sound very good...

gijs76ae4mcw.jpg

If anyone in the Portland area is interested let me know and I can forward his info.

Set up like that i can see why they sound bad.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I don't EVEN want to know what the Vaseline is for...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    edited February 2018
    Pair of 3.1TLs popped up southwest of Sacramento. Asking $700. Bunch of wrong info in the ad - can't blame those who haven't found enlightenment - but look decent anyway.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ele/d/polk-audio-tower-speakers/6499377303.html
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Looks like they were ridden hard and put away wet.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Those indented dust caps are right at toddler height. :cold_sweat:
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • audioluvr
    lawdogg wrote: »
    Those indented dust caps are right at toddler height. :cold_sweat:

Nothing that fascinates a toddler more than dust caps and outlets!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Congrats on the 1.2TL's, Would never have guessed they would fit in a Prius! Nice stable of SDA's you have!
  • Rrusse11
    Rrusse11 Posts: 116
    Wow! You got those at a great price. Congrats!
    Seller listed them poorly, good for you digging through the listings to uncover
    these gems.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Rrusse11
    Looked at the pics and read your signature.
    Quite the collection sir! {:o)
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Wow!

I'll bet you were planning on taking one at a time. Right?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Rrusse11
    la2vegas,
    Now those would fit in my Golf. Too bad it's a 3000 mile round trip.
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Rrusse11 wrote: »
    la2vegas,
    Now those would fit in my Golf. Too bad it's a 3000 mile round trip.

@ZLTFUL fit a pair of 2.3TL's in his wifes Scion Tc..... I would have never believed it if not for the fact I helped him load those suckers up into it lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • @Tony M I thought they would fit based on my measurements (one on its back the other on its side), and given that it was over an hour drive each way, I was going to make them fit!

@aprazer402 thanks for the compliment! I am the original owner of those 1C's (bought them back in September 1987!) and have been a fan ever since!

@la2vegas I am in south OC. Where are you located?

@Rrusse11 the seller said they were in "perfect" condition. He also said that he had the IC when I talked with him on the phone. Neither of which turned out to be correct. I didn't know the total extent of the water damage to the bottom plank until we loaded them in the Prius, but I had already paid for them. He said if I had any issues with them, he would give me my money back and would even come pick them up. I respected that.

I am going to need to replace the bottom plank on one of them as it has severe water damage (veneer peeling off). I am going to remove the bottom plank to see if the water got into any of the MDF box structure, but I don't think it did.

I cleaned them up a little last night. Every pair of the large SDAs that I have purchased (3 pair now) has had white house paint splatter on the back! Always a PITA to remove without damaging the speaker. I guess these speakers are too big for most people to move out of the room when they paint!

After a good scrub down, I put some vinyl/rubber protectant on the fronts and backs, and they look brand new again.

Now to removing the bottom plank for an inspection. I think I will start a separate thread on this one.
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • @la2vegas oh my! That is too funny. Polk Speakers always seem to be in someone else's backyard! I think we just like road trips.

Now I remember going to listen to the RTA 11T's when they came out and I loved them. I have been looking for a nice pair of RTA 11TLs for quite some time.

Any pictures of your recent acquisition to share?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • CGTIII
    CGTIII Posts: 1,022
    Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
    Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
    Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
    ​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
  • @la2vegas those 2.3TLs look BRAND NEW! Nice score there. You find those local?
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • pitdogg2
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    After a good scrub down, I put some vinyl/rubber protectant on the fronts and backs

as in what?
    Original Windex or 409 works wonders.

• @pitdogg2 I used Meguiar's Supreme Shine Hi-gloss protectant.
    u9acpncwdsup.jpg
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • pitdogg2
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    @pitdogg2 I used Meguiar's Supreme Shine Hi-gloss protectant.
    u9acpncwdsup.jpg

Did you use that on the drivers as well?
  • I used it on the butyl rubber surrounds, but not the cones.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • pitdogg2
    If it has any silicones of any sort in it those are no good. Could play bad with the glue used to bond to cone or basket.
    Original windex and 409 have a great track record for both cone and surround.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    409 scented spray is a friend of mine for years now. Leaves a good fresh smell. Dissolves nicotine residue in seconds.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • @pitdogg2 and @Tony M , thank you for the recommendation. I went back with some Original Windex and gave them another once over. I'll use Original Windex from now on.
    HT
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    2 Channel (Office)
    2 Channel (Garage)
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    That's a heck of a deal for 1.2TL's... water damage or not. I was on AudiogoN for another reason, but did a quick search on Polk and ran across these expensive puppies in the SanFran area.

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/full-range-polk-audio-reference-sda-srs-1-2-speakers-near-san-francisco-2018-01-30-speakers

Yipe!!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Rrusse11
    SDA SRS 2.3s
    Pair of Carver TFM 35s
    Carver C-1 Preamp
    CAL Icon MkII CD
    RTA 12s, need major work
  • audioluvr
    edited February 2018
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.