which speakers are better?

Comments

• Hahahaha just got notification that my screen delivery for tomorrow has been delayed due to mechanic delivery issues.... @TNTsTunes nailed it! Hahahaha only UPS..did I say How much I hate UPS! And when it does arrive it will be all beat up!
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    at least it's not OnTrac....
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • DVR in hand! C'mon sub!

So tomorrow when my sub comes in I'm going to hook up the dvr and the sub. Since I don't habe my speakers I'm going to hook up my HTiB speakers and see what happens. I'm guessing at low volume them will be fine as long as the low volume can pump out some bass.. Worse case is I blow them little things up..hehe
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Gonna be honest with you, I'm not a fan of how you're trying to get this done. Not just you, A LOT of people approach it like you are, and it's a mistake.

If you're on a tight budget, don't go for the whole system at once. You end up with key parts of the system that are going to let you down.

Start with the KEY parts. Receiver, main stereo pair and a sub. Budget for good wiring and interconnects (does not have to cost a ton for good entry level stuff). I like Canare 4s8 or 4s11 for budget speaker wire and AudioQuest pearl HDMI cables are a GREAT wire for the $$.

Shop smart and do it over a longer period and in the long run, you will have a FAR better system.

Polk eBay store has the S50 towers for $175 each, the PSW 505 for $199 (if that's all you can swing). However, I personally MUCH prefer SVS for a sub but that's going well outside of your mentioned budget.

Accessories4less has something like the Denon X4300 or Yamaha RX-A1060 for $700.

Then save for center, then do surrounds, then in the long run or when it quits buy a better sub...

It will take longer, but you'll have better results.

That's what I did until I lost my mind. I was upgrading one thing at a time and eventually ended up with a decent second system. But then I lost my mind but now I have two fine systems and no money.
  • mrloren
    alan78 wrote: »
    DVR in hand! C'mon sub!

So tomorrow when my sub comes in I'm going to hook up the dvr and the sub. Since I don't habe my speakers I'm going to hook up my HTiB speakers and see what happens. I'm guessing at low volume them will be fine as long as the low volume can pump out some bass.. Worse case is I blow them little things up..hehe

might be a good way to start. be sure to Run Audyssey on the setup
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited September 2017
    Just jumpin in here. If you are lazy or spineless like myself, choose your subs carefully because it's a biznitch returning them, or at least I think so cause I either kept or gave away mine (PICK UP ONLY) I never returned any of them.
  • mrloren
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Just jumpin in here. If you are lazy or spineless like myself, choose your subs carefully because it's a biznitch returning them, or at least I think so cause I either kept or gave away mine (PICK UP ONLY) I never returned any of them.

darn dud where you live... next sub you give away I might do a road trip
  • mrloren
    OH MY,,,, I said road trip not canoe trip.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Yes thanks, someone else already fixed it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dude this SVS sub is beautiful! Haha and I got an SVS shirt with it. I'll have it hooked up later this evening after I get my screen built and hung. Too bad I have to wait until Monday to get my signatures.
  • very nice. Worth the wait to quote the poet
    Carly Simon
  • mrloren
    alan78 wrote: »
    Dude this SVS sub is beautiful! Haha and I got an SVS shirt with it. I'll have it hooked up later this evening after I get my screen built and hung. Too bad I have to wait until Monday to get my signatures.

:):):):)

Wait till you get the speakers, they are a work of art.
  • alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    Well my denon does not seem to be putting a source out. I plugged HDMI from projector to the out on the receiver. Turn on and denon goes into set up and days use tv..but nothing..ugh
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    You have to set up the receiver, all the inputs. They aren't plug and play like receivers of old. Did you read the manual ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • alan78
    We don't need no stinking manuals! Haha

Yes I've read it. I hooked up nothing but the denon out to my TV now. The TV does not show denon as a source. I would figure HDMI is plug and play. If not seriously enlighten me because I'm frustrated right now with it. I've even hooked up some speaker and went to the tuner and it locks on a tune but plays no music. I've tried the video passthrough with a DVD player and nothing goes through. I went into the menu on the small denon display and passthrough is on. HDMI's are all assigned. Now I'm no dummy when it comes to technology but dang if it sure dont seem like I'm doing something stupid. I am getting no output of anything video or audio.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Might it be an "HDMI handshake" issue? I've had devices that wouldn't output HDMI until they were plugged in, unplugged, and then plugged in again.
  • alan78
    I have reseated cables and power cables countless times and even tried different tv's and my projector. I'll habe to wait until tomorrow and call denon and see what they think.
  • Viking64
    I figured you had already. Have you tried a different type of output besides HDMI?
  • alan78
    I hadn't I have a component cable..may give that a try.
  • Viking64
    edited October 2017
    I had to read back a week of posts to see what receiver you got. The X3300? Could it be an HDCP 2.2 issue?
  • alan78
    Sorry yes x3300w. I thought that...cant find info on my bent ht2050. Sure would suck if that's it.
  • alan78
    Looks like my projector is not hdcp 2.2 cpmpliant..now what? But that still doesn't seem like it would stop audio from the tuner even when all video output is unplugged?
  • Viking64
    The last projectors I worked with had 5-wire BNC, so I don't know much about how they deal with newer connections. Sometimes if the output resolution doesn't match a TV's native resolution exactly, you will get no image, although it's odd that a home theater receiver would produce anything that wouldn't be instantly recognized.
  • Viking64
    Are you trying to use analog out to an amp or do you have speakers hooked to it directly?
  • alan78
    Speakers hooked directly.
  • mrloren
    Something is not right. I have never played with a projector but would figure it would work like a normal TV. HDMI is backwards compatible so it should work. Zone 2 might be turned on too, that can be a problem.
  • Viking64
    Page 227 of the manual has a few suggestions beyond the obvious speaker wire/phase tips.
  • mrloren
    I remember seeing a setup video once. the guy had to use a PC monitor that had HDMI to setup everything and turn passthrough on. Doubt you will get sound till setup is ran.
  • alan78
    edited October 2017
    Passthrough is on. I saw it on when I went through the settings on the main unit display. Aggregating to say the least. Haha oh well margarita time!
  • alan78
    It must habe been the margaritas but sure enough I plugged it all back up and the stupid thing works and went through set up! C'mon signatures!!