which speakers are better?

Comments

• @Upstatemax ,

I agree totally, when my Onkyo 818 went out I was not a happy camper, as with my NAD unit also. I have a Onkyo nr656 now so far has performed flawlessly. I want "lol" Yamahas 2070 and a 5 channel amp tp boot or a Butler 2 channel amp and let the Yamaha drive the center and surrounds. Two nice MartinLogan 60s would be nice also..
    Thanks for the shutout Upstatemax, I am new to this forum.
  • @oldshool59

What is your onkyo driving?
  • Oldschool59
    Oldschool59 Posts: 67
    edited September 2017
    @alan78,

Just a note, I just received two Monitor 70 Series 2 today, are the Rti's a better line with Polk, sure they are. I live in a small apartment. But my set-up is very modest compared to what I used to have which was Polks LSi line the whole line including amps. I am happy with the Monitor line I have now, 5 1 set-up. I had the original M70 line way back in the day. Polk is hard to to beat their customer service is outstanding. Sure I have owned other speakers by other manufacturers. But the value of the M70's that I picked them up for under 4 bills is hard to beat. When they the M70's first came out they had a price tag around a grand for the pair. I did see on Crutchfields site the Rtia5's for 299.00 each very sweet speaker.

Oh, the M60,ll where L/R mains they will go to the back as surrounds and my T15's will be used as front heights, working on running the speaker wires as we speak for the front heights, set-up will be 5.1.2 now. Good thing my neighbors are forgiving cause I do crank my set-up up sometimes. I picked up the M70'll on NewEgg..for 169.99 each on 9/15/2017 they came in today. Was going to go with Amazon they have them for 149.99 but the tax ran me off..lol. I didn't have to pay tax on NewEgg. (Alan78) just a note, I am not trying to sway your decision with gear that is totally your choice with gear, speakers and such. Again lots of great tips, and choices that the other members have posted on your thread are good choices. I am enjoying your thread thank you!
    Post edited by Oldschool59 on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    I've had nothing but stellar customer service from Marantz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2017
    I must be fortunate I have a a few Marantz CD players an SACD player a couple Marantz recievers and a couple of Onkyo recievers never had a problem with any of them. I have not needed to contact customer service for either product so no complaints here.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • When my Onkyo 818 went out, Onkyo sent me a box, the shipping label, tape, packing all free. NAD also was outstanding with service. When I said I agree to "upstatemax" post the agreeing part was the bummer in part of my units failing.
    My 818 went on to perform flawlessly for over two more years, I just sold it off cause I wanted the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. and a unit compatible with 4K. I said to myself I was going to KISS this time around.
  • Dang I have written down Polk RTiA5's for 179 each but I didn't write down the site! ugh
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I must be fortunate I have a a few Marantz CD players an SACD player a couple Marantz recievers and a couple of Onkyo recievers never had a problem with any of them. I have not needed to contact customer service for either product so no complaints here.

I've had a few Marantz CD players at this point and I agree, they are rock solid and sound great.

It seems to be once they get into anything HT related they can have issues. Best we could come up with, Marantz needs new software engineers when it comes to ANYTHING HT related.

I feel like Marantz can build something that sounds good in their sleep, but they seem to put next to zero effort into software. The HT stuff seems to be buggy and unstable.
  • Upstatemax
    alan78 wrote: »
    Dang I have written down Polk RTiA5's for 179 each but I didn't write down the site! ugh

Calm down on the p@rn sights and you won't need to delete your browser history so much!!
  • Oldschool59
    edited September 2017
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Dang I have written down Polk RTiA5's for 179 each but I didn't write down the site! ugh

Calm down on the p@rn sights and you won't need to delete your browser history so much!!

Lol...@Upstatemax...umm @.alan78 ...where are them RTiA5's at!!..I have 30 days to send my M70'll's back...please post the link if you can find it again.umm...no I will just keep the M70'll and if you find that link them RTiA5's will be L/R mains...you can never have to many speakers ya know.. Really at that price I will!!
    I was thinking the A7's where 179.. lol..never mind.. lol..mind sees what it wants to see sometimes...
    Post edited by Oldschool59 on
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    RTI A5's on Polk EBay for $195.99.
  • Yep I saw them on the Polk eBay site. They don't have the A3's so that will be an Amazon source. I'm going with an SVS sealed sub and the x3300. The whole system is a refurb..excpet the A3's.
  • Yep I saw them on the Polk eBay site. They don't have the A3's so that will be an Amazon source. I'm going with an SVS sealed sub and the x3300. The whole system is a refurb..excpet the A3's.
  • Upstatemax wrote: »

Hahahahahaha you win the internet!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2017
    Crutchfield has all RTIA series speakers NIB at 50% off, there is a thread about it on the forum.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Oldschool59
    edited September 2017
    Yep I saw them on the Polk eBay site. They don't have the A3's so that will be an Amazon source. I'm going with an SVS sealed sub and the x3300. The whole system is a refurb..excpet the A3's.

When you get all your new gear in, please post your thoughts on your set-up especially your SVS sub I'm interested in your thoughts on it. Have You decided what AVR?.
  • alan78 wrote: »
    Yep I saw them on the Polk eBay site. They don't have the A3's so that will be an Amazon source. I'm going with an SVS sealed sub and the x3300. The whole system is a refurb..excpet the A3's.

When you get all your new gear in, please post your thoughts on your set-up especially your SVS sub I'm interested in your thoughts on it. Have You decided what AVR?.

I am going with the denon x3300. I will. I have a few more measurements I need to take before I fully commit which I should have tomorrow.
  • Upstatemax

If you're on the fence for an SVS Sub, don't be.

They are awesome.

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2017
    @alan78 Welcome to the rabbit hole

Which center are you going to get?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

They are awesome.

Thanks Upstatemax, so many subs out there, I have read great reviews on SVS subs.

They are awesome.

Thanks Upstatemax, so many subs out there, I have read great reviews on SVS subs.

On top of the reviews, their CS is top notch. Also, they offer a 45 day no questions asked 45 day trial period with free shipping both ways. No brainer IMO. Check out their outlet store for some nice deals.

I am going with the denon x3300. I will. I have a few more measurements I need to take before I fully commit which I should have tomorrow.

How did I miss that in your post...lol..anyway.. yeah Denon nice pick..
  • mrloren wrote: »

CSIa4
  • I actually to have to pull the trigger...which I hope will happen tomorrow. I'm at work now so I can't get my measurements I need. Need to make sure the rtia5's will fit when I get the new screen.
    I actually to have to pull the trigger...which I hope will happen tomorrow. I'm at work now so I can't get my measurements I need. Need to make sure the rtia5's will fit when I get the new screen.

Just pull the trigger and don't worry. Worst case, just blow the wall out if you need more room. ;)

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• mrloren
    edited September 2017
    mrloren wrote: »

CSIa4

What color? Reason I ask is I have a black one sitting on the shelf in the garage. Only problem is shipping it might cost too much...

CSia4 is a good center. the 6 is better but if getting a 4 means you get a bigger badder sub then by all means get the sub.
    Post edited by mrloren on
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • alan78
    alan78 Posts: 80
    edited September 2017
    Will be getting black. My only concern now is the rtia3's are rather large and not sure how they will look in a smaller room.

So now I'm not sure if I want to intermingle sig s10's with rtia5 or go for that sig package
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,706
    The center is the most important speaker in an HT rig. Get the RTiA6.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    Will be getting black. My only concern now is the rtia3's are rather large and not sure how they will look in a smaller room.

So now I'm not sure if I want to intermingle sig s10's with rtia5 or go for that sig package

Go for the RTiA1, wall mountable, smaller and cheaper. take the money you save and get the CSiA6 center http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-CSiA6-CHERRY-RTiA-Center-Channel-Speaker-/391841680476 THe CSi5/RtiA6 is the only thing I do miss about going to Signature series. Then again I am now 60% music so it's all good :)

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA1C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A1-Cherry.html
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-RTiA1-BLACK-2-Way-RTi-Bookshelf-Speakers-PAIR-/232413872110

or you can get these for surrounds

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-FXiA4-BLACK-RTiA-Di-BiPole-Surround-Speakers-PAIR-/362089114718
  • Upstatemax
    F1nut wrote: »
    The center is the most important speaker in an HT rig. Get the RTiA6.

*CSiA6*