which speakers are better?

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    kill it = ruin it

Just sayin'.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Having both series I can say without a doubt that the RTiA in cherry is the best looking speaker Polk has put out in a long time. The cabinet shape, the real cherry wood veneer, the perfect color for cherry, the semi-flat sheen, the fact you can spike them, the subtle silver touches on the grill and outriggers.......Polk killed it. Sound wise, they are definitely geared towards HT, but a nice crossover upgrade makes them much better for 2 channel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited September 2017
    Here all the OP did was come asking which is better "T" series or TSi. Now we're moving him to RTiA

AVR Marantz SR5009 $400 https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Front speakers RTi A3 $250 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA3C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A3-Cherry.html Will need stands but for room size these will work nice.

Center CSi A6 $200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-CSiA6-CHERRY-RTiA-Center-Channel-Speaker-/391841680476

Surrounds RTi A1 $200 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA1C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A1-Cherry.html

Sub HSU VTF2-MK5 $600 shipped http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Total about $1850.

That would do nice is the room size

or he could go with the Signature packages

boy we're good at spending other people's money

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • A few post back someone mention the RTi's need an amp to sound good....An actual external amp separate from an AVR?
  • alan78 wrote: »
    A few post back someone mention the RTi's need an amp to sound good....An actual external amp separate from an AVR?

The RTiA7 & 9 really benefit from an amp(which could be added later) the RTiA5's would be the best choice if you have no plans on adding an amp. The larger ones give you room to grow at a later date.

"Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Ran the RTI A5' s on an entry level AVR in 5.1 configuration for quite a while with no problem.

When I bought them did a side by side of the A5's, A7's, and A9's on a mid level Denon. The Only thing I really heard from the A9's was muddy bass. It overwhelmed everything else.

The A7's were much better, the bass cleaned up considerably, but still a little dull. The mids seemed lacking, and the soundstage, as a whole, just seemed congested.

The A5's, by far were the best performers. The midrange imaging was excellent, much better than the 7's, and the 9's weren't even in the same league. All in all, the 5's were the best sounding of the three.

This was years back, and I think on a 3xxx Denon. I do remember the reason was the midrange imaging is what prompted me to buy the A5's over the other two of the series. I also really like the looks of the RTI A line.

I ran the CSI A4 center instead of the 6. But as the saying goes, you really don't know what you're not hearing until you actually hear it.

AVR only with the RTI A line; I would go with the 5's and a good sub.
  • Is the price delta on the SVS actually worth it over a Polk sub? I mean what exactly are you gaining? punchier, deeper, snappier, cleaner bass? And side by side could you really tell a difference that's worth hundreds more? I know being more expensive doesn't always equate to better.

It really sucks I have nothing around hear to go and listen to these things!

This is crazy..last week I was looking at the T series and now Im about ready to pull the trigger on RTi's...sigh..... :smile:

trying to figure out the AVR and the sub right now. The signature series looks really nice but from what Ive been told here and what ive read for movie watching the RTi's are the way to go. We will be movie watching 98% of the time.
  • mrloren
    CSi5/CSiA6 are beast of center channel speakers.

Going with RTiA-5 would be better than RTiA-3 but the OP is budget minded.

I just was at a coworkers house who bought my RTi8. He got a new Denon X4300H. It sounds great but I still like my Signatures better on music.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    alan78 wrote: »
    A few post back someone mention the RTi's need an amp to sound good....An actual external amp separate from an AVR?

I'm running RTiA 7 fronts, a CSiA 6 center and FXiA 6 rears using a Pioneer Elite AVR crossed at 80Hz to the sub. This is an HT rig only. The Pioneer has no problem driving the speakers, but keep in mind that Pioneer Elite AVR's put out their rated power with all 5 channels driven and only drop slightly with 7 driven. With lesser AVR's you would likely benefit from an amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    You can tell the difference once you hear it.

Most budget subs really don't play the lower freqs, below 25 or so Hz. To get below that level you need a really good woofer and a pretty powerful amp. That is the extra investment.

As far as budget subs, Polk's PSW 505 is a top contender. It puts out clean bass to the nod 20Hz range. Depending on the room, may go as low as low as 25-28 Hz range. Anything in the sound track below that, you will never hear. You've never heard on you HTIB rig either, and probably nothing below the mid 30 Hz range either.

The SVS PB 1000, for an example, may get you hearing information in the low 20 Hz range. That extra 5-10 Hz may not sound like a lot, but once you hear it on your own rig, you'll have big smile on your face.

AVR's are a little harder. Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Yamaha are the safe bets for most people. All are good companies, and everybody has their favorite brands. Look for the bells and whistles that you want, and put less emphasis on watts.
  • mrloren
    My STF-2 sounds great My VTF3-MK5 feels even better. Bass you can feel not just hear is the way to go. Then again I wonder if I'm damaging my house!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Yes a SVS is worth the extra money.

I have the sealed SVS NSD-12, and was watching Star Trek BluRay one night. Totally engrossed when I heard this thump, so I look around and what do I see? An empty box that was sitting on top of the sub down on the floor in front of it. Talk about cool!

Just like with separate amplification, until you hear it in action, you don't know what you are missing.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Right now SVS are the best bang and overall sound for the buck. That does not mean you have to jump in to them right away. Search craigslist or other places for something used to grow with. With a good sub even the 30-40Hz range has more impact without being louder.

For amps, again used is a great way to start. I started with an old Hafler amp and pre-amp for ~$300 years ago. What a difference it was over my receiver and other systems. I have slowly grown my system over the years as deals have popped up. Now I have a Parasound amp and pre-amp. It also was an improvement over the Hafler, although, not as big of a jump in sound quality as it is in power and refinement. Should I decide to go with something else, I can probably get what I paid for it, or at worst, loose just a little.

Everyone is great at spending other peoples money, but I have found most of the advice here is great. You may need to filter it a little for your immediate needs, but in general people will help steer you within a budget.
  • @alan78,

I have the Onkyo TX-NR656, 6 months now and it has perform flawlessly. Is it a high-end or mid-high-end unit? no it isn't. All manufacturer have had problems with their units in the past and present. I had a 818 with the dreaded HDMI problem Onkyo had it repaired free of charge. I am new here, but have been coming in here for many years, the ole timers in here and long time members are a wealth of knowledge. I speaking for myself would recommend to research as much as possible on the gear your wanting.
  • mrloren
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    mrloren wrote: »

If the OP passes on that deal, he should let the forum know, chances are someone will be interested.
  • Thanks for the link! I will pass. Wife wants the RTI's. So RTI's it will be.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mrloren wrote: »
    Here all the OP did was come asking which is better "T" series or TSi. Now we're moving him to RTiA

AVR Marantz SR5009 $400 https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5009/marantz-sr5009-7.2-ch-x-100-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Front speakers RTi A3 $250 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA3C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A3-Cherry.html Will need stands but for room size these will work nice.

Center CSi A6 $200 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polk-Audio-CSiA6-CHERRY-RTiA-Center-Channel-Speaker-/391841680476

Surrounds RTi A1 $200 https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107RTIA1C/Polk-Audio-RTi-A1-Cherry.html

Sub HSU VTF2-MK5 $600 shipped http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Total about $1850.

That would do nice is the room size

or he could go with the Signature packages

boy we're good at spending other people's money

This is a very good setup, especially for a smaller room. Here are some good stands: https://www.amazon.com/Sanus-Speaker-Stands-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B004STEH08/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1505932954&sr=8-11&keywords=sanus+stands

I would check the polk ebay store for better prices, but this is a good deal!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    F1nut wrote: »

I'm running RTiA 7 fronts, a CSiA 6 center and FXiA 6 rears using a Pioneer Elite AVR crossed at 80Hz to the sub. This is an HT rig only. The Pioneer has no problem driving the speakers, but keep in mind that Pioneer Elite AVR's put out their rated power with all 5 channels driven and only drop slightly with 7 driven. With lesser AVR's you would likely benefit from an amp.

Have to agree with this. The elite AVR was bench tested with 9 channels driven, and only dropped to 109 WPC from 130, and this was one of their mid level SC series models. I picked up my SC 85 brand new in box for 550$. Those receivers have a surprising amount of power, not to mention the MCCAC can be tweaked anyway you want by the user.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• @alan78,

Not to derail your thread, but you are getting a ton of excellent advice and excellent tips on gear from the ole timers and others on your thread. I have to say those links that (rooftop59) posted are some excellent choices. I myself am having a hard time Not clicking the on the buy on that Marantz unit. 4 bills, pre-amp outs to boot.
  • Would that marantz power rti A5's? At 100watts seems kind of low...
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Would that marantz power rti A5's? At 100watts seems kind of low...

All I'll say is this, my local dealer just dropped the Marantz line because of non-stop issues and poor follow through from Marantz...
  • rooftop59
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Would that marantz power rti A5's? At 100watts seems kind of low...

All I'll say is this, my local dealer just dropped the Marantz line because of non-stop issues and poor follow through from Marantz...

What brands does s/he possibly carry? Online high-end stuff?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Upstatemax
    NAD, Rotel, McIntosh, Sony, Yamaha...

They can get just about anything you want in terms of consumer electronics and they have a nice selection of higher end stuff.
  • What about this for the A5's?

www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

The 4300 seems way more than I need. I'll never need 9 2 channel...ever so if I can save 200 bucks I'm game.
  • rooftop59
    What about this for the A5's?

www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

The 4300 seems way more than I need. I'll never need 9 2 channel...ever so if I can save 200 bucks I'm game.

I think that's a great option. It has preouts for future upgrades. I will say that I think that the marantz has a bit better synergy with the RTis due to its warmer sound signature...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • Oldschool59
    Oldschool59 Posts: 67
    edited September 2017
    @alan78 ,

Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, NAD and others have had HDMI problems and other issues. Doesn't mean that they are putting out junk for lack of a better word. Bad quality control happens, it happen to the best of them. I had a NAD per-pro 7.1 processor cost me 3 g's after 1 month of use it developed HDMI issues. Again not trying to derail your thread, point being, just like everything else be it a vehicle motorcycle or toaster oven thing go wrong. As for that Marantz rooftop59 posted the link to, is better unit than the one I have now so to speak. @rooftop59..I thank you for your research, as for me? I am still staring at that Marantz Unit on accessories4less trying my best not to hit the buy on it..But knowing me? Come the 29th of this month if that unit is still available it will be sitting in my audio rack. Then add a 5 x 200 amp. Best if luck to you alan78 with your endeavor. Keep an open mind with your gear choices and research!

PS..that Marantz unit with the link posted to it I believe doesn't have the latest greatest Dolby Atmos and DTS X, but like you I have no use for a 9 + channel unit. I did see a nice Pioneer Elite for the same price and a Denon unit also.
  • mrloren
    edited September 2017
    Jump on the Adorama signature package and the Denon AVR3300AVR, add either SVS or HSU sub and be done. Going from a HTiB you will be floored.

Have two Marantz SR5010 from A4L, no problems. My 17 year old son play's his hip hop loud on them too.

• Upstatemax
    DSkip wrote: »
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    NAD, Rotel, McIntosh, Sony, Yamaha...

They can get just about anything you want in terms of consumer electronics and they have a nice selection of higher end stuff.

Can you elaborate on which product lines are having the issues? Is it just the receiver market or is the reference line also having problems?

Skip, it was the HT based products; AVR's, Pre/Pro, Universal players.

He did not mention any issues with the Reference, 2ch based stuff.
  • Upstatemax
    @alan78 ,

Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, NAD and others have had HDMI problems and other issues. Doesn't mean that they are putting out junk for lack of a better word. Bad quality control happens, it happen to the best of them. I had a NAD per-pro 7.1 processor cost me 3 g's after 1 month of use it developed HDMI issues. Again not trying to derail your thread, point being, just like everything else be it a vehicle motorcycle or toaster oven thing go wrong. As for that Marantz rooftop59 posted the link to, is better unit than the one I have now so to speak. @rooftop59..I thank you for your research, as for me? I am still staring at that Marantz Unit on accessories4less trying my best not to hit the buy on it..But knowing me? Come the 29th of this month if that unit is still available it will be sitting in my audio rack. Then add a 5 x 200 amp. Best if luck to you alan78 with your endeavor. Keep an open mind with your gear choices and research!

I agree that ANY company can have QC issues.

However, HOW the company handles it, is the real issue to me.

From personal experience, Marantz does not care at all.

Based on the conversation I had with my dealer, I'm not even close to the only one with issues with Marantz.

It's too bad, when it works, their stuff does sound nice.